INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advantages of becoming a naturalized citizen versus a Permanente visa holder?

+13
Jim W
Intercasa
arbon
MyHomeSweetHome
Traveller
elbelgicano
Rolly
sparks
viajero
brigitte
CHILLIN
slainte39
CanuckBob
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Advantages of becoming a naturalized citizen versus a Permanente visa holder? - Page 2 Empty Re: Advantages of becoming a naturalized citizen versus a Permanente visa holder?

Post by Zedinmexico Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:11 am

brigitte wrote:After 60 you do not have to take a test so learning the history or the language is not an issue.
I know a couple of people who were brilliant, spoke many languages and came down with Alzheimer so I would not trust that theory either.

Not sure it is true anymore. In Oaxaca my over 60 friend had to do both Spanish and History test.  Maybe local thing???? She says she had to know the
middle name of the governor of Baja California and failed the first time. She felt like it was get even time a little bit. How many people here know the
middle name of the governor of Baja????

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Advantages of becoming a naturalized citizen versus a Permanente visa holder? - Page 2 Empty Re: Advantages of becoming a naturalized citizen versus a Permanente visa holder?

Post by Spot Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:32 am

Also they might change this permanente thing and start making us renew again when the new administration comes again. You never know.

Spot
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Luisa Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:39 am

Zedinmexico wrote:
brigitte wrote:After 60 you do not have to take a test so learning the history or the language is not an issue.
I know a couple of people who were brilliant, spoke many languages and came down with Alzheimer so I would not trust that theory either.

Not sure it is true anymore. In Oaxaca my over 60 friend had to do both Spanish and History test.  Maybe local thing???? She says she had to know the
middle name of the governor of Baja California and failed the first time. She felt like it was get even time a little bit. How many people here know the

Z

I wouldn't know how to answer that--do they mean the maternal name?

Luisa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:14 am

Luisa wrote:
Zedinmexico wrote:

Z

Needed the middle family name.This name uses Spanish naming customs; the first or paternal family name is Peña and the second or maternal family name is Nieto.  (wiki info) Sorry was not clear.

Enrique Peña Nieto

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:50 am

One thing I have noticed in Mexico - anything worth having is never easy to get.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:55 am

Zedinmexico wrote:
Luisa wrote:
Zedinmexico wrote:

Z

Needed the middle family name.This name uses Spanish naming customs; the first or paternal family name is Peña and the second or maternal family name is Nieto.  (wiki info) Sorry was not clear.

Enrique Peña Nieto

Z

Is the governor of BC????     lol!

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:28 pm

Zedinmexico

I helped a friend over 60 1 month ago in Guadalajara and there was no test. Oaxaca maybe different but there is no test in Guadalajara for sure as of one month ago.

By the way they give you the pist of the possible question and I never saw that question on the list..unless they recently came up with a new study list.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:34 pm

brigitte wrote:Zedinmexico

I helped a friend over 60 1 month ago in Guadalajara and there was no test. Oaxaca maybe different but there is no test in Guadalajara for sure as of one month ago.

By the way they give you the pist of the possible question  and I never saw that question on the list..unless they recently came up with a new study list.

I have a feeling they were giving her a hard time for some reason. She came back the next day and gave the proper answer and all was well. I did find
Oaxaca people seem very serious compared to folks here in Jalisco.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:46 pm

So they let her take the test twice in 2 days and they are more serious than in Jalisco?? I would say they are very serious in Jalisco and very professsional.do not know about Oaxaca SRE.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringomojado Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:54 pm

CanuckBob wrote:So other than being able to purchase property and hold the title in the restricted zones, what are the advantages of becoming a naturalized citizen versus a Permanente visa holder for someone that is retired?

Advantages:
Very hard to get deported
Can criticize government ( but may disappear)
Can vote
Can join military and be subject to compulsory service (depends on age when retirement begins
Can criticize gringos

Disadvantages:
No drinks on election days (Ley Seca) As a non-citizen, I used to forget about election Sundays but was never refused a beer. The 1st time , in " Las Carnes Asadas, I wondered about all the Mexican guys drinking Coke and that my beer came in a ceramic mug. The girls were not wanting to negate my beer request, but not anger the Nationals (Les daban pena)

Can no longer be openly ethnocentric about how much better the USA culture is.

Can't be caught in Arizona after dark!

Can never really leave Mexico!!!

gm
gringomojado
gringomojado
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:55 pm

Jajaja.........thanks for the straight answer gringomojado!!!!!
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by gringomojado Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:12 pm

CanuckBob wrote:Jajaja.........thanks for the straight answer gringomojado!!!!!

Then, if legalized,would I be "gringo seco"?
gm
gringomojado
gringomojado
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:35 pm

Not a big issue, but.....
If becoming a Mexican citizen from US status.....a Mexican passport is nice when travelling in countries where they have been burning US flags recently....or countries where their leaders have been "tapped" by US spooks.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:01 pm

slainte39 wrote:Not a big issue, but.....
If becoming a Mexican citizen from US status.....a Mexican passport is nice when travelling in countries where they have been burning US flags recently....or countries where their leaders have been "tapped" by US spooks.

Slainte, most of the countries burning US flags are not on the top 10 vacation spots promoted by travel agents, so, I for one don't have to worry..... lol! 
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:44 am

Visit beautiful North Korea!

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:09 am

or Cuba

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringomojado Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:54 pm

brigitte wrote:or Cuba
Actually,Cuba has suffered much from USA policies, and has really showed little hatred for USA in return.
I feel very safe in Cuba and well treated! I feel well treated in Mexico, but at times not overly safe!
gm
gringomojado
gringomojado
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:57 pm

Sorry you misunderstood my point. If you are Mexican and use your Mexican passport you do not break any rule , if you use your US passport you brealk a rule.
I know you probably will not be caught but the simple fact remains that you break the law of your country.
That would not be one of my reason for becoming a citizen since I am not from the land of free and the home of the brave .

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2