INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Too young to retire!

+29
Guiness
RoofBob
Luisa
brigitte
slainte39
Rosa Venus
lotusflower
MyHomeSweetHome
Lady Otter Latté
hkrause
Nosnow
lunateak
saege007
sambrit10
jrm30655
Jim W
hockables
Ms.Thang
Viajero-Tiempo
Traveller
CanuckBob
Intercasa
viajero
zenwoodle
sundown
Pedro
halcon
Zedinmexico
A/C Gypsies
33 posters

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Too young to retire! - Page 2 Empty Re: Too young to retire!

Post by Pedro Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:19 pm

Intercasa wrote:Not a whole lot of money in that, people are cheap and to have a car and pay gas and insurance and be available on a moments notice to work a few times a week?  May work as a hobbie but I would doubt it to pay rent and food on a regular basis
when mexico jerry lived here he did it to supplement his small pension but he knew gudalajara like the back of his hand and was fluent in espanole. he also only needed to look after himself. he always had a house rental fer about $85usd. not the lifestyle fer everyone but he was a happy guy and now living even cheaper in thailand

Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by saege007 Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:42 pm

Intercasa wrote:Not a whole lot of money in that, people are cheap and to have a car and pay gas and insurance and be available on a moments notice to work a few times a week?  May work as a hobbie but I would doubt it to pay rent and food on a regular basis

But, it could be a small thing that could fit into a bigger overall work plan. It's been my experience that even though retired, a lot of the retirees don't do their errands and such very last minute, they tend to have their week pretty planned out by Sunday night. I'm talking more of someone being like a personal assistant.

saege007
saege007
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosnow Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:06 pm

Buy a Kentucky Fried Chicken franchise..you'll make a fortune!

Nosnow
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hkrause Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:04 pm

It would be helpful to get a reply from the OP about what they're good at or interested in doing. You still reading this?

I believe that some companies will let employees work from remote locations, even outside the country. Instead of thinking in terms of coming here and finding work, you might consider finding work NOB, getting established at that job, THEN moving south.

I'm guessing too many people come here thinking they want to live, but don't have the means, so they figure they can find a job, open a restaurant or B&B, plug themselves into the already saturated market of arts & crafts people, become a writer, etc. without thinking things through or doing adequate research on whether they'll really be able to make money. Or people think this is a great place to visit so it must be a great place to live and work... only to find out they spend so much time working to get by that they don't have time or energy to enjoy the area.

That being said, there are people who manage to do what you're considering. I think the key is to find a niche that isn't already taken. Maybe you can address your questions to the younger set who have moved here, and find out what they're doing. Or see if you can find some folks who are working for a NOB company from SOB.

Best of luck, and be sure if you come down you stay flexible enough to return NOB if it becomes necessary (don't buy a house, for example). If you find a way to make things work, then you can think about putting down some more permanent roots.

Heather
hkrause
hkrause
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sundown Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:37 am

The poster stated that they live in Mexico.   Because they posted indicates they have already realized a difficult situation.
Many of the ideas posted must come from people that have not experienced  a responsibility for earning an income.  a lack of realism a business world.
As stated before,  any idea and efforts you have, can be duplicated in a culture your competitor will understand better than you.  And, they will probably not have to pay the taxes you pay,  And will be in
a better posotion to buy products at a lesser price, And their labor, if needed will be at a lesser cost (without having to pay IMSS),  And the locals that put the touch on you for Mordida, will be more lenient.
And, the Mexicans would rather buy from their own.  
AND, because you asked the question, indicates lack of passion for a particular profession,  an unstable place to be in...
End the vacation and return to prepare, Bueno Suerte!

sundown
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:54 am

a friend of mine on facebook needs 2 hostesses this weekend fer 3 hours. she will pay them $200pesos each toto.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by A/C Gypsies Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:08 pm

I never expected this thread to generate so much activity...wow!  Thanks to all those who have taken the time to write a sincere reply with good suggestions and advice, such as:  Sage, Canuck Bob, Zed, Traveller, Sambit10, HKrause, and many others.

The trolls, as expected, came rolling out with their curmudgeonly and pessimistic perspective.  I was hoping for solely constructive comment, but there are always a few hecklers in every crowd.  I wonder if any of them have considered the words "bail-in", or "cypressed"... do any of them realize that their precious pensions are about to be converted into worthless T bills?  Do any of the American trolls know how close the Social Security Administration is to announcing it's own insolvency?  Beware, hecklers, you might also find yourself looking for a few pesos before long!

Some of you are obviously able to appreciate what a leap of faith it took for a young couple to shutter a successful business, sell everything they owned (save what will fit in their car), say goodbye to a long list of lifetime friends, family and loved ones, make the 3,000 plus mile drive and learn to live in a foreign country.  Perhaps those who were supportive can relate to our story because it is not that dissimilar to their own.

It is by the grace of God that we made it here, and it is also by His grace that we shall prevail.  NOB is not an option!

A/C Gypsies

Humor : Willing to laugh, if you're funny

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:22 pm

A/C Gypsies wrote:I never expected this thread to generate so much activity...wow!  Thanks to all those who have taken the time to write a sincere reply with good suggestions and advice, such as:  Sage, Canuck Bob, Zed, Traveller, Sambit10, HKrause, and many others.

The trolls, as expected, came rolling out with their curmudgeonly and pessimistic perspective.  I was hoping for solely constructive comment, but there are always a few hecklers in every crowd.  I wonder if any of them have considered the words "bail-in", or "cypressed"... do any of them realize that their precious pensions are about to be converted into worthless T bills?  Do any of the American trolls know how close the Social Security Administration is to announcing it's own insolvency?  Beware, hecklers, you might also find yourself looking for a few pesos before long!

Some of you are obviously able to appreciate what a leap of faith it took for a young couple to shutter a successful business, sell everything they owned (save what will fit in their car), say goodbye to a long list of lifetime friends, family and loved ones, make the 3,000 plus mile drive and learn to live in a foreign country.  Perhaps those who were supportive can relate to our story because it is not that dissimilar to their own.

It is by the grace of God that we made it here, and it is also by His grace that we shall prevail.  NOB is not an option!
before you continue disrespecting people on here as trolls,why don't you tell everyone what you told me was your"skill set" in the pm you sent me. why you dint mention that in public,i find ineresting.
tell us why NOB is not an option while yer at it.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:47 pm

If you didn't want suggestions... why didja f'n ask for suggestions!
You sounded well spoken ... so I suggested one of the largest franchise operations in the world...
who also don't have much representation in Mexico... snork

Maybe you want to start a little smaller... Beer

Get a couple O washtubs, set em under a tree and open up a Lavendaria...

learn ta laugh...
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:23 pm

A/C Gypsies wrote:
so are you like jim and tammy faye bakker then? open a theme park like that one NOB-jarjar!
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:57 pm

A/C Gypsies: I admire your faith. I also understand the difficulties encountered when life does not work out quite (or at all) as you planned. There is a lot of good advice and thought-provoking commentary on this thread. Even most posters who had negative views were not trolling but were well intentioned and just presenting their view of reality. As for the couple of mean-spirited posts, you are better off ignoring them.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by MyHomeSweetHome Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:31 pm

A/C Gypsies wrote:

You've got my curiosity.  

From a previous post I just thought they were hippies or I guess gypsies and they wrote Pedro a p.m.?????  oh my! Shocked (pardon my sarcasm)

If neither of you are running from the law or reinventing yourselves there's definitely opportunity here, otherwise, please just move back and don't put the rest of us through it! Especially with sausages *sigh*

There's a need for caretakers for the elderly and disabled, especially if you're willing to help people bathe and maybe diaper people.  

Depending on what exactly your skills are and are willing to do, you could look for a job online, there are businesses in Guadalajara that are always looking for English speakers as service representatives for the US and Canada.  

Check out zonajobs  
http://www.zonajobs.com.mx/postulante/welcome.do

Teletech takes service calls for both Verizon and Bank of America.  Depending on your skills, you can at least take an entry job and work your way up if not already qualified for a higher position.  There's several US companies in Guadalajara such as Herbal Life that are constantly looking for English speakers.  Herbal Life takes the service calls and helps fill orders, it's not cold calling.

It takes a while to establish yourself and build up a good cliental as a reputable house/pet sitter, ride-giver and it's definitely not consistent with high and low seasons but an option.  Just be sure to include car maintenance in your quotes.

MyHomeSweetHome
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by lotusflower Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:57 pm

A/C Gypsy: Your first mistake is staying in Ajijic. Unless you want to clean bedpans or helps the elderly in some way, there really isn't much there. (Speaking from experience.) We loved the country-side, but the expat community is ancient, conservative and intolerant of anyone younger (hence, the "you must be on the lam" comments). Too bad as it really is a pretty place, but the community leaves much to be desired. Well, I take that back, the expat community leaves much to be desired, the locals are super nice!

So, an old age home might work there, if you have the means and the disposition for it.

lotusflower

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:16 pm

lotusflower: 36 comments so far. The majority are helpful, concerned, offering advice and things to watch out for. ONE poster made a comment (in jest) as part of an otherwise helpful post.
You have a strange view of Lakeside. Yes, there are the "old old" but most of the people here are not "ancient" except perhaps by your standards. Don´t know where you lived and hung out here but the people I know are far from conservative and love being around younger people. So, I do not how you managed to see only people who were ancient, conservative and intolerant of young people but you have a tweaked view of the community here.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by lotusflower Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:18 pm

Most people lakeside are on military pensions and are at least 70+. They view people on their forties as "on the lam". We had a terrible experience. Most unwelcoming community I've ever encountered...and we've lived around the world FYI.

lotusflower

Back to top Go down

Post by sundown Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:23 pm

I didn't see any "mean spirited" responses, or any attempts at trolling. I saw some "truths". Many of us have been here for several years and have seen many come here to make money/supplement income. Very few have been successful. There have been some that sold Real Estate during the past boom. Thes people are now struggling. After examining your response to the responses, Maybe a good self examination is in order about what you wish to do, And have the abilities to do. again Bueno Suerte, and please think before responding negative to the people you asked for help...

sundown
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:30 pm

Lotusflower, I am sorry you had a terrible experience Lakeside. Whatever it was, you are painting a lot of people with a broad brush. You have generalized your bad experience. I have been here five years and have met a LOT of people from in their 40s to in their 90s--the majority in their 50s and 60s. Most of them are not conservative, on military pensions nor do they view people in their 40s as "on the lam." I will leave you alone with your view though since you are not going to change your mind nor even consider that you might be wrong about an entire area and everyone who lives in it. Again, I am sorry for your bad experience.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by lotusflower Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:35 pm

Many in their 50s or 60s. Yeah right! We had a "young person's group" those 55 and under and we could barely fill one table at a restaurant. Don't promote what isn't there. In fact, all of your hyper over selling of the place does the area absolutely no good. It would be better if you all just shut up and let the place speak for itself. It has it's charms, but the expats are not one of them, IMO.

lotusflower

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:53 pm

Yeah, we lie about reality all the time down here. Buh-bye, lotusflower.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:54 pm

lotusflower wrote:Many in their 50s or 60s. Yeah right!  We had a "young person's group" those 55 and under and we could barely fill one table at a restaurant. Don't promote what isn't there. In fact, all of your hyper over selling of the place does the area absolutely no good. It would be better if you all just shut up and let the place speak for itself.  It has it's charms, but the expats are not one of them, IMO.  
most of my friends are mexican and ferner bikers from 20-50 and i am 70 going on 18. maybe you don't get out enough. places don't speak.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:06 pm

lotusflower wrote:Most people lakeside are on military pensions and are at least 70+. They view people on their forties as "on the lam". We had a terrible experience. Most unwelcoming community I've ever encountered...and we've lived around the world FYI.
you obviously haven't met "most" people.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:09 pm

I would be interested in hearing what lotusflower experienced here, specifically, if lotusflower is willing to share some actual details.

Otherwise it just sounds like bitterness and noise.

Last edited by Rosa Venus on Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by lotusflower Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:10 pm

Lady Otter Latté wrote:Yeah, we lie about reality all the time down here. Buh-bye, lotusflower.

Well, my 82 year old mother in law and 79 year father in law just loved Ajijic! They really liked Roberto's and Tangos -- everyone's favorite restaurants. And they loved the Burn's supper (not too many younger people there, but fun none the less). It's too bad about the violence though as we cannot in good faith let them stay on their own.

lotusflower

Back to top Go down

Post by lotusflower Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:12 pm

No real details. Just a population that is too old for us! However, we loved Guadalajara. If there were more young people in Ajijic, we might have stayed.

A small tip for you all: if you want to sell your houses, you should probably be welcoming the young people, as they might have money to buy your house.

lotusflower

Back to top Go down

Post by MyHomeSweetHome Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:47 pm

We're not quite in our mid 40's yet, lived here Lakeside 7 years, i think, 4 years in Guadalajara, and we're very busy.  I haven't met as many people as I'd like to meet yet, figured we're here for the long haul so no hurry.  Not too attractive to me to invest a lot of time in tourists.  It's hard enough finding a friend that will stay a while.  *sniff, sniff*

Kind of different for me.   my better half is social with those of his same interests. He's a family man, intellectual, a doer and family has always come first, which leaves very little time aside from a webboard for socializing outside of home for me.  He's not into social media.   I guess you didn't have the same interests as he...what a shame, so we never met you. We could have at least been fb friends so I could have tortured you with the food I make at home, like i do my other forum friends :)  If you would have moved to my area, I would have been willing to walk our dogs with you on occasion.   Just to say that we're friendly, clean, honest, wholesome people ;)  Just didn't happen to hang out where we hang out.  I guess the friendly people only hang out with me...even if they are young at heart.

Actually, if you aren't in "our friendly crowd" the forum people are always very friendly from what I've observed at the few meet n greets I've crashed.

MyHomeSweetHome
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MyHomeSweetHome Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:03 am

Not too long ago, I was reading TOB and it sure seemed like a younger crowd was either here or planning on moving down here. It certainly feels like it has changed and moved in the direction over the past 7 years since we've been here. I think there were always some that I just never met. Although we're busy, we're also home bodies. I don't really like to eat out at the restaurants :-S if we do, we go to the same 3. lolol

MyHomeSweetHome
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next