INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So how bad did you get gouged for a drink?

+5
Intercasa
merry
gringal
joec
Zedinmexico
9 posters

Go down

So how bad did you get gouged for a drink? Empty So how bad did you get gouged for a drink?

Post by Zedinmexico Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:35 am

We stayed a few weeks ago at Grand Mayan south of Cancun. Never stayed at one of those beautiful resorts before and while very pretty the food and drink prices shocked me. Anybody in Mexico seen a higher priced Frape con sol margarita at 95 Pesos?

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

So how bad did you get gouged for a drink? Empty Re: So how bad did you get gouged for a drink?

Post by joec Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:38 am

Zedinmexico wrote:We stayed a few weeks ago at Grand Mayan south of Cancun. Never stayed at one of those beautiful resorts before and while very pretty the food and drink prices shocked me. Anybody in Mexico seen a higher priced Frape con sol margarita at 95 Pesos?

Z

Next time stay at one of the nice All Inclusives in Nuevo Vallarta. There are a few good ones with great beaches.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

So how bad did you get gouged for a drink? Empty Re: So how bad did you get gouged for a drink?

Post by gringal Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:13 am

Stayed at one of those All Inclusives in Nuevo Vallarta. Some of those drinks would make bathtub gin taste like Bombay Sapphire in comparison. But.....you could have all you wanted. Same with the food. Plenty of it, but nothing special.

I guess it's time to haul out the old quote: "Ya get what ya pay for", (unless you get less than what you pay for).
So how was that 95 peso margarita, anyway? Extra good? How about the food?

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:23 am

gringal wrote:Stayed at one of those All Inclusives in Nuevo Vallarta. Some of those drinks would make bathtub gin taste like Bombay Sapphire in comparison. But.....you could have all you wanted. Same with the food. Plenty of it, but nothing special.

I guess it's time to haul out the old quote: "Ya get what ya pay for", (unless you get less than what you pay for).

Where did you go?

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:36 am

gringal wrote:Stayed at one of those All Inclusives in Nuevo Vallarta. Some of those drinks would make bathtub gin taste like Bombay Sapphire in comparison. But.....you could have all you wanted. Same with the food. Plenty of it, but nothing special.

We found that the all inclusive has a fee for the day per person. We found it to be 80 to 120USD per day per person.
We don't eat that much food. The 95 peso margarita was one of those margarita machines made with El Jimador.
It was good but not 95 pesos good. We went to wally world in Playa del Carmin and bought 125$USD of food and drink and
took taxis to the local fishing village to eat to keep the costs down. Ended up spending less than 200 USD at the resort for
four people. I was happier at the fishing village than the resort. Guess I like funky versus overpriced and mediocre. The
best meal was a mayan meal in the interior of the yucatan and we found a resturant owned by the local fisherman in the
fishing village. Much better drinks and food at half the cost maybe even less.
Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:32 am

Zedinmexico wrote:We stayed a few weeks ago at Grand Mayan south of Cancun. Never stayed at one of those beautiful resorts before and while very pretty the food and drink prices shocked me. Anybody in Mexico seen a higher priced Frape con sol margarita at 95 Pesos?

Z

Damn Zed, that's like going to Starbux and complaining about their double mocha frappucino lattes cost too much! What did you expect?

And what the hell is a Frape con sol margarita anyway? I Googled that and only came up with your complaint. Sounds like you paid for a little sunshine to be mixed in with that drink, perhaps that is the opposite of moonshine.

merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:46 am

So I am assuming this is for regular swill, not like ordering Belvedere Vodka, Red bull and a splash of cran at a nice club which would run 200 pesos.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:51 am

Spencer, I can't get past Zed's "Frape" part which I think means he is experiencing righteous indignation over a girly frozen drink. <giggle>

merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:54 am

merry wrote:

Z

Damn Zed, that's like going to Starbux and complaining about their double mocha frappucino lattes cost too much! What did you expect?

And what the hell is a Frape con sol margarita anyway? I Googled that and only came up with your complaint. Sounds like you paid for a little sunshine to be mixed in with that drink, perhaps that is the opposite of moonshine.

merry

Margarita blended with salt. Let me see a margarita made with El Jimador (most popular 100% agave tequila in mexico) would probably cost them 10/15 pesos. I call that gouging. I could have dealt with 60 or 70 pesos. So if they wouldn't have had so much of a markup for OK food I probably would have
bought more. I have never paid that much for a drink in Mexico even in some pretty nice hotels. They charge to much for mediocre food and drink so I
left and ate at the room or outside the resort. All four of us felt the same way. I paid less for drinks at some US two star Michelin resturants in Napa so I
am use to expensive food and drink. This was just over the top considering the quality.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:59 am

Maybe the drink was cheap but the little coloured umbrella made the difference?
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:59 am

Hmm, Top Shelf ANYTHINGS are regularly more than 100 pesos, so I can't sympathize that you were that ripped off.

merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:01 pm

Intercasa wrote:Maybe the drink was cheap but the little coloured umbrella made the difference?

Oh yeah, the parasols as they are called in Cancun. They go for a big premium there! It's so danged hot. The parasol and the girly Frappe thing.

m.

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:20 pm

merry wrote:Hmm, Top Shelf ANYTHINGS are regularly more than 100 pesos, so I can't sympathize that you were that ripped off.

merry

Please what is top shelf about a Margarita made with El Jimador. I saw the bottle. It was a blended margarita not a shot of 30 year single malt scotch or
a glass of 1959 french red wine. So you would pay 95 pesos for a OK blended Margarita??

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:58 pm

I'm with Zed. A good local Margarita costs half that or less. This was a typical tourist trap with over the top prices, from the sound of things. Those are easy to locate and I'd guess Cancun would have plenty.

Choice: Bend over willingly, leave your money behind or stay away.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:04 pm

Zed, did you know the Margarita cost 95 pesos before you ordered it?

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:15 pm

viajero wrote:Zed, did you know the Margarita cost 95 pesos before you ordered it?

Nope my fault for not asking or looking.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:21 pm

gringal wrote:I'm with Zed. A good local Margarita costs half that or less. This was a typical tourist trap with over the top prices, from the sound of things. Those are easy to locate and I'd guess Cancun would have plenty.

Choice: Bend over willingly, leave your money behind or stay away.

I need to be fair. The only issue I had with the place was the food prices. The resort was beautiful and had wonderful art all over the place. The help was
well trained and truly hospitable. It must of had 50 acres of pools and water features. Different pools with different temperatures. I didn't care for the oh
sorry sir your bracelet isn't the right color to do this or go there but it was a very interesting experience for me overall.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:32 pm

Zedinmexico wrote:
viajero wrote:Zed, did you know the Margarita cost 95 pesos before you ordered it?
Nope my fault for not asking or looking.
Z

The value of a great margarita or martini or any other fine cocktail meant to bend the mind and induce pleasure after a delightful time spent absorbing it, is measured by the quality of the ingredients, not the price. Anyone prone to remembering the price of a great margarita is unworthy of having ingested it. Pearls to swine I say.

THE PERFECT MARGARITA
One bottle of Herradura Blanco Tequila
Limes
One bottle of Grand Marnier
One large two liter pitcher

Mix to one´s taste.

Relax

One other thing:

If one actually goes to an all-inclusive resort and expects fine cocktails included in the day charge or buys a timeshare in anything, one should not expect to be taken seriously about any opinion expressed about anything from then on.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:08 pm

Zedinmexico wrote:
merry wrote:Hmm, Top Shelf ANYTHINGS are regularly more than 100 pesos, so I can't sympathize that you were that ripped off.

merry

Please what is top shelf about a Margarita made with El Jimador. I saw the bottle. It was a blended margarita not a shot of 30 year single malt scotch or
a glass of 1959 french red wine. So you would pay 95 pesos for a OK blended Margarita??

Z

No Zed I drink Top Shelf margaritas. Maybe if you had squeaked to the people who served you this travesty, they would have given you another one free.

merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:18 pm

Dawg Said:
THE PERFECT MARGARITA
One bottle of Herradura Blanco Tequila
Limes
One bottle of Grand Marnier
One large two liter pitcher

Mix to one´s taste.

Maybe..... I like fresh squeezed lime juice in mine and sometimes I throw in fresh pureed strawberries and I like them frozen occasionally !
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:28 pm

I find it amazing that someone would bitch about the price of most anything when they willingly picked a coastal resort primarily designed to separate Gringos from their money! The fact that the OP tried to justify his criticism by stating that there was only $10 to $15 Pesos of El Jimador swill in each drink shows me that he knows nothing about computing pour costs or necessary profit margins. As a twice over former bartender, I was very leary of any customer who found it necessary to ask prices before they ordered - either you can afford it or go drink at home.

If you think $95MXN for a margarita is bad, try getting nailed for $80MXN for a Corona at a sidewalk cafe in San Miguel de Allende four years ago!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:44 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:I find it amazing that someone would bitch about the price of most anything when they willingly picked a coastal resort primarily designed to separate Gringos from their money! ...!

Nod. Sour grapes - a way to brag "hey I went to a fancy coastal resort" by complaining about something silly.

merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:58 am

merry wrote:
CheenaGringo wrote:I find it amazing that someone would bitch about the price of most anything when they willingly picked a coastal resort primarily designed to separate Gringos from their money! ...!

Nod. Sour grapes - a way to brag "hey I went to a fancy coastal resort" by complaining about something silly.

merry

I didn't pick the resort. Never been to a resort like this and never will go back again. We didn't pay for the resort we traded on RCI. As Freud say sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. I just noticed a stupid blended margarita with second rate tequila cost a lot of pesos.

God you folks are bitchy.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down