INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An American citizen living in the Guadalajara airport

+18
gvprod
CanuckBob
manymoonsago
Pedro
sundown
hwilliams
CheenaGringo
kipissippi
slainte39
Luisa
simpsca
Lady Otter Latté
joyfull
Rosa Venus
hkrause
Mad_Max
MexicoPete
Ms.Thang
22 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

An American citizen living in the Guadalajara airport - Page 2 Empty Re: An American citizen living in the Guadalajara airport

Post by Luisa Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:10 pm

simpsca wrote:Looks like the Mexican relatives don't want her and she doesn't want to go back to the US.   I guess only the consulate has the authority to contact relatives in the US and see that she is put on a plane back home and that there is someone to receive her.  How sad to be just dropped of by an uncle at the airport.  When my relatives fly home I take them to baggage check in and departure gate. And wait to hear that they safely arrived home.
You can't accompany a passenger to the departure gate. It sounds to me like her family has done what they can--giving her multiple tickets. At the end of the day she is an adult who should either be institutionalized or take care of herself.

Luisa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

An American citizen living in the Guadalajara airport - Page 2 Empty Re: An American citizen living in the Guadalajara airport

Post by slainte39 Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:21 pm

It sounds like she came alone, so is somewhat capable.
Defintely now, disfunctional.
A real head shaking situation...that needs governmental or legal assistance, because of the international characteristics.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:33 pm

Maybe the most that can be done for her right now would be to stop and offer her some kindness and conversation. Everyone in that part of the airport is always in a hurry and no one stops to talk to strangers, especially someone who looks like they might not be in their right mind. She must be feeling terribly isolated by now.

The article says that she arrived with three large bags and one smaller bag. Airlines allow one checked bag and limit the bags that you can pay extra to check on international flights. Maybe that played a part in why she didn't go?

The consulate can help with repatriation loans for travel and food but only if she has a verifiable destination and only if she wants to go.

The best thing that could happen would be if family members in the U.S. could be located and convince her that her uncles are not coming back for her. As things are now she is in a high risk situation that is only going to get worse .
It's possible that she was in a better mental state when she arrived if she was taking medication, those types of psychiatric medications typically take a few weeks to start working and about the same amount of time to cease to have affect when the medication is stopped.

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:12 pm

What if her family doesn't know she didn't get on the plane?
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : goofy

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:44 pm

You would think the Mexican family and the US family would be in communication about her, especially since she has problems.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:01 pm

You'd think so... but I'd sure be looking for her family there to at least get an idea of what's going on.
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:55 pm

With all the "nutcases" and "misfits" living along the shores of Lake Chapala, why expend this much energy trying to deal with just one at the Guadalajara Airport? Easier to concentrate on just one person?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:20 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:With all the "nutcases" and "misfits" living along the shores of Lake Chapala, why expend this much energy trying to deal with just one at the Guadalajara Airport?  Easier to concentrate on just one person?
Classy.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:09 pm

Compassion and empathy kneel.... something you seem to lack? Your "old days" are showing again...
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hwilliams Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:06 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:With all the "nutcases" and "misfits" living along the shores of Lake Chapala, why expend this much energy trying to deal with just one at the Guadalajara Airport?  Easier to concentrate on just one person?
There's more attention drawn to the donor when the benefactor is on the front page.

hwilliams

Back to top Go down

Post by sundown Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:25 am

Somebody is trying to make people that are compassionate, feel bad for doing so !

sundown
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:29 am

Attention to the donor? Benefactor on the front page? Did I miss something?
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hwilliams Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:51 pm

kipissippi wrote:Attention to the donor?  Benefactor on the front page?  Did I miss something?  
Obviously.

hwilliams

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:59 pm

Actually... I really don't give a rip if the benefactor gets a Nobel Prize... if the person is helped.
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:12 pm

hwilliams wrote:
There's more attention drawn to the donor when the benefactor is on the front page.
True, but doing something right for the wrong reason is not always bad...the bottom line is what is important.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:16 pm

kipissippi wrote:Attention to the donor?  Benefactor on the front page?  Did I miss something?  
Yes, Kippy...."no good deed goes unpunished"

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joyfull Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:11 pm

Am at GDL and found Brenda. She does not want me to buy her food and will not take any money. She says she spoke to her cousin earlier. She won't give too much info. I am buying her a meal at Burger King and will bring it to her and try to get her to take 500p. I am not sure how much more I can do. She gave me what she says is her grandfathers phone number and that he only speaks Spanish. If someone who is bilingual wants to call him please do. I don't speak
Enough to make any sense. The number she gave me is
3635 3406
The lady at the Information booth says she hangs out near international arrivals or the restroom.
I really don't know what to do as she doesn't want any help. She is waiting for her Uncles.
joyfull
joyfull
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Lovingly sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:25 pm

looks like a guadalajara # and is probably 33 3635 3406
from here you need 01 in front of that.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:48 pm

I too shall be at the airport. I'm leaving Tuesday. I will post Wednesday from up north reporting whether I ran across her or not. And if I do, I can phone the number she provides immediately on my cell phone. And on my cell I would simply add the two digit lada of 33 and dial the number she gave. (the same # as Pedro suggested)
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joyfull Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:18 pm

After getting her a meal at BK I went back to talk to her as I waited for my husband to arrive. We talked some more and I asked her a lot of questions. She basically said the same thing the newspaper said. She is from L.A., her mother is there and is sick, her father is also in L.A. working and only speaks Spanish. While talking to her there was a young man sitting behind her. Ends up he is bilingual and called the number and spoke to either an Uncle or cousin. They are angry with her because she was to go back to L.A. Evidently when she came here she stayed with her grandparents and they took her to the Uncles.

She talks in pretty much a monotone, understands she has been there going on 3 weeks and does not want to go back to L.A. The young man who spoke to her Uncle said her parents want her to come back to L.A. As her mother is having surgery. She does not want to go. I told her that the police or someone from the Mexican government would probably not allow her to stay in the airport indefinitely. She said she is a 36 yr old American woman and they couldn't make her leave.

I asked her about her luggage. She said she threw it out as it was getting too heavy to carry around. I put 500p in her jacket pocket and as I was saying goodby I told her it was there.

The woman at the information counter said one of the TV stations was there filming her earlier.

I feel bad, but there was no more I could do. This will be bothering me for a long time. ;(
joyfull
joyfull
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:24 pm

Yikes, not good. You made a good effort though, Joyfull.

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hkrause Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:31 pm

Joyfull, what a kind and caring thing for you to look in on her, try to help, and update everybody on what you found out. No need to feel bad... there's only so much one can do for a person if they don't want help. I hope there's a positive outcome eventually since apparently the local news is on the story now. Sounds like some folks at the airport are keeping tabs on her, at least.

Heather
hkrause
hkrause
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:39 pm

What a strange thing to say..everyone who needs help is just one person

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:55 pm

Joyfull, you were kind and compassionate and did the best you could. That is all you can do. People know she is there and are watching out for her as you did. However this plays out, I think it will be the adventure of her life. She has taken charge of her life in perhaps the only way she can. She is safe there and for that we can be grateful.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by manymoonsago Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:53 pm

When, for whatever reason, an impaired person refuses the kind of help being proffered and there are no legal grounds for intervening, one has to just wait it out long enough for the scales to tip one direction or another. On one side of the coin: She seems to be eating and taking in hydration, whether on her own or through the kindness of strangers. Our climate is temperate so she is not at risk of hypothermia nor heatstroke. If nothing else happens, her tourist visa will expire and that may finally open the door for intervention. On the other side: If she goes without sufficient sleep and decent nutrition, the apparent mental issues are likely to worsen. Though it may sound awful that her relatives here have not come forward, it may well be that they were exhausted by her behavior during her visit and cannot cope with the idea that she might be returned to their home.

Ii would be helpful if someone can find out how long she has been here in Mexico visiting her relatives. And, is she a US citizen by birth or by naturalization after birth in Mexico?
manymoonsago
manymoonsago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Ironic; Over the Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by joyfull Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:18 am

If anyone goes to GDL you may want to check on Brenda. When I saw her last night she was sitting in the chairs in front of the taxi counter. I understand she is usually around there or the ladies room. She was so adamant about not wanting food or money I can't believe anyone would be feeding her. I just got her a meal and said "it's for later" she thanked me and that was that. I did not see her eat or drink any of it.

Pete...plz check on her today if you can.
joyfull
joyfull
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next