INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coconut shrimp?

+12
gringal
viajero
hound dog
Zedinmexico
Hensley
johninajijic
MyHomeSweetHome
Mainecoons
CheenaGringo
Jim W
CanuckBob
ferret
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Coconut shrimp? Empty Coconut shrimp?

Post by ferret Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:02 pm

Talked with two of our granddaughters yesterday via telephone...they will be coming down in March. They wanted to know "where's the coconut shrimp restaurant?". Shocked
Haven't a clue here...if anybody familiar with a restaurant that has them year round, please let me know. Thank you!
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Coconut shrimp? Empty Re: Coconut shrimp?

Post by CanuckBob Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:35 pm

I think Cozumel serves coconut shrimp. They also have free margaritas with every meal..........

https://lakechapalainfo.forumotion.net/t1483-cozumel
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:49 pm

CanuckBob wrote:I think Cozumel serves coconut shrimp. They also have free margaritas with every meal..........

https://lakechapalainfo.forumotion.net/t1483-cozumel

They do and they are good......CBOB...Promoting alcohol to grandchildren....... Beer Beer Beer Blackeye Could be my bad if it wasn't for the grandkids.....but for Ferret to weather the storm..... Very Happy
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:32 pm

Cozumel is also known for their bacon wrapped cheese stuffed shrimp. Personally, I like their frog legs.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:21 pm

Letys has them too.

Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:27 pm

Awesome! Thanks so much!
Please make my day and tell me that Cozumel is open for lunch and/or early dinner...although I could phone them tomorrow and ask.
Couldn't find Letys listed in the Chapala Directory so need more info please.
...and if anyone knows where to find coconut shrimp in Ajijic that would be a bonus too.
Thanks again.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MyHomeSweetHome Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:34 pm

Had coconut shrimp today! Personally, I prefer Tony's coconut shrimp w/shredded coconut in the batter. It's most like what you'll find on the coast. However, my husband prefers the coconut shrimp from Lety's. It doesn't have shredded coconut in the batter. Have them try both & decide which place they like best :) Both do take out. Lety's is across the street from the Coca Cola plant near Super Lake in San Antonio. You know where Tony's is right? Next door to Super Lake.

MyHomeSweetHome
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:00 pm

Yes, Cozumel is open for lunch, or at least it was the last time I was there.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:45 pm

Thanks again for the prompt replies!
Myhomesweethome...the shredded coconut has to be in the batter and the dipping sauce should be spicy mango...gramma listens ya know! :)
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:36 pm

ferret wrote:Talked with two of our granddaughters yesterday via telephone...they will be coming down in March. They wanted to know "where's the coconut shrimp restaurant?". Shocked
Haven't a clue here...if anybody familiar with a restaurant that has them year round, please let me know. Thank you!

We had Coconut Shrimp at Cozumel once, the other person had Crab stuffed with Cheese. It was so gross. NEVER again. Letty's has good Coconut Shrimp as does Tony's. The best Shrimp Tempura is at Ricki's, lightest batter, non greasy.

The absolute best Coconut Shrimp I have had is at Outback in the Galerias Mall. They give you good portions of quality food.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by MyHomeSweetHome Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:58 pm

ferret wrote:Thanks again for the prompt replies!
Myhomesweethome...the shredded coconut has to be in the batter and the dipping sauce should be spicy mango...gramma listens ya know! :)

The sauce is the problem i have at both places, thumbs down, i didn't use the sauce. In that case take them to Los Guayabitos and eat at the restaurant on the hill overlooking the Guayabitos bay. Best coconut shrimp w/proper mango sauce :). Plus the girls will love a day and night at the beach and the amazing scenery on the way there and back!

MyHomeSweetHome
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:28 am

ferret wrote:Awesome! Thanks so much!
Please make my day and tell me that Cozumel is open for lunch and/or early dinner...although I could phone them tomorrow and ask.
Couldn't find Letys listed in the Chapala Directory so need more info please.
...and if anyone knows where to find coconut shrimp in Ajijic that would be a bonus too.
Thanks again.

Letys is right there at the bottom of El Parque, about two blocks east of the Carretera/Libremiento exit, pretty much across from the Coca Cola distributing place and behind and to the right of the bus stop. Very easy to find. I also love their breaded shrimp, very tasty breading and not too much of it. Their veggie sides are pretty undistinguished. Great chips and salsa.
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hensley Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:00 am

Another vote for Letty's!
Hensley
Hensley
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:17 am

I don't think it has two "t's."

Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:57 am

MyHomeSweetHome wrote:
The sauce is the problem i have at both places, thumbs down, i didn't use the sauce. In that case take them to Los Guayabitos and eat at the restaurant on the hill overlooking the Guayabitos bay. Best coconut shrimp w/proper mango sauce :). Plus the girls will love a day and night at the beach and the amazing scenery on the way there and back!

Don't forget that we lived year round in San Pancho for six years (about a half hour south of Guayabitos) and these girls know their coconut shrimp. They had two favourite places...La Ola Rica in San Pancho and Don Pedro's in Sayulita. Nothin' like whilin' away a few hours watching the surfers from Don Pedro's palapa.

I'll check out all the recommendations...
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MyHomeSweetHome Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:59 pm

ferret wrote:
MyHomeSweetHome wrote:

Don't forget that we lived year round in San Pancho for six years (about a half hour south of Guayabitos) and these girls know their coconut shrimp. They had two favourite places...La Ola Rica in San Pancho and Don Pedro's in Sayulita. Nothin' like whilin' away a few hours watching the surfers from Don Pedro's palapa.

I'll check out all the recommendations...

Wow, I didn't realize you lived on the coast. Welcome inland :) Let us know which place wins, I'm hoping you'll like Tony's the best, like I do. Yum! *sigh* now back to dieting...lol I think I can gain a pound just by thinking about coconut shrimp!

The sauce at Lety's is a semi spicy mango but not like the coast by any stretch of the imagination. Tony's sauce is like a yogurt/mayo/sour cream w/yellow food coloring in it. It's just not right. Kind of like a, "what were you thinking??" sauce.

MyHomeSweetHome
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:42 pm

So do ya think Tony's would be ticked if I picked up the sauce at Lety's first and used it on his coconut shrimp? :)
BTW, inland wins hands down. The summer's are just too hot on the coast and your electrical meter spinning around at the speed of light does not help the experience. When we first moved there from San Miguel de Allende, we had a VW bug. We had to buy another vehicle that had air conditioning after experiencing only one summer...couldn't get the butter home without it melting into oblivion.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MyHomeSweetHome Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:50 am

Since my hubby likes Lety's shrimp we've had both plates and sauces at our table. You try it. Maybe your tastebuds would like it but it's not for me. I think you could buy a side of sauce for sure!

I've been on the coast, Melaque, when it was hot as hell & no a/c. After one night w/out a/c or sleep, we rented some bugalows & i stayed in the bedroom w/a/c till evening. While we were out, the owner always came over while we gone to turn off the a/c. Argh! It would have been comfortable enough to sleep but we had to start all over again each night. I can't stand the heat. It zaps my energy & I become a not very nice person.

MyHomeSweetHome
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:12 pm

Went to Lety's today for lunch...WAY too much batter on the shrimp and never did such much coconut...the sauce was good though :)
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:52 pm

Well now you have to go check out Cozumel. Remember to wash them down with some of those free margarita's.........
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:09 pm

Still haven't gotten to the Cozumel...but I can report that La Tasca has coconut shrimp...the real deal. Their peach sauce was excellent too but could have used a bit more bite to it.
La Tasca is opposite La Nueva Posada. It has a beautiful garden setting overlooking the lake and good entertainment. Beside the 7 of us, there was only another table occupied by two last Friday night. The waiter was attentive but the food was lack lustre. Everyone ordered some kind of shrimp dish and they were all overcooked...edible but disappointing. Can't imagine what it would be like if they were busy.
On the other hand, maybe it's known as place to hang out for the music and not the food...anyone know?
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:44 am

gerret - A few years ago we had the same experience with the Coconut shrimp and the batter was too heavy.

I don't know if anyone at Lakeside does a decent Coconut shrimp.

The "best" Coconut shrimp we have had is at Outback in the Galerias mall. All of Outback's food is superior.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:45 am

johninajijic wrote:gerret - A few years ago we had the same experience with the Coconut shrimp and the batter was too heavy.

The "best" Coconut shrimp we have had is at Outback in the Galerias mall. All of Outback's food is superior.

Not sure if I aggree with all of Outbacks food being superior but John is absolutely correct they do have a very very good Coconut Shrimp.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:59 am

Zed - Poor choice of words? Maybe I should have said very good and seems consistent. Nice place and good waiters/waitresses too. Especially for a chain restaurant.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:19 pm

[quote="Zedinmexico"]
johninajijic wrote:gerret - A few years ago we had the same experience with the Coconut shrimp and the batter was too heavy.

Not sure if I aggree with all of Outbacks food being superior but John is absolutely correct they do have a very very good Coconut Shrimp.

Z[/quote]

"...very good Coconut Shrimp." at an Outback Steakhouse is an oxymoron. Sort of like extolling the virtues of the superb Moon Pies with the requisite RC Cola at a Seven/Eleven in Yazoo City or the Chinese food at some greasy spoon dive in Yokeltepec.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next