INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nationalizing a vehicle at the GDL Airport

+11
PoCo2012
schraderone
casi nada
CheenaGringo
Jim W
sami475
joyfull
phxfunguy
Playaboy
viajero
jrm30655
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Nationalizing a vehicle at the GDL Airport Empty Re: Nationalizing a vehicle at the GDL Airport

Post by jrm30655 Wed May 22, 2013 9:48 pm

If your car is 2007 or older and the VIN starts with a number, you can go get it imported at the customs at Guad airport. You have to use a broker (I'm using SECORP). Cost on a 2006 Jeep wrangler is 28,500P. It takes about 4 weeks and you have to drive across Guad and spend a day getting it inspected. It is a PITA but it is legal.

I posted this on the other board and caught nothing but grief so i don't want to hear it again.

Go to the airport to the air freight customs holding pen, find any of the brokers, talk to them and decide for yourself.

Or if you are lazy, the brokers e-mail is aasecorp@live.com phone 33 3688 6170.

Secorp is one of the largest brokers in the world with offices worldwide. They will tell you all the things you need, give you an detailed, signed receipt.

You will have to drive the car across Guad to the inspection place, which is a zoo, and it will take most of the day to get it inspected.

Otherwise, you can drive to the border and get it done there. It will cost about the same plus you will have 3 days of time.

jrm30655
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Nationalizing a vehicle at the GDL Airport Empty Re: Nationalizing a vehicle at the GDL Airport

Post by viajero Thu May 23, 2013 8:52 am

jrm30655 wrote:If your car is 2007 or older and the VIN starts with a number, you can go get it imported at the customs at Guad airport. You have to use a broker (I'm using SECORP). Cost on a 2006 Jeep wrangler is 28,500P. It takes about 4 weeks and you have to drive across Guad and spend a day getting it inspected. It is a PITA but it is legal.

I posted this on the other board and caught nothing but grief so i don't want to hear it again.

Go to the airport to the air freight customs holding pen, find any of the brokers, talk to them and decide for yourself.

Secorp is one of the largest brokers in the world with offices worldwide. They will tell you all the things you need, give you an detailed, signed receipt.

You will have to drive the car across Guad to the inspection place, which is a zoo, and it will take most of the day to get it inspected.

Otherwise, you can drive to the border and get it done there. It will cost about the same plus you will have 3 days of time.
Thanks for the info,this is the route I hope to take when the time comes.Give us an update when you've completed the process,TIA.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Nationalizing a vehicle at the GDL Airport Empty Nationalizing a vehicle at the GDL Airport

Post by Playaboy Thu May 23, 2013 9:10 am

jrm30655 wrote:If your car is 2007 or older and the VIN starts with a number, you can go get it imported at the customs at Guad airport. You have to use a broker (I'm using SECORP). Cost on a 2006 Jeep wrangler is 28,500P. It takes about 4 weeks and you have to drive across Guad and spend a day getting it inspected. It is a PITA but it is legal.

jrm30655 and viajero, I too am very interested in the Guadalajara airport route myself. I would like to see someone actually accomplish it successfully.

Playaboy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Playaboy Thu May 23, 2013 12:44 pm

You say this is a 4 week process. How far along are you? That is a very reasonable price too.

Playaboy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by phxfunguy Fri May 24, 2013 7:40 am

A friend of mine just did this process last month and used a local facilitator to help him, Luis Bermudez of Ajijic Suites. I don't know which importer at the airport they used. It took about 3-4 weeks and the biggest PITA for sure was the final inspection process to get the plates. To maintain your place in line there's a "musical chairs" routine so everybody shifts chairs as the line moves, at least you get to sit down. After waiting hours they then found that one copy of a document didn't quite include the whole frame on the bottom so it was rejected. With the two of them there one held the place while the other ran out to a stationery store to get a better copy. I believe the whole cost for his 2003 Buick was around $3000 US including the facilitator' fee and plates.
phxfunguy
phxfunguy

Humor : Dual witted (Gemini)

Back to top Go down

Post by phxfunguy Fri May 24, 2013 10:56 pm

phxfunguy wrote:A friend of mine just did this process last month and used a local facilitator to help him, Luis Bermudez of Ajijic Suites. I don't know which importer at the airport they used. It took about 3-4 weeks and the biggest PITA for sure was the final inspection process to get the plates. To maintain your place in line there's a "musical chairs" routine so everybody shifts chairs as the line moves, at least you get to sit down. After waiting hours they then found that one copy of a document didn't quite include the whole frame on the bottom so it was rejected. With the two of them there one held the place while the other ran out to a stationery store to get a better copy. I believe the whole cost for his 2003 Buick was around $3000 US including the facilitator' fee and plates.

Sorry, correction... just found out that my friend went to the border in TX with Luis to do his nationalization, not the airport so it took longer and was more costly than what some have reported. Friends have subsequently told me that the cheapest point to import is San Luis RĂ­o Colorado south of Yuma, AZ. So maybe combining it with a trip to Vegas or Palm Springs would be an option.
phxfunguy
phxfunguy

Back to top Go down

Post by joyfull Sat May 25, 2013 3:45 pm

Anyone know why one place would be cheaper than another? Seems if it depends on the age and make of the car all cities would be the same. But then again this is Mexico.
joyfull
joyfull
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Lovingly sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by sami475 Sat May 25, 2013 7:53 pm

We just returned from getting our car nationalized. We used a broker, Oscar Angula, in Nogales. From start to finish it took exactly 1 hour and 10 minutes. Cost for a 2006 Ford Escape was $1050USD and that included the brokers fee. Differences in price from place to place are probably due to the brokers fee. Would highly recommend Oscar. Yes, I know that we had a long drive and that we paid tolls, but since we decided that we were going to use Oscar we combined it with a short trip to Tucson. No problems re-entering Mexico. At least this can be taken off of the Things To Do List.

sami475

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sat May 25, 2013 8:21 pm

Congrats Sami, It will be interesting to hear from those @ Laredo why the cost was thousands of USD more. You may have driven further, but 3 days for Nationalization vs 1 hour, now that the word is out, Nogales might change policy?
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat May 25, 2013 8:28 pm

Jim:

Lets take a wild guess here about the price differential. Could it be the "law of supply and demand" since more foreigners are familiar with the Laredo crossings? After all they can draw from both the Lake Chapala area and San Miguel de Allende!

I did get a kick out of the report by one of the self proclaimed experts whose wife is a facilitator. He drove his Canadian registered SUV 8 hours from San Miguel de Allende to Laredo planning to sell the vehicle. OOPS - the Texas dealers had a problem purchasing a Canadian registered vehicle. Now who would have guessed?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Playaboy Sat May 25, 2013 10:23 pm

I was just in the Rio Grande Valley. I talked with several brokers. They all based there charges by the model year and not by the car value. Prices ranged from $2000 - 2500 total costs depending on the year. . Nogales is less expensive.

Neil, I think the amount of cars expats nationalize is such a small percentage of the total cars imported a year. Mexicans nationals import many more cars than expats.

It is the same with TIP's. Mexican nationals living in the USA and owning USA vehicles take out many more TIP's, for visiting family and friends, than American or Canadian tourists. Mexicans can drive foreign plated vehicles with a TIP if they own them.

Playaboy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by phxfunguy Sat May 25, 2013 10:26 pm

joyfull wrote:Anyone know why one place would be cheaper than another? Seems if it depends on the age and make of the car all cities would be the same. But then again this is Mexico.
The broker my friends heard about in San Luis charges only a $200 fee (so far) so that makes the big difference. From their survey it was the cheapest of any point, Nogales was next cheaper. The rest of the cost is the same at any crossing point.
phxfunguy
phxfunguy

Back to top Go down

Post by casi nada Sun May 26, 2013 8:04 am

Playaboy wrote:I was just in the Rio Grande Valley. I talked with several brokers. They all based there charges by the model year and not by the car value. Prices ranged from $2000 - 2500 total costs depending on the year. . Nogales is less expensive.

You can get it done here for about the same price and save yourself the trip to the border.

casi nada
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by jrm30655 Sun May 26, 2013 11:48 am

casi nada wrote:
Playaboy wrote:I was just in the Rio Grande Valley. I talked with several brokers. They all based there charges by the model year and not by the car value. Prices ranged from $2000 - 2500 total costs depending on the year. . Nogales is less expensive.

You can get it done here for about the same price and save yourself the trip to the border.

It looks like if you live in the Chapala area, you are going to pay $2500 one way or another. By the time you drive to the border and back, all the savings go to gas and tolls plus wear and tear on the car and the driving risk.

jrm30655
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun May 26, 2013 2:20 pm

The Nogales trip from Lakeside cost us approx. 3500 pesos in tolls RT., and 3300 pesos in gas. Total cost last trip was less than 10,000 pesos, including 2 nights lodging, F & B.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by schraderone Mon May 27, 2013 8:24 am

sami475 wrote:We just returned from getting our car nationalized. We used a broker, Oscar Angula, in Nogales. From start to finish it took exactly 1 hour and 10 minutes. Cost for a 2006 Ford Escape was $1050USD and that included the brokers fee. Differences in price from place to place are probably due to the brokers fee. Would highly recommend Oscar. Yes, I know that we had a long drive and that we paid tolls, but since we decided that we were going to use Oscar we combined it with a short trip to Tucson. No problems re-entering Mexico. At least this can be taken off of the Things To Do List.
Please publish contact details for Oscar, seems he deserves more business!

schraderone
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by PoCo2012 Mon May 27, 2013 5:56 pm

Oscar Angulo
AnCo Comercializadora
Tel 631-31-52571
Cel Mex 045 6311201015
Cel USA 52098801986

We just got back from Nogales and are on our way tomorrow to get Jalisco plates. We were very impressed with Oscars expertise, professionalism and he's a heck of a nice guy.
PoCo2012
PoCo2012
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Mon May 27, 2013 6:12 pm

PoCo2012 wrote:Oscar Angulo
AnCo Comercializadora
Tel 631-31-52571
Cel Mex 045 6311201015
Cel USA 52098801986

We just got back from Nogales and are on our way tomorrow to get Jalisco plates. We were very impressed with Oscars expertise, professionalism and he's a heck of a nice guy.

PoCo, I want to hear how happy you are AFTER you get your Jalisco plates tomorrow. :)

Merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by PoCo2012 Mon May 27, 2013 6:21 pm

You bet...I'll let you know. Oscar held our hand through the entire process with all the other folks nationalizing vehicles. We received all the stamps, invoices and pedimento. We checked our number on line that night and today before going in tomorrow.
PoCo2012
PoCo2012
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Khof Tue May 28, 2013 6:49 pm

PoCo2012 How was the "getting the plates" experience?

Khof

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Tue May 28, 2013 7:03 pm

Yeah, I wanna hear about this also....

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joyfull Tue May 28, 2013 9:29 pm

Guess PoCo2012 is too exhausted from the experience to post or he is still there waiting in line flag waver
joyfull
joyfull
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Lovingly sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue May 28, 2013 9:42 pm

Maybe he didn't know the proper and approved method of saving one's place in line:

[img]Nationalizing a vehicle at the GDL Airport Funny-10[/img]

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Wed May 29, 2013 8:30 am

PoCo must be in a REALLY long line!

Merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by PoCo2012 Wed May 29, 2013 11:09 am

JaJaJa....
Turns out the local SVT offices only do plates for vehicles already Mexican. They gave us a website to follow through with the Jalisco process where we made an appointment for Tuesday in Tesistan.
I'll keep you posted with a new thread.
Beer
PoCo2012
PoCo2012
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next