INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Party Season Etiquette

+17
Ms.Thang
binky
Tony_In_Mexico
CheenaGringo
viajero
Axixic
Chapalagringa
joec
gringal
solajijic
E-raq
Rosa Venus
Marrell
ferret
Carry Bean
Milena
Parker
21 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Party Season Etiquette   Empty Party Season Etiquette

Post by Parker Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:27 pm

O.K., the “Party Season” has begun and I think it would be very interesting to discuss etiquette. We’re all from such different areas and backgrounds it could be very interesting to know, “what’s the right thing to do.” according to your common practices. I’ll start;

1. “Never show-up empty handed” even if the host has stated when you asked “Can I bring anything” the reply was no “Just yourself.” A nice hostess gift preferably or a bottle of wine preferable to their liking. Nothing that is expected to be used at the party unless arrangements are made in advance, your host has already lots to do so putting flower arrangements together is probably not on their To-Do list. Next. Very Happy

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Party Season Etiquette   Empty Re: Party Season Etiquette

Post by Milena Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:33 pm

2. Offer to help with clean-up if you are still around at the end, or, if they have hired help for the evening, offer to chip in with a few pesos towards the cost of the help, as it can be many hours work before, during and after to properly look after the needs of a house full of eating, drinking party-goers. No one wants to still be picking bottles of the lawn days later.

Milena
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic, hedonistic British wit.

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:34 pm

Don't arrive early.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:35 pm

Besides a hostess gift of wine, we always bring our own drinks too...and cookies for their furkids.

2) "Never show-up LATE"...your host and hostess have put in a good deal of effort to prepare you a nice dinner...that is TIMED accordingly.

3) "Never STAY late"...or I'll just get up and thank you for coming but I'm going to bed now.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Marrell Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:51 pm

I for one would be offended if someone offered to help pay for the help.
As for bringing your own beverages, only if requested or you if you drink something "really" unusual that your host/hostess might be unlikely
to have on hand. What goes around comes around on future invitations to your friends house. Treats for furkids is another story!

Marrell
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:54 pm

4. RSVP to the invite within a decent amount of time, fergawdsakes.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:01 pm

Marrell wrote:I for one would be offended if someone offered to help pay for the help.
As for bringing your own beverages, only if requested or you if you drink something "really" unusual that your host/hostess might be unlikely
to have on hand. What goes around comes around on future invitations to your friends house. Treats for furkids is another story!

Agree Merrell.

Arrive 10 to 15 minutes late. Tip discretely if you must, never in front of the host or hostess. Stay late only if you are very close friends. They will want to unwind and hash it over before going to bed. Treats for fur kids, the sky is the limit. A bottle of wine is obligatory. Alternatively some special dish that the hostess loves and doesn't know how to make is a great substitute- JMHO.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by solajijic Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:16 pm

RSVP, bring a little something non-edible, arrive within 10 minutes for dinner and 20 minutes for cocktails, contribute to the conversation, offer over-indulgers a ride home, say thank and send a note.

Please stay out of the kitchen.
Please do not tell the help what to do or try to help them.
Do not tip the bartender or the servers. They get paid and tipped by the host.

If you need something talk to the host.

solajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : "I a, a practical woman. Sentiment only takes one so far. At some point, practicality must enter the room."

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:30 pm

solajijic wrote:RSVP, bring a little something non-edible, arrive within 10 minutes for dinner and 20 minutes for cocktails, contribute to the conversation, offer over-indulgers a ride home, say thank and send a note.

Please stay out of the kitchen.
Please do not tell the help what to do or try to help them.
Do not tip the bartender or the servers. They get paid and tipped by the host.

If you need something talk to the host.

Agree with two exceptions, I phone. Notes are so unwieldy here. If you really like the bartender/s or waitstaff, you might want to ingratiate yourself, very discretely, out of eyesight of everyone, so you can get them for your next party. Just saying. This is obviously advice for newbies who don't already know who to call. For the rest of you old timers here, don't do it.

Last edited by E-raq on Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : newbie advice added.)
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:38 pm

Absolutely: Don't arrive early, agreed. On the other hand, don't hold the show up by arriving an hour late, either.
A bottle of wine is a good idea, unless it's a group of non-drinkers, in which case flowers are a nice idea, and....nobody turns down chocolate. LOL.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:01 pm

Milena wrote:2. Offer to help with clean-up if you are still around at the end, or, if they have hired help for the evening, offer to chip in with a few pesos towards the cost of the help, as it can be many hours work before, during and after to properly look after the needs of a house full of eating, drinking party-goers. No one wants to still be picking bottles of the lawn days later.

Milena; Where I’m from paying for anything at a private home would never be expected. This is what makes all our different backgrounds so interesting. Actually I was really surprised once when a couple put out a tip jar to help pay for a music band they decided to hire. To me this was very crass, but interesting, with different backgrounds and how we try to understand things.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:17 pm

Carry Bean wrote:Don't arrive early.

This is an issue. Over the years we’ve decided we’ll just be ready at least 30 minutes before expected arrival time and enjoy a cocktail beforehand. Only once in over forty some years has any anyone come earlier (an hour) but they did call from their Cell-phone and asked if they should keep driving around the block or if it was O.K. to come in. They’re very good friends and could only help us by getting our drinks. Life is special in that way.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:32 pm

Written in red is me.

ferret wrote:Besides a hostess gift (or a gift) of wine, we always bring our own drinks too...and cookies for their furkids.

2) "Never show-up LATE"...your host and hostess have put in a good deal of effort to prepare you a nice dinner...that is TIMED accordingly.

3) "Never STAY late"...or I'll just get up and thank you for coming but I'm going to bed now.

Well I agree with most of what you have to say except ("Never STAY late") the after party is generally the most fun! There is a level of honesty I just really enjoy.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:43 pm

Marrell wrote:I for one would be offended if someone offered to help pay for the help.

We must have been raised with similar backgrounds. If one can’t be happy for one evening drinking water to be with others that provide social interest, perhaps it’s not them?

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:45 pm

Rosa Venus wrote:4. RSVP to the invite within a decent amount of time, fergawdsakes.

An absolute!!!

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:47 pm

Pardon, but the "level of honesty" is definitely something I can do without, and I'll betcha most of you know what I mean. People often have "secret spiller's remorse" later. Not good for friendships.

I'd rather the hosts get a chance to pick up after, have a private jawboning without the guests and collapse into bed.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:57 pm

E-raq wrote:

Agree Merrell.

Arrive 10 to 15 minutes late. Tip discretely if you must, never in front of the host or hostess. Stay late only if you are very close friends. They will want to unwind and hash it over before going to bed. Treats for fur kids, the sky is the limit. A bottle of wine is obligatory. Alternatively some special dish that the hostess loves and doesn't know how to make is a great substitute- JMHO.

I believe a thoughtful “Hostess Gift” is very much appreciated. Getting a bottle of wine that has been circulating for more than a couple of years and has turned to vinegar because of improper storage is no longer considered a gift.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:07 pm

Right offhand, I can't imagine anyone who would bring a bottle of over-the-hill wine to their hostess........not if they expected to be invited back during their lifetime!
lol!

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:23 pm

The host or hostess may say not to bring anything, but I think it is both rude and cheap not to bring a bottle of wine. Not one of those specials, 3 fer or 4 fer at Paz, but a good brand.

Never arrive early. What constitutes "STAY LATE"? Before they leave, lots of hugs and thank yous.

After they leave, next day, send a nice "Thank You" email. I always do.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:25 pm

em, did we forget Mexican Etiquette?

Gee, I've hosted parties w/70+ people over the years both here and there in 3 different US states and never once got a bottle of wine.... :-S hahaha
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : all natural

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:29 pm

Chapalagringa wrote:em, did we forget Mexican Etiquette?

Gee, I've hosted parties w/70+ people over the years both here and there in 3 different US states and never once got a bottle of wine.... :-S hahaha

When we have guests for dinner, they ALWAYS bring a bottle or two of wine. My friends from Mississauga are coming in December until January. He will always bring 3 bottles of high quality wine to the house.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:34 pm

joec wrote:
When we have guests for dinner, they ALWAYS bring a bottle or two of wine. My friends from Mississauga are coming in December until January. He will always bring 3 bottles of high quality wine to the house.

Well Speed, considering that you don't drink (because of your medical condition - I understand) I would, too. Just to make sure there was some.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:40 pm

joec wrote:The host or hostess may say not to bring anything, but I think it is both rude and cheap not to bring a bottle of wine. Not one of those specials, 3 fer or 4 fer at Paz, but a good brand.

Never arrive early. What constitutes "STAY LATE"? Before they leave, lots of hugs and thank yous.

After they leave, next day, send a nice "Thank You" email. I always do.

Well you’re invited to our next get-together. (I’m assuming you mean the guest send the host a nice thank-you note although it might work both ways.) I really appreciate those E-mails, even though perhaps there not all the truth. The way I look at it, I worked hard for it. Thanks for bringing up this point.

P.S. If we can’t seem to find a nice hostess gift we try to find a nice liqueur. We found some “Lemonchello’ (sp?) at a great savings awhile back and stocked up, I’m happy.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:52 pm

I believe in Mexico they would more than likely bring a gratuity and something for the table (Tequila), No?

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:14 pm

Parker wrote:

I believe in Mexico they would more than likely bring a gratuity and something for the table (Tequila), No?
Tequila sure,but I don't understand the gratuity thing.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next