INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Reason NOT to Retire to Florida

+2
CanuckBob
CheenaGringo
6 posters

Go down

Another Reason NOT to Retire to Florida Empty Another Reason NOT to Retire to Florida

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:44 am

"Rat-Sized Snails Are Invading Florida"

[img]Another Reason NOT to Retire to Florida Rtxylg10[/img]

"Parts of the Sunshine State could soon be overrun by house-eating snails that grow to the size of rats.

Reuters reports that more than 1,000 giant African land snails are being caught each week in Miami-Dade County, southern Florida. The snails grow up to 7 inches long and eat “pretty much anything that’s in their path and green,” Denise Feiber, a spokeswoman for the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, told Reuters. They also have a penchant for stucco (which contains calcium, vital for a healthy shell) making them a menace to homeowners.

Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/04/16/rat-sized-snails-are-invading-florida/#ixzz2QdLrQIAE

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Another Reason NOT to Retire to Florida Empty Re: Another Reason NOT to Retire to Florida

Post by CanuckBob Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:47 am

Escargot.....hmmm, hmmmmm.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Another Reason NOT to Retire to Florida Empty Re: Another Reason NOT to Retire to Florida

Post by brigitte Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:49 am

Maybe they should try to see if they are edible and cook the little things../ 7inches is large so they maybe tough but they maybe a way to tenderize them and sell the in gourmet shops. I am collecting the ones I find in Chiapas so I have a recipe!

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:59 am

They might be a bit crunchy if they had just consumed their daily allotment of stucco?

Last edited by CheenaGringo on Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by lunateak Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:10 am

You clean them out by feeding them cornmeal prior to cooking.
lunateak
lunateak
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:51 am

Well...they shouldn't be hard to catch!
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : goofy

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:04 am

Somebody ought to hack their email to see what's up with their invasion strategy. Ohhhh!...I forgot they're snails. Rolling Eyes

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by lunateak Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:08 am

I found my first giant snail shell while on safari in South Africa. When the guide told my it was a giant snail I was happy to know it wasn't a regular sized snail. Those puppies get BIG! And a lot prettier than the PNW slugs that decimate gardens.
lunateak
lunateak
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:14 am

lunateak wrote:I found my first giant snail shell while on safari in South Africa. When the guide told my it was a giant snail I was happy to know it wasn't a regular sized snail. Those puppies get BIG! And a lot prettier than the PNW slugs that decimate gardens.

And make the icky "slug tracks" on your screen door. We'd always run for the salt shaker...

They'd get in our strawberry garden and they always chose the most perfect one that was just reaching perfection. I found a pan of beer was the answer. They'd flock to it. I've had up to 50 dead ones in a pan. Somehow they looked so happy! I guess for a slug..drownig in beer is the perfect way to go! Beer
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : goofy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down