INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Canela's at La Mision is already gone!

+4
islandiver
slainte39
Lady Otter Latté
gringal
8 posters

Go down

Canela's at La Mision is already gone! Empty Canela's at La Mision is already gone!

Post by gringal Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:55 pm

Seen on TOB: They left and moved NOB.
Wonder what the backstory on that is.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Canela's at La Mision is already gone! Empty Re: Canela's at La Mision is already gone!

Post by Lady Otter Latté Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:44 pm

Well, shoot! Had a delicious lunch there a week or so ago and was looking forward to another visit.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Canela's at La Mision is already gone! Empty Re: Canela's at La Mision is already gone!

Post by slainte39 Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:59 pm

gringal wrote:Seen on TOB:  They left and moved NOB.

If you got a backstory on every restaurant closing, you would have a lengthy novel. Not that important to me but probably a case of oil and water not mixing in the same container.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:07 pm

That is too bad. It seemed like a great idea.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by islandiver Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:48 am

slainte39 wrote:

If you got a backstory on every restaurant closing, you would have a lengthy novel. Not that important to me but probably a case of oil and water not mixing in the same container.

Did they try French fries with pozole?

islandiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by suegarn Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:36 am

They didn't last long at either of their locations. Hopefully, they'll be successful in whatever they choose to do next.

suegarn
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:10 am

islandiver wrote:
slainte39 wrote:

Did they try French fries with pozole?

Yes, but not enough people here from Quebec to make it profitable.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by WDBarr Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:29 am

Slante39 is on to something. We went for a late breakfast one morning and learned that La Mision - having agreed to allow Canela's to operate in that space until 2pm - was  insisting that their menu be distributed after noon. I think someone took notice of how much business Canela's was getting and got jealous of the attention paid to the new place. La Mision has been inconsistent in the quality of their food and service. If that young couple was lured into a partnership then screwed over, I will never go there again. Charity my a.... I am growing very suspicious of these businesses that make a profit calling themselves charities - just because you give a donation to organizations that help people, it does not make your company a charitable organization - it makes you a generous person, perhaps, but does not qualify you for all the tax exemptions afforded nonprofits. And, many of these for-profit "charities" are US citizens who would be subject to US taxes for any income they make.

WDBarr
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:29 pm

Unless we hear from the Canela people, we can only guess. Since they were said to have moved NOB, we'll probably never know.
I think Slainte nailed it. scratch

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:39 pm

I went with a friend once to the small rancho east of Chapala to help him distribute the food that was being donated from La Mission that day. It was Sopa Albondigas, it is supposed to be delivered every week but I was told by the recipients that it does not happen every week. The people setting up and dishing it out were very nice, organized, efficient, and enthusiastic. The villagers lined up with their containers in the gazebo on the plaza, gratefully received their supply and checked their names off the list. There was plenty of soup for all the recipients.
I am skeptical of this organization and it's altruistic mission statement and was curious to see if this program really existed, it does. The only thing that raised my eyebrows was that it does not happen every week as promised.

Apart from this, I am still skeptical.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveP Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:32 pm

WDBarr wrote:Slante39 is on to something. We went for a late breakfast one morning and learned that La Mision - having agreed to allow Canela's to operate in that space until 2pm - was  insisting that their menu be distributed after noon. I think someone took notice of how much business Canela's was getting and got jealous of the attention paid to the new place. La Mision has been inconsistent in the quality of their food and service. If that young couple was lured into a partnership then screwed over, I will never go there again. Charity my a.... I am growing very suspicious of these businesses that make a profit calling themselves charities - just because you give a donation to organizations that help people, it does not make your company a charitable organization - it makes you a generous person, perhaps, but does not qualify you for all the tax exemptions afforded nonprofits. And, many of these for-profit "charities" are US citizens who would be subject to US taxes for any income they make.

Us citizens operating in Mexico are protected by the US/Mexico tax treaty that says that income arising in Mexico will only be taxed in the country in which it arises. It doesn't matter what the IRS says, just file a treaty exemption. They have to abide by the treaty.
DaveP
DaveP
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : A little English

Back to top Go down

Post by WDBarr Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:35 pm

The point I was making is that just because you donate to a cause, that does not make you - or your business - a charity, as some of these businesses claim they are. You may give everything you make to worthy causes, it still does not make you a charity. Do they have legal nonprofit status, either in Mexico, Canada or the USA? Do they have a board of directors? Are their financial records open to the public? We have given to charities in the area that we support and I am sure many of the rest of you have as well. That does not make us charities. It just makes us generous people. Our mission in life may be to give a significant amount of our income to worthy causes. Even then, we are still not charitable organizations. Besides, I thought La Mision's mission was to provide job training for poor single mothers. That is what was advertised on their menus when they first opened. After they served me a taco salad with cold beans that were obviously from Walmart I never returned. But, I did eat at Canela's Cafe and thought they could be a local success story. La Mision must have thought so too.

WDBarr
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down