INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We have done it

+16
David
lapurafelicidad
juanrey
mrum
arbon
little italy
viajero
zenwoodle
Lady Otter Latté
johninajijic
Pedro
papa chango
Jim W
CanuckBob
Intercasa
newinajijic
20 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

We have done it - Page 4 Empty Re: We have done it

Post by Lady Otter Latté Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:32 pm

Viajero: my abject apologies! Of course it was lapuramadoodle or whatever he is calling himself in this incarnation. Sorry.

Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:51 pm

David wrote: The FM2 was the track to permanent residence.  If one was to renew perpetually then the FM3 was the choice since it cost about half that of the FM2.
For the party delving into the history of immigration.....

Not quite correct. A Canadian friend who has been here 37 years, just reminded me that for many years, if you had a continually renewed FM2, and owned a Mexican vehicle, you were exempt from the annual tenencia. If the vehicle was new, that could amount to 5,6, 7,000 pesos.
Once you became inmigrado, that disappeared like an ice cube in the sun on a hot May day.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:59 pm

I may be dumb but I'm slow: I just figured out who "Lapura" is. Duh.

LET'S NOT FEED THIS TROLL ANY LONGER!
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:11 pm

Okay, David. No more playing with the troll. I promise. Besides, it is only fun for a little while. Then it gets boring. Then he gets crazier. Than he gets banned again.
Sleep 
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:14 pm

lapurafelicidad wrote:Slainte, where did you reside in Mexico prior to these last 32 years at Lake Chapala? Are you a descendant of the Saint Patrick Battalion?
Zamora, Mich, Manzanlllo, Col, San Miguel de Allende, Gto, Puerto Vallarta, Jal
But what does that have to do with your "topic" of immigration?

Second question....No, but I am the descendant of horse thieves (from the British of course) around east County Clare.
Would have been proud to have been a descendant of the "sword and the shamrock".

Don't ask me how much money I got in the bank.  Rolling Eyes....I'm too cranky.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:19 pm

Lady Otter Latté wrote:"Get a car with a Mexican "acta de nacimiento."" slainte

Yes, right. Sell my car for less than it is worth. Then spend more money to buy a used car that may or may not be as good as the car I already have. Sounds like a plan.
Lady, I did say that was an egregious "joke"....it was worse than that....it was a "double egregious" idea.
Forgive me as I'm sitting in the corner.  Very Happy

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:24 pm

Okay. You are forgiven and may remove yourself from the corner. The car is a sensitive subject right now.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:31 pm

David wrote:I may be dumb but I'm slow:  I just figured out who "Lapura" is.  Duh.  

I'll sign up too, as I'm afraid of what he is going ask me next.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:36 pm

flag waver 
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by lapurafelicidad Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:19 pm

slainte39 wrote:
lapurafelicidad wrote:Slainte, where did you reside in Mexico prior to these last 32 years at Lake Chapala? Are you a descendant of the Saint Patrick Battalion?

Only out of curiosity. I haven't completely decided if the lake area is my cup of tea. Before I buy property and go permanent I plan to spend time in other areas. I want to check out Chiapas and Queretero for starters and I have always enjoyed my visits to Mexico City. Maybe some place near there that would loan itself to making frequent trips to the city.

lapurafelicidad

Back to top Go down

Post by Smartalex Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:32 pm

Historical note: There are no descendents of the Saint Patrick Battalion.
Smartalex
Smartalex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by lapurafelicidad Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:41 pm

David wrote:I may be dumb but I'm slow:  I just figured out who "Lapura" is.  Duh.  

What exactly are you saying? I have offended no one. I have attacked no one. Nothing I have done on this board has merited the reaction of you and other posters. I asked some legitimate questions concerning immigration and I am being accused of being a troll. You don't know me. And after your response I am more than happy to never make your acquaintance. Maybe you really are hallucinating as the other poster proposed.

lapurafelicidad

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:43 pm

Sleep 
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:28 am

Smartalex wrote:Historical note: There are no descendents of the Saint Patrick Battalion.
I think Al you should say..." no known descendents"...unless you possess an awful lot of DNA samples.
I don't know, but I'll ask Michael Hogan. If anyone would know, he would.  Riley and few of the other lads hung around Mexico after the war, but I don't know if anyone tried to do any genealogy research on them.

I think a DNA sample of Saul Alvarez might turn up a "mick in the woodpile".  Very Happy

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:45 am

Lady Otter Latté wrote:Sleep 
I'm dumb too...what's wrong with hallucinations?   scratch 
They cost good money.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by arbon Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:06 am

from WIKI

"John Murphy, Irish soldier, fl. 1846-48.

Murphy was a native of County Mayo who later served with the Saint Patrick's Battalion. He had deserted the U.S. army on 17th May 1846, and joined the Mexican army. Upon his release from prison, he received his pay from the Mexican government in May 1848, and settled in Mexico. He is ancestor to the Murphy-Martinez family of Guadalajara, and one of the few documented members of the battalion who have verified descendants in present-day Mexico."
arbon
arbon
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Humour

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:57 am

lapurafelicidad wrote:
slainte39 wrote:

Only out of curiosity. I haven't completely decided if the lake area is my cup of tea. Before I buy property and go permanent I plan to spend time in other areas. I want to check out Chiapas and Queretero for starters and I have always enjoyed my visits to Mexico City. Maybe some place near there that would loan itself to making frequent trips to the city.
Since all your posts originate from within Mexico why don't you tell us where you currently live.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by lapurafelicidad Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:35 am

I currently reside in Bosques de Bugambilias, in the municipality of Zapopan.

lapurafelicidad

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:55 am

That's an interesting part of town for a newly arrived ex-pat to live. How did you end up there? I know a gringo/Mexican who apparently owns a construction company and lives in that exact same area. Perhaps you know of him?
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by lapurafelicidad Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:41 am

CanuckBob wrote:That's an interesting part of town for a newly arrived ex-pat to live. How did you end up there? I know a gringo/Mexican who apparently owns a construction company and lives in that exact same area. Perhaps you know of him?
We found this rental through a co-worker of my son who had worked for HP in Guadalajara. They gave us a very convenient rental agreement because they plan on selling soon. There is a young American family from Michigan that live around the corner but I think he works for another multi-national corporation. Haven't met or even seen many foreigners in this subdivision.

We actually like this area very much. The biggest drawback is the heavy traffic when we go into Guadalajara so we try to arrange trips according to peak flow. I am not sure what your criteria is for newly arrived but we have been here since April of 2012. We have also spent many winter months in Mexico over the past 20 some years. Mostly in coastal areas like PV and Mazatlan. To me, Mismaloya is one of the most beautiful places on Earth. But everyone knows the summers in those areas are brutally hot and humid and we prefer a more benign climate. We also spent 2 weeks in Chapala in 2002 and had given relocating there some consideration but we were offered the house here and decided this would be a very good place to begin our Mexican retirement.

lapurafelicidad

Back to top Go down

Post by Smartalex Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:46 am

arbon wrote:from WIKI

Murphy was a native of County Mayo who later served with the Saint Patrick's Battalion. He had deserted the U.S. army on 17th May 1846, and joined the Mexican army. Upon his release from prison, he received his pay from the Mexican government in May 1848, and settled in Mexico. He is ancestor to the Murphy-Martinez family of Guadalajara, and one of the few documented members of the battalion who have verified descendants in present-day Mexico."
Guess I have to concede one. Still curious why he wasn't hung with the rest of 'em.
Smartalex
Smartalex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:50 pm

lapurafelicidad wrote:
CanuckBob wrote:That's an interesting part of town for a newly arrived ex-pat to live. How did you end up there? I know a gringo/Mexican who apparently owns a construction company and lives in that exact same area. Perhaps you know of him?
We found this rental through a co-worker of my son who had worked for HP in Guadalajara. They gave us a very convenient rental agreement because they plan on selling soon. There is a young American family from Michigan that live around the corner but I think he works for another multi-national corporation. Haven't met or even seen many foreigners in this subdivision.

We actually like this area very much. The biggest drawback is the heavy traffic when we go into Guadalajara so we try to arrange trips according to peak flow. I am not sure what your criteria is for newly arrived but we have been here since April of 2012. We have also spent many winter months in Mexico over the past 20 some years. Mostly in coastal areas like PV and Mazatlan. To me, Mismaloya is one of the most beautiful places on Earth. But everyone knows the summers in those areas are brutally hot and humid and we prefer a more benign climate. We also spent 2 weeks in Chapala in 2002 and had given relocating there some consideration but we were offered the house here and decided this would be a very good place to begin our Mexican retirement.

I just figured from your immigration questions and other questions regarding places to live around Queretaro and Mexico City it appeared you had never heard of San Miguel de Allende (where all the other expats are). Most ex-pats living here for any length of time kind of know most of these things. You also mentioned Chiapas which is light years from Mexico City and Queretaro.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by lapurafelicidad Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:30 pm

[/quote]I just figured from your immigration questions and other questions regarding places to live around Queretaro and Mexico City it appeared you had never heard of San Miguel de Allende (where all the other expats are). Most ex-pats living here for any length of time kind of know most of these things. You also mentioned Chiapas which is light years from Mexico City and Queretaro. [/quote]
I am not sure how you came to your conclusions. I mentioned several parts of this country that have piqued my interest. I have been to all of them with the exception of Chiapas. We visited San Miguel in the 1990s, can't recall the year but were not impressed. Queretero was very nice but we spent very little time there and again it was some years ago. We'd like to see how much it has changed since we were there last. We have been to Mexico City on numerous occasions and loved what that unique city has to offer but aren't convinced that we would enjoy all of the hustle and bustle on a year round basis. Chiapas also has a unique reputation and we are excited about an upcoming trip. So once we have made a decision on where we might like to plant our roots we will decide if we will buy property and become permanent residents or maybe decide to continue with a semi-nomadic existence. Both have their appeal.

lapurafelicidad

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:44 pm

I know a immigration lawyer who also lives in Zapopan. If you PM me your contact info I am sure he would meet you for coffee one day and you can pick his brain.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by lapurafelicidad Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:41 pm

We really aren't in the need of an attorney but thank you just the same. We handled the FM3 procedure without the need of assistance when we first arrived here and then made the change to temporary resident again on our own. Actually I found your generous offer bewildering. Prior to this last post I kind of felt a bit of antagonization in your previous responses.

lapurafelicidad

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:35 pm

Smartalex wrote:
arbon wrote:from WIKI

Guess I have to concede one. Still curious why he wasn't hung with the rest of 'em.
From what I have read, the ones who jumped ship before war was declared were deserters (like Riley) and were punished with branding, imprisonment, and then set free. The ones after war was declared were guilty of treason and hanged...some 60 or 70, I believe. War was declared on 13 May, 1845, so how Murphy escaped hanging, I don't know. Maybe he was the victim, or should I say, the beneficiary of "Murphy's Law"  Very Happy

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum