INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nationalizing My Vehicle

+3
Jim W
CheenaGringo
hockables
7 posters

Go down

Nationalizing My Vehicle Empty Nationalizing My Vehicle

Post by hockables Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:44 pm

Problem: We recently obtained Permante Status... as you know, this means we can no longer bring a foreign plated vehicle into Mexico...
The Missus ( Boss ) wants to go Norte to Canada to be with Kids & Family 5 - 6 months each year.
Mexico won't allow us a Canadian Plated Vehicle.
Canada won't allow us a Mexican Plated Vehicle.
We have a couple of Kitties that travel with us, driving is the preferred mode of transportation.

The best answer I can come up with... nationalize a Canadian Vehicle in Mexico... when returning to Canada, simply throw the Canadian Plate back on.
Silly, F'n Expensive... but I don't see any alternative.Smokealot 

Having decided to go that route, I'm thinking of upgrading the potential Dual Nationality Vehicle...

What is the latest model currently being accepted for Mexican Nationalization?

Looking for Input... Feel Free to throw in any comments...
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Nationalizing My Vehicle Empty Re: Nationalizing My Vehicle

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:26 pm

Maybe the under boss needs to exert more influence on reducing the amount of time spent NOB?

How about long term vehicle storage say in Tucson, AZ and just swap cars? Did some quick research and found car storage for around $50/month. Plenty of snowbirds storing vehicles in AZ.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:22 pm

Hocks, we have 3 car garage....work a deal for auto storage in exchange for "KILLER BROWNIES"..........will be ROLMAO.......Ya think?
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:59 pm

Jim W wrote:Hocks, we have 3 car garage....work a deal for auto storage in exchange for "KILLER BROWNIES"..........will be ROLMAO.......Ya think?

It'll get ya 15 - 20 taking em into Arizona Blackeye 
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ezzie Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:22 pm

hockables wrote:

Where did you hear that? If you are a Permanent Resident of Mexico with a Mexican driver's licence and get insurance coverage that allows you to drive it in the USA and Canada, I don't see why any Canadian jurisdiction should have a problem with it.

This is what I am planning on doing once I become a Permanent Resident of Mexico and want to drive up to Canada to see the kids.

Ezzie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Aka "El Grillo"

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:51 pm

Ezzie wrote:
hockables wrote:

Where did you hear that?  If you are a Permanent Resident of Mexico with a Mexican driver's licence and get insurance coverage that allows you to drive it in the USA and Canada, I don't see why any Canadian jurisdiction should have a problem with it.

This is what I am planning on doing once I become a Permanent Resident of Mexico and want to drive up to Canada to see the kids.

U Must Declare Non-Resident Status In Canada... and in order to do that,  U can't own any Real Estate in Canada.
Transport Canada said No !
I said " Waddabout Nafta ?".... they said " No !" They said " Vehicles built to Mexican Standards are Not Allowed."
I said..."  What if I upgrade vehicle ?" ( like they call for when Importing US Vehicles )
They said " Mexican ?"... I said " Yes "... they said " NO ! "
I said " But it was manufactured in Kentucky " They said " For Mexico ?" ... I said " Yes "... They said " No "

Before you start driving North in your Mexican Plated, Mexican Insured Vehicle... make a few calls... It might save you some Gas.
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:00 pm

K... back to the vehicle upgrade thing... what is the latest model ( the newest ) vehicle a person can Nationalize at this time?
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:02 pm

I have read that it is 2007?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ezzie Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:07 pm

That's what I mean.  If you are a "Permanent Resident" of Mexico, you are a visitor coming to Canada from Mexico on a temporary basis to visit Canada.  You would not have an issue if you presented your Mexican driver's licence to any police officer in any province or territory and had a valid set of Mexican state plates on the car and could provide proof of insurance.

I also agree that you would NOT be able to import the Mexican made vehicle into Canada and try to obtain a set of Canadian plates for it.  You could only do this if it was 15 yrs. old or older (manufacturing date of 1998 or older).

If you are planning on spending six months of the year in Mexico and 6 months of the year in Canada and maintaining a residence in Canada and keeping your ties there, why are you going "Permanente"?

Last edited by Ezzie on Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ezzie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:18 pm

Ezzie wrote:That's what I mean.  If you are a "Permanent Resident" of Mexico, you are a visitor coming to Canada from Mexico on a temporary basis to visit Canada.  You would not have an issue if you presented your Mexican driver's licence to any police officer in any province or territory and had a valid set of plates on the car.

I also agree that you would NOT be able to import the Mexican made vehicle into Canada and try to obtain a set of Canadian plates for it.  You could only do this if it was 15 yrs. old or older (manufacturing date of 1998 or older).  

It is my understanding that having Permante in Mexico doesn't mean a thing to Canadian Authorities.
You Must Declare Non-Resident Status In Canada... this changes your Tax Status, Health Insurance, but requires you hold No Real Estate in Canada... that doesn't work for me... I happen to have a lot of Real Estate and I doubt I would sell off over a car!!

I just thought of something... What if I drove My Jalisco Plated Ford Escape out of Mexico, acquired Insurance in Lerado for required coverage in US & Canada... was allowed to drive into Canada because I happen to have a Jalisco Drivers License to go with the vehicle's plates.... and then get into an accident.
Now they find out I also have a Saskatchewan Address, hold a valid Saskatchewan ( Canadian ) License.
Who do they sue, who insures, more to the point... who doesn't insure.... sounds like fun.

Last edited by hockables on Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ezzie Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:26 pm

hockables wrote:

It is my understanding that having Permante in Mexico doesn't mean a thing to Canadian Authorities.
You Must Declare Non-Resident Status In Canada... this changes your Tax Status, Health Insurance, but requires you hold No Real Estate in Canada... that doesn't work for me... I happen to have a lot of Real Estate and I doubt I would sell off over a car!!

I agree with you!!! The only point I am trying to make is that I cannot see why you would have any issues with a traffic officer in any Canadian jurisdiction over the legality of driving a Mexican plated car with up-to-date plates, presenting your Mexican driver's licence backed up with your Canadian passport, your proof of permanent residency status in Mexico (Resident Permanente) and the explanation that you were visiting family in Canada.

I have thought of having both a valid set of Mexican plates as well as Canadian plates and then switching them as soon as I cross the border into the US - but it should not be necessary. I have not checked but are you sure it would not be illegal to have current registrations in two countries on the same VIN#???

Ezzie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:54 pm

Ezzie wrote:
hockables wrote:

I agree with you!!!  The only point I am trying to make is that I cannot see why you would have any issues with a traffic officer in any Canadian jurisdiction over the legality of driving a Mexican plated car with up-to-date plates, presenting your Mexican driver's licence backed up with your Canadian passport, your proof of permanent residency status in Mexico (Resident Permanente) and the explanation that you were visiting family in Canada.

I have thought of having both a valid set of Mexican plates as well as Canadian plates and then switching them as soon as I cross the border into the US - but it should not be necessary.  I have not checked but are you sure it would not be illegal to have current registrations in two countries on the same VIN#???

I haven't checked... but I also seriously doubt they communicate.
I believe it's a simple matter of complying with a particular jurisdictions licensing & insurance requirements
I have dual residential status.... so will my vehicle

Commercial Transport ( Semis ) are required to license from country to country and state to state....
Predominate Rules are mainly Weight Restrictions of jurisdiction and proper Insurance
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:00 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:I have read that it is 2007?

I'm looking at a 2008... but the manufacture date is likely 2007...
What do U think?
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:38 pm

Hocks:

Admittedly I haven't be paying attention to all of the little nuances but I recently read where someone figured their 2008 would be able to be nationalized this fall. Maybe it works off the official model year introduction date?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:30 am

hockables wrote:Problem: We recently obtained Permante Status... as you know, this means we can no longer bring a foreign plated vehicle into Mexico...
The Missus ( Boss ) wants to go Norte to Canada to be with Kids & Family 5 - 6 months each year.
Mexico won't allow us a Canadian Plated Vehicle.
We have a couple of Kitties that travel with us, driving is the preferred mode of transportation.

The best answer I can come up with... nationalize a Canadian Vehicle in Mexico... when returning to Canada, simply throw the Canadian Plate back on.
Silly, F'n Expensive... but I don't see any alternative.Smokealot 

Having decided to go that route, I'm thinking of upgrading the potential Dual Nationality Vehicle...

What is the latest model currently being accepted for Mexican Nationalization?

IMO, the best alternative is to keep a vehicle at both ends and fly back and forth.

WTF would anyone want to drive from Saskatchewan to Jalisco twice a year anyways?
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:42 am

To become enlightened while driving through Utah?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by casi nada Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:48 am

hockables wrote:
Silly, F'n Expensive... but I don't see any alternative.:33: 

When we nationalized our car, they wouldn't give us Jalisco plates unless the foreign plates were turned in to the licensing authorities.  So you would have to get a new set of Canadian plates.

casi nada
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ezzie Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:57 am

I think you still can in Ontario. It was a few years ago (in 2005) the last time I did this and at the time it cost $20. Recently, they have changed the rules in Ontario. If you let the annual renewal lapse and then go to get a renewal a year or two later, you have to pay for all of the unmissed years. In those cases, it is less expensive to just get a new licence plate/registration and you do not need to turn in the old plates to do it. You must, however, show proof of a pass on the bi-annual e-test as well as proof of insurance coverage.

Ezzie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by arbon Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:00 am

Problem: We recently obtained Permante Status. wrote:

That's the problem!...so fix the problem, don't create more problems.
arbon
arbon
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Humour

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down