INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The upside of mordida (as I see it at this moment)

+10
Pedro
confused
seisdedos
cosalamx
viajero
brigitte
CheenaGringo
Trailrunner
Jim W
Talosian
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The upside of mordida (as I see it at this moment) Empty The upside of mordida (as I see it at this moment)

Post by Talosian Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:03 pm

I was doing a mental comparison between where I use to live NOB (California for the most part) and here.

In California, if I went through a red-light my ticket could run close to US$300. Speeding, in that same range. Parking in violation of posted hours can run US$40 to $70. DUI? I don’t even know the top range.

Here, I can handle a relatively minor driving issue for $100MN and it’s helping a cop who doesn’t get anywhere near the US$12 some fast-food workers in the U.S. get (or maybe it’s only US$8).

I help feed a Mexican family as opposed to paying the fine into the system and who knows where it goes?

NOB, when I get and pay the ticket, I’m assured of a serious hike in my auto insurance rates. Here? Nada.

I went through a couple of remodels NOB, one major one after the Northridge (California) earthquake.

When building/remodeling NOB, you have to jump through so many hoops, you end u feeling like a trained animal in a circus. The permit fees can run hundreds of US$; and every step of the way, inspectors from Building and Safety come out with white gloves and micrometers; if something isn’t right up to snuff, you may well have to disassemble it and start over.

If you want to turn your garage into a playroom, you need a permit; same to make it a spare room for your brother and his family who are out of work. You get reported to Building and Safety, and you can get fined (screwed without getting kissed).

In Mexico, as far as I see, get your plans approved and that’s it. If an inspector comes out, a gift of a bottle of his favorite brand or a regalo, and all is well.

Here, the house “passes code” if its standing when an inspector comes out (if one ever does).

IMO, in both the U.S. and Mexico, you can’t rely on “the system” so that’s equal. NOB, the government has its fingers in every aspect of your life, some you don’t even know about. Here, it’s usually if you keep out of the government’s way, it will stay out of your business.

Anyway, just my opinion, and I respect if you have not only a different one but one opposite of mine.
Talosian
Talosian
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : All over the field.

Back to top Go down

The upside of mordida (as I see it at this moment) Empty Re: The upside of mordida (as I see it at this moment)

Post by Jim W Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:10 pm

I am semi braindead....thread is to long for me to comprehend....so what is your point? Please shoot me before I expose my stupitidy! The upside of mordida (as I see it at this moment) 477249
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

The upside of mordida (as I see it at this moment) Empty Re: The upside of mordida (as I see it at this moment)

Post by Trailrunner Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:12 pm

Stop paying mordida, it makes you a chump.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:15 pm

Trailrunner wrote:Stop paying mordida, it makes you a chump.

Confusing reply?
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:16 pm

Jim:

It is just that you haven't been struck by the same knowledge "lightning bolt" as described by Talosian! You can expect such at the point where you have hung out in Mexico just long enough usually during the high intellect hours of the evening.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:37 pm

Talosians point is well made and I agree 100%. The Mexican mordida system is far more logical and efficient than the system in the dreaded United states or Europe. Whether on the road in confrontation with a cop or upon having had an accident where no one is physically hurt, the Mexican system is far more practical and efficient. The two or more participants in an accident reach agreement as to damages and recompense amicably and the cop whose wages are absurdly inappropriate for his or her duties, receives compensation for refereeing incidents or speeding violations along the road. For traffic violations that in France could result in outrageous fines, obscene incremental insurance premium increases and perhaps a drivers license confiscation and months in traffic school, the motorist is let of the hook with a simple mordida given the cop on the scene rather than some crooked judge sitting in a courtroom with his thumb up his ass. Dawg will take Mexico anyday.

Hound Dog

Last edited by brigitte on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Talosian Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:38 pm

Jim W wrote:I am semi braindead....thread is to long for me to comprehend....so what is your point? Please shoot me before I expose my stupitidy! The upside of mordida (as I see it at this moment) 477249

No point, just free association.
Talosian
Talosian
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Talosian Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:41 pm

Sidebar: I have never, in 8+ years here, been stopped by a traffic cop when I did nothing wrong.
Talosian
Talosian
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:42 pm

If you want to avoid a 300 dollar fine for running a red light it's real easy,don't run the red light and endanger other peoples lives.As far as building and zoning codes go,well,Mexico could probably learn something from the US,you might not have houses wired with lamp cord and run off a single 30 amp breaker,you might not have scrap yards located in residential neighborhoods etc.And as far feeding that poor transito's family,well....

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:44 pm

Dawg, quit posting under Brigitte's name, I knew that didn't sound like her.

Don't pay mordida, it only propagates the myth that all gringos are stupid chumps and encourages the predator situation we have going here. This is the worst transito unit I've ever seen in any part of Mexico.

I do get the point tho and agree somewhat with the theory but Viajero is right you get what you pay for.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by cosalamx Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:47 pm

Trailrunner wrote:Dawg, quit posting under Brigitte's name, I knew that didn't sound like her.

Don't pay mordida, it only propagates the myth that all gringos are stupid chumps and encourages the predator situation we have going here. This is the worst transito unit I've ever seen in any part of Mexico.

I do get the point tho and agree somewhat with the theory but Viajero is right you get what you pay for.

Do you think that Mexicans don't pay mordida?

cosalamx

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:49 pm

Talosian wrote:Sidebar: I have never, in 8+ years here, been stopped by a traffic cop when I did nothing wrong.

I have, and LMAO, stood my ground, he backed off and left me the f alone!
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:50 pm

Some. But not as much as foreigners do or as readily.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:52 pm

I wonder if some of these dufus realize that the full amount of the bribe you pay doesn't go to feed the transito's family. Tienen que mocharse con sus superiores.
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:55 pm

This whole Chapala transito department is infected. I imagine most of them buy their job and I know they kick back up the ladder.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:04 pm

seisdedos wrote:I wonder if some of these dufus realize that the full amount of the bribe you pay doesn't go to feed the transito's family. Tienen que mocharse con sus superiores.

Confusing post by you solo? We are supposed to pay Mordida, to pay his family? When we have not broken a law? WTF?
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:05 pm

[quote="Trailrunner"]Dawg, quit posting under Brigitte's name, I knew that didn't sound like her.
I do get the point tho and agree somewhat with the theory but Viajero is right you get what you pay for.[/quote]

Dawg presumes, Tailrunner, Darling, that you speak of the obscenely crooked and opportunistic Lakeside transitos who are scoundrels. The only reason Dawg posted under Brigittes name is because she had the temerity to intercede on this forum under my sacred password. I must speak with her about this unwarranted intercession.

Here in Chiapas, the transitos do not mess with us motorists ever whether local or foreign and it is only at Lakeside with its rich treasure trove of foreign suckers that the transitos are so obvious with their graft. My Mexican friends at Lakeside inform me that these transito creeps are every bit as opportunistic with them as with us foreigners. However, I must say that in the eight years I have had Jalisco plates, these creeps have never messed with me. Viva Mexico.

I can tell you that I have been guilty of traffic infractions in Mexico that would have landed me in the hoosegow in the U.S. or France and these infractions were handled easily with a little mordida. I will take Mexico and you can have California.

Dawg

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:18 pm

The transitos in JOCOTEPEC don't even mess with the motorists!!!

You're right, it's a treasure trove of chumps for the Chapala transitos and they take every opportunity.

I never even SAW a transito in Chiapas.

Aw, you're just snooping around her laptop to see if she's got any sexy emails from Dash Ripprock.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:20 pm

Jim W wrote:
seisdedos wrote:I wonder if some of these dufus realize that the full amount of the bribe you pay doesn't go to feed the transito's family. Tienen que mocharse con sus superiores.

Confusing post by you solo? We are supposed to pay Mordida, to pay his family? When we have not broken a law? WTF?

No, that is not what I said.
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:22 pm

brigitte wrote:

I can tell you that I have been guilty of traffic infractions in Mexico that would have landed me in the hoosegow in the U.S. or France and these infractions were handled easily with a little mordida. I will take Mexico and you can have California.

Dawg
So, did you move here for the weather or the freedom to disobey traffic laws on the cheap?

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:36 pm

He moved here because Ic ame down and bought a house so he just had to move: nothing to do with the weather or the mordidas.

Dawg, it is not complicated sign out rom brigitte and sign in as Dawg. PLEASE

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:42 pm

brigitte wrote:He moved here because Ic ame down and bought a house so he just had to move: nothing to do with the weather or the mordidas.
Entendido. Very Happy

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:44 pm

brigitte wrote:
Dawg, it is not complicated sign out rom brigitte and sign in as Dawg. PLEASE

PLEASE lol
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by confused Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:39 am

Trailrunner wrote:Dawg, quit posting under Brigitte's name, I knew that didn't sound like her.

....but my Mexican friends all pay mordida. They get caught in Chapala, especially. The cops wait on corners where they know people like to go the wrong way down a one way street and GOTCHA. Have a chat with the fella trying to get home without having to drive around the block. 50 pesos later..... done.

Happy with the system? Hell no! The problem is they do not have the time to wait in line to pay the ticket!
They are working people, not retired with time to kill.

Sit down, one day and ask your friends to tell you about the last time they got bit. Lots of good stories.

confused

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:32 am

I will do that, it will be fun!

Fifty pesos! More like 500 from foreigners. Fifty pesos is a deal and more like what the ticket would actually cost with discount. So, transito department gets the cash instead of the city. Can't be any surprise to the city that this is how the system works. . .must be the way they want it.

Ok, I'll amend my comment: If you live here, don't pay mordida! You will be branded as a chump and targeted everytime they see your car as someone who pays.

I haven't paid mordida since the first time I was stopped here at the WM intersection in 2004. I've been stopped maybe a couple of times since and refused to pay, eventually they give up.

Just remembered, PV has predator transitos too! Beware the Nayarit/Jalisco/Rio Ameca bridge area.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next