INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Swarm 19

+19
CHILLIN
Jim W
Pedro
bman2
Rosa Venus
TrueBrit
joyfull
lobita
barbicheesecake
peteben
MexicoPete
slainte39
borderreiver
hkrause
zenwoodle
simpsca
oncesubtle
Zedinmexico
CanuckBob
23 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Swarm 19 - Page 3 Empty Re: Swarm 19

Post by TrueBrit Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:02 pm

Pictures of the swarm are on the site too.  I will be posting a video too.
The mechanic is coming tomorrow to check out the brakes, which will definitely need some work - either adjusting or replacing.  I took the seats off the cart yesterday and discovered an alarming amount of rust that had eaten through quite a bit of the seat base.  In one case, I was turning a bolt to free the seat and it just broke the metal because of rust.  However on each seat, there are three good anchor points, so I will ask the mechanic for advice on whether it can/should be fixed.  I have three nuts and one screw that are holding the guard rail that are stuck tight.  I am trying to let WD-40 work on them as I don't want to cause any more damage.  They have to be removed before I can take the seats to the upholsterer.  The mechanic also pointed out some metal damage to the battery compartment caused by leaking battery acid.  I haven't got an estimate on that yet, or whether it is absolutely necessary.  It is an old cart and at some point you have to weigh the value of what is fixed.  I anticipate it will need continued maintenance down the road.
Regarding pimping this ride, I am more than happy to make it as attractive as possible (after it is as safe as possible), but I am not sure how to do this.  My plan was to get the seats reupholstered and rebuilt, clean the entire cart, inside and out, repaint the black metal structures, shine up the fiberglass cover, polish the wheels and tires, clean the carpets, armorall the rubber, and paint the edges of the fiberglass cover to scratches.  If anyone has any other ideas, and as long as they are covered by the donations or don't cost that much more, I would be happy to make it as padre as possible.

TrueBrit
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by zenwoodle Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:20 pm

Don't forget flames on the side.  Beer 
zenwoodle
zenwoodle
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic, but nobody seems to get it

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:28 am

Make the seat cover out of red sunbrella fabric. Same as the awning cloth. It lasts forever and you can scrub it and it doesn't degrade from the sun like normal cloth. Cooler to sit on than plastic also. Paint the flames to match.  Cool!!  ???

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by TrueBrit Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:55 am

Thanks. When I took the seats off, I noted that what had happened was, because they have no garage or other cover, when the rains came, it soaked the seats and the foam held on to the water. This caused the base of the seats to rust away. Recognizing it will still be outdoors during the rainy season, I think I have to use something waterproof. Zed, is the sunbrella fabric waterproof?
I am going to look for advice on what to do with the seats. I am not 100% sure they are structurally sound. So it may take a little longer than I anticipated to get the car ready.
Brakes getting fixed this morning.

TrueBrit
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:01 am

a knowledgeable welder/bodyman should be able to repair an even badly rusted seat. your mechanic would know one.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:07 am

I had a boat cover made of Sunbrella and it lasted nearly 10 years. I think is water resistant and not completely water proof. Your best bet for seats is to either contact EZGO Golf carts or check with cart sales or golf course to check out material used on seats. Most seats are leather or heavy duty plastic so they can easily be wiped down and dried.

The official website of Sunbrella® brand fabrics

www.sunbrella.com/‎

Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by TrueBrit Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:49 am

The mechanic checked the brakes and the pads are fine, but leaking battery acid has destroyed the cables. I asked him is this was better or worse news. I got the feeling he would have preferred to change the brake pads than to replace a mechanically dubious braking system.
I showed him the seats, and as always, he knows a friend, who can repair the seats with fiberglass. He told me the standard covering for golf cart seats is a plastic leather.
When the brakes are fixed I can take the cart to a welder who can fix the battery holders, again which have been eaten away with battery acid.

TrueBrit
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by TrueBrit Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:04 pm

Estimates for repairing the seats:$1800, estimate for upholstery foam, etc. $1100.
Anyone with any experience of dealing with upholsterers and seat repairers...does this seam reasonable?

TrueBrit
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:23 pm

Sorry - I have come to this thread late. I brought down two Trojan T105 golf cart batteries. I was going to setup a solar in Puerto Vallarta, but have since changed my mind. These batteries are two years old, and have never been used. They are six volt, which hook up as parallel to make 12 volt. If they will fit Mario's cart, I will donate them. They are worth about $150 US each. They are 68 lbs each, and super heavy duty. Private email on where to pick up.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:56 pm

That's a really generous offer, Chillin. Trojan batteries are considered among the best, if not THE best. You should contact the organizers of this directly if you don't hear back from them via this thread. Kudos to you.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:14 pm

Yes, thanks Chillin!!!!!
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:19 pm

All batteries must be close in age and condition or they fight each other when charging but aside from this issue what a nice offer!!!! Trojan batteries are very good quality. After it is fixed up before rainy season he needs a cover to stop future corrosion. Lets hope we can buy two more new Trojan T105 batteries. I am assuming we need four. Right?

Z

Last edited by Zedinmexico on Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:22 pm

Jim W wrote:I had a boat cover made of Sunbrella and it lasted nearly 10 years.  I think is water resistant and not completely water proof.   Your best bet for seats is to either contact EZGO Golf carts or check with cart sales or golf course to check out material used on seats.  Most seats are leather or heavy duty plastic so they can easily be wiped down and dried.

www.sunbrella.com/‎

You spray the sunbrella fabric and water rolls off like water off a duck. I have a hammock made out of it with no spray and water just
kinda rolls off it. I just think red sunbrella would look really cool with some matching red flames on the side and it sure is cooler in the
sun than pleather. Are you coming back for a visit??

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:57 pm

Zedinmexico wrote:
Jim W wrote:I had a boat cover made of Sunbrella and it lasted nearly 10 years.  I think is water resistant and not completely water proof.   Your best bet for seats is to either contact EZGO Golf carts or check with cart sales or golf course to check out material used on seats.  Most seats are leather or heavy duty plastic so they can easily be wiped down and dried.

www.sunbrella.com/‎

You spray the sunbrella  fabric and water rolls off like water off a duck.  I have a hammock made out of it with no spray and water just
kinda rolls off it. I just think red sunbrella would look really cool with some matching red flames on the side and it sure is cooler in the
sun than pleather.   Are you coming back for a visit??

Z

Zed, sent you PM
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by TrueBrit Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:20 am

Thanks Chillin - I sent you a PM.

I'm afraid I have to leave the flames alone - they have been air-sprayed by someone (unlike me) who knew what they were doing. Having cleaned off the sides, they are actually in very good shape.

TrueBrit
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:21 pm

Truebrit has the six new batteries which are the very best option and should last ten to twelve years. How is he going to lock it up? I have a Schlage motorcycle cable lock I am not using. It's very heavy duty.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:27 pm

Here is a solution that I spotted in an upscale area right off of Ave. Mexico in Guadalajara:
Swarm 19 - Page 3 <a href=Swarm 19 - Page 3 Dscn6216" />

If it works for a Vocho?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:05 am

CHILLIN wrote:Truebrit has the six new batteries which are the very best option and should last ten to twelve years. How is he going to lock it up? I have a Schlage motorcycle cable lock I am not using. It's very heavy duty.

I have a really good lock that I will donate if we can get some chain.

Let me know and I will look for the lock. It can't be opened with a bolt cutter.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:22 am

CheenaGringo wrote:Here is a solution that I spotted in an upscale area right off of Ave. Mexico in Guadalajara:
Swarm 19 - Page 3 <a href=Swarm 19 - Page 3 Dscn6216" />

If it works for a Vocho?

I sure hope he remembers to unchain it before he tries to drive away......jaja.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by TrueBrit Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:28 pm

The metal worker came to look at the cart this morning.  We wanted to replace the rusted supports for the batteries.  Unfortunately, he also noticed that the leaking battery acid had weakened the chassis beneath the batteries and it had completely broken.  It is a tubular chassis, so this meant that one of the tubes was completely severed.  He is going to weld a support for the chassis along with the supports for the battery.
Surely we are running out of things that can surprise us.  The flames are getting pushed down the priority list.
Swarm 19 - Page 3 Chassi11

Swarm 19 - Page 3 Suppor11

TrueBrit
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:35 pm

At some point it may be better to look for another golf cart. Has anyone approached any of the golf courses to see if they have an older one to donate (or sell off very cheap?)
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by TrueBrit Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:49 am

I had originally asked the mechanic when he came to check the batteries, was it worth investing money in the cart. He told me that golf carts were so simple and cheap to fix, that it is really only the batteries that count. If you have new batteries, you have a new cart. However, I should have realized that he had a vested interest in telling me everything could be repaired cheaply.
But where we stand right now, regardless of the original wisdom of going forward with this particular cart, is that we have new batteries, new tire, new brakes, new seats, fixed chassis, new lights. The batteries would be transferable to another cart and they represent 75% of what has been paid so far. I have committed to the chassis repair and the seats, so they will have to be paid. It does drive well, so that is in its favor.
But as this went on, I too was wondering when to cut my losses, and look for alternatives.

TrueBrit
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:19 am

Perhaps we could get David to ask Atlas if they have an old one to donate. He is a member there.

David, what say?
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by TrueBrit Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:59 pm

A couple of minutes of a well-swarmed event.  Music by The Pogues.

TrueBrit
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:54 pm

Bob, They....Atlas, lease their carts from the Club Car dealer in GDL.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:20 pm

there is nothing old and wrecked that can't be fixed,especially here in mexico. seems to me,if people have already donated that the project should continue until completed.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next