INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another kidnapping and shooting in Jocotopec-El Limon yesterday

+9
CanuckBob
Thomas Summers
Flamingo
elehne1
saege007
rs6000
slainte39
Sideways
simpsca
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Another kidnapping and shooting in Jocotopec-El Limon yesterday - Page 2 Empty Re: Another kidnapping and shooting in Jocotopec-El Limon yesterday

Post by slainte39 Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:08 pm

The only extortionists I ever encountered were those SOB's from the sindicatos.(government approved extortion)

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Another kidnapping and shooting in Jocotopec-El Limon yesterday - Page 2 Empty Re: Another kidnapping and shooting in Jocotopec-El Limon yesterday

Post by slainte39 Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:10 pm

simpsca wrote:Gringo business owner hit up in El Chante and moved business to Ajijic.

Then you could assume location means a lot.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by manymoonsago Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:29 pm

Gringo business owner hit up in El Chante and moved business to Ajijic.

This is the gringo I was referencing in my post.
manymoonsago
manymoonsago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Ironic; Over the Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:46 pm

manymoonsago wrote:

that makes sense
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by saege007 Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:14 pm

manymoonsago wrote:Re: The gringo who moved his business closer to Ajijic:   presuming that extortion was the real reason for the move, wasn't he involved in a fairly noisy and public dispute about "squatters" on or near his residential property in the SJC area prior to the move?   Seems like that could put someone in the so-called "cross-hairs."

yet,  he still lives in the same house, and moved his business just down the carreterra a few miles with the same business name.
saege007
saege007
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by manymoonsago Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:24 pm

Exactamundo, Saege007....
manymoonsago
manymoonsago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Ironic; Over the Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by GBATRUCKS Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:43 am

simpsca wrote:Gringo business owner hit up in El Chante and moved business to Ajijic.

If we're talking about a certain hair stylist, I've heard from a party involved that that was just an excuse to break his lease.  He moved very close to where our vet used to have her business until threatened with extortion...she folded up shop & bailed to Guad... Why would he think it any safer there?
GBATRUCKS
GBATRUCKS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Black Adder sarcasm

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:54 am

Pedro wrote:
manymoonsago wrote:

that makes sense
sorry,i misspelled. i meant to write "that makes scents" .
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad_Max Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:39 am

slainte39 wrote:
simpsca wrote:Over a year ago there were a bunch of thugs from Jocotopec who visited many businesses to extort monthly payments to not hurt them. I personally know one business that moved from west Ajijic to Guadalajara. Another Mexican left for the US and rented out her hotel.  Third shop owner moved his business closer to town, Ajijic. A restaurant I used to go to closed suddenly. There is a lot of extortion west on San Juan Cosala and some Mexicans and expats are leaving or moving to other areas. 

My cleaning lady lives in Jocotopec and her mother received a call that if she did not pay money they would kidnap my cleaning lady. These are poor people and I drove her home from work for awhile. Yes there is a lot going on out here and I probably don't know most of it.

My question is......
There are probably close to 100 commercial enterprises between Villa Nova and the east limits of SJC, that have been in business 1 year or longer.
How do they stay in business?
Do they...
1.   Pay off
2.   Get passed over by extortion threats
or
3.  Ignore them
???
I have been personally involved in 2 businesses in that geographical area for many years and have never been approached. That's not to say it can't happen, and if it is happening, there does seem to be some sort of selection process or maybe it's just luck. ¿Quíen sabe?
Don't forget Dr Luz in West Ajijic - she closed her practice after an extortion attempt several years ago. I always wondered what happened to her large sign as that was laying on the ground about the same time as the sudden closure. As I recall this happened about the same time as James Don moved.
Mad_Max
Mad_Max
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by GBATRUCKS Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:05 am

James Don moved a few years after Dr. Luz left.
GBATRUCKS
GBATRUCKS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Black Adder sarcasm

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad_Max Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:18 am

GBATRUCKS wrote:James Don moved a few years after Dr. Luz left.

ahhh............memories -

I checked - she closed September 2011 according to a posting on chapala.com - less than 2 years ago

http://www.chapala.com/webboard/index.php?showtopic=30599

Looks like James moved the same month or close to it - http://www.chapala.com/webboard/index.php?showtopic=30586
Mad_Max
Mad_Max
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:41 am

Yes Perez, James and Marina (the owner of the hotel where James was located) were all threatened at the same time and asked for monthly payments or else. Marina and rented her place out and left for the US; she is Mexican/American. It all happened at the same time and I believe their isolated locations were part of the problem.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2