INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advantages of becoming a naturalized citizen versus a Permanente visa holder?

+13
Jim W
Intercasa
arbon
MyHomeSweetHome
Traveller
elbelgicano
Rolly
sparks
viajero
brigitte
CHILLIN
slainte39
CanuckBob
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Advantages of becoming a naturalized citizen versus a Permanente visa holder? Empty Advantages of becoming a naturalized citizen versus a Permanente visa holder?

Post by CanuckBob Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:53 pm

So other than being able to purchase property and hold the title in the restricted zones, what are the advantages of becoming a naturalized citizen versus a Permanente visa holder for someone that is retired?
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Advantages of becoming a naturalized citizen versus a Permanente visa holder? Empty Re: Advantages of becoming a naturalized citizen versus a Permanente visa holder?

Post by slainte39 Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:04 pm

CanuckBob wrote:So other than being able to purchase property and hold the title in the restricted zones, what are the advantages of becoming a naturalized citizen versus a Permanente visa holder for someone that is retired?

And that advantage may soon change.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Advantages of becoming a naturalized citizen versus a Permanente visa holder? Empty Re: Advantages of becoming a naturalized citizen versus a Permanente visa holder?

Post by CHILLIN Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:04 pm

Becoming a citizen would show that you love, or at least respect this country enough to learn it's basic language and basic history. It also allows you either follow, or become involved with Mexican politics. If you are retired, it has been shown in many studies that the challenge of learning a new language and culture is actually beneficial to your brain.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:14 pm

After 60 you do not have to take a test so learning the history or the language is not an issue.
I know a couple of people who were brilliant, spoke many languages and came down with Alzheimer so I would not trust that theory either.

If you have to ask about the advantages of being a citizen in a country where you live, own and rent property maybe you are not ready for it.

Last edited by brigitte on Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:29 pm; edited 2 times in total

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:27 pm

I've wondered about that too,being able to call yourself a Mexican,travel on a Mexican passport,being able to vote or run for public office might be important to some people,to me the most important thing is never having to renew my papers for which permanente status suffices.My Mexican family and friends already consider me a "Mexicano de corazon" and that's good enough for me.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by sparks Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:01 pm

Are you going to feel more Mexican, relate closer to Mexicans, them to you ?? For most it would be a little badge that you might be able to mention to others on rare occasions .... unless you have a personality like Pedro
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The joke's on me

http://sparksmex.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:42 pm

I am a naturalized citizen and see these advantages. Being eligible without question to the IMSS or Seguro Popular. Being able to work. Being treated by the local authorities like one of them. After age 60 having a discount on your property taxes. Being able to be buried in a normal Mexican plot instead of an expat plot.

To me, voting and being able to own any property are small advantages.

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:55 pm

Osoprehistorico wrote: Being able to be buried in a normal Mexican plot instead of an expat plot.  

I hadn't heard that one before,are you sure about that?

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolly Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:19 pm

Being able to be buried in a normal Mexican plot instead of an expat plot.

Cemetery rules vary widely.
Rolly
Rolly
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Weird

http://rollybrook.com

Back to top Go down

Post by elbelgicano Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:30 pm

I would like to start by giving an example..... if I see somebody beating a child or a dog, I like to come between and express my opinion. The very likely reaction, is.... mind your own business, this is not your country. And with a big smile, on my face, I would love to say,.... this IS my country.
Right now, I feel like a 2nd class citizen and I hope to become a Mexican soon, so that I will fully deserve my nickname.... elbelgicano.

Rony
elbelgicano
elbelgicano
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : all kinds

http://chocochef.blogspot.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:34 pm

brigitte wrote:After 60 you do not have to take a test so learning the history or the language is not an issue.
I know a couple of people who were brilliant, spoke many languages and came down with Alzheimer so I would not trust that theory either.

If you have to ask about the advantages of being a citizen in a country where you  live, own and rent property maybe you are not ready for it.

How long did you and your husband stay here on residency visas before becoming naturalized citizens?

Last edited by CanuckBob on Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolly Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:08 pm

Brigitte, are you sure the language requirement is waived for us old folks? Could I bring a friend to translate for me at the interview?
Rolly
Rolly
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Weird

http://rollybrook.com

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:44 pm

Rolly I am not sure of anything but the test was the Spanish test as well .
I can tell you that some of the naturalized Mexicans I know can barely speak Spanish or understand it so the rules about the language have to be pretty relaxed.
If you apply for the Residencia reason,  it does not say in there that you have to speak Spanish,
If you can fill out the questionaire by yourself and I am assuming you can then there is not much conversation going on with the SRE unless something is needed or something is wrong.
If you tell them with the help of a friend that you need assistance because you cannot see well, cannot hear well and sometimes are missing some of the words I bet they will help you. I have heard them help people in Guadalajara so go to the SRE site read the requirements get all the papers with all the copies, nothing over 3 months old and you are in. The only thing is that you will have to go to DF in Coyoacan to get your federal police record unless you pay a lawyer who has connections to help you,
That part is frustrating and silly as it only takes an hour or less to get it but you have to fly to Mexico which is costly considering where you live.

Your friend could call them and see if you could have someone do it for you . I would think that a power of attorney would work but I do not know. All the other papers are simple once you have your apostilled birth certificate. The timing is everything, the minute you get the apostilled documents you need to go to Mexico or get someone to do it as it is only valid 3 months.
Good luck, go for it and let me know if I can help you.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Traveller Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:53 pm

Osoprehistorico wrote:Being able to work.

Temporale holders can work with a work permit.
I believe Permanentes are free to work without the need to apply for a work permit.
Traveller
Traveller
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:55 pm

Rony, you get it but it seems that many people do not . Rules regarding foreign residents can be changed at the drop of a hat  , it is all depending on politics and that is true in all countries.

I lived in the States as a foreigners for many years and saw many changes in the rules especially recently, same thing can happen in Mexico  and to some extent did, why take a chance? Permanent resident  of any country is as valid as the politicians want to make it, become a citizen and you do not have to even think about it.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MyHomeSweetHome Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:17 pm

Permanente make notification if there is change in work or address.

MyHomeSweetHome
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:32 pm

yes all these rules can come and go.
By the way even being a naturalized citizen does not totally protect you, you can lose your citizenship for being away from Mexico for more than 5 years....

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by arbon Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:33 pm

bubba wrote:Rolly I am not sure of anything but the test was the Spanish test as well .
I can tell you that some of the naturalized Mexicans I know can barely speak Spanish or understand it so the rules about the language have to be pretty relaxed.
If you apply for the Residencia reason,  it does not say in there that you have to speak Spanish,
If you can fill out the questionaire by yourself and I am assuming you can then there is not much conversation going on with the SRE unless something is needed or something is wrong.
If you tell them with the help of a friend that you need assistance because you cannot see well, cannot hear well and sometimes are missing some of the words I bet they will help you. I have heard them help people in Guadalajara so go to the SRE site read the requirements get all the papers with all the copies, nothing over 3 months old and you are in. The only thing is that you will have to go to DF in Coyoacan to get your federal police record unless you pay a lawyer who has connections to help you,
That part is frustrating and silly as it only takes an hour or less to get it but you have to fly to Mexico which is costly considering where you live.

Your friend could call them and see if you could have someone do it for you . I would think that a power of attorney would work but I do not know. All the other papers are simple once you have your apostilled birth certificate. The timing is everything, the minute you get the apostilled documents you need to go to Mexico or get someone to do it as it is only valid 3 months.

¿Bubba, how long did it take you before you knew you were ready to become a Mexican?

8 years or more Eh Advantages of becoming a naturalized citizen versus a Permanente visa holder? 87465 
arbon
arbon
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Humour

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:53 pm

brigitte wrote:Rolly I am not sure of anything but the test was the Spanish test as well .

Here is my $.02 pesos

Citizens do not have to do notifications (change of residence, activity or marital status) and may own property in the restricted zone (50 km from the beach and 100km from the border) without using a land trust. They may also vote and do certain work activities restricted to citizens as well as not have to do reports to Sec. of Economy for majority ownership in corporations doing specified activities.
Permanente holders may have their permanente canceled if they enter or exit Mexico and the immigration person screws up, this has happened and they always blame the foreigner.

SRE will not allow you to have someone do the application for you with a power of attorney, we have already asked.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:26 pm

Spencer, How does a permanente get cancelled entering or exiting Mexico?
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:51 pm

Spencer the power of attorney I was referring to was to get your police record from the Federal police in DF Do you know if that will be accepted for someone like Rolly who lives so far ?.
Yes you have to show up at the SRE in person.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:20 pm

You get your permanente canceled if you enter or exit as a tourist, i.e. fill the form out wrong or someone does it wrong for you. UNLESS you want to cancel your permanent to be temporary to have your foreign plated car then they run you in circles.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:03 pm

viajero wrote:
Osoprehistorico wrote: Being able to be buried in a normal Mexican plot instead of an expat plot.  

I hadn't heard that one before,are you sure about that?

That is my understanding. For instance in the Chapala cemetery there is a lower graveyard to the West of the main plot which was told to me to be the location for non-citizens. I have not researched it but that was the answer I got from a Mexican friend when I asked.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:07 pm

brigitte wrote:After 60 you do not have to take a test so learning the history or the language is not an issue.

If you have to ask about the advantages of being a citizen in a country where you  live, own and rent property maybe you are not ready for it.

are you sure? I was over 60 when I went through the process and needed to take the test in Spanish. Perhaps things have changed since 2007.

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:11 am

Not sure it is true anymore. In Oaxaca my over 60 friend had to do both Spanish and History test.  Maybe local thing???? She says she had to know the
middle name of the governor of Baja California and failed the first time. She felt like it was get even time a little bit. How many people here know the
middle name of the governor of Baja????

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next