INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Swarm 12

+15
hkrause
ComputerGuy
Charliej
gringal
joyfull
frkshnwa
jeano.gal
SunsetKid
joec
Grizzy
gringoman
RoofBob
Trevor "poncho" Armstrong
hockables
CanuckBob
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Swarm 12 - Page 2 Empty Re: Swarm 12

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:00 pm

CanuckBob wrote:
HelperGuy wrote:I thought the swarms were intended to help restaurateurs with a low customer turnout, to help them keep going. Has that changed?

Well we have done 11 so far. Please provide us with your suggestions and we'll see you there!
I'm just asking. I applaud the concept, it that's what it is. But Armando's is definitely not a place that needs extra support right now.

ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Charliej Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:24 pm

My wife and I attended our first swarm today at Armando's. We had a good time and were made to feel welcome by the group. The food was very good and the conversation was also very good. After making one swarm, we will certainly try to make it to the next one. Thanks to everyone who made us feel at home.
Charliej
Charliej
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:10 pm

HelperGuy wrote:
CanuckBob wrote:
HelperGuy wrote:I thought the swarms were intended to help restaurateurs with a low customer turnout, to help them keep going. Has that changed?

Well we have done 11 so far. Please provide us with your suggestions and we'll see you there!
I'm just asking. I applaud the concept, it that's what it is. But Armando's is definitely not a place that needs extra support right now.

However, when they first opened a month or so ago, there were hardly any diners at lunch. This was too bad, since the food was so good. We went at least once a week and recently, they must have finally caught on, so yes, now they're doing fine.
They did deserve the help early on, but word of mouth is doing them the most good. Patronizing a place because they aren't doing well is okay, so long as they actually are a winner and just need a little help to become better known.
Some restaurants around here deserve to fail. I won't name names, but we know who's who.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:14 pm

Agreed; would really only want to support restaurants that deserve it, not the others.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RoofBob Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:31 pm

Good idea HelperGuy, maybe you could provide a list of restaurants that do and don't deserve our support. See you at the next swarm eh?
RoofBob
RoofBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:34 pm

Why are you picking on me, bobs? I asked a simple question. Maybe I would have been interested. However, I see no need to join up where your inference is "Oh, so you think you know better?"

In the meantime, no one has actually answered my question.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:50 pm

Did anyone take pics?

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by little italy Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:03 pm

HelperGuy wrote:Why are you picking on me, bobs? I asked a simple question. Maybe I would have been interested. However, I see no need to join up where your inference is "Oh, so you think you know better?"

In the meantime, no one has actually answered my question.

For what it's worth, I really don't think they are picking on you, please know I say this with all due respect. It's hard for me to really comment on as I do not eat out often. My personal feeling is most stick to the more popular restaruants (whatever that means) and maybe they haven't experienced others, so please if you have any recommondations let the swarm know. Besides, the restaruants they pick most have been there before. Me, give me Mexican food anytime.

little italy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:04 pm

I stopped by Armando's about 1:30 this afternoon as I was, coincidentally, strolling by since I live very close to this restaurant and, after reading several rave reviews about this place under new ownership thought it a good idea to glance at their menu offerings. It turns out that the "Swarm" was underway and, while I might have had something off of their luncheon sandwich menu, I declined because I consider it to always be a poor idea to order a simple lunch when a restaurant is busy with large groups overwhelmimg the kitchen so I decided to return on a more normal day.

I´ll go back later before assessing the quality of this restaurant under new ownership. I met the proprietor who seems very nice but we´ll wait to sample the cooking.

Considering that there were about 15 people suffocating in that meeting room meant for five, the food must be OK or maybe these people just really like each other..
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:10 pm

little italy wrote:
For what it's worth, I really don't think they are picking on you, please know I say this with all due respect. It's hard for me to really comment on as I do not eat out often. My personal feeling is most stick to the more popular restaruants (whatever that means) and maybe they haven't experienced others, so please if you have any recommondations let the swarm know. Besides, the restaruants they pick most have been there before. Me, give me Mexican food anytime.
Thanks for your kind and measured response. I must say, though, that when I started reading about the idea for swarming, I'm sure I recollect correctly that it was to be in support of restaurants that were worthy, that might not make it through the down season or the hard times. So basically my question was to confirm that; instead of getting an answer, I'm getting flack couched in politeness from the two Bobs.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:30 pm

Re the meeting room: It's way in the back. I saw it with my own beady eyes before suggesting to CBOB that it might be good for a swarm. It could easily hold 25 people; no suffocating. As usual, Hound Dog sees what he decides to see. Let's hear the facts about the facilities from those who were actually THERE.

So how was it? Too crowded? Food okay?

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by RoofBob Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:49 pm

HelperGuy, your recollections are correct but your flack crack is off the mark.

There was plenty of room, the food was good, well priced and everyone seemed to have a nice time. I didn't do a head count but would guess there were about 20 smiling faces.
RoofBob
RoofBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:53 pm

RoofBob wrote:HelperGuy, your recollections are correct but your flack crack is off the mark.

How's that?
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RoofBob Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:01 pm

They were flackless.
RoofBob
RoofBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:03 pm

Okay.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:12 pm

I took some pics however I left my camera in my friends car so it may be a couple of days before I get them posted.

Thanks to everyone who came out. It was a great meal in a nice atmosphere.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:14 pm

hound dog wrote:I stopped by Armando's about 1:30 this afternoon as I was, coincidentally, strolling by since I live very close to this restaurant and, after reading several rave reviews about this place under new ownership thought it a good idea to glance at their menu offerings. It turns out that the "Swarm" was underway and, while I might have had something off of their luncheon sandwich menu, I declined because I consider it to always be a poor idea to order a simple lunch when a restaurant is busy with large groups overwhelmimg the kitchen so I decided to return on a more normal day.

I´ll go back later before assessing the quality of this restaurant under new ownership. I met the proprietor who seems very nice but we´ll wait to sample the cooking.

Considering that there were about 15 people suffocating in that meeting room meant for five, the food must be OK or maybe these people just really like each other..

Well mighty nice of you to drop in and say hi Mr. Dawg..........except you didn't.

razberry
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringoman Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:37 pm

My wife and I were there. The food, service, ambiance and camaraderie was great, and not one person suffocated!

Charlij--glad you and your wife enjoyed your 1st swarm. Hope you will join in many more.

Helperguy--am anxiously awaiting your list of the restaurants that would (in your opinion) qualify for a swarm.

My wife and I enjoy the swarms very much. Have been to all but one of them. It´s a great way to meet new people, see friends and help the local economy. Let´s have another one soon!

gringoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Battlecat Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:05 pm

Battlecat was there and enjoyed the food, company and great atmosphere Armando's provides. I had the chicken fajita sandwich and it was great! (With a side of pasta salad.) Maybe the swarms started out to help the locals during the low season, however, I think every local restaurant deserves the bump a swarm can provide (exception might be Panini where there's always a good crowd.). Lets not forget that the waiters/waitresses benefit too. Oh, and it was not stuffy inside.

Battlecat

Humor : None

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:09 pm

So gringoman is in on it, too, eh? "anxiously awaiting your list of restaurants". Come on, you guys, just come clean: admit that it's no longer about "helping", but about having fun. Nothing at all wrong with that.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hkrause Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:14 am

Don't know if it would qualify as "needy" but has anybody else been to Mariscos Peter? West end of the same building as La Huerta event center, west Ajijic, lake side of the carretera. We've been there several times and always had excellent food and good service. Seldom see other gringos there, so I wondered if they might be off the radar (and could benefit from an introduction to some new customers)? Great place for fried shrimp... very large with light crunchy coating. At least one of the waiters speaks some English, and we've seen a large group in there before, so there's room for a swarm. Even if we don't go as a group, I'd recommend it for individuals to try.

Heather
hkrause
hkrause
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:17 am

I've been there a number of times for their pescado zorandeado (always snapper), and you're right, gringos don't seem to go. Food is great. I see lots of nationals there.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:41 am

Sounds like a great place to try out.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:14 am

Well mighty nice of you to drop in and say hi Mr. Dawg..........except you didn't.

razberry [/quote]

Now, now, CB, I stopped by the back room about 1:20 to meet you specifically just to say hello but couldn´t spot you. Perhaps you had not yet arrived in the Mexican tradition of being fashionably late. I was actually on my way to Blue Frida´s just a short walk from Armando's for a quiet and solitary lunch as my darlin´wife had just left for Guadalajara on business. Frida´s is fun and funky with good food but too small for a swarm. Swarmers might want to stop by there to try her food and enjoy her vivacious personality.

I did meet the new owner at Armando´s who seemed quite nice. I´ll go back when it´s less crowded with Swarmers.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:24 am

hound dog wrote:Well mighty nice of you to drop in and say hi Mr. Dawg..........except you didn't.

razberry

Now, now, CB, I stopped by the back room about 1:20 to meet you specifically just to say hello but couldn´t spot you. Perhaps you had not yet arrived in the Mexican tradition of being fashionably late. I was actually on my way to Blue Frida´s just a short walk from Armando's for a quiet and solitary lunch as my darlin´wife had just left for Guadalajara on business. Frida´s is fun and funky with good food but too small for a swarm. Swarmers might want to stop by there to try her food and enjoy her vivacious personality.

I did meet the new owner at Armando´s who seemed quite nice. I´ll go back when it´s less crowded with Swarmers.[/quote]

" Lonewolf "
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:41 am

hound dog wrote:Well mighty nice of you to drop in and say hi Mr. Dawg..........except you didn't.

razberry

I did meet the new owner at Armando´s who seemed quite nice. I´ll go back when it´s less crowded with Swarmers.[/quote]

I know what you mean...so many bald heads and bigotes...it's confusing. lol!

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2