INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Authentic Indian food now at food court in Centro Laguna plaza

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Authentic Indian food now at food court in Centro Laguna plaza - Page 3 Empty Re: Authentic Indian food now at food court in Centro Laguna plaza

Post by shirley on Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:23 pm

Yum, breakfast taco with curry sauce from leftovers with scrambled eggs...so good!

shirley

Back to top Go down

Authentic Indian food now at food court in Centro Laguna plaza - Page 3 Empty Re: Authentic Indian food now at food court in Centro Laguna plaza

Post by CanuckBob on Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:34 pm

How about empanadas filled with curried beef or chicken. Would be kind of like a samosa.

CanuckBob
Humble Administrator
Humble Administrator

Humor : Sick and twisted

http://Www.casadecomo.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte on Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:35 pm

yes that would be very good.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal on Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:43 pm

Tacos are the universal solvent for leftovers. They WORK. A little shot from the bottle of that spicy guacamole sauce or whatsit and whatever you've got on hand is transformed into GOODNESS. Easy on the cook, too.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by JayBear on Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:09 pm

Well, hey, we ate there today, and I thought it made a nice change from our usual restaurants and Chez Moi. Variety is the spice of life.

JayBear
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by beentheredonethat on Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:43 pm

Took 2 combos meals home today. Very good. Great to have them here for a quick meal. Much better than Jasmine's.

beentheredonethat

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN on Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:11 pm

CanuckBob wrote:How about empanadas filled with curried beef or chicken. Would be kind of like a samosa.

We call those "Jamaican patties" in Vancouver. They were started by a couple illegal Jamaicans on Vancouver's giant nude beach - Wreck Beach, they also sold spliffs and cold beer, figured, correctly that police would be unlikely to raid. I was concerned where they kept their change and the patties, but they had change purses and ice coolers. Then they opened a storefront and commercial kitchen. I miss the large West Indian influence there.

http://boredinvancouver.com/listing/jamaican-patty-shop-vancouver/
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret on Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:14 pm

Roti is what we called those "Jamaican patties" in Toronto. Seriously YUM!
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN on Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:54 am

Roti is like a flour tortilla, made with Atta flour, which is ground wholewheat. The Vancouver patties have an enclosed, crunchy flaky pastry, inside dripping with greasy goodness and quite spicy for palates of that time.

Australians have their famous Hansa pie, a small meat pie where the top crust is puff/flaky pastry, the bottom is wholewheat pastry. Again filled with greasy goodness. Australians can cheer their favorite football or rugby team with a pie in one hand, large can of beer in the other. Canadians have a unique talent, which I have witnessed many times, they can carry a can/bottle of beer, and a cigarette at the same time, and if they fall, not a drop is spilled or a puff wasted.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner on Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:16 pm

I fight myself not to eat at this curry place every day! I love the veg curry, and everything I've had has been delicious.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus on Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:27 pm

I am no expert in Indian food, but I tried it today and enjoyed the curry chicken and butter chicken I had, along with the rice. Not "hot" spicy but tasty enough. I'll return.

I thought the naan lame. Definitely not fried, just sort of a tired piece of bad pita, or something.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob on Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:48 am

Naan isn't supposed to be fried. It is brushed with melted butter and baked in an oven or on a grill. I found it lacking in garlic.

CanuckBob
Humble Administrator
Humble Administrator

Humor : Sick and twisted

http://Www.casadecomo.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus on Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:27 pm

I know naan isn't fried. But this just wasn't much of anything. Maybe they ran out of naan and I really did just get a piece of pita. Either way I'll be back.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner on Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:39 pm

I really like the food there and go about 3 times a week, for now - or until I get tired of it. The people are nice and since I cannot eat the wheat items they usually give me a good serving of curry and rice. Works for me.

However, I was disappointed to see today that the to-go container has gotten smaller.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Bubba2shoes on Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:19 am

As did Kiwifruirt, this boy spent some time in In India traveling about and my time there was in the 1960s when a 2nd class (there were three classes on Indian trains in those days) cost me the equivalent of about $13 USD. 3rd Class was dirt cheap but quite uncomfortable and, shall we say, crowded and 1st Class was subject to robbery by highwaymen in those times plus passengers one met there tended to be a bit snooty. I became quite fond of Indian food there although I must say that I found the Indian food in East Africa better when speaking of Northern Indian cuisine but that's another story. I look forward to returning to Ajijic from San Cristobal de Las Casas soon to try this new "Indian" restuarant there but my expctations are modest ad I have found Indian food in North America to have been modified to suit North American tastes. Exported Indian food is generally spiced down except, in my experience, in England and East Africa and that is my expectation in Ajijic as well.. I have no. doubt about this. My favorite cuisine in India was Madras style vegetarian food. i will abslutely not be experiencing that style of cooking in Ajijic and that presumption is not meant as a negative, simply a fact of life

Bubba2shoes
Share Holder
Share Holder

http://rbplummer1@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN on Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:23 pm

Like Trailrunner, I was surprised at the quality and taste of the vegetarian curry, and the vegetarian with black gram lentil stew. Real home style, comfort food taste. The rice cooked to perfection as well. If they were smart, they would stock some Indian and Pakistani curry pastes and chutneys. Big profits on those items.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus on Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:26 am

Bubba2shoes wrote:Exported Indian food is generally spiced down except, in my experience......that is my expectation in Ajijic as well.. I have no. doubt about this.

No doubt is right. In Ajijic an egg salad sandwich is spiced dowm.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal on Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:17 am

Has anyone else noticed the attitude of the "spicier than thou" toward those who can't digest hot, super spicy stuff? Makes me feel like I should have ordered a new stomach before daring to move to Mexico.  But then, I keep running into Mexican natives who can't handle it either.  A comfort of sorts.

Whether it's totally authentic or just marginally so, that new Indian restaurant's food is "just right" for this wuss. Love the flavors !
Very Happy

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté on Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:35 am

Yes, Gringal. I have noticed the condescending attitude by some toward those who can not handle super spicy (or even spicy at all) food. I enjoy a moderate amount of heat but do not apologize for passing on the stuff that sets my mouth and insides on fire.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal on Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:44 am

Lady Otter Latté wrote:Yes, Gringal. I have noticed the condescending attitude by some toward those who can not handle super spicy (or even spicy at all) food. I enjoy a moderate amount of heat but do not apologize for passing on the stuff that sets my mouth and insides on fire.

Same category as the "more Mexican than thou" who can't resist posting in Spanish on this or TOB.
lol!

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 on Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:51 am

Can't they be easily ignored?   Just like the person who can throw down 15 straight shots of whiskey while someone else is nursing one pina colada.
Don't bother me either way or up or down.....to each his own.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté on Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:58 am

I do ignore them but I notice it because, well, I am reading their post or listening to them talk. Just making a comment about it now since Gringal asked. It's called conversation and not a big deal.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 on Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:58 am

gringal wrote:
Lady Otter Latté wrote:Yes, Gringal. I have noticed the condescending attitude by some toward those who can not handle super spicy (or even spicy at all) food. I enjoy a moderate amount of heat but do not apologize for passing on the stuff that sets my mouth and insides on fire.

Same category as the "more Mexican than thou" who can't resist posting in Spanish on this or TOB.
lol!

!!!OUCH!!!
Wonder if you are Mexican?  I'll just quietly put my Spanish away a quietly sneak off into the night. lol!

Just as bad as being Roman Catholic in  English Protestant controlled Ireland for hundreds of years.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal on Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:15 pm

....not meant to be taken seriously, just "conversation" as Lady O.L. said.
Another branch of the same tree as those expats who don't want to be where there are "too many gringos".  

Fine if you're fluent in Spanish and say so until you decide to post an entire article in same on an English speaking web board where some do and some don't have their Spanish solidly in place.  Some are too old to learn; some too deaf to converse and some just dinna care.
I say give them a break.  Google Translate turns languages into mush. Be kind to the language impaired.
Beer

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 on Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:08 pm

In my family, Spanish is the first language, I use my IFE card for ID, and my Mexican passport for travel abroad, so being "more Mexican than thou" comes naturally and without malice.
Mexicans are all over the place on how much comida picante they can handle, but it is probably more than foreigners, but to say spicier is saying a lot more. Mexican cuisine has/use a lot of spices that are not picante. Picante is one word non Spanish speakers should learn as English doesn't seem to have an equivalent. ("hot" has a very different dual meaning as well as "spicier")
When I'm around family, I'm probably around "too many Mexicans", and when I indulge on this board, I'm probably around "too many gringos"....so be it. lol!
I try to only use Spanish here, in/with interaction with a few other members who occasionally write something in Spanish, and not to "show off".  I haven't seen any rules of the board that prohibits the use of Spanish, and I can guarantee that there are a whole lot of Spanish speakers, that I know, who follow this board with some degree of regularity, that don't post because they are not articulate in English, but like to learn how English speakers converse and more importantly their attitudes about things. This also applies to TOB and why I have so much problem with it, especially MC and his chief toadys.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal on Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:43 pm

I understand what you're saying.  I suggested that you don't take any of mine or Lady Otter"s banter on the subject seriously.  You know who the "put down" artists on these boards are who do the "more Mexican than thou" number; same with the "too many gringos" people or the ones that feel superior because they DON'T live in Ajijic and then, the ones who feel superior because they DO.  You haven't been guilty of any of it, by the way. Good on you.

Most of us do learn early on that the word is "picante" for fiery cuisine. Otherwise, our only hope is requesting "crema" or going hungry.

I've taken at least three Spanish courses over the years and worked with online courses. I'm old and nearly deaf, so serious conversation in the language is hopeless, but I can usually get through printed material and exchanges with workers, tradesmen and my tolerant neighbors.

Now, how about that Indian food court food: have you tried it?

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum