INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Rumor Mill

+14
kiva
CheenaGringo
ferret
johninajijic
Bud
hound dog
espĂ­ritu del lago
Walter
hockables
David
bobnliz
kipissippi
CanuckBob
oncesubtle
18 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The Rumor Mill Empty The Rumor Mill

Post by oncesubtle Mon May 23, 2011 7:37 pm

A friend's friend isn't renewing her lease on a business property she has had for years on the carretera in Ajijic because they are going to widen the road. Seems the gov. will expand the roadway to 20 meters on each side of the center line through Ajijic. The rumor did not include time lines or any other details. Shocked
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

The Rumor Mill Empty Re: The Rumor Mill

Post by CanuckBob Mon May 23, 2011 9:19 pm

That's too bad. I would have rather seen them carry along the mountainside bypass from Joco to the Libreimento (sp) versus ruining the ambiance along the carretera.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Mon May 23, 2011 10:51 pm

Bummer.
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : goofy

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Tue May 24, 2011 12:46 pm

I agree, though I might argue that the ambiance of much of the carreterra at present leaves something to be desired.
The bypass, were it to be constructed, could make driving the carreterra a much more pleasant prospect, all things considered.
Think of the Sunday afternoon traffic coming back from the South Side. I don't think anybody would miss it. Lizzy
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : wry ans dry

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tue May 24, 2011 1:03 pm

There's no land for a bypass. Besides, all the delivery trucks wouldn't use one if it existed. The plan to widen has been in place for years. Maybe now there's money to do it?
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Tue May 24, 2011 5:46 pm

Could be?
There is a presidential election coming up soon....
mariachi Anything could happen! Lizzy
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Wed May 25, 2011 12:08 am

don't see much alternative with traffic on the increase... cross your fingers, hope for the best... it might not be all bad

some new developement might be a good thing... roadside parking certainly could be improved... sometimes you can see delivery trucks stopped along the roadside, that look like they are going to fall over...

they might even put some light bulbs in the traffic lights!!
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Walter Wed May 25, 2011 9:56 am

Will that make El Barco a drive thru? Beer
Walter
Walter
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Wed May 25, 2011 12:17 pm

I give up.... What does make El Barco a drive thru? Lizzy
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Wed May 25, 2011 12:23 pm

Ummm... a road that goes through it?
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : goofy

Back to top Go down

Post by espĂ­ritu del lago Wed May 25, 2011 12:50 pm

No drive- bys' favor.

The Rumor Mill 531444 The Rumor Mill 531444
espĂ­ritu del lago
espĂ­ritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Wed May 25, 2011 7:17 pm

This, folks, is Mexico. When they widen the carretera through downtown Ajijic, I can tell you from much experience in Chiapas, Oaxaca, Veracruz and Yucatan states that what will happen is all sorts of vehicles including delivery trucks and anybody who needs to stop and double park for a "Mexican" brief "momentito" will at least partially block the right lane in both directions which means that drivers passing by will be abruptly changing lanes carelessly and there will be many anxious moments transiting the Ajijic central district on the carretera. As a note of encouragement, allow me to assure those of you who have not driven extensively in Southern Mexico where this sort of risky driving is commonplace, after a while you get used to it and become quite adept at dodger driving and casual horn blowing. I guess the state can minimize this problem by issuing copious parking tickets but I´ll be willing to bet that four lanes or, more likely two lanes with wide shoulders and street parking, will do absolutely nothing to alleviate traffic congestion and will probably make it worse. We already drive through village back streets to cross Ajijic and rarely shop downtown because of the traffic congestion and difficulty of finding parking so, as other locals follow our lead and avoid the area, Downtown Ajijic, as with so many U.S. small towns, may just dry up and become a rustic reminder of some distant point in the past. Who cares, really as we have the new mall and the WalMart and whatever lies down the road to replace an area that has become an anachronism. This has happened in countless U.S. towns and suburban malls and fast food drive throughs are thriving while old downtowns have become instant slums. Every dawg has his day. I see a great future for whitebread neocolonial enclaves of midwestern refugees driving their cars or golfcarts to convenient mega-shopping centers and strip malls and the development of countless home delivery businesses, including fancy food takeout, for nearly every consumer good with special passes to all those suburban and exurban heavily guarded limited access retirement enclaves so there will be no reason to ever visit Mexico at all here in a highly socially stratified Ajijic retirement paradise and visits to all parts of Mexico can be by buses crammed with old folks who could otherwise ogle the exotics on a new sort of HD Oasis TV Channel featuring human settlements and natural wonders and maybe even simulated drug cartel/federal police shootouts.

Last edited by hound dog on Thu May 26, 2011 12:53 am; edited 1 time in total
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Walter Thu May 26, 2011 12:35 am

Dawg- Just exactly what I was going to say! Very Happy Lizzy- El Barco has a bar out side on the north side of the carreterra. You can sit there and watch for fenderbenders. The best days are when the puppy salesman is working. With a widened road, this bar is about where an aggressive hitchiker would stand. Don't fall off your barstool. Beer
Walter
Walter
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Bud Fri May 27, 2011 1:50 am

Hey, Walter. Your avatar (Jeff Dunham's ventriloquist dummy "Walter") looks a LOT like that nut minister that announced the end of the world last weekend. Look up his photo and see for yourself.

Bud

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Fri May 27, 2011 10:09 am

The rumor of widening the road existed before I moved here 10 years ago. Since then they have done at least 2 surveys of the road with no results seen. Much of the road will remain the same as it is already 4 lanes wide, example La Floresta area.. The only portion traveling from west to east where buildings will be demolished is from Las Casitas motel thru the stores on the right farther up and from the stores on the Post Office side to Ajijic Clinic who will lose it's front parking.

The businesses who built into the Federal Zone were given provisional (temporary) permits to build and they expect their buildings to be bulldozed. They will be paid by the Mexican government.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Fri May 27, 2011 1:30 pm

That sounds pretty straightforward, John. Might I ask where your info came from? Lizzy
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Fri May 27, 2011 5:08 pm

bobnliz wrote:That sounds pretty straightforward, John. Might I ask where your info came from? Lizzy

My information came from my Mexican Physical Therapist who was born in Ajijic and has lived here all his life. Pretty reliable info I'd say compared to Gringo opinions on this or any other blog.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by David Fri May 27, 2011 5:24 pm

This isn't a "blog" John. It's a Web Board. It makes me wonder how many other misconceptions you harbor.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Fri May 27, 2011 5:28 pm

What is a Blog anyways?

I dunno any of this Puter Lingo...
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Fri May 27, 2011 5:31 pm

From Wikipedia:

A blog (a blend of the term web log)[1] is a type of website or part of a website. Blogs are usually maintained by an individual with regular entries of commentary, descriptions of events, or other material such as graphics or video. Entries are commonly displayed in reverse-chronological order. Blog can also be used as a verb, meaning to maintain or add content to a blog.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Fri May 27, 2011 5:31 pm

What is a Blog anyways?

I dunno any of this Puter Lingo...
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Fri May 27, 2011 9:55 pm

Loved the Wikipedia definition of a blog. I've always thought of them as online diaries or journals. Can't quite get my head around this current need for everything and every move to be public...whatever happened to personal privacy?
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Sat May 28, 2011 7:41 pm

What personal privacy?
The other day I was checking out a political site; went to the "register" page, and before I could type anything... up popped my avatar!
My computer, or the server I guess, had taken upon itself to try to predict my wishes. What unmitigated gall! Shocked Lizzy
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat May 28, 2011 7:49 pm

John:

Admittedly year 6 was kind of a short one and then you rapidly drifted into year 7. Now it appears that years 8 and 9 were passed by because 10 years sounded better. How many times does the Mexican Physical Therapist credibility have to be shot down?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat May 28, 2011 10:32 pm

bobnliz wrote:What personal privacy?
The other day I was checking out a political site; went to the "register" page, and before I could type anything... up popped my avatar!
My computer, or the server I guess, had taken upon itself to try to predict my wishes. What unmitigated gall! Shocked Lizzy

Wow! That's scary!...and a good reason to limit personal information given out on a forum. Who knows how it will be used. Ain't nuthin' sacred anymore.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next