INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any reason for carrying INM card? (Driving Jalisco plated car.)

+8
ComputerGuy
Hensley
slainte39
CheenaGringo
Rosa Venus
sparks
David
Explorador
12 posters

Go down

Any reason for carrying INM card? (Driving Jalisco plated car.) Empty Any reason for carrying INM card? (Driving Jalisco plated car.)

Post by Explorador Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:55 pm

If I'm driving a Jalisco plated car and carrying my driver's license etc. for the car, is there any need to carry the INM card as we used to when driving a TIP car?

Explorador

Back to top Go down

Any reason for carrying INM card? (Driving Jalisco plated car.) Empty Re: Any reason for carrying INM card? (Driving Jalisco plated car.)

Post by David Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:29 pm

Only to be legal.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Any reason for carrying INM card? (Driving Jalisco plated car.) Empty Re: Any reason for carrying INM card? (Driving Jalisco plated car.)

Post by sparks Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:52 pm

Even a Mexican drivers licence is not proof of Nationality .... and someone may want to know
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The joke's on me

http://sparksmex.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by Explorador Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:41 pm

Of course I would have it at the airport or when crossing the border, but I can't otherwise imagine who would need proof of my nationality. (Or why I would need it "Only to be legal." ;) ). Do Mexicans carry proof of nationality in Mexico, any more than I carry it in my home country? Why risk losing it while out and about?

Explorador

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:06 pm

Mexicans are citizens. You're not. You're in Mexico with the permission, and at the discretion, of the Mexican government. You're expected to be able to demonstrate that you're legally in the country. That's why you're supposed to carry it, even though it's likely you'll never be asked for it.

Interestingly, I just looked at my shiny new Resident Permanente card and nowhere on the card itself does it say that I must carry it with me at all times. The citizenship status is also an interesting question. I wonder if naturalized citizens of Mexico are expected to carry something?

Whatever. No big deal.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:15 pm

Why would you not carry the proper documents?

True scenario: being from NM if I choose to drive in Arizona - I can be asked my place of birth if pulled over by the police.  Since NM will license illegals or non-citizens, I am immediately suspect if I provide an honest answer if I say Shanghai, China for my birthplace.  If I am not carrying my US Passport that provides proof that I am a US Citizen, theoretically I can be dragged off to jail.  

I would greatly love that to happen because the State of Arizona would be paying me big time for the rest of my life and we would be able to travel in the style we would like to become accustomed to for the rest of our lives!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:09 am

Explorador wrote:Of course I would have it at the airport or when crossing the border, but I can't otherwise imagine who would need proof of my nationality. (Or why I would need it "Only to be legal." ;) ). Do Mexicans carry proof of nationality in Mexico, any more than I carry it in my home country? Why risk losing it while out and about?

I always carry my IFE card...for many reasons.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hensley Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:38 am

I will not carry mine and I have never been asked for it when pulled over.
Hensley
Hensley
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:57 am

I believe Transito is not allowed to ask for it.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:57 am

I believe Transito is not allowed to ask for it.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Explorador Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:01 am

(So for those curious, the IFE card is for voting. Right?)

I'm not convinced by any of the above posters, as we never used to carry our FM3 booklets back in the day, only a certified copy, and only in the car.

However, I just spoke to my gardener. He says he always carries his IMMS card for identification, especially in Guad. He's been tapped maybe three times by authorities checking ID. He says the problem for him is that many illegal immigrants are passing through Guad, from Guatemala and such, and people are on the lookout for them. He thinks I should carry mine too.

On the other hand, I just looked at the INM form we (and visitors) use at the airport. It only says to keep the receipt portion of the form and turn it in at the point of exit. It doesn't say anything about keeping it with you at all times.

Explorador

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:01 am

Explorador wrote:(So for those curious, the IFE card is for voting. Right?)

Yeah, but that is only every 3 or 6 years.
It's official ID for almost anything, including bank withdrawals, check cashing, legal ID in courts, driver's license, etc., etc....
and citizenship if you look too Irish to be Mexican.  lol!

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:06 am

I have better reactions from transitos when I show my INM card. And since it's an ID card, I don't mind at all.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:34 pm

federales have the authority to ask you for it.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Explorador Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:34 pm

How does one know that Pedro? I thought we heard that (the Federales had the authority to look at your immigration papers) only with respect to helping Aduana and the Temporary Import Permit thing.

Explorador

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:45 pm

I was doing my 3 mile stretch yesterday, realized I had zero/nada ID on me...thought if weird stepped in and I got hurt.......they'd a spent a month ID'n me....I now carry my INM ID....size of a drivers license......Kind of a petty bullshit issue if ya askin me........Tooooo each his own, I don't want to die as the "UNKNOWN GRINGO" LMFAO
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:59 pm

Explorador wrote:How does one know that Pedro? I thought we heard that (the Federales had the authority to look at your immigration papers) only with respect to helping Aduana and the Temporary Import Permit thing.
nope. you have to produce it if asked by a federale and it has nothing to do aduana nor tip. they are the national police and have more power than any other police. it's like if you got stopped by the rcmp in canada and asked to produce your drivers license and failing that your papers or arizona police who like to profile.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sundown Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:12 pm

Soungs like a Spencer issue

sundown
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:29 pm

One must balance and high cost of replacement if lost of carrying their original immigration card with the option of carrying a certified copy. The new INM head was in law enforcement and is conducting operations. I was behind 2 new INM police trucks a month ago and we will see increased immigration enforcement, something we have not seen here lately.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by Explorador Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:09 am

Thanks Spencer. So it sounds like: 1) Yes, one should always carry either the original or a certified copy, and 2) It's totally independent from the TIP issue.

I did not know that :).

Explorador

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:35 am

Are only notarios authorized to make certified copies, and if so, what can someone expect to pay for a certified copy of their immigration card/document?
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:55 am

Only notarios and best going price is 50 to 60 pesos per page or document.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:14 am

under spencer's advice i used the notario across from the coffee tree in chapala.for the visa card and car and moto registration[alberta] as well as the import document for vehicles.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:47 pm

Thanks Spencer and pedro. I asked because I was stunned by how much a local notario charged me to notarize a 3-page document last month. (Yes, I understand notarization is different, but still the price was a shock.)
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:51 pm

There is a difference with using a notary´s services, making a certified copy of a document runs 50 to 60 pesos per page, verifying your signature runs 500 pesos more or less per page.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down