INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which Church are they from?

+17
CheenaGringo
brigitte
itsme
solajijic
Zedinmexico
RoofBob
Lady Otter Latté
slainte39
viajero
Trailrunner
Jim W
ComputerGuy
espíritu del lago
LaChula
MexicoPete
Hernan Santiago
Rosa Venus
21 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Which Church are they from? Empty Which Church are they from?

Post by Rosa Venus Wed May 08, 2013 4:35 pm

You know the folks. The people who get their whites incredibly white and collect money on weekends at the intersection of the Libramiento and the Carretera, directly in front of Walmart. Have also seen them at the entrance to Jocotepec, the lakefront restaurants in San Juan Cosala, and more recently a small village in Nayarit.

I asked one of the fellows recently, in Spanish, which church he represents but rather than answer, he flipped his collection can around to an English version side which listed what services they provide and where the money goes. Before I could continue the light turned green and I had to motor on.

Anybody know which Church they're collecting for? Someone once said - or speculated - that it's a Church in Guadalajara. When I saw them in Nayarit, it got me thinking, and I'm beginning to suspect I know which one.

Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Which Church are they from? Empty Re: Which Church are they from?

Post by Hernan Santiago Wed May 08, 2013 5:01 pm

I do not know, either. But it sure is maddening when folks think they are donating to Cruz Roja Chapala, when they are donating to some church in GDL, who disguise themselves to look like Cruz Roja, right down to their little crosses.

Hernan Santiago

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Wed May 08, 2013 5:03 pm

I asked that same question maybe a year ago when some folks thought they were from the Red Cross. I was handed a pamphlet that I gave to Charlie of the Red Cross.

I don't remember which protestant religion it was. Perhaps The 7th Day Adventists.
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by LaChula Wed May 08, 2013 5:43 pm

I've been told it is Opus Dei. They are, I believe, a right wing branch of the Catholic Church. I don't like that those people on the road let people think it is the Cruz Roja.

LaChula
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Wed May 08, 2013 6:30 pm

I thought the money went to drug and alcohol rehabilitation for the local Mexican community.
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Wed May 08, 2013 6:33 pm

Yeah, I don't think they are a church. Espiritu may be right, but they come out from Guadalajara, so I'm not very sure about the "local" connection. I'd really like to know, because they have stepped up their collection schedule.

The guys that come to my door looking to collect for rehabs will have proper credentials hanging around their necks, if they're for real.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Wed May 08, 2013 7:22 pm

Their documentation that they gave me, had the name of a protestant religion on it and they were getting money for that church. I will see Charlie of the Red Cross tomorrow or Friday morning and ask him if he remembers the name of the group.
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Wed May 08, 2013 7:22 pm

I started a thread about these cons a couple months ago. If you intend to donate to Cruz Roja give it to Charlie @ Super Lake, otherwise don't give them a peso. Unless you feel good about donating to a church in GDL!

The whole con game sucks, just like the women sitting @ superlake beggin for cervesa for their husbands....these women get off the bus from GDL daily....collect from the gringos....LTAO riding home.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Wed May 08, 2013 7:43 pm

It would be good to know if it's an accredited church, in that case. Not just a non-profit set up for collections.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Wed May 08, 2013 7:46 pm

They are not with Cruz Roja. That has been well established and was obvious from the beginning if you took a good look at them. So...

THEY'RE NOT FROM CRUZ ROJA if you haven't figured that out by now.

Just wondering which organization they're with. The weekend is coming up, I'll ask them again.

Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Wed May 08, 2013 7:53 pm

It's a total mystery to me why anyone would think they were from CR.

I'm pretty sure they are collecting for some rehab facility, I've asked them in the past and that's what they say.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Wed May 08, 2013 7:57 pm

BTW LTAO=Laugh their ass off.....stealing donations from cruz roja.....and I don't give a flip what their church is......run em outa town

They are extremely offensive in their methodology.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Wed May 08, 2013 8:08 pm

Jim W wrote:

The whole con game sucks, just like the women sitting @ superlake beggin for cervesa for their husbands....these women get off the bus from GDL daily....collect from the gringos....LTAO riding home.
That's funny Jim,at least my wife thought it was when I proposed the idea to her just now.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Wed May 08, 2013 8:13 pm

Trailrunner wrote:
I'm pretty sure they are collecting for some rehab facility, I've asked them in the past and that's what they say.

The thing is, I'm almost certain I saw the same folks in a small pueblo on HWY 200 between Puerto Vallarta and Sayulita. Almost certain. And then 50 yards down the road, I spotted a small church which is part of a MUCH larger church headquartered in Guadalajara, a church that has spread far and wide. There was even a VERY modest version of it in the city I lived in the U.S. So that's why I'm so curious.

If it's a "re-hab center", then I wonder if it's something on the scale of the Salvation Army. Those were the types of services that we listed on the collection box as I started to read it, but then I had to drive off before I finished reading it or could continue the conversation.

Last edited by Rosa Venus on Wed May 08, 2013 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Wed May 08, 2013 8:14 pm

I believe it Chris. and you are TFF...maybe I can get my wife to do it?
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Wed May 08, 2013 8:36 pm

I always tell them "I just gave to my church" and they smile and move on.

But the handout they gave me identified which church they said they were collecting for. As I said above, I gave the handout to Charlie and when I next see him I will ask him if he remembers which protestant church it is.

But the white uniform they wear, yes there are red lines on them, does not look anything like the Red Cross workers or the uniforms they wear.
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Wed May 08, 2013 8:43 pm

You keep saying "Protestant Church". But you don't remember which. Why Protestant?
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Wed May 08, 2013 8:58 pm

Because they gave the name to me. And a brochure. It was a name I recognized. I just don't remember the name.

It wasn't mainstream like Presbyterian, Baptist, etc. Nor was it Mormon. It was a group that liked to knock on doors and talk about the bible.

I just don't remember. I will ask Charlie if I see him Tomorrow, or if you see him first, why don't you ask him the name of the church on the brochure I gave him and share it with us.
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Wed May 08, 2013 10:25 pm

Rosa Venus wrote:
Trailrunner wrote:

The thing is, I'm almost certain I saw the same folks in a small pueblo on HWY 200 between Puerto Vallarta and Sayulita. Almost certain. And then 50 yards down the road, I spotted a small church which is part of a MUCH larger church headquartered in Guadalajara, a church that has spread far and wide. There was even a VERY modest version of it in the city I lived in the U.S. So that's why I'm so curious.

If it's a "re-hab center", then I wonder if it's something on the scale of the Salvation Army. Those were the types of services that we listed on the collection box as I started to read it, but then I had to drive off before I finished reading it or could continue the conversation.

Well, that's interesting, I bet you're right. They do seem to have a certain amount of fervor or something. Conviction, maybe. Yeah, yeah, maybe something like the Salvation Army.

I must say, I am mesmerized by her hairdo and outfit.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Wed May 08, 2013 10:47 pm

Rosa Venus wrote:You keep saying "Protestant Church". But you don't remember which. Why Protestant?

Why Protestant?
Because I have never heard of the Catholic Church doing highway solicitation for donations dressed as?..... "nurses"?

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Wed May 08, 2013 10:52 pm

"Why Protestant?
Because I have never heard of the Catholic Church doing highway solicitation for donations dressed as?..... "nurses"?." -- slainte

No Jews or Muslims either. They have their own head gear and they don´t go with nurses caps.

Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by RoofBob Wed May 08, 2013 11:39 pm

I've wonderd what treatment they might get at Cruz Roja if they were injured while standing in the middle of the road and delivered to CR in an ambulance in their white uniforms. Twisted Evil
RoofBob
RoofBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu May 09, 2013 7:45 am

Trailrunner wrote:It's a total mystery to me why anyone would think they were from CR.

Because they have red stripes on there uniforms and other things that make them appear to be cruz roja. To me they are on the border of bad
ethics but so a church has bad ethics nothing new there I guess.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by solajijic Thu May 09, 2013 7:50 am

I have always wondered why Cruz Roja doesn't just roll out their own collectors on those weekends when the fake ones are there at the corner. Frankly I think Cruz Roja would do good to hire some local adults, get them readily identifiable shirts and khakis and set them out there and pay them an hourly or a percentage. Every weekend.

Those fakers annoy me and I think its 7th Day.

solajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : "I a, a practical woman. Sentiment only takes one so far. At some point, practicality must enter the room."

Back to top Go down

Post by itsme Thu May 09, 2013 8:03 am

I believe they are from The Church of the Latter Day Saints. Isn't that the Mormons?

itsme
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next