INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ETIQUETTE: Re Street Clothes

+20
Ms.Thang
natbug
slainte39
Jim W
Pedro
saege007
gvprod
papa chango
holdrja
ComputerGuy
Zedinmexico
juanrey
CanuckBob
Explorador
solajijic
lunateak
zenwoodle
JayBear
Smartalex
borderreiver
24 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

ETIQUETTE: Re Street Clothes Empty ETIQUETTE: Re Street Clothes

Post by borderreiver Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:56 pm

Curious as to the Mexican norms, gringo/a. Are shorts frowned on by Mexicans? Do I get more respect, say, in a bank, or other biz situation when wearing pants? Just asking. My wife is already fretting over her Xmas visit wardrobe. I just told her that the tightness of jeans in Mexico on the ladies is a wonder to behold - to the good and the bad. Thanks.
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : humor is spelt incorrectly

Back to top Go down

ETIQUETTE: Re Street Clothes Empty Re: ETIQUETTE: Re Street Clothes

Post by Smartalex Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:31 pm

The short answer is "yes."
Smartalex
Smartalex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by JayBear Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:51 pm

Shorts are fine around town but generally not on Mexican men and with rare exceptions NOT worn in the Catholic churches. One sometimes sees Guadalajaran men wearing shorts in town.

JayBear
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by zenwoodle Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:55 pm

The fashion police have arrived. Can mordida be far behind. Beer 
zenwoodle
zenwoodle
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic, but nobody seems to get it

Back to top Go down

Post by borderreiver Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:16 pm

Thanks all.Done.
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : humor is spelt incorrectly

Back to top Go down

Post by lunateak Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:20 pm

Cultural respect should be cultivated not denigrated. Thank you.
lunateak
lunateak
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by solajijic Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:35 am

This is a functioning group of towns and not a resort area. Shorts are fine for running around daily but do not forget the slacks and sport coat with good shirt and tie at the very least. Weddings and funerals require dressing appropriately. Many holiday parties are dressier than you might think. If you just cannot do the suit or sport coat then a long-sleeved shirt with a nice v-neck sweater or sweater vest and khakis with real shoes works.

solajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : "I a, a practical woman. Sentiment only takes one so far. At some point, practicality must enter the room."

Back to top Go down

Post by Explorador Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:07 am

The boardwalk and pier in Chapala is clearly a tourist destination for Mexicans from all over. The younger generations are influenced by trends in the United States just as the rest of the world frequently is. I see plenty of Mexican tourists wearing shorts (at the pier and in town). Wearing shorts is fine if you are doing touristy things. For me this extends to doing normal errands.

If you are opening a bank account or meeting with your lawyer for the first time then that's not being touristy and I would attempt to look a little more presentable. (Rather difficult for me though. ;) .)

I've given up on trying to blend in completely. I look like a gringo; I act like a gringo; I dress like a gringo. I prefer to blend in with my use of the language. Put your efforts there and gain a little respect that way ;).

Explorador

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:27 am

In business, evening bar/restaurant and travelling situations I typically wear pants and a collared shirt. Most of the other times it's shorts & sandals all the way. Really no different than back home during the summer.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by juanrey Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:38 am

Courtesy, respect and trying your best at Español are far more important than what you are wearing. Acknowledging someone you are passing on the street with a smile and a greeting. Attempting to use whatever limited Spanish you might know and por favor & gracias go a long way. Dressing up with a collared shirt and long pants is pretty much the same as NOB.
Common sense.
juanrey
juanrey
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : George Carlin

https://sites.google.com/site/ouradventureinchapala/

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:45 am

juanrey wrote:Courtesy, respect and trying your best at Español are far more important than what you are wearing.  Acknowledging someone you are passing on the street with a smile and a greeting.  Attempting to use whatever limited Spanish you might know and por favor & gracias go a long way.  Dressing up with a collared shirt and long pants is pretty much the same as NOB.  
Common sense.
Agreed but than I wear shorts all the time except for the catholic church so I would agree.  The local bankers don't seem concerned about my shorts.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:28 am

Sweater vest?! SWEATER VEST??!!
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by holdrja Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:39 am

OP said "the wife" was fretting about winter clothes.... As a mature woman, I've never had a problem when wearing shorts in Ajijic, a few times when walking on my own in Chapala and wearing shorts I've been hissed at by decrepit old (Mexican) guys. Short skirts and incredibly tight jeans seem to be a norm for the younger Mexican ladies. However, after you get spoiled by this climate for a year or two, you may find it's too "cold" in winter to wear shorts anyway.
holdrja
holdrja
Share Holder
Share Holder

http://rdplakechapala.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by papa chango Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:33 am

When I first arrived lakeside a little over 6 years ago, I used to wear shorts all the time.  This rainy season I am wearing long sleeved shirts and long pants.  The reason for this is that the mosquitoes love me. And when I was wearing shorts the little ankle biters used to ruin my legs.  So I am wearing long pants for protection and that may be also the reason that most of the Mexican men here lakeside do not wear shorts.

flag waver
papa chango
papa chango
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : wit and sarcasm Cheech and Chong

http://lakechapalaexpat.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

ETIQUETTE: Re Street Clothes Empty etiquette

Post by gvprod Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:32 am

My parents were in the Military, we traveled all over the world. Military regulations were that you were to dress equal to the locals. Shorts do not belong in ANY church.
My kids tell me to DRESS my age. You look so stupid when your 60 and you dress like you were 20.

However never OVERDRESS....you do not want to make your hosts look BAD.mariachi 
gvprod
gvprod
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : live today like no one else, so tomorrow you can live like no one else

http://www.lathmedia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by saege007 Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:37 am

Most of the local men wear pressed jeans (they iron all their clothes) and either a nice polo or button up shirt. I occasionally see chinos. The younger men will wear nice tshirts as well.

As a woman, I wear either nice jeans, capris, or a skirt/dress. I don't wear shorts above the knee unless I am at the beach.

saege007
saege007
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:59 pm

So any difference between the long shorts below the knee and short shorts?

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:05 pm

Only in terms of age, taste, and perceived intelligence... lol.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:26 pm

WHAAAAAAAT? has this become an annex of fashion policehood from chapala .com and wayyyyy before that mexcon?
wear whatever gives ya comfort and what yer used ta. most o' the shit above only offends the gringos/canuckleheads that writted that it offends.
my wife still looks good in a mini at the age of 63. most of the churls and churlets that are giving ya unoffensive clothing advice and that wander the streets, look like my parents in the 50's. i bet the tapatios snicker-SNORK! and the locals for that matter. our first maid here[age 43] showed up fer work in a mini,see through top and strappy heels.
cargo shorts are really handy with all them pockets. then ya won't need a man purse like gravy uses.
if the church will do mass fer 200 hundred bikers-ya don't gotta worry about showing up in shorts or jeans.
don't worry the small shit
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:42 pm

Pedro wrote:WHAAAAAAAT? has this become an annex of fashion policehood from chapala .com and wayyyyy before that mexcon?
wear whatever gives ya comfort and what yer used ta. most o' the shit above only offends the gringos/canuckleheads that writted that it offends.
my wife still looks good in a mini at the age of 63. most of the churls and churlets that are giving ya unoffensive clothing advice and that wander the streets, look like my parents in the 50's. i bet the tapatios snicker-SNORK! and the locals for that matter. our first maid here[age 43] showed up fer work in a mini,see through top and strappy heels.
cargo shorts are really handy with all them pockets. then ya won't need a man purse like gravy uses.
if the church will do mass fer 200 hundred bikers-ya don't gotta worry about showing up in shorts or jeans.

GEEZ, Gravy does not carry a man purse, It's called a "Man Bag"Beer  Twisted Evil 
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:59 pm

Jim W wrote:
Pedro wrote:WHAAAAAAAT? has this become an annex of fashion policehood from chapala .com and wayyyyy before that mexcon?
GEEZ, Gravy does not carry a man purse, It's called a "Man Bag"Beer         Twisted Evil 
...and now with a very expensive shoe horn.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:36 pm

Jim W wrote:
GEEZ, Gravy does not carry a man purse, It's called a "Man Bag"Beer         Twisted Evil 
No, I believe it is a Murse..........jajaja.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:48 pm

I'd be careful about kicking around the phrase Man Bag.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by natbug Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:11 am

Oh jeez, are you kidding me. NO ONE wants, needs, or cares about your opinion of their clothes, keep it to yourself. Are the snowbirds back or is the usual judgemental crowd the resides here? Give it a rest.

natbug
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:30 am

No one is judging. A visitor asked for opinions on appropriate attire for our area in the first post.

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next