INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURF FISHING

+5
RoofBob
viajero
CheenaGringo
CHILLIN
Jim W
9 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

SURF FISHING Empty SURF FISHING

Post by Jim W Wed May 01, 2013 3:47 pm

I'm looking for a new challenge, never done it! Can any one tell me what length and type of rod, reel, spinning vs bait casting. Also places you have fished, on Mexican coast and what you caught. Where did you buy your gear?

TIA
Jim W
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

SURF FISHING Empty Re: SURF FISHING

Post by CHILLIN Wed May 01, 2013 6:09 pm

This guy will tell you everything you need to know - except where this is.
http://surfishmexico.pbworks.com/w/page/19215735/Surf%20fishing%20Mexico%20in%20solitude

It is Cabos Corriente one hour south of El Tuito, which is twenty minutes south of Puerto Vallarta. He uses spinning reels, I use an Australian sidecaster made by Alvey. Alvey held the record of 671 feet casting 2 ounces before he started manufacturing. The great thing about the sidecaster, if you dump it in the sand, it is easy to clean. A spincaster is dead until you can properly open it and clean the gears.

I would say this is probably one of the finest surf fishing locations in the world right now. It only became known in 2005. Most locals, up and down the coast, do not realize you could catch a fish from shore. I only got my 4x4 repaired a week before we moved to Chapala, so I have not been there. The world trophy fish are September/August - hot and humid. There are fish around all year though - especially river estuaries.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Wed May 01, 2013 6:27 pm

Chillin, what length rod, etc.........opps IC 13' rod.......heavy duty stuff.....can you approximate cost of rod and reel? Place to purchase?
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed May 01, 2013 6:39 pm

Jim:

Send a PM to Pescador. My understanding is that he has a good deal of experience surf fishing in Mexico. I do know, he recently made a trip to Zihuatanejo for that purpose.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Wed May 01, 2013 6:51 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:Jim:

Send a PM to Pescador. My understanding is that he has a good deal of experience surf fishing in Mexico. I do know, he recently made a trip to Zihuatanejo for that purpose.

Thanks Neil, will do!
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Thu May 02, 2013 10:39 am

Here is another spot in Barra de Navidad:
There are plenty of opportunities here in Costalegre for the sport-fisherman which don't involve a boat. All year long there are fish species here of one kind or another attainable from the shore. Such species include jacks <http://www.reel1in.com/Pacific-Jack-Crevalle.html> , trevallies <http://www.reel1in.com/Bigeye-Trevally.html> , pargo <http://www.reel1in.com/Barred-Pargo.html> , sierra mackerel <http://www.reel1in.com/Sierra-Mackerel.html> , snook, <http://www.reel1in.com/Snook.html> sharks, roosterfish <http://www.reel1in.com/Roosterfish.html> and others. Most of these species can be caught with 12-20lb spinning gear, casting top water lures, spoons and other assorted lures. There are also other smaller species of croakers, snappers, and the like available with cut bait for those who like to sit-put on the beach enjoying refreshments and the scenery. We also use larger dead or cut bait for sharks and large snapper.

Drop on by our tackle shop, at the Alondra Hotel in Barra de Navidad, for surf fishing gear, lures, leaders and bottom rigs or if you have your own stuff just get tips on where to go and what to use. We have a large selection of surf fishing lures and terminal tackle available for purchase. Of course we can also set you up with a charter boat for the offshore experience.

http://www.reel1in.com/

Yes - 13 foot is good. You never know what you are going to hook into on in the ocean. Did you see that 40 lb snapper. The Rooster fish are the trophy, they are catch and release, but they don't taste great anyways. You do not need a license or permit to fish off the shore in Mexico. A rod and reel combo should run $200 to $250. Make sure you invest in a solid rod case too. You need to cast 2 to 4 oz lures at least 100 yards. Usually poppers. They are much more expensive than bass plugs. The big lure discourage bites from trash fish such as Puffers and Needlefish. Always anticipate how you are going to handle it if you snag a Pelican or Manta Ray
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Thu May 02, 2013 10:48 am

CHILLIN wrote:

You never know what you are going to hook into on in the ocean.
That's what I've always liked about surf and ocean fishing.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Thu May 02, 2013 10:58 am

By the way, when local coastals refer to shark fishing, shark tostados etc., this is what we call Dogfish in the Northwest. They are considered a trash fish and discarded. I was once offered "Rock Salmon" in a fish and chips shop in the U.K. - also Dogfish.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Thu May 02, 2013 2:29 pm

Chillin, It looks like all the rods are 1 piece, making transport NOB a little dicey. Is there anyplace you know of that sells the lures? I've never seen a 2 to 4 oz lure.

It sounds like surf fishing can be a kick in the ass. It would be fun to get a group together and make the trip.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Thu May 02, 2013 4:07 pm

I like Alvey, they have had a store in the U.S.A. since 1980.
http://www.alveyusa.com/products/

They have a beautiful telescopic surf rod for $100, about $20 more than their two pieces. The website says they are made in China, so I guess the price is kept down.

They introduced a fast retrieve model reel in 2005 - it recovers three feet with every turn. This would be good for Roosterfish who surf within the wave like a silver bullet. If you go with the Alvey, run low stretch monofilament line, not braided. You also need one of those finger gaurds like the archers wear for casting.

I have posted before on the lures. http://www.saltybugger.com/ I'll order some too if you are making a trip. I will show you how to paint them, and provide all the materials (laser hologram film even) you will need. The hand painting is what adds to the price, in Canada and the U.S.A. that is.

As far as fishing with a group, it is safer I guess. Most surf fishers, and big river fishers, seem to have an "Old Man and the Sea" syndrome. They like the solitary beauty of it all, and the chance to catch and land a major fish without an audience. All you get in the end, is a photo, and your hands are too busy to film the fight.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Thu May 02, 2013 4:25 pm

Which reel do you recommend, for basic surf fishing? The 55BL or the 600BCXL? Why? What is spool capacity, what is the major difference?

Thanks again for your patience, just want to be properly outfitted, and have a reasonable expectation of some success.

Can the rods n reels be purchased in Mexico? Where?
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Fri May 03, 2013 8:38 am

That Reel In store mentioned in Barra de Navidad may have everything, but you know the story, price wise. The tackle store in Puerto Vallarta would not have the rods/reels - he wants to promote his boat business. I have the Alvey 650, but it must be 20 years old now. The fast retrieve is a good feature, these are big, fast, predator fish - sometimes you would want to trigger a strike by instinct - no time to think. Do fish think? Anyways, you are paying $50 extra for something you may never need.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RoofBob Fri May 03, 2013 8:54 am

Whilst fishing from the shore keep an eye on the ever moving bait fish as they are being chased by game fish.
RoofBob
RoofBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Fri May 03, 2013 10:23 am

Here is a Mexican fishing forum with a lot of posts on surf fishing. In Spanish of course.
[url=foros.pesca.mx/‎]foros.pesca.mx/‎[/url]
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pescador Sun May 05, 2013 10:13 am

Jim W wrote:I'm looking for a new challenge, never done it! Can any one tell me what length and type of rod, reel, spinning vs bait casting. Also places you have fished, on Mexican coast and what you caught. Where did you buy your gear?

TIA
Jim W

Hey Jim,

Where the heck were you, when I was trying to get some guys together to go Surf Fishing with me, at leat 5 years ago?? LOL

I am in Manzanillo as I speak and the water is very cold and not many fish around. I will be home, San Juan Cosala, end of May. If you would like come on up have a cup of coffee and I will show you my equipment and what I use. You do not need expensive equipment to get started. My rods are made in New Zealand and Austrailia and custom built in New Jersey, and very expensive because fishing is my passion. I use Spinning reels with 30-50# braided lines.

Chillin, is right, about having to cast 100 yards or sometimes that isn't enough depending on the huge waves. I have actually fished with the guy Chillin is speaking of. As I am getting older I am leaning more towards renting a Panga for most of my Ocean fishing. Think I still got a couple of fair to good years left in me though. SURF FISHING 87465

Saludos,
Pescasdor

Pescador
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pescador Sun May 05, 2013 10:17 am

Hey Chillin,

I only got my 4x4 repaired a week before we moved to Chapala

Road is 10 times better than 5 years ago, 4X4 is not necessary, maybe a time or two during the rainy season.

Pescador
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Sun May 05, 2013 1:51 pm

I was thinking of 4x4 along the beach. I'm up for surf fishing, I'm not sure I am up for adventure surf fishing. I notice that (it seems like) a lot of Mexican surf fishers use ocean going kayaks.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun May 05, 2013 2:49 pm

Pescador wrote:
Jim W wrote:I'm looking for a new challenge, never done it! Can any one tell me what length and type of rod, reel, spinning vs bait casting. Also places you have fished, on Mexican coast and what you caught. Where did you buy your gear?

TIA
Jim W

Hey Jim,

Where the heck were you, when I was trying to get some guys together to go Surf Fishing with me, at leat 5 years ago?? LOL

I am in Manzanillo as I speak and the water is very cold and not many fish around. I will be home, San Juan Cosala, end of May. If you would like come on up have a cup of coffee and I will show you my equipment and what I use. You do not need expensive equipment to get started. My rods are made in New Zealand and Austrailia and custom built in New Jersey, and very expensive because fishing is my passion. I use Spinning reels with 30-50# braided lines.

Chillin, is right, about having to cast 100 yards or sometimes that isn't enough depending on the huge waves. I have actually fished with the guy Chillin is speaking of. As I am getting older I am leaning more towards renting a Panga for most of my Ocean fishing. Think I still got a couple of fair to good years left in me though. SURF FISHING 87465

Saludos,
Pescasdor

Pescasdor, I've been promoting fishing on the board since April 2010......sorry we missed connections so far. I sent my telephone number via PM, so we can get together when you return. Looking forward to checking out the gear required for surf fishing. Also try to make it to our "BORED" meeting the 30th at my place, we had around 50 people last year, kind of a meet n greet, fun for all, swimming pool or a game of 8 ball or 9 ball always works here.

Talk soon,

Jim w

Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pescador Sun May 05, 2013 3:43 pm

CHILLIN wrote:I was thinking of 4x4 along the beach. I'm up for surf fishing, I'm not sure I am up for adventure surf fishing. I notice that (it seems like) a lot of Mexican surf fishers use ocean going kayaks.

4X4 will depend on the weather, just sold my ATV last year. I have seen the beach get totally washed away in the rainy season, where I couldn't even use my 4X4 ATV! Don't mean to discourage you on this, all depends on Mother Nature. 3 years ago got stranded back there for 3 days, no traffic in or out, quite an adventure. If you have ever been to Cabo Corrientes, you will see that Kayaks are NOT used here. The Pacific was a whole new learning experience for me.

The waves are dangerous, let me repeat "The Waves Are Dangerous" !!

Number 1 Rule is NEVER TURN YOUR BACK TO THE OCEAN!!

Chillin you are also welcome to come to my place with Jim when I return in late May. Would be fun to shoot the Bull. I have some photos you guys might enjoy also.

Regards,
Pesacador

Pescador
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun May 05, 2013 3:58 pm

Pescador wrote:
CHILLIN wrote:I was thinking of 4x4 along the beach. I'm up for surf fishing, I'm not sure I am up for adventure surf fishing. I notice that (it seems like) a lot of Mexican surf fishers use ocean going kayaks.

4X4 will depend on the weather, just sold my ATV last year. I have seen the beach get totally washed away in the rainy season, where I couldn't even use my 4X4 ATV! Don't mean to discourage you on this, all depends on Mother Nature. 3 years ago got stranded back there for 3 days, no traffic in or out, quite an adventure. If you have ever been to Cabo Corrientes, you will see that Kayaks are NOT used here. The Pacific was a whole new learning experience for me.

The waves are dangerous, let me repeat "The Waves Are Dangerous" !!

Number 1 Rule is NEVER TURN YOUR BACK TO THE OCEAN!!

Chillin you are also welcome to come to my place with Jim when I return in late May. Would be fun to shoot the Bull. I have some photos you guys might enjoy also.

Regards,
Pesacador

Looking forward to it Pesacador, Do you need a special kinda 4 X 4 ? I have a Ford Super crew 4 X 4......

Talk soon,

Jimw
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pescador Sun May 05, 2013 4:13 pm

Jim w,

Sorry for the confusion Jim. I was just stating a fact to Chillin, that sometimes the rainy season has washed the beach away, where I couldn't even use my ATV. Where I used to fish, not many people used 4X4 trucks it was mainly ATV's or walking which I started out doing. 5-6 miles of that in 100 degree weather was about all I could do back then. Wouldn't even attempt it now.

One thing I found out in a hurry is, it is not EASY to catch fish from the surf. I thought with all the fish I had seen on TV, from some of these shows it was going to be 1 fish after another. WRONG! Takes a lot of time and determination, especially if you are using lures.

Just trying to be upfront and honest and not to mislead anyone. We will talk soon.

Pescador

Pescador
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun May 05, 2013 4:41 pm

Pescador wrote:Jim w,

Sorry for the confusion Jim. I was just stating a fact to Chillin, that sometimes the rainy season has washed the beach away, where I couldn't even use my ATV. Where I used to fish, not many people used 4X4 trucks it was mainly ATV's or walking which I started out doing. 5-6 miles of that in 100 degree weather was about all I could do back then. Wouldn't even attempt it now.

One thing I found out in a hurry is, it is not EASY to catch fish from the surf. I thought with all the fish I had seen on TV, from some of these shows it was going to be 1 fish after another. WRONG! Takes a lot of time and determination, especially if you are using lures.

Just trying to be upfront and honest and not to mislead anyone. We will talk soon.

Pescador

Thank You pescador, and chillin for sharing info......Jim w
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Sun May 05, 2013 5:16 pm

I imagine it depends on the day. On one blog Cabos describes getting his lure in the right place in a wave, then seeing 20 to 30 Roosterfish and Jack Crevalle all fighting to get to it first. Wow - that would be heartstopping!

They are putting in a huge reservoir there, as a precursor to 'wilderness' resorts - they will no doubt stock it with Bass. This area will be a fisher's paradise, and for seafood lovers too.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pescador Sun May 05, 2013 6:18 pm

CHILLIN wrote:I imagine it depends on the day. On one blog Cabos describes getting his lure in the right place in a wave, then seeing 20 to 30 Roosterfish and Jack Crevalle all fighting to get to it first. Wow - that would be heartstopping!

They are putting in a huge reservoir there, as a precursor to 'wilderness' resorts - they will no doubt stock it with Bass. This area will be a fisher's paradise, and for seafood lovers too.

Yep, you are right, the Roosters can be there one day and gone the next, just never know. That's why the're called the Ghost of the Coast. Very Happy

The reservoir will be Great when finished. As far as Bass being stocked in it, well I dare guess i'll be long gone to that Fishermen's place in the Sky by then. SURF FISHING 851398

Last edited by Pescador on Sun May 05, 2013 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : word change)

Pescador
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Mon May 06, 2013 5:49 pm

Pescador wrote:

TIA
Jim W

Hey Jim,

Saludos,
Pescasdor

Attachments
SURF FISHING Attachment
steve-big-rooster.jpg Rooster fish caught surf fishing MXYou don't have permission to download attachments.(30 Kb) Downloaded 19 times
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next