INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How fragile our life and balance is!

+6
kipissippi
simpsca
Lady Otter Latté
Ms.Thang
elehne1
Jim W
10 posters

Go down

How fragile our life and balance is! Empty How fragile our life and balance is!

Post by Jim W Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:16 pm

Just want to share last nights experience, and encourage everyone to check their knowledge of simple life saving techniques! Last night Deb and I were sharing a nice dinner. I left the room for maybe 1 minute, sat down and saw the fear in her eyes, she was choking, not visibly, but, in distress. I grabbed her and did the Heimlich, nearly breaking ribs I am sure. She is sore today, but, I could have lost the love of my life in a fleeting moment! I can't imagine how nuts I would be if it took me 5 minutes to return.

I've decided to get current on the simple lifesaving things we can do at any age, and am hopeful you will too! Off my soap box now, sharing is caring my friends!Very Happy 
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

How fragile our life and balance is! Empty Re: How fragile our life and balance is!

Post by elehne1 Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:27 pm

Thank you for the reminder and good to hear all is well.

elehne1
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

How fragile our life and balance is! Empty Re: How fragile our life and balance is!

Post by Ms.Thang Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:09 pm

Way to keep your s*** together Jim! Some people would just freak out and not know what to do. I'm so glad the love of your life is still with you today.

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:05 pm

Thank You, no kudos for me, just hope everyone takes a minute to consider what they might do.......in a lifesaving issue....for me a no brainer....no brains got lucky!
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:20 pm

Thank you, Jim, for sharing your experience. I am glad the story ended well.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:32 pm

Jim you are a hero!
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:25 pm

Kudos Jimmy!! Live long and prosper.... make that love long and prosper. Sometimes all it takes is a moment to change your life forever. You never know how precious life..and love are... until almost too late.

Big cyber hug,

Auntie Kippy
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : goofy

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:22 pm

Jim, a friend told me that when she had the Heimlich performed on her, several days later she found out she had a collapsed lung from the procedure. Maybe get Deb checked out? If she is sore could be a cracked rib. It's not that hard to do. A friend who slipped ended up with a fractured rib and collapsed lung.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:25 pm

Yeah it's the chance you take with the Heimlich... but the alternative of not using it...
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : goofy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:43 pm

This should be a great opportunity for LCS to step in and promote themselves. Why don't they offer classes on lifesaving techniques? CPR has changed as well! Quarterly classes?

Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by borderreiver Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:51 pm

Congrats Jim. Done properly, the Heimlich manoeuvre should not result in broken ribs since the ribs involved are floaters. That being said, as we age there's the chance our bones are more brittle.. As for CPR. the latest BC protocol is simple. Call the ambulance. Start chest compressions and don't stop, that's DON'T STOP. If you have an assistant who can apply a couple of breaths now and then, fine, whatever. My wife performed this in a local park 2 wks. ago. The responding ambulance team remarked - "You saved her life." I have my BC Occupational 1st Aid Certificate. AED's (automatic external defibrulators) have come down in price. They are small, portable, and easy to use. If you feel at risk of a "jammer" they are cheap insurance.
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : humor is spelt incorrectly

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:09 am

Jim the same thing happened to my wife a few years ago. I made her laugh while eating something gooey and she choked and I had to Heimlich her. I know how you felt. Luckily no damage to her ribs or lungs.

SCCCCaaaarrrryyyy my friend

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:21 am

I didn't mean to say don't do the Heimlich because you might break some ribs. You should absolutely try to save someone's life. Just get checked out by a doctor if your ribs hurt or you are short of breath. This happened to someone I know - broken rib, collapsed lung. Deb must be OK because I hear she is golfing.

And Jim W is right, why isn't LCS offering these classes. I would give it a try if I saw someone in distress but don't really know how to do it. And I've heard that CPR has changed also.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:33 am

Not a bad idea, considering. I know back home these things can only be taught be licensed personnel, though.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:35 am

Seriously folks it takes five minutes to teach this simple life saving method. Yes you might crack a rib or whatever but who cares when a person is choking and cannot clear themselves. Yes it is very scary as Jim or I can tell you to do this procedure to ones wife or husband but it worked and both our spouses are alive.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by barbicheesecake Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:42 am

Jim, my mantra has always been "live for today because tomorrow is promised to no one". A few years ago when I was working at the bank one of our loan officers collapsed. I was ready to do CPR but luckily the paramedics arrived and whisked him off to the hospital. That day he had a pacemaker installed. He later told me he woke up and wondered why I was holding him!
barbicheesecake
barbicheesecake
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : I shoulda been a comedian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down