INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

La Mision

+15
Zedinmexico
CanuckBob
David
slainte39
hockables
WDBarr
Pedro
twelveoaks
gringal
viajero
Lady Otter Latté
Trailrunner
itsme
zenwoodle
nickwi
19 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

La Mision Empty La Mision

Post by nickwi Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:33 pm

La Mision
Tonight 6 of us went to La Mision. Tuesday is the “Prime Rib Special”. First, the building is beautiful. The wait staff was friendly and professional. Of the 6 of us, 5 ordered the “Prime Rib Special”. When we were ordering, we asked the waiter the price as it was not displayed on the menu like the other menu items. The waiter checked with another member of the wait staff and told us the price was 110 pesos. You had a choice of 200 grams (.44 lbs) or 300 grams (.66 lbs). The 5 of us order the 200 grams “Prime Rib Special”. When the food arrived at the table we noted how thin the prime rib was cut, but we had ordered the small cut. The food had just arrived and the owner came to the table and asked how everything was. We told her good. Then we started to eat … my prime rib was both tough and fatty. I left half of the prime rib/fat on the plate. But again, we are ordering prime rib and not every cut will be perfect. Of the 5 of us, mine was the worst. In our group not one of us would order the “Prime Rib Special” again. Just a side note the prime rib is served with gravy over it, not au jus.
Then the bill came … we were charged 210 pesos! When we called the waiter on the price, he immediately went and got the owner. We explained what had happen and she informed us the waiter was new and had made the mistake. Remember he had checked with another member of the wait staff. We asked her to adjust the price. She stated she would do that, but she would take the money out of the waiter’s pay! At that point, I gave her my 540 pesos for our (my wife and I) bill and left. 2 of our party did stay and did get 200 pesos refund each and 200 pesos for me. She had not stated if the money was coming from her or the waiter, so I did return and gave the 200 pesos back to the waiter.
In short, the proportions were small, the prices were high and the food wasn’t good. I left 540 pesos poorer with a bad taste in my month and HUNGRY!
No, I don’t recommend the La Mision!

nickwi

Location : San Antonio Tlayacapan, Ajijic, Mexico/ Menasha, WI, US

http://www.viewfromabove.com

Back to top Go down

La Mision Empty Re: La Mision

Post by zenwoodle Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:11 pm

My wife and I ate at La Mision tonight also.
I think we may have been at the table next to yours.
The bill was fine and accurate, but my medium steak was definitely medium well.
The place has atmosphere, but I do not think that they will last unless the food quality improves.
I may give them another chance. Beer
zenwoodle
zenwoodle
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic, but nobody seems to get it

Back to top Go down

Post by itsme Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:54 am

I had lunch there recently and also had food that was below par. I had heard they were so good and was so disappointed. The chef from Tabarka is no longer associated with them and perhaps that is the problem.

itsme
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:29 am

David hasn't been associated with them for several months now, and for good reason.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:54 am

I had lunch there last week and everything was spectacular. We had fish and chicken dishes though and no beef. The mango mousse dessert was spectacular. Perhaps we just got lucky but I will return and see if I get lucky again.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:13 am

nickwi wrote:
Then the bill came … we were charged 210 pesos!  When we called the waiter on the price, he immediately went and got the owner.  We explained what had happen and she informed us the waiter was new and had made the mistake.  Remember he had checked with another member of the wait staff.  We asked her to adjust the price. She stated she would do that, but she would take the money out of the waiter’s pay!  
Take it out of the waiters pay??
For a restaraunt that claims to support charities that doesn't sound very charitable..

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:52 pm

Wonder if it's legal.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:20 pm

[quote="viajero"][quote="nickwi"]
Then the bill came … we were charged 210 pesos!  When we called the waiter on the price, he immediately went and got the owner.  We explained what had happen and she informed us the waiter was new and had made the mistake.  Remember he had checked with another member of the wait staff.  We asked her to adjust the price. She stated she would do that, but she would take the money out of the waiter’s pay!  
[/quote]
For a restaraunt that claims to support charities that doesn't sound very charitable..[/quote]

There is some question about the charitable status of the restaurant at present. Operation Compassion is no longer connected to them, according to an article in the Guad. Reporter not long ago. La Mision has a full page ad in the current El Ojo del Lago which makes no mention of a charitable connection. Tabarka says on TOB that they have had no connection with La Mision for two months. Where does it stand at present?

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

La Mision Empty La Mision

Post by twelveoaks Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:35 pm

Eight of us went to La Mision for their prime rib Tuesday. We all ordered the 300 gram USDA prime rib and all ordered it medium to medium rare and every one's meat was cooked well done. In addition, the sides were not palatable. The explanation we were given was that they were still getting their act together.

The bill for my wife and I was 950 Pesos with tip. In my opinion for that kind of money I will go to St. Remy. They know what they are doing.

twelveoaks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:39 pm

sounds like a place to avoid like the plague.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by WDBarr Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:09 pm

Trailrunner wrote:David hasn't been associated with them for several months now, and for good reason.

Instead of spreading rumors, why not state the reason?

We went to Tabarka recently and overheard David bad mouthing La Mision for reasons that sounded petty to us.
Now Tabarka could serve gold plated tapas and we would not return. I wonder if David knows how vindictive and small he looks, going from table to table in an attempt to ruin La Mision in the eyes of his customers?

It would have been better for him to remove himself and then just keep quiet. Instead, he has lost us as customers, and we used to take every visitor who came to our home to Tabarka for dinner. Never again.

We have been to La Mision a number of times and find the food to be good, the service attentive and the prices reasonable. Readers of this forum know that there are a number of people with a vendetta against anything related to Christian missions, and have something destructive to add though they have never eaten at La Mision. They should be ignored and their comments avoided, as Pedro says, like the plague.

WDBarr
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:57 pm

No rumor. David is no longer associated. If you want to know why, ask David.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:34 am

Trailrunner wrote:David hasn't been associated with them for several months now, and for good reason.

Which I am sure you know, and we could find out if we made a trip to Tabarka.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:08 am

And the crusading continues.........

edit...this was in response to a post by gringal which disappeared....very suddenly.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:45 am

[quote="slainte39"]And the crusading continues.........

edit...this was in response to a post by gringal which disappeared....very suddenly.[/quote]

Your implication is????  I've made a point of not posting on this forum because any opinion offered is bound to start the kind of meaningless ankle biting in which some people specialize.  I'm now outta here, again.  I don't need the aggravation.  

For the curious:  I offered the opinion that WDBarr, who is probably the proprietor of la Mision, was giving a praiseworthy review of his own restaurant.......a questionable practice at the least.
He's also casting himself as a victim of a "vendetta" against Christian missionaries; a common ploy.  Pathetic.
He obviously doesn't know what a "vendetta" means in the old country.  If not everyone is in favor of messing with people's beliefs or lack of them while offering charity, so be it.  It is obvious that those who [b]are [/b]in favor of it never let up.

I haven't asked for or heard David's (Tabarka) opinions. The excellent food he offers is his best advertising.

My opinion is that the restaurant should stand on its own merits.  If it can't, no amount of good intentions will create a profit.  I have eaten there, as have friends.  There is plenty of competition.  When they offfer a PRIME rated, prime rib dinner, au jus rather than buried in gravy, at a reasonable price, they will have plenty of loyal customers.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:03 pm

This whole kerfuffle over a restaurant has been ridiculous from the beginning.
Eat there if you want too. Don' t eat there if you don' t want to. Ferret out the motives of the owners if it gives you satisfaction. Protect the poor, naive Mexicans from the marauding missionaries if you must. Eat at Tabarka or La Mision or at the taco cart on the corner or on fluffed up pillows on your bed. Or don' t eat at all. Just. Enough. Already.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:03 pm

viajero wrote:
nickwi wrote:
For a restaraunt that claims to support charities that doesn't sound very charitable..
Bump.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:51 pm

gringal wrote:
slainte39 wrote:And the crusading continues.........

edit...this was in response to a post by gringal which disappeared....very suddenly.

Your implication is????  I've made a point of not posting on this forum because any opinion offered is bound to start the kind of meaningless ankle biting in which some people specialize.  I'm now outta here, again.  I don't need the aggravation.  

No implication....what I said is what I meant,
I have not eaten at the restaurant and probably never will, but why the endless tirade on 3 different boards about the place.
Ankle biting? Very Happy ....I'd rather go for the throat and get the job done.
At least you put your post back up in a paraphrased manner and resigned.
Mission accomplished.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:40 pm

Ankle biting implies a small dog with a mean disposition.

If your mission was accomplished, why are you back on the attack?
How about declaring it over, instead? Merry Christmas.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:50 pm

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:29 pm

gringal wrote:Ankle biting implies a small dog with a mean disposition

Are these your last words?

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:32 pm

gringal wrote:

If your mission was accomplished, why are you back on the attack?

Are these your last words?
If so.....!Hallelujah!  and a Merry Christmas

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:11 am

Taking opportunities to publicly criticize and condemn others ... about their motives for helping hungry kids???

Sad

Multiple times... multiple boards

So very Sad

Repeatedly posting this rant and repeatedly posting your disdain for this board...

Sad & a little Annoying

Have a nice day Beer
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:30 am

There are plenty of thoughtful, intelligent and civilized people on this board. Even if I seldom post, I enjoy reading their opinions.

My disdain is not for the board, but for certain individuals who go on the attack for no good reason and with no provocation except some peculiar enmity they have developed and hang onto.  That's REALLY sad.

Now that you've added your support to this kind of thing, Hocks, you have a nice day too. :29:  :30:

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:28 am

I agree. Thoughtful, intelligent and civilized people can recognize a personal enmity even when it is their own and then make a decision to just let it go.
Happy Holidays everyone!
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next