INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

More on the virus

+39
Bubba2shoes
Jreboll
SunFan
CanuckBob
HoneyBee
ElNido
dogdaze
mudgirl
Sorn
Canada_Mike
kamcd
TomQC
cerebrozo
Lady Otter Latté
BisbeeGal
Smartalex
Frijoles
espíritu del lago
gringal
SunshineyDay
gatosigi
lunateak
rckrckr
mattoleriver
lakeside7
CHILLIN
MexicoPete
brigitte
Lucky Girl
ferret
Plan B
kiko
dcampbell757
Gamina
slainte39
sampati
Trailrunner
caligirl108
WillieRae
43 posters

Page 23 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31 ... 40  Next

Go down

More on the virus - Page 23 Empty Re: More on the virus

Post by mudgirl Sun May 10, 2020 8:01 pm

CanuckBob wrote:
lunateak wrote:There is no evidence one is immune from re-infection. Isn't that necessary for herd immunity to work?
There was an article where South Korea has come forward to say once you have the virus you are immune. Initially they said otherwise but then admitted they made some testing errors.

They found that recovered patients were testing positive again, but then lately said that was because they were shedding dead lung cells, which tested positive (not sure how that happens if they're dead), but didn't mean they were reinfected or contagious.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun May 10, 2020 8:33 pm

Probably that the lung cells were dead but the virus attached to the lung cells was still very much alive.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kiko Sun May 10, 2020 10:40 pm

They found that recovered patients were testing positive again, but then lately said that was because they were shedding dead lung cells, which tested positive (not sure how that happens if they're dead), but didn't mean they were reinfected or contagious.
Excellent.  In some ways similar to what happens with immunotherapy for leukemia.  After the first immunotherapy treatment the blood labs will show a leukocyte spike.  This spike will diminish in a few months and then return to the normal range of a healthy person.

And welcome to Inside Lakeside.
kiko
kiko
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon May 11, 2020 7:45 am

Learning about all the ways that Covid-19 can mess with your body... the list gets longer...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/doctors-keep-discovering-new-ways-the-coronavirus-attacks-the-body/ar-BB13SoPn
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Mon May 11, 2020 7:47 am

This is an interesting article I received this morning from the NYT about the virus. It's well written, succinct, and describes just how a person can get infected (shockingly easy) and how to avoid getting infected.

https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the-risks-know-them-avoid-them?campaign_id=9&emc=edit_nn_20200511&instance_id=18384&nl=the-morning&regi_id=130758367&segment_id=27239&te=1&user_id=a9d9e40bdf92103f5c28f0f3f027347c
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by BisbeeGal Mon May 11, 2020 8:25 am

That NYT story is very good and while it didn't cover airline travel it is easy to extrapolate the 'birthday party' scenario to a packed flight.  

Here's a pic of a United flight (Newark to San Francisco), a 737 packed to the gills, this weekend.  While everyone is wearing a mask, it's not going to inspire people to fly again anytime soon.

It's a 6 1/2 hour flight and doubtful all masks stayed in place the whole time or worn properly or of sufficient quality to contain a sneeze.  Very stupid move by United especially since they have touted keeping the middle seats vacant.  United's comment was, what we meant was, we'd keep the middle seat open if we couldn't sell it.  $$$$$

United flight
More on the virus - Page 23 73710
BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Mon May 11, 2020 8:33 am

Dayuum! How scary. Then each one of these people get off in SF and mingle with the people of SF. You are right, money over health and safety.

Love the guy with the gloves texting. If he has the virus on his gloves, now his phone is dirty.

I don't care if they reopen the whole world, I do not have to, nor will I, participate.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jreboll Mon May 11, 2020 8:41 am

Self preservation should be our mantra.

Jreboll
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon May 11, 2020 9:12 am

Exactly, if you feel susceptible stay home. I would have no problem jumping on a plane right now if I didn't have to quarantine for the 14 days upon arrival. I toured SE Asia in February without a problem or mask.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon May 11, 2020 9:16 am

Mexico is reporting 35,022 confirmed cases this morning. The number of new cases in the US has dropped dramatically. They only had 7000 or so versus 15k to 25k each day.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by HoneyBee Mon May 11, 2020 9:53 am

Look carefully at the pictures in this article, basically not a face mask in sight. The point is and its just my opinion, if you are concerned about the virus stay home. All countries are starting to re-open for business and yes sadly more people will pass away.
On another note and from what I read the virus tends to kill mainly older people as well as people with preexisting conditions, so let the younger generation get on with their lives. Please feel free to correct me.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/covid-19-parks-and-beaches-busy-as-vancouverites-soaked-up-the-sun-this-weekend/ar-BB13SE6h?li=AAggNb9

HoneyBee
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mattoleriver Mon May 11, 2020 10:00 am

BisbeeGal wrote:...doubtful all masks stayed in place the whole time or worn properly or of sufficient quality to contain a sneeze.

Serious question: The guy taking the selfie appears to have something extra under his mask. Is this helpful or is it self defeating?
mattoleriver
mattoleriver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon May 11, 2020 10:06 am

Cool!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/health-news/tests-show-uvc-lamps-could-light-the-way-in-virus-fight/ar-BB13QOpt

So, HoneyBee, maybe the sun's rays will help BUT reserving a "spot" that encourages social distancing would also be a bonus...and they can worry about skin cancer later.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by HoneyBee Mon May 11, 2020 10:52 am

Ultimately, you will die of something Very Happy

HoneyBee
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon May 11, 2020 10:55 am

Hopefully later rather than sooner. ;)
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon May 11, 2020 12:42 pm

HoneyBee wrote:Look carefully at the pictures in this article, basically not a face mask in sight. The point is and its just my opinion, if you are concerned about the virus stay home. All countries are starting to re-open for business and yes sadly more people will pass away.
On another note and from what I read the virus tends to kill mainly older people as well as people with preexisting conditions, so let the younger generation get on with their lives. Please feel free to correct me.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/covid-19-parks-and-beaches-busy-as-vancouverites-soaked-up-the-sun-this-weekend/ar-BB13SE6h?li=AAggNb9
I agree as long as they wear masks and practice at least a bit of social distancing.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Mon May 11, 2020 1:01 pm

The flight attendant in the airplane photo isn't wearing gloves as he touches the overhead bin. Maybe the guy texting just put on those gloves to use his phone so it wouldn't be contaminated. Hard to second guess that stuff just from a picture.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon May 11, 2020 1:03 pm

Well, they got the mask part but not the social distancing...

More on the virus - Page 23 Masks10
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Mon May 11, 2020 1:09 pm

HoneyBee wrote:Look carefully at the pictures in this article, basically not a face mask in sight. The point is and its just my opinion, if you are concerned about the virus stay home. All countries are starting to re-open for business and yes sadly more people will pass away.

Yes, mainly, but there are young people who were healthy who have also died. It has caused blood clots and strokes in 30-40 year olds. And now 5 children in NY have died from what appears to be a condition caused by the virus. No one is immune to being infected or dying and I think when things open up, I think we might see those not in a "vulnerable" category showing higher numbers of illness and death. Even when people recover, many seem to be left with damage to their organs. This virus seems to be capable of resulting in a huge range of conditions.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Mon May 11, 2020 1:37 pm

CanuckBob wrote:Mexico is reporting 35,022 confirmed cases this morning. The number of new cases in the US has dropped dramatically. They only had 7000 or so versus 15k to 25k each day.

So true, Bob. I have been recording the daily data each day for the world and the US. You checked the number of cases. I went one step farther and also started recording the daily the number of reported deaths in the US each day at noon our time And the number of deaths might vary between 1500 to 2600 each 24 hours at noon during the previous month

Then three days ago it was 1121 deaths which was the lowest I had seen to date during the 33 days I been checking, the next day, it was 1635 still pretty low, but today at noon I was happily shocked to see that there were only 575 recorded deaths during the previous 24 hours. which was by far the lowest number I had recorded.

I sure hope this downward trend continues. What is so sad is that 575 is still a darn high number of deaths.
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by SunFan Mon May 11, 2020 2:12 pm

ferret wrote:Well, they got the mask part but not the social distancing...

More on the virus - Page 23 Masks10
OK Ferret, so what's holding the mask straps? LOL

Sunfan
SunFan
SunFan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : None....no I'm joking.

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon May 11, 2020 2:14 pm

They really like each other........lol.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon May 11, 2020 2:32 pm

[quote="SunFan"]
ferret wrote:Well, they got the mask part but not the social distancing...

OK Ferret, so what's holding the mask straps? LOL

Sunfan

I sure hope those are long elastic straps otherwise there's somethin' kinky goin' on. LOL.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon May 11, 2020 2:47 pm

MexicoPete wrote:
CanuckBob wrote:Mexico is reporting 35,022 confirmed cases this morning. The number of new cases in the US has dropped dramatically. They only had 7000 or so versus 15k to 25k each day.

So true, Bob. I have been recording the daily data each day for the world and the US. You checked the number of cases. I went one step farther and also started recording the daily the number of reported deaths in the US each day at noon our time And the number of deaths might vary between 1500 to 2600 each 24 hours at noon during the previous month

Then three days ago it was 1121 deaths which was the lowest I had seen to date during the 33 days I been checking, the next day, it was 1635 still pretty low, but today at noon I was happily shocked to see that there were only 575 recorded deaths during the previous 24 hours. which was by far the lowest number I had recorded.

I sure hope this downward trend continues. What is so sad is that 575 is still a darn high number of deaths.
It would be interesting to see what the total number of daily deaths in the US from everything adds up too. Heart attacks, suicides, car accidents, cancer, flu, etc. According to the US death clock over 4700 people died today for various reasons.

https://www.indexmundi.com/clocks/indicator/deaths/united-states

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Mon May 11, 2020 5:30 pm

One thing I haven't seen discussed on this forum, or others, unless I've missed it, is that when COVID death rates are looked at, what people cite is the death rate for all cases recorded to date. That is, the number of deaths for those currently infected, plus the number who have recovered.
Doesn't it make more sense to look at the death rate for resolved cases (those who were diagnosed and recovered or died) when determining just how deadly this virus is? Because if you are comparing it to influenza, or other illnesses, the death rate for those is based on resolved cases, because the data has been around so much longer.
So while the US has been showing a death rate of around 6%, if you look at the death rate for resolved cases, it's a whopping 26%. And the resolved cases death rate worldwide is at 16%.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jreboll Mon May 11, 2020 6:44 pm

A complete picture of the effects of this virus will take many months and probably years to develop. We do know some of these resolved cases are being left with long term sequelae, some identified, and some to be recognized later.

Jreboll
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 23 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31 ... 40  Next