INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best Paying Jobs of the Future

+9
Trailrunner
Kiri
viajero
jrm30655
gringal
E-raq
CHILLIN
CheenaGringo
ferret
13 posters

Go down

Best Paying Jobs of the Future Empty Best Paying Jobs of the Future

Post by ferret Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:05 am

Reviving an old thread, where it was lamented about the jobs that have "disappeared" because of new technology...Here is an article that you can send to your Grandkids or Kids still in the school system.

http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/the-best-paying-jobs-of-the-future.html;_ylt=AhHjPDkSlX06X45eKme43cYiTZtG;_ylu=X3oDMTFqaTNjbzlmBG1pdANBcnRpY2xlIEJvZHkEcG9zAzMEc2VjA01lZGlhQXJ0aWNsZUJvZHlBc3NlbWJseQ--;_ylg=X3oDMTNhMmE3a2phBGludGwDY2EEbGFuZwNlbi1jYQRwc3RhaWQDOGJhYzk1NDctYTE2MS0zYWRkLWJkZWEtNTFhMjdkZDVhODhiBHBzdGNhdANwZXJzb25hbGZpbmFuY2V8Y2FyZWVycwRwdANzdG9yeXBhZ2U-;_ylv=3?page=1
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Best Paying Jobs of the Future Empty Re: Best Paying Jobs of the Future

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:09 am

Curious that only one job is outside of the medical field in one form or another?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:24 pm

By the time your Grandkids or Kids hear of this - it is already too late. That's the pattern I have seen. The future belongs to people who can fix things, big expensive things. Not 'they think they can fix it', or 'I saw a guy do it once', but someone with experience who can troubleshoot and correct. Whether it is an out of service multi-million $$ medical device, or an oil filed fire (remember Red Adair?). The tragedy is that few woman choose this path, it is considered 'guys' work.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:42 pm

ferret wrote:Reviving an old thread, where it was lamented about the jobs that have "disappeared" because of new technology...Here is an article that you can send to your Grandkids or Kids still in the school system.

http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/the-best-paying-jobs-of-the-future.html;_ylt=AhHjPDkSlX06X45eKme43cYiTZtG;_ylu=X3oDMTFqaTNjbzlmBG1pdANBcnRpY2xlIEJvZHkEcG9zAzMEc2VjA01lZGlhQXJ0aWNsZUJvZHlBc3NlbWJseQ--;_ylg=X3oDMTNhMmE3a2phBGludGwDY2EEbGFuZwNlbi1jYQRwc3RhaWQDOGJhYzk1NDctYTE2MS0zYWRkLWJkZWEtNTFhMjdkZDVhODhiBHBzdGNhdANwZXJzb25hbGZpbmFuY2V8Y2FyZWVycwRwdANzdG9yeXBhZ2U-;_ylv=3?page=1

Thanks ferret, so far my grand daughter is showing signs, albeit minor, of being of a mathematical and scientific bent. Who knows, boys will get into the picture at some point and perhaps temporarily muddy the waters.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:44 pm

Seems to me that (at the moment) there's a whole pile of boomers that need fixin'...hence the heavy emphasis on medical careers.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:15 pm

ferret wrote:Seems to me that (at the moment) there's a whole pile of boomers that need fixin'...hence the heavy emphasis on medical careers.

No kidding. There's also a whole lot of boomers that will not invest the time necessary to be proactive in their own medical care. Hell no, let's do it the easy way 5 to 15 prescription drugs a day. Ooop's got some side effects. Let's just fix that up with another little prescription, won't hurt a bit. Very Happy
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:27 pm

From what I have observed through the years, this type of list is only good for those who have already started their education in the promising fields. What typically happens to those who base their career decision on such a list is that by the time they complete the necessary education, these same fields are overloaded and only the very top of their classes stand a chance.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:11 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:From what I have observed through the years, this type of list is only good for those who have already started their education in the promising fields. What typically happens to those who base their career decision on such a list is that by the time they complete the necessary education, these same fields are overloaded and only the very top of their classes stand a chance.

Very true, have seen that myself. Maybe the best paying jobs in the future will be plumbing ( lotta scheisse going around these days) or being an electrician ( robberies, electric fences) , or for those hanging around Wall Street either bar tending or rope making. Just sayin'.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:27 pm

Plumbers do well, since poop goes on forever.

About those aging boomers: used to chuckle at the joggers as they pounded down the concrete, wondering how old they'd get before the orthopedic surgeon would relieve them of their money. Then there's the ones who wouldn't dream of touching a filtered ciggie; they'd only smoke the unfiltered wacky tabaccy.
Then there were the total vegans, looking like righteous ghosts.

Prize moments: Son brings new total vegan girlfriend to dinner at mom's, who's cooked up her famous meat lasagna. Oy.
Mom: "oh, I'm sorry...can I make you a cheese sandwich?" (look of horror from girl) Well, er uh......and so on.
Son, looking defensive: "Oh, I forgot to tell you...."
Appropriate response: sunnicide. Those were the days.
Rolling Eyes

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by jrm30655 Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:15 pm

I wouldn't touch the medical field now. Too many regulations, too little money. My guess is that in a decade, the medical profession will be getting government checks.

Repair of appliances, autos and houses looks good. No real way to automate that.

Barbers and beauticians have been around forever. So have butchers, although I saw an automated plant that cut up pigs.

Cops and firemen have been around forever but teachers are on the way out (internet).

Truck drivers, bus drivers and taxi drivers will vanish.

jrm30655
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:30 pm

jrm30655 wrote:I wouldn't touch the medical field now. Too many regulations, too little money. My guess is that in a decade, the medical profession will be getting government checks.

Repair of appliances, autos and houses looks good. No real way to automate that.

Barbers and beauticians have been around forever. So have butchers, although I saw an automated plant that cut up pigs.

Cops and firemen have been around forever but teachers are on the way out (internet).

Then who's going to drive the trucks,buses and taxis?
Rolling Eyes

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiri Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:53 pm

viajero wrote:
jrm30655 wrote:I wouldn't touch the medical field now. Too many regulations, too little money. My guess is that in a decade, the medical profession will be getting government checks.

Rolling Eyes

Auto Revolution: A Promising Future for Self-Driving Cars
Kiri
Kiri
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:05 pm

jrm:

Then why have there been numerous articles in business journals about a truck driver shortage? Just two such recent articles:
http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/morning_call/2012/11/looming-shortage-of-truck-drivers-in.html
http://blog.pe.com/economy/2012/11/07/logistics-truck-driver-shortage-could-get-much-worse/

Apparently the shortage is so severe that a number of the larger trucking companies have been forced to open their own schools!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:21 pm

Public Safety is always good - cops, fire, EMS. No matter what the economy looks like, no matter who is in political power, no matter what the local politics are, when the calls come in the doors roll up and the trucks roll out. 24/7/365 And the money can be pretty good.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:30 pm

Kiri wrote:
viajero wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Auto Revolution: A Promising Future for Self-Driving Cars

I'm still waiting for the flying cars they were promising in the 1950's.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:37 pm

Here you go: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2268402/Flying-car-developer-says-hes-80-million-closer-making-sci-fi-dream-reality.html#axzz2JtUMrOY1

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:43 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:Here you go: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2268402/Flying-car-developer-says-hes-80-million-closer-making-sci-fi-dream-reality.html#axzz2JtUMrOY1
All he needs is a few more investers to make that dream reality,maybe he should pay Ajijic a visit.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by jrm30655 Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:59 pm

viajero wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Google already has a car certified for driverless in California. Too expensive for commuters but perfect for taxis, busses and trucks.

Imagine a truck that could drive 24/7/365. Even if you just ran it long haul expressway and had a driver do the local delivery. We already basically do that with trains now.

Bus routes are great for this. So are taxi services.

Airplanes are already basically that way. You can taxi one to the runway and never touch it until it is back on the ground.

jrm30655
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by arbon Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:59 am

I'm waiting for the driverless Pizza delivery.
arbon
arbon
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Humour

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:04 am

Plumbers for sure. A friend told me about something he saw on TV. Plumbers in Boston making $ 300 K a year.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:25 am

viajero wrote:
CheenaGringo wrote:Here you go: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2268402/Flying-car-developer-says-hes-80-million-closer-making-sci-fi-dream-reality.html#axzz2JtUMrOY1
All he needs is a few more investers to make that dream reality,maybe he should pay Ajijic a visit.

Hate to mention this but it seems that Ajijic is no longer the sucker haven of the planet. An awakening has occurred. Thanks of course, in part, to B.D. and L.M.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by arbon Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:28 am

joec wrote:Plumbers for sure. A friend told me about something he saw on TV. Plumbers in Boston making $ 300 K a year.

That's gross.
arbon
arbon
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Humour

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:33 am

L.M. ???

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:46 am

joec wrote:L.M. ???

Lil Mama

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by jrm30655 Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:22 pm

joec wrote:Plumbers for sure. A friend told me about something he saw on TV. Plumbers in Boston making $ 300 K a year.

There's the old joke:

A lawyer in NYC has a plumbing emergency in the middle of the night and calls a plumber. The plumber works for an hour and presents a bill.

The lawyer looks at the bill and explodes "Good God man. I'm a partner with the biggest law firm in NYC and I can't bill this per hour".

The plumber replies "I couldn't when I was a partner there either"

May no longer be a joke.....

jrm30655
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down