INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Authentic Indian food now at food court in Centro Laguna plaza

+23
gringal
slainte39
Lady Otter Latté
JayBear
shirley
kiko
coffeeguy
Rosa Venus
DaveP
beentheredonethat
brigitte
Trailrunner
CanuckBob
lunateak
borderreiver
David
suegarn
windrider17
Mrs. Rupert
Carry Bean
Wide Sky
ferret
Kiwifruit
27 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Authentic Indian food now at food court in Centro Laguna plaza - Page 4 Empty Re: Authentic Indian food now at food court in Centro Laguna plaza

Post by gringal Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:43 pm

I understand what you're saying.  I suggested that you don't take any of mine or Lady Otter"s banter on the subject seriously.  You know who the "put down" artists on these boards are who do the "more Mexican than thou" number; same with the "too many gringos" people or the ones that feel superior because they DON'T live in Ajijic and then, the ones who feel superior because they DO.  You haven't been guilty of any of it, by the way. Good on you.

Most of us do learn early on that the word is "picante" for fiery cuisine. Otherwise, our only hope is requesting "crema" or going hungry.

I've taken at least three Spanish courses over the years and worked with online courses. I'm old and nearly deaf, so serious conversation in the language is hopeless, but I can usually get through printed material and exchanges with workers, tradesmen and my tolerant neighbors.

Now, how about that Indian food court food: have you tried it?

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Authentic Indian food now at food court in Centro Laguna plaza - Page 4 Empty Re: Authentic Indian food now at food court in Centro Laguna plaza

Post by Rosa Venus Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:54 pm

gringal wrote:Has anyone else noticed the attitude of the "spicier than thou"....

Are you asking me to apologize for liking spicy food? Am I not entitled to have an opinion on the topic?

There is NO END of restaurants in this area that serve non-spicy food. (Yves, Paninos, Robertos, Tango, Brunos, Cocinarte, Manix....and I could name fifty more if I wanted to.) When a restaurant finally opens that is supposed to have spicy food - Thai, Indian, etc., - and doesn't in order to try to appease local blander palates, I'm disappointed.

Is that unfair?

ADDITION: I stepped away from computer and didn't see the follow-ups until after posting this. Whatever.

Last edited by Rosa Venus on Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:56 pm

gringal wrote:I understand what you're saying.  I'm suggesting you don't take any of mine or Lady Otter"s banter on the subject seriously.  You know who the "put down" artists on these boards are who do the "more Mexican than thou" number; same with the "too many gringos" people or the ones that feel superior because they DON'T live in Ajijic and then, the ones who feel superior because they DO.  You haven't been guilty of any of it, by the way. Good on you.

Mil gracias y muy amable, mi amiga.......!!OOPS, excuse me...... lol!

If you are just having fun and light hearted, I can laugh all day long at me/us and have a "copa" together.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:24 pm

gringal wrote:
 I'm old and nearly deaf

Now, how about that Indian food court food:  have you tried it?    

Now, I'll test your good humor....
Soy mas viejo y mas sordo que tu, pero, ni modo

Yes . I have tried it and it's  OK with me but I'm no expert.  I remember an Indian restaurant in Montego Bay, Jamaica that had a beef?/lamb? curry that was fantastic, almost as good as birria. Very Happy
Have eaten at a lot of those Indian/Pakistani restaurants in East London but wasn't that impressed.  Probably went to the wrong ones and ordered the wrong thing

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:32 pm

Yo también, y ni modo también. jajajaja
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:28 am

Rosa Venus wrote:
gringal wrote:Has anyone else noticed the attitude of the "spicier than thou"....

Are you asking me to apologize for liking spicy food? Am I not entitled to have an opinion on the topic?

There is NO END of restaurants in this area that serve non-spicy food. (Yves, Paninos, Robertos, Tango, Brunos, Cocinarte, Manix....and I could name fifty more if I wanted to.) When a restaurant finally opens that is supposed to have spicy food - Thai, Indian, etc., - and doesn't in order to try to appease local blander palates, I'm disappointed.

Is that unfair?

ADDITION: I stepped away from computer and didn't see the follow-ups until after posting this. Whatever.

Couldn't agree more, Rosa, as nice as the owners of those restaurants are, and they run good businesses, I find their menus and food to be COMPLETELY uninspiring. I never eat at them unless someone I'm with wants to. I sure didn't move here to eat pot roast or liver and onions. . . not that there's anything wrong with that!
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:40 am

I love spicy food but northern indian food  is not that spicy if spicy is what you like... I remember that my mouth was on fire  when I moved in with a Pakistani  family that came for northern India but after I got used to that and started looking for other types of food from India,  other areas have way spicier food so it is all  relative.
Hot spicy food is a little addictive and people who enjoy it are forever trying to raise the level of heat, my husband is that way... I do not think it is a competition, their bodies get used to the heat and they look for something hotter..

I can eat pretty hot food but my stomach does not agree with it any longer and right now I am eating every day with indigenous workers and a Japanese maestro.. in that area they have chiles I have not seen around but are extremely fiery.. and these guys are having a ball chewing on these fiery things  with salt and lemon.. One of them is extremely tasty, until the heat gets you  and it is close to  a manzano or habanero but the flavors are way more interesting . I can see eating getting addicted to those but not anymore.. I am going to try to get the seeds and a photo maybe someone can id them as I only know the Tzeltal name.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:10 am

I am less tolerant than I used to be. That can change again, I'm sure. I really understand the concept of taste buds getting used to something. Like salt.
I know that Mexicans are more pain tolerant because of the capsaicin level of various chiles but wondered if the same thing happened in other areas of the world that like spicy food... or is it specifically the chiles? I love horseradish yet most Mexicans say it's way too spicy. Go figure.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:51 am

slainte39 wrote:
gringal wrote:
 I'm old and nearly deaf

Now, how about that Indian food court food:  have you tried it?    

Now, I'll test your good humor....
Soy mas viejo y mas sordo que tu, pero, ni modo

Yes . I have tried it and it's  OK with me but I'm no expert.  I remember an Indian restaurant in Montego Bay, Jamaica that had a beef?/lamb? curry that was fantastic, almost as good as birria. Very Happy
Have eaten at a lot of those Indian/Pakistani restaurants in East London but wasn't that impressed.  Probably went to the wrong ones and ordered the wrong thing

Si, si, pero soy es mas viejo y sordo, I'll betcha.
Back in the days when we lived in the Monterey Bay area, many Silicon Valley Indian imported workers opened family restaurants of every kind.  Heaven.

And, for all those who love mas picante and are complaining about local restaurants that don't have it.....they are all still in business after years.  Why?  Because the majority of their customers are happy and return, and from the looks of the diners, most of them are expats from NOB.

Here's a suggestion:  carry a spice kit with you and pour it on that bland food.  Yeah, yeah, I know it's not quite the same, but sacrifice is good for the spirit.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:03 am

¡Ja, ja! ¿Y Yo? Soy mucho mas viejo que los ambos, mas o menos sordo y un poco ciego tambien. ¿Necesititan mas infermadades de edad? Los tengo, varios tipos.
And......damned if I can find an Indian restaurant at all in Tucson. I think there was one, but the owner died young. Even the Mexican food here in Tucson is......well, it is sort of Sonoran.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:12 am

gringal wrote:

Si, si, pero soy es mas viejo y sordo, I'll betcha.

I call that bet and raise it, but I'll let you off the hook on a onetime friendly gesture, since you fell hook, line, and sinker for my bluff of "youth".
You're a good sport and take a lot of needling from me, but it's all an act. (on my part)..... Very Happy Beer

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:17 am

RVGRINGO wrote:¡Ja, ja!  ¿Y Yo?  Soy mucho mas viejo que los ambos, mas o menos sordo y un poco ciego tambien.  ¿Necesititan mas infermadades de edad?  Los tengo, varios tipos.
And......damned if I can find an Indian restaurant at all in Tucson.  I think there was one, but the owner died young.  Even the Mexican food here in Tucson is......well, it is sort of Sonoran.

Wait a minute.....who invited you to this party?  It's hard enough trying to make my own pitch without you jumping in and Shit stirring

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:26 am

Aw, cummon! I have little else to do. pirat

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:30 am

There's room enough at the party for all the old farts and fartesses, eh?

RV: I did some time in Arizona long ago and concluded it was no place to get stuck. My empathies for your exile!
Beer

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:15 pm

Thanks. It is not great, but it does have the VA & Medicare & we could afford a house. No grass, just cacti & gravel, etc. Very boring, though at my energy level, it matters little. Keep the party going......

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:32 pm

gringal wrote:

RV:  I did some time in Arizona long ago and concluded it was no place to get stuck.  My empathies for your exile!
Beer

The land of Joe Arpaio and Jan Brewer?  Well maybe that explains their dispositions.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Authentic Indian food now at food court in Centro Laguna plaza - Page 4 Empty On Indian Cuisine

Post by Bubba2shoes Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:32 am

I am no authority on Indian cuisine but did live and travel about in East Africa (with a large Indian colony) and India in the 60s.. In 1969, I came up with the princely sum of the equivalent of $13USD to buy a second class railway ticket to travel from Bombay to Islamabad to the Nepalese border to Calcutta to Madras and through Central India back to Bombay and I will assert that Indian food varies considerably regionally. Delhi food is good but not spicy. Madras food is so spicy it will melt your teeth. I found food in Bombay, Calcutta and Madras to be a fine treat but in Delhi to be a bit dull for my taste.To each his own but since the new Ajijic Indian restaurant's chef is from New Delhi and doubtless has toned down his food for U.S. and Mexican tastes, my
expectations are to prepare for disappointment.

Bubba2shoes
Share Holder
Share Holder

http://rbplummer1@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:04 am

" Delhi food is good but not spicy." (Bubba2shoes)

If Delhi food is good by not spicy, then they didn't need to tone it down for "U.S. and Mexican tastes" did they?

So......be prepared for Delhi food, eh? Beer

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:12 am

"Madras food is so spicy it will melt your teeth." hahahabha Bubba. You made my teeth hurt!
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Bubba2shoes Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:46 am

Chefs from Delhi tone down the food's spiciness for the North American palates. I adore spicy/hot food so you may take my word for this.I was eating food in a Madrass reestaurant which I orderd extra hot and I consumed this extremely spicy food which was so hot, the tears from my eyes were copiously flowing.? I glanced up and the entire kitchen staff wasa peering through the kitchen peephole and laughing at what they thought was my western distress. I informed the head chrf that if food did not produced significant tears, it was unworthy of consumption.

Bubba2shoes
Share Holder
Share Holder

http://rbplummer1@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:53 am

The only thing that's really important is what you think of the Indian mall slots' food after you try it......and let us know what you think.  You had the advantage of extensive travel abroad and the chance to sample the real deal in many countries.
My experience with Indian food from various areas was limited to Indian restaurants in CA; some of which were spicy; some not so much.  I love the flavors and am happy with what they're serving at the mall.  Going there shortly!

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:24 pm

We had good Indian food when we drove our RV throuch Nevada, Wyoming, etc. You know; Pemican, Bison on Bannock, Corn pudding, etc. Loved it. On the way back east, we stopped in Kingston, Ontario and found an Indian restaurant there. No bison, just a tandoori place. But it was also good.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:35 pm

Don't forget the owners of this food stand have a restaurant in Guadalajara called "Goa" - so maybe some Goan cuisine items will be added. Interesting food, influenced by Muslims, then Portuguese Catholics, now backpacking vegetarian types.
http://www.storypick.com/delicious-goan-cuisine/
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:59 am

Vindaloo is Goan food - who knew? That's typically the spiciest, hottest dish you will find in British curry shops. Almost like a challenge, always accepted by the after pub crowds. Then many bad jokes as in "had vindaloo last night, this morning bin to da loo". Must have inspired Ms. Chillin, she is making chicken vindaloo right now.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Clete Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:12 pm

CHILLIN wrote:Don't forget the owners of this food stand have a restaurant in Guadalajara called "Goa" - so maybe some Goan cuisine items will be added. Interesting food, influenced by Muslims, then Portuguese Catholics, now backpacking vegetarian types.

To be kind, the food there is uninspiring.

Clete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:23 pm

Clete wrote:
CHILLIN wrote:Don't forget the owners of this food stand have a restaurant in Guadalajara called "Goa" - so maybe some Goan cuisine items will be added. Interesting food, influenced by Muslims, then Portuguese Catholics, now backpacking vegetarian types.

To be kind, the food there is uninspiring.

Tell us if any food court offerings have ever "inspired" you?
lol!

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next