INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURF FISHING

+5
RoofBob
viajero
CheenaGringo
CHILLIN
Jim W
9 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

SURF FISHING - Page 3 Empty Re: SURF FISHING

Post by Pedro Tue May 07, 2013 4:48 pm

the market is not only fer fisher people but folk art buyers as well. i have seen some huge prices in antique/folk art stough.
new stough by a non fisher person maybe not. i almost bought a bunch of fish "decoys" in montana but the provenance was dicey.

Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Tue May 07, 2013 5:26 pm

I see you guys...chillin/pescador use quads on many occassions......4wd won't get ya there? Do you usually haul 2 rods/reels in?

I'm amazed with all the trips I've set up, the number of guys with one rig! I look n laugh, ask m what they do when sumthin breaks? And that's for Large mouth bass.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Tue May 07, 2013 6:28 pm

Pescador, I see the best Surf Fishing is in August, traditionally, soooo maybe we can get a couple brave souls to join us? for a 3-4 day trip?
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pescador Tue May 07, 2013 9:37 pm

Jim W wrote:Pescador, you and Chillin have different preferences in reels, You spinning with braided line, while chillin appears to prefer sidecast and mono? Since I am a newbie, thinking about getting outfitted why one over the other, or is it personal preference?

TIA.....Jim W

Jim,

OK, it wouldn't be fair for me to comment on the Alvey reels, I have never seen one only in pictures.

Pescador
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pescador Tue May 07, 2013 9:44 pm

CHILLIN wrote:I am mostly a big river/estuary fisherman. There is some mighty rivers in British Columbia. The West Coast of Vancouver Island is pretty wild too - a lot like Mayto probably

I bought the surf setup for a technique I invented using a sideplaner to pull diving plugs in the river. You get started from the bank, and it catches the current and can work 100's of yards of river. If you get a strike, the sideplaner collapses.

Chillin,

I have seen some mighty fine fishing on TV about BC, thanks for sharing. Just something about fishing, my Grandparents instilled in me as a child, its been my passion for a great many years.

Like I said in one of my earlier posts ,this Surf Fishing was all NEW to me, but I have learned many things either by myself or my many fishermen friends via the internet.

Regards and hope to meet you someday.

Pescador

Pescador
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pescador Tue May 07, 2013 9:47 pm

RoofBob wrote:
Pescador wrote:
RoofBob wrote:Did a lot of shore fishing in Central America in the 70's. At one point, living in a cabana ON the bay in Gulfito Costa Rica, caught a rooster from my front porch. They are the hardest fighting fish I have ever seen.

Hey RoofBob,

Sounds like you had a GREAT time fishin in those days. I lived in Western New York and just fished fresh water Lakes, 'til moving to Mexico in 2004. Never even heard of a Rooster Fish, until I started learning how to Surf Fish.

Have you ever caught a Jack Crevalle? They are one strong fish and will make your arms just ache, after landing a couple 25-30 pounders. Very Happy
Worked the sport boats out of San Diego during summer vacations from high school - crew 1/2 day, fish 1/2 day free! Got drafted, got out, worked on some commercial boats rock cod and fishing albacore with bamboo poles. Then in '70 crewed on a 95' luxury fishing yacht in the Gulf of California, unbelievable. Then it was off to Costa Rica via train through Mexico packing mask, snorkle, fins, spreader spear, Garcia Mitchell 300 w/12 lb. test,100 Scampy heads, 300 tails and stayed for 7 months, came back to the states then pulled the same number for the next 6 years. Never caught a Jack that big and wouldn't want to now but you're right, those suckers can straighten you right out.

Hey Bob,

We have got to get together someday for a coffee and some stories! HA! Sounds like you've done it all, certainly you learned a lot and have had some GREAT Experiences. Thanks for sharing.

Pescador

Pescador
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:50 pm

[quote="Pescador"]
Jim W wrote:I'm looking for a new challenge, never done it! Can any one tell me what length and type of rod, reel, spinning vs bait casting. Also places you have fished, on Mexican coast and what you caught. Where did you buy your gear?

TIA
Jim W

Hey Jim,

Where the heck were you, when I was trying to get some guys together to go Surf Fishing with me, at leat 5 years ago?? LOL

I am in Manzanillo as I speak and the water is very cold and not many fish around. I will be home, San Juan Cosala, end of May. If you would like come on up have a cup of coffee and I will show you my equipment and what I use. You do not need expensive equipment to get started. My rods are made in New Zealand and Austrailia and custom built in New Jersey, and very expensive because fishing is my passion. I use Spinning reels with 30-50# braided lines.

Chillin, is right, about having to cast 100 yards or sometimes that isn't enough depending on the huge waves. I have actually fished with the guy Chillin is speaking of. As I am getting older I am leaning more towards renting a Panga for most of my Ocean fishing. Think I still got a couple of fair to good years left in me though. SURF FISHING - Page 3 87465

Saludos,
Pescasdor

[/quote/}

Pescasdor, When fishing out of a Panga, what type rod to you use, Length? I assume the same reel?
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RoofBob Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:44 pm

Pescador wrote:
RoofBob wrote:
Pescador wrote:
RoofBob wrote:Did a lot of shore fishing in Central America in the 70's. At one point, living in a cabana ON the bay in Gulfito Costa Rica, caught a rooster from my front porch. They are the hardest fighting fish I have ever seen.

Hey RoofBob,

Sounds like you had a GREAT time fishin in those days. I lived in Western New York and just fished fresh water Lakes, 'til moving to Mexico in 2004. Never even heard of a Rooster Fish, until I started learning how to Surf Fish.

Have you ever caught a Jack Crevalle? They are one strong fish and will make your arms just ache, after landing a couple 25-30 pounders. Very Happy
Worked the sport boats out of San Diego during summer vacations from high school - crew 1/2 day, fish 1/2 day free! Got drafted, got out, worked on some commercial boats rock cod and fishing albacore with bamboo poles. Then in '70 crewed on a 95' luxury fishing yacht in the Gulf of California, unbelievable. Then it was off to Costa Rica via train through Mexico packing mask, snorkle, fins, spreader spear, Garcia Mitchell 300 w/12 lb. test,100 Scampy heads, 300 tails and stayed for 7 months, came back to the states then pulled the same number for the next 6 years. Never caught a Jack that big and wouldn't want to now but you're right, those suckers can straighten you right out.

Hey Bob,

We have got to get together someday for a coffee and some stories! HA! Sounds like you've done it all, certainly you learned a lot and have had some GREAT Experiences. Thanks for sharing.

Pescador
Sounds like fun. Anytime you're in this neck of the woods shoot me a PM and we'll do'er.
RoofBob
RoofBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:21 pm

OH BOY....we got Bob HL&S. Pescador is here for a few months.....maybe we can do a 3 sum head to the surf, rent a panga! SURF FISHING - Page 3 87465
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pescador Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:44 pm

JimW Quote:
Pescasdor, When fishing out of a Panga, what type rod to you use, Length? I assume the same reel?.

Hey Jim,

Though I have fished from a Panga a few times, this will be my first attempt to target just the Roosters. I will start out using the 10'6" Rod I showed you and the Tica Spinning reel. The Saltist Reel is too BIG for this Rod and more suitable for the 12'6" Rods I have. I will let you know what works best. It's very important to match the Rod and Reel in order to get the best performance.

I really want to use just top water lures, so I need awhile to talk to some of the Panga Captains to get their ideas on this. I have a few ideas of my own, not so sure the captains will be keen on them though.

Pescador

Pescador
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pescador Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:51 pm

Roofbob Quote:

Sounds like fun. Anytime you're in this neck of the woods shoot me a PM and we'll do'er. .

Hey roofbob holy cow! You finally replied to my May 7th Post! hola Beer mariachi

Will do my friend, just joking OK??

Pescador

Pescador
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:51 pm

Pescador wrote:JimW Quote:
Pescasdor, When fishing out of a Panga, what type rod to you use, Length? I assume the same reel?.

Hey Jim,

Though I have fished from a Panga a few times, this will be my first attempt to target just the Roosters. I will start out using the 10'6" Rod I showed you and the Tica Spinning reel. The Saltist Reel is too BIG for this Rod and more suitable for the 12'6" Rods I have. I will let you know what works best. It's very important to match the Rod and Reel in order to get the best performance.

I really want to use just top water lures, so I need awhile to talk to some of the Panga Captains to get their ideas on this. I have a few ideas of my own, not so sure the captains will be keen on them though.

Pescador

BUT, BUT, I WANNA GO.......... SURF FISHING - Page 3 851398
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pescador Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:02 pm

BUT, BUT, I WANNA GO.......... .

lol! Too Funny!! Sorry Jim, previous commitments.

I am thinking mid September Barra de Navidad, ??

Pescador
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:04 pm

Let's talk @ fishing club meeting Friday?
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pescador Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:48 pm

Jim W wrote:Let's talk @ fishing club meeting Friday?

Will try to make it, got a GAZILLON things going on!!

JimW, In case I can't make it, feel free to pm or email me. If I can be of help at all I will try.

Regards,
Pescador

Pescador
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3