INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Restaurant Swarming

+24
CheenaGringo
Mainecoons
gringal
hound dog
Parker
papa chango
MaggieL
juanrey
Irish Gal
Chico
saege007
itsme
johninajijic
Zedinmexico
Grizzy
Guiness
MexicoPete
simpsca
Trailrunner
Trevor "poncho" Armstrong
Big Daddy Mexico
CanuckBob
merry
RoofBob
28 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Restaurant Swarming - Page 2 Empty Re: Restaurant Swarming

Post by simpsca Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:28 am

After conference with another member, it looks like Tuesday at Viva Mexico in San Juan Cosala is a better day - 2pm. Anyone who knows they want to attend can PM me and I'll make a reservation.

simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by RoofBob Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:41 am

And we have a winner.

Viva Mexico
San Juan Cosala
Tuesday June 12th 2:00 p.m.

Few have done more for their community and few have suffered more than Augustine. Thanks for your suggestion simpsca and your offer to take care of the details!

See you there then,

Bob and Candace

Last edited by RoofBob on Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Truancy)
RoofBob
RoofBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzy Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:32 am

I won't know for sure for a day or two, may be at the airport at that hour. Hope to make it!
Grizzy
Grizzy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : mandatory

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:46 am

We will be there. Viva Mexico, Tuesday at 2:00pm.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by itsme Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:33 am

I am sorry to have missed out on the vote, I too would have picked Mario's, he had a very great loss on May 9th. OK, maybe the next time.

itsme
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:59 am

Yes we should certainly do Mario's on the next round.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RoofBob Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:09 pm

Mario's was numero uno but apparently there's a buncha carnival rides in San Antonio now.
RoofBob
RoofBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by saege007 Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:37 pm

I am interested, but how about some restaurants in Chapala as well?

I work during the week and I can get away for lunch in Riberas or Chapala easily, but Ajijic and further west would take a huge chunk of my work day away from me. I don't have a car, so it's the travel time that would make it impossible.
saege007
saege007
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:03 pm

Folks try not to think of this as one place one time. The idea is to get us out
and get a little bit of money flowing. I doubt if we can find one time and place
to make us all happy. Yep I will be going to Viva Mexico but if someone wanted
to schedule Marios the same week I would go to that one also. Yep we should
do Chapala also so folks like me who have never eaten in Chapala will be exposed
to something new. This can be win win for us and the locals if we make
it happen !!!!

Z

Last edited by Zedinmexico on Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:16 pm

RoofBob wrote:And we have a winner.

Viva Mexico
San Juan Cosala

Few have done more for their community and few have suffered more than Augustine. Thanks for your suggestion simpsca and your offer to take care of the details!

See you there then,

Bob and Candace

If for each resturante we write a little bit on what they are famous for and that kind of stuff.

An example

Welcome to gourmet Mexican food.
Viva Mexico is a very unique experience in San Juan Cosula. Food is very good quality and value prices in my opinion. Viva
Mexico platter is great for those who love the great mexican platter. Rose flavored Chicken is a favorite of the ladies. Suggest
your table order four different things and share the first time. Stuffed peppers are the best I have had. Drinks are good and
plenty strong. Wall has a wonderful mural painted on it where you can see lakeside life. Other wall is covered with beautiful
painting and such. Don't expect super rapido service as they cook things here and you have to wait but the drinks are good
enough to mind the time well. Augustine is a saint and I am warning you about him. He will be your friend!!!!

Bus instuctions:

Take the west local bus and you will see two towers in San Juan Cosula. The first cell tower is to the left and far from the road the
second tower is much closer to the road and get off at it. Walk toward the lake and turn right at the plaza and walk down the
north side of the street and you can't miss it. Retrace your footsteps and walk back to the carratera and pick up your bus. A
nice alternative for the walkers is to walk along the malecon and the lake and pick up the bus at the hot springs. I can guide you
on the first trip if you like.

Auto instuction:
I don't drive much so I will let you folks who do drive come up with street names and such. Someone do this please.

Any suggestions please do!!

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chico Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:57 pm

If the goal is to help out truly struggling restaurants, which I hope it is, my top suggestions would be

Los Cinco Potrillos

Viva Mexico

Mario's

and the always wonderful Salvador at Tio Domingo.

Surprised that two of my four were not mentioned by anyone else

Enjoy Viva Mexico. I have a group of 12 going next week. chico

Chico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:17 pm

Absolutely, Cinco Potrillos! We have to go there. Also Tio Domingo. Mario's is a given. This will be fun.

Not sure if I can make it on Tues tho, it's FM3 renewal day, will have to see. The next one for sure tho.

Saege007, anytime I'm going that I can give you a ride you are more than welcome.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Gal Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:47 pm

Zedinmexico wrote:
RoofBob wrote:And we have a winner.

Viva Mexico
San Juan Cosala

See you there then,

Bob and Candace

If for each resturante we write a little bit on what they are famous for and that kind of stuff.

An example

Welcome to gourmet Mexican food.
Viva Mexico is a very unique experience in San Juan Cosula. Food is very good quality and value prices in my opinion. Viva
Mexico platter is great for those who love the great mexican platter. Rose flavored Chicken is a favorite of the ladies. Suggest
your table order four different things and share the first time. Stuffed peppers are the best I have had. Drinks are good and
plenty strong. Wall has a wonderful mural painted on it where you can see lakeside life. Other wall is covered with beautiful
painting and such. Don't expect super rapido service as they cook things here and you have to wait but the drinks are good
enough to mind the time well. Augustine is a saint and I am warning you about him. He will be your friend!!!!

Bus instuctions:

Take the west local bus and you will see two towers in San Juan Cosula. The first cell tower is to the left and far from the road the
second tower is much closer to the road and get off at it. Walk toward the lake and turn right at the plaza and walk down the
north side of the street and you can't miss it. Retrace your footsteps and walk back to the carratera and pick up your bus. A
nice alternative for the walkers is to walk along the malecon and the lake and pick up the bus at the hot springs. I can guide you
on the first trip if you like.

Auto instuction:
I don't drive much so I will let you folks who do drive come up with street names and such. Someone do this please.

Any suggestions please do!!

Z

Don't forget the special salsa made tableside with roasted veggies. It is superb!! flag waver

Irish Gal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:52 pm

Yes, we plan to pick each of the restaurants having problems in turn. Mario's is a little difficult to get to right now with the fiesta of the patron saint going on. Many of the streets are blocked off. As soon as the fiesta is over we can plan to go there.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:56 pm

saege007 wrote:I am interested, but how about some restaurants in Chapala as well?

I work during the week and I can get away for lunch in Riberas or Chapala easily, but Ajijic and further west would take a huge chunk of my work day away from me. I don't have a car, so it's the travel time that would make it impossible.

Suggest a restaurant in Chapala large enough for our group and we'll put it on the list.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Trevor "poncho" Armstrong Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:28 pm

my wife and I should be able to make it tuesday. We have never been to this restaurant, so where is it?
Trevor
Trevor "poncho" Armstrong
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : sarcastic s.o.b

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:40 am

Trevor "poncho" Armstrong wrote:my wife and I should be able to make it tuesday. We have never been to this restaurant, so where is it?

Down the street west from the plaza in San Juan Cosula which is the village west of Ajijic. Name of Resturante is Viva Mexico.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:31 am

Take the carraterra to the Raquet Club and go past the Raquet Club. There are a lot of topes in this section of the Carr. in a few blocks you will see a vivero with lots of beautiful plants and flowers on the carr. on the left. The very next left hand turn is Cardinale. Make a left onto Cardinale and then your first right - Porfirio Diaz. You go about 3 3/4 blocks to the restaurant on the right. You will pass the town plaza on the way. Restaurant has a sign Viva Mexico - Tia Lupita. You can't miss it on Porfirio Diaz.

By the way Tuesday is tianguis day in San Juan Cosala and they set up on the raised plaza right next to the church. It is no where near the size of Ajijic but lots of fresh veggies and a real typical Mexican tianguis.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:05 am

This is the menu for Viva Mexico where we are meeting next Tues. at 2pm. Please post or email me if you plan to attend so I can make the reservation:

Viva Mexico ~ Tia Lupita
In San Juan Cosala

Appetizers – to start

-Queso fundido (melted cheese – a Mexican traditional dish) - $60
With beef or with Mexican sausage, vegetarian chili peppers, mushrooms tomato and onion
-Salsa en molcajete (special salsa made of char grilled tomatoes and veggies) - $20
-Guacamole - $40
-Beans – cooked to perfection - $15
-Combined order sopes, tacos and enchiladas - $8 pesos each
-Baked potato - $10
With cream or butter and crispy bacon or Mexican sausage
-Sopa Toña (soup) - $35
Combination of tomatoes, cream, peppers, tortilla, avocado and cheese
- Sopa San Juan - $45
Soup with chili poblano (mild) cheese, cream and corn

Traditional Menu

-Pozole - $40
Traditional dish Saturdays and Sundays only, the combination of white and red hominy, served with pork meat – cooked slowly for hours
-Enchiladas - $40
Aunt Lupita’s traditional 5 per order meat, chicken or cheese-
-Sopes (small corn masa – similar to a small tortilla with a lip) - $40
Aunt Lupita’s traditional 5 per order meat, chicken, potatoes and beans
-Tacos Dorados - $40
Traditional Aunt Lupita’s traditional 5 per order beef, chicken, or beef
-Tostadas - $17 each
Delicious Mexican food, chicken or pork
-Quesadillas - $10 each
Delicious fresh tortillas with mozzarella cheese
-Tacos/asada - $10 each
Freshly made corn tortilla with beef and beans
-Burritos - $60 each
With chicken, beef, shrimp and Vegetarian Version as well with rice beans and salad
Entres – Main Course

-Filete miñón – as you like it - $90
Delicious beef tenderloin served with baked potato and bacon, mushrooms, onions and bell peppers
-Puntas de Albañil - $80
Beef fajitas, cooked with onions, bell peppers and tomato, tomato sauce, served with beans/rice guacamole and fresh tortillas
-Arrachera - $80
Jucy Beef flank steak, served with guacamole salad and beans
-Fajitas - $75
Made with beef or chicken seasoned with garlic, salt and pepper, onions, bell peppers, served with rice, beans and salad
-Banderillas - $80
Skewers of beef fillet, chopped peppers, tomato and onion, served with rice, beans and salad.
-Chicken breast marinada - $65
Fillet of chicken, served on a bed of lettuce with rice and vegetables
-Hamburger - $35
Beef patty served onextra large roll with tomato, onion, jalapeño with/or fries
-Milanesa/pollo - $65
Breaded chicken breast fillet accompanied by rice, beans and salad
-Chiles Rellenos - $65
Mild pepper stuffed with cheese, bathed in tomato sauce – baked and served with rice and salad
-Carne asada - $65
Grilled steak served with rice, beans and salad

Seafood

-Cósala - $85
Shrimp prepared with chunks of bell peppers, onions and mushrooms topped with nut cream
-Machis - $85
Shrimp flavored with pepper and onion slices covered in a cream base and chipotle chili, topped with mozzarella cheese
-Tamal mal amarrado - $85
Shrimp wrapped in corn husks, prepared with tomato, onion, cilantro, marinated and topped with mozzarella cheese.
-Camarones al ajo - $85
Garlic Shrimp served with guacamole salad and rice

-Camarones /Brocheta - $85
Shrimp chile pepper chunks, onions, mushrooms and tomatoes served with rice and salad
-Camarones a la BBQ - $85
Family recipe cooked with our special bbq sauce served with rice and salad
-Camarones en molcajete (baked in a traditional stone dish – piping hot) - $95
Shrimp prepared with peppers and onions seasoned with salt and pepper in a sauce made of roasted tomatoes, topped with mozzarella cheese and panella cheese.
-Camarones / Hierbas - $85
Shrimp prepared in olive oil, rosemary, marjoram, salt, pepper, garlic and lemon juice
-Filete Mixtli – Fish fillet - $85
White fillet of fish cooked on the grill prepared with herbs (basil, oregano and cilantro) seasoned with garlic salt and pepper wrapped in corn husks
-Pescado a la Maria - $80
White fillet of fish cooked with olive oil, garlic, onions, yellow and jalapeño peppers, mushrooms, olives and cover with tomatoes sauce.

Specials of the house

-Chiles en Nogada (Mexican traditional dish) - $85
Our house specialty, tasty poblano chile stuffed with beef and pork meat covered in a delicious cream of walnut and pomegranate, served with salad.
-Costillas/BBQ - $80
Ribs Baked in sweet sauce, served with rice and salad
-Molcajetes de meat and/or chicken (baked in a traditional stone dish, a molcajete) - $95
Chicken breast or Beef Steak, with green or red tomato sauce
-Pollo Tarasco - $80
Chicken fajitas cooked in a cream-chipotle pepper cream and onions, served with rice and salad
-Pollo en pétalos de rosa - $85
Stuffed chicken fillet cooked grilled cheese dipped in a sauce made with red wine and rose petals accompanied with vegetables
-Chicken breast with nuts - $80
Chicken breaded with walnuts served with rice and salad
-Mole Poblano - $80
Traditional family recipe mole (Chocolate sauce) with pork meat
-Viva México - $85
Beef, served with Mexican sausage, cheese, sopes, tacos, beans, rice soup, guacamole and salad
-Tía Lupita - $55
The traditional tacos, sopes, enchiladas and tostada
-El Patrón - $90
Flank steak fajita meat and chicken, accompanied by guacamole, beans, rice and salad with a shot of tequila
-Bandera - $60
(Vegetarian) cheese, red and green bell peppers served with beans and salad
-La Juanita - $60
(2 quesadillas, enchiladas 3) cheese, meat or chicken served with rice and beans
-La Mexicana - $75
Beef steak, 1 tostada meat or chicken, served with guacamole, beans, rice and salad
-El Güerito - $65
Chile stuffed with cheese wrapped in flour tortilla topped with tomato and cream sauce served with beans and / or rice and salad

There are often specials of the day – just ask!
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by juanrey Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:42 am

This is such a wonderful idea. Other than helping newbies who are thinking of coming down with tons of valuable information, this board also functions as a group of folks who live here that really value their community. Maybe everyone doesn't always get along, but that's just life.

I have to say to everyone who is responding to this restaurant swarm, Kudos to you. We won't be able to make it next week, but we'll definitely participate as soon as we get back. I

Hats off to everyone who is participating. It is very heartwarming to see such a novel way to help those that are suffering. I hope we can sustain doing this for a long time.
juanrey
juanrey
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : George Carlin

https://sites.google.com/site/ouradventureinchapala/

Back to top Go down

Post by MaggieL Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:45 am

Is Viva Mexico open for dinner or is this one of the restaurants that closes after the lunch crowd?

MaggieL

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:51 am

Yes, it is also open for dinner.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:17 am

Viva Mexico is open every day from 12 noon to 8pm. They are closed on Thursday. So yes they serve dinner. The menu is the same all day.

One thing not on the menu and worth ordering for 20 pesos. They do a fire roasted salsa which they make at your table as you like it - served in a molcajete (stone dish) It is the best salsa I've ever had. They serve a normal salsa for free.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by papa chango Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:00 am

Viva Mexico has a big wooden cask of their own tequila which is pretty good.

If you want to bring some home bring a plastic jug or container.
papa chango
papa chango
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : wit and sarcasm Cheech and Chong

http://lakechapalaexpat.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:24 pm

I'm up north right now but will be back in July for the beautiful rainy season. Is there any chance that sometimes when you schedule these events that they might be on other days than on Tuesday?

I bet some of us are tied up that day. I, for example, go to a Rotary luncheon every Tuesday.
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:32 pm

juanrey wrote:This is such a wonderful idea. Other than helping newbies who are thinking of coming down with tons of valuable information, this board also functions as a group of folks who live here that really value their community.

Yep, totally agree, this was a great idea and should be a good time - every time. Additionally, you never know what other ideas we might come up with after we get going. . .
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next