INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blood donation needed for elderly lakeside expat - type 0-negative

+5
CanuckBob
simpsca
Jim W
oncesubtle
57Chevy
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Blood donation needed for elderly lakeside expat - type 0-negative - Page 2 Empty Re: Blood donation needed for elderly lakeside expat - type 0-negative

Post by 57Chevy Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:44 pm

Yes Simpsca I was MIA, but only because I was travelling for work and swamped with an annual audit, and did not check my personal email or this web board for a few days. I am sorry. I was not aware of the history of the blood donor process lakeside. Now I am aware and educated, and I thank you all for your patience and teaching. If this comes up again, I will know that there are heroes out there that will put the word out and make efforts, and that I need to keep checking the web board. Thanks again.

57Chevy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Blood donation needed for elderly lakeside expat - type 0-negative - Page 2 Empty Re: Blood donation needed for elderly lakeside expat - type 0-negative

Post by 57Chevy Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:45 pm

If your friends Father is still in need....please pm CBob....ask him to repost a sticky......until you receive required units Very Happy [/quote] from Jim W.

Jim, I will send him an email to ask what is going on, and get back to CBob. I am not sure what a sticky is...but I think that means that the post stays put for awhile??? ie. is "sticky"?
57Chevy
57Chevy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by 57Chevy Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:10 pm

I sent email and a FB message to my friend who's father is ill. He said he would call the donor that Jim found. I asked him if he thinks there is an on-going need, but have not heard back. I know he is busy taking care of his dad. I also referred him to this web board and urged him to communicate directly on the web board. I was trying to help out, as were others of his friends, because he was busy taking care of his dad.
57Chevy
57Chevy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:26 pm

simpsca wrote:Yes, Jim is a hero - has helped with many who needed blood donations. And with our aging population it is difficult to find donors but he always does. The enforced cut off age in Mexico is 60 and most of us are over that. But Jim manages to find them.

And PS Chevy 57 I did think you were somehow MIA when you didn't respond. Many of us do help each other here.
Smokealot

Smokealot

Simpsca, I really don't deserve kudos...I know mispelled again, LOL, Anyway, maybe we can come up with a sticky, Outlining process to locate and secure donors for people in our age group, that can't donate and are in need. Most of us, fortunately haven't experienced need. From my experience, Cruz Rojo is a good place to start....but then again they have a handful of qualified donors. Over the past 5 years, I found, my domestic help best resource...word of mouth, offering 50-100 pesos to domestic help per qualified donor. Giving donor 250-500 pesos donation. Finally posting same @ Universities. If everyone in need contacts their neighbor...offers same to domestic help....problem may be solved Very Happy Last but, not least...none of us know...when we have the need

Anyway Simpsca, our aging community will grow.....as will our need......Just a thought....look forward to your input, as well as others.

Jim W

Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:01 pm

Shocked I don't even know what my blood type is!!
don't ever remember having it tested...
how should a fella go about doin that?
years ago I asked my physician... don't think he knew either...
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by 57Chevy Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:08 pm

Jim - your idea is a very good one. To have a posting site here to educate people. I mean,look what just happened with ME!! I didn't know what was going on because of lack of experience. I think it is important to educate people and let them know there are folks who will help, and what are the tips to searching for donors ---everything you said. You could be the guru. And I do think you are a hero, as Simpsca said, because getting blood can be life saving. It is my understanding that if you start to bleed from an injury- internal or external - you can die within 30-45 minutes if they don't stop the bleeding and replace the blood. You can lose LITERS of blood very quickly. I like Jim's idea.
57Chevy
57Chevy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by 57Chevy Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:08 pm

hockables...I think you can request a blood test to get your blood type. It would be a lab order from your clinic doctor.
57Chevy
57Chevy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:15 pm

Great idea Jim. I'll think about a write up about getting blood. Because I have insurance in Mexico it was not an issue when I had major surgery. I took a friend along to the hospital for pretesting and said he could donate a pint. He was 64 and they took one look at him and said "He's too old". But not to worry they would blood type me right then and have it on hand if I needed it during surgery. Now I'm 64 and they won't take my blood. They say the cut off is 65 but 60 is what they are enforcing. I think it makes a difference if you have insurance or not.

I'll see if friends from Guadalaara can get me a phone or contact number at a university - but I think lakesiders will not know how to do that - post on a university bulletin board. It will probably have to be a doctor and one in Guadalajara. I'll see if my friends know how to go about it when I see them at Thanksgiving. My friend is married to a Mexican woman and she has 4 brothers all with children so that is how he got his blood for his open heart surgery.

The IMSS for sure will not give you any blood no matter how serious your condition is unless you have the donors sitting right there.

Hockbles, any blood lab lakeside can give you your blood type - small fee - no Dr. order required. Just walk in and ask them to do your blood type and they will print it out for you. It is required to have it to get a Mexican drivers license. And I needed it to get my DIF card (senior discount card).
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by 57Chevy Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:54 pm

If this became an organized network, maybe there is a contact in the city of Guad -gringo or mexican- who could help with postings at the University. Someone reliable. Maybe the Lake Chapala Society could help get something formal organized so there is a network there? They have alot of doctor contacts, don't they?
I think Simpsca and Jim are right....this could become a larger need as the current population ages, and the baby boomers start retiring there in larger numbers.
57Chevy
57Chevy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:37 pm

Here are a couple of articles from INFORMADOR that provide some information as to why blood donations are such an issue:
http://www.informador.com.mx/primera/2011/335684/6/solo-1-dona-sangre-por-desinteres.htm
http://www.informador.com.mx/jalisco/2011/335701/6/sin-certificacion-de-calidad-95-de-los-bancos-de-sangre-en-jalisco.htm

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:50 pm

57Chevy wrote:If this became an organized network, maybe there is a contact in the city of Guad -gringo or mexican- who could help with postings at the University. Someone reliable. Maybe the Lake Chapala Society could help get something formal organized so there is a network there? They have alot of doctor contacts, don't they?
I think Simpsca and Jim are right....this could become a larger need as the current population ages, and the baby boomers start retiring there in larger numbers.

57 I tried to do multi quote..failed..CG is great at sending treads/comments....never being part of solution. I believe pro active is better, and working "Outside" the box, is priceless! LOL

I am meeting with Cruz Rojo, upon my return, to set up method of communication, re: blood need, which will be posted at Universities, and will include patient name, MD number, type required, and this will be a longggg term issue...but this is agood starting point. %The post for need IMO.....is on need.....not blanket, and must be managed and accepted by MD

Last edited by Jim W on Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : no edit)
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:50 am

What Lakeside needs is for folks after we figure out how to make Red Cross
solvent is to start the work on a blood bank and maybe ask the blood donor
age limit be raised.

By the way please give to red cross anyway you can. We literally are begging
money and paying it out the same day. Things are a little better than they
were but still we are in big touble.

End of commercial

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Blood donation needed for elderly lakeside expat - type 0-negative - Page 2 Empty YOUR post was not informative

Post by Jim W Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:07 am

CheenaGringo wrote:Here are a couple of articles from INFORMADOR that provide some information as to why blood donations are such an issue:
http://www.informador.com.mx/primera/2011/335684/6/solo-1-dona-sangre-por-desinteres.htm
http://www.informador.com.mx/jalisco/2011/335701/6/sin-certificacion-de-calidad-95-de-los-bancos-de-sangre-en-jalisco.htm

Dead Horse Your post provides no solution to problem....I work to find solutions.....any idiot can search google.....get a life....or be proactive......You crack me up....your worthless responses...are offensive razberry
Please CG....give positive input to solve the issue of blood donation,,,,,I have posted mine...you cheap shot......bring it on! razberry
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:44 am

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:30 pm

This has NOTHING WHAT SO EVER to do with blood donations, and Cruz Rojo.

Hopefully this will get split and the good ideas will stay and the rest go to the Octagon...
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by 57Chevy Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:34 am

Jim, your idea of working with Cruz Roja for a system of listing blood donor needs as they arrive in Guad at the university is a very good one. I would think the patient's doctor would be happy to cooperate. A blood bank is another good idea if there were money to keep the storage facility operating and blood stored safely. Who would be the gopher to do a listing in Guad? Or would Cruz Roja or a resident be able to have a contact at the university student union or the university newspaper? Then just a phone call to that person or persons would result in a posting/ad.
57Chevy
57Chevy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:14 am

Some who might have some good ideas to add, posts on TOB maybe someone could contact him.

elbelgicano, is his user name and here a couple of other ways to contact him...
He also has an employment place that find Mexicans work locally and I am sure some are younger..

http://chocochef.blogspot.com/
http://vivachapala.blogspot.com/

I don't have his employment website ...

Last edited by espíritu del lago on Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correction..)
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:17 am

Jim, I did get your pm..no prob..I totally understand the situation.
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by 57Chevy Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:45 am

JIM: Had another idea...a registry. This would be a list of people who are willing to donate blood when called, their name, blood type, and contact information. This would have to be maintained by a central person, and then the sick person could contact the registry when there is a need. Maybe Bob would be willing to house the registry here on the web board? And, maybe you already have one going?
57Chevy
57Chevy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:47 pm

I could certainly accommodate a registry of sorts here on the board. I will have more time for something like that when I arrive back FT in March.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:13 pm

Bob, as far as registry goes....Cruz Rojo has a current list of qualified donnors.
I previously suggested, that when you, family, or friend are in need.....communicate with housekeeper, pool guy, yardcare. We offered maid 50 pesos for every qualified donor, and paid 250 pesos to each donor used. Lined up 10 donors....5 were used.

Our board should "sticky" The name and telephone number of MD, and patient name, so all can be coordinated, and transportation can be provided to volunteers.

I am hopeful we can creat a link, between Cruz Rojo and local Universities...posting same. Very Happy

Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:23 pm

57Chevy wrote:JIM: Had another idea...a registry. This would be a list of people who are willing to donate blood when called, their name, blood type, and contact information. This would have to be maintained by a central person, and then the sick person could contact the registry when there is a need. Maybe Bob would be willing to house the registry here on the web board? And, maybe you already have one going?

Bob said he would, but with so few qualified members, that are young enough, and don't take meds, our pool isn't very large. I asked my bilingual neighbor to assist. We have an appointment for Tuesday, with The local Cruz Rojo President and Director, neither speak English. I am hopeful, that we set up a link with them locally. The Dr. can communicate with them directly, and Cruz Rojo can post @ the Universities. On the flip side the recipient would donate 500 pesos per unit received, thinking that Cruz Rojo could then coordinate/compensate donors. I think Cruz Rojo likes the idea of additional revenue.... Very Happy Plus they are in a better position to maintain a larger pool.

I remember when Tony was sitting @ IMSS Hospital, and we were all scrambling for donors, and decided to get proactive on the issue. If we can get Cruz Rojo on board, plus work our domestic helper base....none of us find ourselves in the predicament Tony, and many others have been. Anyone that has more suggestions, please post or pm, prior to Monday night.

Thanks a bunch Beer Very Happy Beer
Jim W
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:11 pm

Solo....You seem to have opinions on every post, you and CG...why no contribution. OPPS Sorry Solo.. forgot to pull

Very Happy cork out of the bottle
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:59 pm

I met with Cruz Roja today....they have approx. 15 donors lined up...really sad for expats....check out my post under medical....It lines out donors.....unless you need A positive.....you are in trouble. I asked that cruz roja accept 1000 pesos, and compensate donor....they said no...as they don't want compensation responsibility...pointed out they would make 500 pesos per unit.Requested for Cruz Roja
post on the universities web for donation...for people in need.....suggested 1000 pesos per unit....Cruz Roja said no as they were concerned about payment from recipient. I said we could get donors money for donation.

Anyway this is the drill....Me kinda done...any one with ideas would be appreciated....Just trying to help....I am double type A...blood and personality ,

LMAO....Jim W
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2