INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Food for Thought - Mandatory Militia Service for Gun Owners to fight ISIS

+5
Flamingo
Lady Otter Latté
gringal
Zedinmexico
hueco_negro
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Food for Thought - Mandatory Militia Service for Gun Owners to fight ISIS Empty Food for Thought - Mandatory Militia Service for Gun Owners to fight ISIS

Post by hueco_negro Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:20 am

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/lets-send-our-gun-packing-watercooler-warriors-to-fight-isis-2015-11-20
hueco_negro
hueco_negro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Food for Thought - Mandatory Militia Service for Gun Owners to fight ISIS Empty Re: Food for Thought - Mandatory Militia Service for Gun Owners to fight ISIS

Post by Zedinmexico Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:27 am

Start with the children of the members of the house and senate OK?

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Food for Thought - Mandatory Militia Service for Gun Owners to fight ISIS Empty Re: Food for Thought - Mandatory Militia Service for Gun Owners to fight ISIS

Post by viajero Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:03 am

Zedinmexico wrote:Start with the children of the members of the house and senate OK?

Z
I ain't no senator's son.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:11 am

Never said you were.  Just saying Children of the powerful should go to war like all the poor kids trying to get an education out of joining the military. This has nothing to do with veterans but has to do with the upper class children avoiding military service or they do easy service while they wave the flag and such.  Want to end the war bring the draft back.  Too much of these wars is on the back of our poorer families in my opinion. The NRA does not start or continue to support war.  House and senate members do thus my comment about them first.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:15 am

Zed,I liked your post,it just reminded me of the CCR song Fortunate Son.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:40 am

viajero wrote:Zed,I liked your post,it just reminded me of the CCR song Fortunate Son.

I'm on board with bring back the draft. No exemptions for the sons and daughters of the power elite, since they are the ones supporting the wars and voting for them. I'm pretty sure that if a lawmaker's 18 year old debutante daughter were likely to be drafted, he'd think two or three times before voting to put her boots on the ground.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:52 am

Naw, the rich and powerful can buy their kids' way out of a draft as we clearly saw during the Vietnam war. Whether it is a deferment of one kind or another or some cushy bushy position in a safe environment, they can send other people's kids off to die while keeping their own safe.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:55 pm

Remember W's special unit in the Texas National Guard? Sons of the wealthy and powerful and members of the Dallas Cowboy football squad.

I do like the idea of drafting owners of assault weapons however. One only need read the comment section on the article to see that it has struck a nerve.
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by artesialulu Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:50 pm

"I do like the idea of drafting owners of assault weapons however. One only need read the comment section on the article to see that it has struck a nerve."

And then who will be home to protect the citizens from the government? Remember Kent State and Janet Reno's little get together? Lot's of gun cleaning went on during and after those events. Militias are to protect the people from the government. And in the event of a foreign power invading the country you can be sure the militia would be there.
artesialulu
artesialulu
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:50 pm

Lady Otter Latté wrote:Naw, the rich and powerful can buy their kids' way out of a draft as we clearly saw during the Vietnam war. Whether it is a deferment of one kind or another or some cushy bushy position in a safe environment, they can send other people's kids off to die while keeping their own safe.

At least it would interfere with their party plans.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by artesialulu Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:51 pm

gringal wrote:
Lady Otter Latté wrote:Naw, the rich and powerful can buy their kids' way out of a draft as we clearly saw during the Vietnam war. Whether it is a deferment of one kind or another or some cushy bushy position in a safe environment, they can send other people's kids off to die while keeping their own safe.

At least it would interfere with their party plans.

And giving swimming lessons to their girl friends.
artesialulu
artesialulu
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:38 pm

artesialulu wrote:

And then who will be home to protect the citizens from the government?  Remember Kent State and Janet Reno's little get together?  Lot's of gun cleaning went on during and after those events.  Militias are to protect the people from the government.  And in the event of a foreign power invading the country you can be sure the militia would be there.
Well seeing as you brought up the subject,I have this question for you chapala payaso/lulu,weren't the National Guard who murdered the students at Kent State militia ?
Milltias to protect the people from the government,what a joke.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by artesialulu Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:00 pm

viajero wrote:
artesialulu wrote:

And then who will be home to protect the citizens from the government?  Remember Kent State and Janet Reno's little get together?  Lot's of gun cleaning went on during and after those events.  Militias are to protect the people from the government.  And in the event of a foreign power invading the country you can be sure the militia would be there.
Well seeing as you brought up the subject,I have this question for you chapala payaso/lulu,weren't the National Guard who murdered the students at Kent State militia ?
Milltias to protect the people from the government,what a joke.

Well Bob Curtin, I believe you can make a good point for considering the National Guard as a militia. My thinking of a militia was more of a volunteer informal group of citizens npt unlike the air wardens of WWII days. But the intent of the original militias was to protect the citizens from the government. My point is that drafting senior citizens et al with teens (or younger) simply because they own an appropriate weapon leaves the home guard decimated. It is not an serious point any more than the original article suggesting it is.
artesialulu
artesialulu
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:25 pm

I think there is a vast space between an "Air Warden" and a "militia member" with a weapon.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:41 pm

To be fair not all folks could buy their way out of the draft. Local draft boards vary on how strict they are/were. My father could not avoid the draft and he was working for the government at the time and had a relative who was one of the two senators from Maine at the beginning of the Korean War. So folks results may vary due to location of your draft board if they still even exist other than emergency plans. No I didn't go my draft number was 320.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:15 pm

With all due respect, Zed, your father did not have the money or the juice to get you out had you been called. You were just cannon fodder even to the relative who was a senator who likely was just carrying water for the likes of the Bushes and the Trumps. You were not in the league I am talking about.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:21 pm

artesialulu wrote: Militias are to protect the people from the government.  And in the event of a foreign power invading the country you can be sure the militia would be there.

Read and study both the constitution, and American History instead of listening to Faux News. As an old American History major, I can assure you, your comment is total horse pucky.
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:34 am

Lady Otter Latté wrote:With all due respect, Zed, your father did not have the money or the juice to get you out had you been called.  You were just cannon fodder even to the relative who was a senator who likely was just carrying water for the likes of the Bushes and the Trumps. You were not in the league I am talking about.

You might not want to believe it but everybody went from Bar Harbor Maine at that time. It didn't matter who your family was to the local draft board and yes my family had the clout at that time. How about governor or senator for ya. I never said my father had any clout as he was a college professor and university administrator for his life. He avoided the family and left. It was a good decision. I never tried to avoid I just took my draft number and was lucky. Still think everybody should give two years to the country someway. I did. Now who knows how much power the wealthy have.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:14 am

I am willing to put my neck out here and say that the wealthy (as in the 1%) have enough power to keep their children from dying in any wars. .
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by lunateak Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:18 am

They may serve but likely no where near any action.
lunateak
lunateak
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:45 am

lunateak wrote:They may serve but likely no where near any action.

How about Jack Kennedy?

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:51 am

gringal wrote:

How about Jack Kennedy?
Or John McCain or Bush Sr.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by artesialulu Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:19 am

viajero wrote:
gringal wrote:

How about Jack Kennedy?
Or John McCain or Bush Sr.

Or John Kerry.
artesialulu
artesialulu
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:27 am

The exceptions that prove the rule. How many other sons of wealth and privilege served in combat? Look at today's all volunteer military and name sons and daughters of the 1% or even 10% who are serving or have served in war zones. Take your time.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:36 am

Don't know about wealth or influence, but even flaming liberals like Lee Marvin and George McGovern.  Don't know about John Wayne or Dick Cheney.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next