INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Driving Directions to SMA please

+2
CheenaGringo
Guiness
6 posters

Go down

Driving Directions to SMA please Empty Driving Directions to SMA please

Post by Guiness Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:29 am

We are heading over to San Miguel de Allende soon. Can anyone give us the easiest, most direct route to take via toll highways.
Looking at the map it appears there are quite a few routes................
Thanks in advance,

Guiness
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Driving Directions to SMA please Empty Re: Driving Directions to SMA please

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:37 am

From our experience, I cannot think of a route that would be toll roads the entire way. We have made this drive a number of times and my suggestions follow:

Option 1
[img]Driving Directions to SMA please Sma110[/img]

Driving directions: https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Chapala,+JAL,+Mexico&daddr=Cuitzeo+del+Porvenir,+Mexico+to:San+Miguel+de+Allende,+Guanajuato,+Mexico&hl=en&sll=19.82485,-101.556244&sspn=0.654988,1.234589&geocode=FWS1NQEdZXbZ-Sm3TB93sUAvhDF_nO84dDjTuQ%3BFY-0MAEd4Ln4-SlrLwVlt-IshDEbtuqiWUTJlw%3BFfcfPwEdRcb--SkPvHGYr1ErhDGksAcdAwExZQ&oq=Cuit,+Mexico&mra=ls&t=m&z=8

Option 2
[img]Driving Directions to SMA please Sma210[/img]

Driving directions: https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Chapala,+JAL,+Mexico&daddr=21.2067686,-101.907225+to:San+Miguel+de+Allende,+Guanajuato,+Mexico&hl=en&sll=20.393615,-101.98817&sspn=2.61019,4.938354&geocode=FWS1NQEdZXbZ-Sm3TB93sUAvhDF_nO84dDjTuQ%3BFfCWQwEd5wTt-SnFC_BMw9orhDG-EDbiw_Ryog%3BFfcfPwEdRcb--SkPvHGYr1ErhDGksAcdAwExZQ&oq=Cuit,+Mexico&mra=pr&t=m&z=8&via=1

I hesitate to say that one route is better than the other since it depends on personal preference and driving habits. Option 2 shows as a slightly faster route but one has to deal with getting through Guadalajara. For me, it is a toss of the coin. YMMV

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:18 pm

I would disagree with the routes chosen by Neil. Instead, I recommend picking up the Guadalajara-Mexico City freeway at Ocotlan as he suggests if you are driving fom Lakeside but exiting the Guadalajara-Mexico City freeway at La Piedad and driving through Pénjamo to Irapuato and then taking the freeway to San Miguel. La Piedad used to be a serious bottleneck but I believe toll roads have now supplanted congested city streets in La Piedad and know for sure that one can bypass Pénjamo and Irapuato on toll roads and then on to San Miguel over excellent highways.

Perhaps someone reading this can tell us if the libramiento around La Piedad has been finished to alleviate any traffic congestion through that town. Since we moved to Southern Mexico we don´t go up there any more.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:32 pm

Dawg:

Both Google Maps and Punto a Punto recommend the route that you have suggested. I chose to revise that route since the poster specifically asked for toll roads and also because I couldn't claim any experience with that route.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:37 pm

hound dog wrote:I would disagree with the routes chosen by Neil. Instead, I recommend picking up the Guadalajara-Mexico City freeway at Ocotlan as he suggests if you are driving fom Lakeside but exiting the Guadalajara-Mexico City freeway at La Piedad and driving through Pénjamo to Irapuato and then taking the freeway to San Miguel. La Piedad used to be a serious bottleneck but I believe toll roads have now supplanted congested city streets in La Piedad and know for sure that one can bypass Pénjamo and Irapuato on toll roads and then on to San Miguel over excellent highways.

Perhaps someone reading this can tell us if the libramiento around La Piedad has been finished to alleviate any traffic congestion through that town. Since we moved to Southern Mexico we don´t go up there any more.
We drove through the new libramiento last week, bypassing that hellish bottleneck called La Piedad,what an improvement,39 peso cuota,I'd have paid 139 gladly,we make that trip several times a year to visit family in Valle de Santiago.
I agree with your route to SMA.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by coffeeguy Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:50 pm

Have driven this route a bunch of times, including recently. The best directions we have found are from our friend Ruth/Bisbee Gal on TOB:

http://www.chapala.com/webboard/index.php?showtopic=38415&hl=%2Bdriving+%2Bmiguel

coffeeguy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hensley Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:04 am

We did both ways, went going through La Barca and La Piedad and it took us 5 1/2 hours, came back via the quotas through Guadalajara and it took us 5 hours, I do not speed but found the return trip so much less stressful.
Hensley
Hensley
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down