INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Type of car to own Lakeside

+15
oncesubtle
Walter
hound dog
hockables
GBATRUCKS
Parker
roni
Carry Bean
simpsca
johninajijic
martygraw
gringal
CanuckBob
David
kiva
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Type of car to own Lakeside Empty Type of car to own Lakeside

Post by kiva Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:56 pm

Is there one make of car that is better to own Lakeside, or does it make any difference.
Example - we have a Hyundai & an older Lexus SUV. We're thinking of selling one, if not both.
I'm assuming Guad has most all dealers, but if you needed to get something done Lakeside are parts & mechanics available to work on most all cars? Or, would it be best to buy a used Toyota, or VW to take down?

kiva
kiva

Back to top Go down

Type of car to own Lakeside Empty Re: Type of car to own Lakeside

Post by David Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:05 pm

You can get your cars serviced here, no need to sell them.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:22 pm

I wouldn't be driving any SUV's around Mexico. They seem to be highly desirable with the bad guys. I know they typically like the big, black Escalades and Expeditions but why take a chance. I would deep six the Lexus and take down the Hyundai.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:43 pm

Agreed. Keep the car low key. There are some great mechanics around here who can fix anything at a reasonable price.

However, having experienced the problems of trying to dispose of your US plated car later, and hearing about it also from others, if you're planning to stay in Mexico, I'd come down carless and buy one new or used here. Fewer problems down the line, and the cops seem to pay less attention to Mexican plated cars.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by kiva Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:58 pm

I was thinking about getting rid of the Lexus, but liked the space it had for moving stuff down. We'd come down initially on the tourist visa and then change to the FM3 when we got there and determined that it was right for us.

Can you buy a car Lakeside while on a tourist visa, or would that require me to rent a car for a period of time until we changed over to an FM3?
kiva
kiva

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:04 pm

When we come down for good, I plan on coming down without a car mainly due to the incredibly long drive it would be from Vancouver. I would also rather have a Mexican plated vehicle. I am all about flying under the radar. In fact, I may buy something local with a shit kicked body and put a new running gear under the hood. I like wrenching on cars so it would give me something to do.......

Not sure about the FMM vs FM3 thing. Spencer will know.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by martygraw Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:22 pm

About 6 years ago I drove a new Hyundai Accent down from Winnipeg, we have used ir ever since for driving the lakeside area and Guadalajara. It now has 85000 KM on it and has never had any work done except changing the oil and topping up the freon. Will prob drive it til it quits, great little car. We also have a Chrysler van for the longer trips and driving back to Canada.
martygraw
martygraw
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:01 pm

Kudos to you Marty. That is one looong drive...... Hyundai Accent is a great little car. With only 85K you'll be driving it for a long time to come.

CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:14 pm

You can have any visa when buying a car.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:12 pm

CanuckBob wrote:I wouldn't be driving any SUV's around Mexico. They seem to be highly desirable with the bad guys. I know they typically like the big, black Escalades and Expeditions but why take a chance. I would deep six the Lexus and take down the Hyundai.

If you have an older SUV, nobody will bother you because it isn't worth much. I have had my 1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer here for 10 years since it was 3 years old and still have it.

Because I'm handicapped and have walking difficulties and can't get in/out of most cars easily, I'm going to be buying a fancy 3 year old SUV. I'll take my chances. That's what Insurance is for. Why sould I give up anything at 67 years old?

To answer your question on SUV'S, the Toyota RAV 4 and Honda CRV'S are poular here and are good cars. The right size for narrow roads and small spaces. I'd consider a Ford Escape too. Forget GM. I rented a new Chevy Impala in Toronto last year. What a piece of shit. I couldn't wait to give it back.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:13 am

I had a 12 year old Honda Passport when I moved here. With a big vehicle you will have some problems parking on the narrow streets near LCS and Colon for example. So unless you love them or like John really need one I would go for a smaller one. I'm now driving a Suzuki SX4 which is not quite a compact just a little bigger -and I love it. Not good for hauling stuff around though. If I could afford it I would have a big old one to keep for moving stuff and the small one to drive around town.

Bob's idea of a beat up old clunker on the outside and new on the mechanics occurred to me years ago when I lived not too far from Newark, NJ the car theft capital or the world at that time. Bob, maybe you could go into business when you move here (beating the crap out of new vehicles:)
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:41 am

Ditto everything Simpsca said. If you feel you really need an SUV (shudder) I can vouch for RAV-4's as John recommended. I had one for years in the Virgin Islands. Great car but since mine wasn't a 4-WD it was really skiddy in the rain.

I drive a Honda Fit now & there is really much more room in the back with the seats down than you'd think. Haven't felt the need to haul big stuff as with furnishing a new house, big stuff was always delivered. It's not hard to have stuff hauled here for peanuts anyway.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:00 pm

simpsca wrote:I had a 12 year old Honda Passport when I moved here. With a big vehicle you will have some problems parking on the narrow streets near LCS and Colon for example. So unless you love them or like John really need one I would go for a smaller one. I'm now driving a Suzuki SX4 which is not quite a compact just a little bigger -and I love it. Not good for hauling stuff around though. If I could afford it I would have a big old one to keep for moving stuff and the small one to drive around town.

Bob's idea of a beat up old clunker on the outside and new on the mechanics occurred to me years ago when I lived not too far from Newark, NJ the car theft capital or the world at that time. Bob, maybe you could go into business when you move here (beating the crap out of new vehicles:)

Hmmmm.......not a bad idea. Building custom "old beater" look vehicles with a newer running gear. You might have something here. I'll have to partner up with the local auto wreckers.......

Beer
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by roni Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:17 pm

CanuckBob wrote:I wouldn't be driving any SUV's around Mexico. They seem to be highly desirable with the bad guys. I know they typically like the big, black Escalades and Expeditions but why take a chance. I would deep six the Lexus and take down the Hyundai.

I think a small one, like the VW CrossFox would be fine

roni

Back to top Go down

Post by David Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:26 pm

Unless you need to pickup 4 people at the airport.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:56 pm

So far my vehicle of choice down there has been the beaten Chrysler mini van. Holds 8 people, nobody gives it a second look, you can knock it and scrape it down the skinny streets and it has enough oomph to push that car in front of you ahead a few feet when he only leaves you 3 inches.....
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:14 am

kiva wrote:Is there one make of car that is better to own Lakeside, or does it make any difference.
Example - we have a Hyundai & an older Lexus SUV. We're thinking of selling one, if not both.
I'm assuming Guad has most all dealers, but if you needed to get something done Lakeside are parts & mechanics available to work on most all cars? Or, would it be best to buy a used Toyota, or VW to take down?

I think your older Lexus (how old?) would be just fine. Like John said they aren’t worth much plus their pretty much useless without a key and at $170. US for a replacement, I don’t think there worth the bother of stealing. The major issue is to make sure it has a high clearance because of the many cobblestone streets and topes (bumps put in the road to slow traffic).

Roads in the quaint villages are narrow but doable with SUVs however I would stay away from the really large ones. Then when you get here, if you find the need, buy a smaller Mexican plated vehicle. Do keep in mind that when you want to get rid of the car it will have to be taken out of Mexico. Even an old Lexus is still a fine car and they seem to last forever. There only a status car for the first couple of years and then us regular folks can afford to buy a really decent car, if you don’t mine second hand. Very Happy

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:19 am

Depends on if the size of the friends. I've gotten a total of 5 in my Suzuki SX4, but then we would have had to put the luggage on the roof. Shocked
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:47 am

Fact of the matter is that it doesn't matter much what kind of car you own here. (Well, I would advise against a huge black SUV with darkly tinted windows or any other excessive bling.)

We had a big pickup last year; got rid of it and bought a Honda FIT. No problems with the topes; just don't head over one at 60 mph......in anything. Taxi drivers aren't using high clearance vehicles to get around. They drive regular four door cars. They seem to like Nissans because ?

Bear in mind:
If you bring in a foreign plated car and want to get rid of it later, you can't sell it here. The various alternatives involve a world class hassle, which may cost more than shipping your stuff in the first place and buying a car when you get here.
Check our Rolly's site on foreign cars and visa regulations for permanent resident status.

Whatever you do about a car, be sure you get housing with good off street parking. "Good" means you are not on the side of a one way street where people can park in your driveway. They will, no matter how big a NO sign you have.

Last edited by gringal on Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by GBATRUCKS Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:13 am

With a lot of years in the transportation industry, my research indicated the Toyota Rav-4 was best of class. I bought a new one in 2005, pulled the rear seats & had them shipped with our furniture. This freed up a lot of room. I see no need to get Mexican plates which you have to pay for each year. Expired U.S. plates are allowed here and I've never been hassled. And I've got Arizona plates!

Whatever you buy, make sure that brand is well represented in Mexico or you will be waiting for parts to be shipped from the U.S. Another thing, if buying up north, is to make sure the warranty applies in Mexico. Toyota has a good dealership (Dalton) that is easy to get to & less than an hour from Jocotepec. I've convinced 3 friends here to get Rav-4's & all seem happy with them. I've got about 50000 miles on mine & no probs.
GBATRUCKS
GBATRUCKS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Black Adder sarcasm

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:28 am

The other half wanted a Rave 4, and they are a well equipped vehicle... but I leaned to Honda's CRV as it had considerably more space inside.

A good economical SUV you might consider would be a FORD ESCAPE.

Personally, I bought a Jeep... but I wanted a convertable :)
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:21 am

My one complaint about the RAV4 is that the seats aren't comfortable. After a four hour ride in my friends' car, I discovered that in spades. Besides that, the back seats don't have enough leg room unless the front seat occupants are short enough to pull them forward.

Otherwise, I like Toyotas for their reliability. Our pickup had nearly 100,000 miles on it when our daughter took it home to AZ, and it's still going strong a year later. Never had a problem.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:41 pm

CanuckBob wrote:When we come down for good, I plan on coming down without a car mainly due to the incredibly long drive it would be from Vancouver. I would also rather have a Mexican plated vehicle. I am all about flying under the radar. In fact, I may buy something local with a shit kicked body and put a new running gear under the hood. I like wrenching on cars so it would give me something to do.......

Not sure about the FMM vs FM3 thing. Spencer will know.

Well, CB, the local cholos will be mighty surprised when they pull their usual trick here and drop the engine out your "pretend" clunker and find they have hit the jackpot. These guys have dropped engines out of cars here in La Floresta even on tianguis days right down the street. By the way, Mexican car insurance won´t cover you for a missing engine so if you get in the car with those prized comestibles from the Ajijic tianguis and find there is no engine to crank, push the whole remaining clunker into the lake and make sure it can´t be spotted in the turbid water. Then claim the whole thing.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Walter Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:00 pm

Well, I hate to disappoint you all, but I have purchased the perfect ride for Mexico. I flew down to Seattle in my quest for a Suzuki Samurai. I stayed two days in the drizzle, enjoying arthritis to the fullest, and didn't find a thing.

Took the bus to Vancouver and got a room. Rain by the bucket. Arthritis better yet. Trying to locate vehicles on line. A few available. Finally said screw it, and booked a flight back to Edmonton. At my friend's place I located this in Calgary. Much better vehicle than a Sammy. It's a 1985 Bombardier Iltis. Iltis is German for polecat. In Europe it is called VW Iltis or VW Model 183.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pOcpESCF60&NR=1
Walter
Walter
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:21 pm

It's a beauty Walter, rainy season special, are we to expect a visit soon?
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next