INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Too young to retire!

+29
Guiness
RoofBob
Luisa
brigitte
slainte39
Rosa Venus
lotusflower
MyHomeSweetHome
Lady Otter Latté
hkrause
Nosnow
lunateak
saege007
sambrit10
jrm30655
Jim W
hockables
Ms.Thang
Viajero-Tiempo
Traveller
CanuckBob
Intercasa
viajero
zenwoodle
sundown
Pedro
halcon
Zedinmexico
A/C Gypsies
33 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Too young to retire! - Page 3 Empty Re: Too young to retire!

Post by MyHomeSweetHome Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:03 am

Not too long ago, I was reading TOB and it sure seemed like a younger crowd was either here or planning on moving down here. It certainly feels like it has changed and moved in the direction over the past 7 years since we've been here. I think there were always some that I just never met. Although we're busy, we're also home bodies. I don't really like to eat out at the restaurants :-S if we do, we go to the same 3. lolol

MyHomeSweetHome
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:16 am

lotusflower wrote:No real details. Just a population that is too old for us! However, we loved Guadalajara. If there were more young people in Ajijic, we might have stayed.  

A small tip for you all: if you want to sell your houses, you should probably be welcoming the young people, as they might have money to buy your house.

What are you calling young people?  This area is full of them...I can't get away from them (friends of my children and grandchildren) Very Happy Or are you limiting yourself to foreign born residents...if so, that's a shame.
Hang out at the schools in West Ajijic in the PM when the mom's pickup the kids and net work with the younger set of parents that are there...folks in their 20's, 30,s 40,s. Most of them speak at least some English if you don't speak Spanish.
If you are just looking for young Americans that speak English, there is a place just NOB.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MyHomeSweetHome Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:30 am

I don't know that the place to meet people is outside the school, unless they had school aged children.  :)  They just needed to go to places where people hang out during hours when likely to be there.  If there was a meet n greet set up for the age group and 5 showed up, what time was the meeting, during working hours, a holiday when a lot of people are at the beach?   If I were looking for a crowd, I don't know a stranger if I don't want to.  It wouldn't take very long to find someone to hang out with.  Well, if you're not 30 pounds overweight and look decent even less difficult because people will approach you.  30 pounds help, if you want to be left alone!  Kind of freaked me out 7 years ago.  I couldn't go anywhere alone without being literally bothered...not by nice retired people but anyway, I'm fine now, i have my layers of protection hehe

MyHomeSweetHome
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:39 am

I came here when I was 39 and I'm still under 55...I was welcomed from the get go, made more friends than I had ever had in my life... Plenty in my own age group , some older but thats just a number . People here are awesome...so happy you found the Mexicans to be " supercool". Odd there were none to be found in your age group.
I realize these few posts you have written are not much to go on to form an opinion of why you failed to fit in, but you kind of sound like a drag and that might have something to do with your unpopularity. I hope you find friends and happiness wherever you are now.
B.

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:46 am

In Mexico, making friends, is networking. If they only knew one set of parents at the school, it could grow from there. Volunteer to help out at school functions and meet more people (parents) that way.
You have to put some effort into it...they are not going to knock down your door.
What do mean where they hang out?  Mom's hang out at schools, dance lessons, gymnastics classes, swimming. 90% of the people of the age you are looking for...are parents.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MyHomeSweetHome Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:54 am

Yes, I agree it's about networking. If there were a public function, say the globos in Ajijic, there's a cool event to meet people and easy then to be introduced to others with the same interests. There's lakeside clubs of interest. Photography, cooking, some extreme sports. It's not difficult to meet people. Like someone already mentioned, it's a reflection of that person. No one knows that better than I. Two couples can come to visit, one says, these are the most loving people I've ever met, the other have their arms crossed, a frown on on their face, are naturally negative and complain about everything from the transportation to the B&B accommodations and say, "no body is friendly here." Gotta change your attitude.

If I'm dropping off little feet at school, I may think you're odd if you're standing outside the school soliciting friends....if you don't have a child that goes to the school...that's just me.

MyHomeSweetHome
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:02 am

MyHomeSweetHome wrote: Well, if you're not 30 pounds overweight and look decent even less difficult because people will approach you.  30 pounds help, if you want to be left alone!  Kind of freaked me out 7 years ago.  I couldn't go anywhere alone without being literally bothered...not by nice retired people but anyway, I'm fine now, i have my layers of protection hehe

This part of your post, I find very strange.scratch I guess you are trying to say, you weren't in the 30 lb. overweight class?

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:16 am

MyHomeSweetHome wrote:

If I'm dropping off little feet at school, I may think you're odd if you're standing outside the school soliciting friends....if you don't have a child that goes to the school...that's just me.  

I didn't say stand outside like some sex pervert handing out candy to little kids, but if you know anyone there, that could lead to a converation and the meeting of more people. After a couple of times of checking it out and nobody you know...move on.
Not dropping off... but when picking up...that's when the moms congregate around the entrance/exit.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:57 am

I pick up and drop off kids at school when I have them for a few days or weeks and I would find someone hanging out at the school and not picking any one creepy and would have nothing to do with that person. If you are there for a reason it is different but just hanging out is weird.

If you do that in some of the communities I know in Chiapas , it is a good way to get yourself in real trouble. There are other way to meet people.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:05 am

lotusflower wrote:A/C Gypsy: Your first mistake is staying in Ajijic. Unless you want to clean bedpans or helps the elderly in some way, there really isn't much there.  (Speaking from experience.) We loved the country-side, but the expat community is ancient, conservative and intolerant of anyone younger (hence, the "you must be on the lam" comments). Too bad as it really is a pretty place, but the community leaves much to be desired. Well, I take that back, the expat community leaves much to be desired, the locals are super nice!

So, an old age home might work there, if you have the means and the disposition for it.

This is the most uninformed or obsolete opinion I have ever seen. I live in Ajijic and I am not ancient, conservative or intolerant of young people.
I am taking young people without a car to Costco today. Never thought of em on the lam. I have at least three or four young couples for friends
and while we raz each other over the age issue we get along just fine. I can't imagine what happened to you to give such a sour opinion.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:20 am

lotusflower wrote:No real details. Just a population that is too old for us! However, we loved Guadalajara. If there were more young people in Ajijic, we might have stayed.  

A small tip for you all: if you want to sell your houses, you should probably be welcoming the young people, as they might have money to buy your house.

WOW.......while there is definitely an older crowd here, to define them as mainly "ex-military" on veterans pensions is friggin ridiculous. I don't know anyone here that fits that description. I am 49 and have found lots of younger people here. You either didn't stay long enough, didn't leave your gated community or just plain didn't look around at all. Sorry.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by sundown Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:51 am

Lakeside Social Nitelife has diminished in the 14 years that I am familiar with. Ajijic, in the past had bars with bands every nite of the week, and if one bar was not to your satisfaction, there were 3 or 4 more to check out. On Saturday nite many couples came from Guadalajara to dance.
Now , with a few exceptions, Ajijic "sorta folds up the sidewalks at dark".
Chapala in the past was very dead at nite, but now has more activity
especially on weekends, with the activity from Guadalajara, but still not much to offer if you are above 25.
Definitely, Guadalajara has more to offer in the entertainment dep't.
There are only a few "Vets on pensions" left in Chapala, compared to the past, when many came here because they could live on their pensions. Ajijic, now has many people that socialize from 5-9 over food & drink. And enjoy daily activities.
Even "Heavens Gates" will not be to some peoples expectations!
Shop around, there are cars of all colors!

sundown
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:56 am

sundown, now there is an idea for the OP. He can open a place providing a social nightlife for the young, young-at-heart and insomniacs.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:59 am

Lady Otter Latté wrote:sundown, now there is an idea for the OP. He can open a place providing a social nightlife for the young, young-at-heart and insomniacs.

Closest thing they have is the little bar/restaurant/music place in the Plaza down from El Toritoes.  I use to see lots of young folks there on weekends.
For the right person not a bad idea!!

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:18 am

There is The Chamleon, El Barco & Adiletta's to name a few.

Also, the demographics have changed dramatically in the past 5 -10 years whereas there is now more Canadians than Americans in the area. Not many Canadians here on "military pensions".

BTW Lotusflower, if your parents are 79 & 82 then you are one of the ancient ones that you are shunning.......jajajaja. My parents are 10 years younger than that.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Luisa Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:41 am

slainte39 wrote:
MyHomeSweetHome wrote:

I didn't say stand outside like some sex pervert handing out candy to little kids, but if you know anyone there, that could lead to a converation and the meeting of more people. After a couple of times of checking it out and nobody you know...move on.
Not dropping off... but when picking up...that's when the moms congregate around the entrance/exit.

Thanks for my morning laugh. Maybe they should target the moms instead--less creepy.

Luisa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MyHomeSweetHome Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:49 am

slainte39 wrote:
MyHomeSweetHome wrote: Well, if you're not 30 pounds overweight and look decent even less difficult because people will approach you.  30 pounds help, if you want to be left alone!  Kind of freaked me out 7 years ago.  I couldn't go anywhere alone without being literally bothered...not by nice retired people but anyway, I'm fine now, i have my layers of protection hehe

This part of your post, I find very strange.scratch I guess you are trying to say, you weren't in the 30 lb. overweight class?

I hope you know I was trying to be funny but it's true! I am presently in the 30 lb overweight class and i'm definitely left alone, for the most part.  No eye contact also helps.  I went alone one day to Chapala looking for an El Ojo mag. back in '07 or '08. Was grabbed by the director of security at the time and paraded around.  It was very uncomfortable for me, unsolicited attention and I told him I was married!  That was probably the most extreme of attentions.  Another time I was pushing a baby stroller, was followed by men in the street who were taking my picture from behind.  I was trying to get to church mind you, arrived late, there was no parking available by the entrance so I had to park around the corner where no one I knew could see me.  I'm mentioning unsolicited attention from men.  Since then I've spoken to other women who moved here in the under 40 age category that also had to have chaperons if going out.  And some people on TOB were recommending some beautiful young granddaughters coming down to ride the public bus...not a good idea.   I still don't like to go out alone and pretty much don't.  If I do, especially walking, will try to look as homely as possible.  Even my neighbors have had a hard time recognizing me, having never met me unhomely...One day I greeted a neighbor in front of our church, she starred at me and then gasped! haha yep, gasped and told me how I looked...pretty funny...she'd only talked to me walking on the street while I walked my dog. (I'm just average looking, not noticeable in the US)

MyHomeSweetHome
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:14 am

brigitte wrote:I pick up and drop off kids at school when I have them for a few days or weeks and I would find someone hanging out at the school and not picking any one creepy and would have nothing to do with that person. If you are there for a reason it is different but just hanging out is weird.

If you do that in some of the communities I know in Chiapas , it is a good way to get yourself in real trouble. There are other way to meet people.

It's all how you conduct yourself.
I SAID...look for someone you have met previosly, ask questions about the school. There are ways of being friendly without being creepy. No, you don't sit in your car for days, ogling the kids...get real.
Most of my daughter's (she is 35 yrs, old) freinds are people who she has met through school or kid's activities.
If you don't have kids, that makes it tougher, but not impossible. The OP is looking for ideas because nothing has worked.  I'm just telling them where people of that age are. They are not walking their dogs along the beach.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:29 am

Luisa wrote:

Thanks for my morning laugh.  Maybe they should target the moms instead--less creepy.

That's kind of what I had in mind...maybe with some nice chocolates.  lol!

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:31 am

Slainte....
A/c gypsies is the OP and is looking for ideas on how to make money, not friends, they live here and want to stay.

Lotus flower is the social pariah ...

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:42 am

Ms.Thang wrote:Slainte....
A/c gypsies is the OP and is looking for ideas on how to make money, not friends, they live here and want to stay.

Boy you are right...lost my head somewhere along the thread.
Making money?...that's even tougher than making friends.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:46 am

The thread got hijacked by a troll. Evil or Very Mad 
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:03 am

slainte39 wrote:

you got that right. especially with the background the op has. probably would have difficulty working in another market than the one they were in, in the excited states let alone any foreign country.
the only option for the op asi see it is investing in an existing company or starting something that will appeal to EVERYONE. unless low income is the goal and sufficien like mexico jerry.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:05 am

MyHomeSweetHome wrote:  Another time I was pushing a baby stroller, was followed by men in the street who were taking my picture from behind.
I see beautiful women walking around Guadalajara all the time,but I've never seen men following them and taking their picture,you must be quite the looker.Thanks for the chuckle.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosnow Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:07 am

Lotusflower...your words tell us more about who you are, than who we are.

Nosnow
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:10 am

Pedro wrote:
slainte39 wrote:

you got that right. especially with the background the op has. probably would have difficulty working in another market than the one they were in, in the excited states let alone any foreign country.
the only option for the op asi see it is investing in an existing company or starting something that will appeal to EVERYONE. unless low income is the goal and sufficien like mexico jerry.

Beer Ya know

If it weren't for the Money... I probably never woulda Worked for a living...
All in all.... it was kinda Overrated....

You are Never To Young To Retire!!
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next