INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MAJOR problem with Squirrels

+16
Trevor "poncho" Armstrong
Chapalagringa
CHILLIN
DonPito
slainte39
viajero
binky
kipissippi
hound dog
simpsca
Zedinmexico
brigitte
shirley
CheenaGringo
hockables
Jim W
20 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

MAJOR problem with Squirrels - Page 2 Empty Re: MAJOR problem with Squirrels

Post by Jim W Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:44 am

SQUIRRELS ARE WINNING!!!! MAJOR problem with Squirrels - Page 2 87465 Does anyone have a live trap I can borrow? I'd like to relocate them.

Thanks in advance!

Jim W

Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:42 am

Jim W wrote:SQUIRRELS ARE WINNING!!!! MAJOR problem with Squirrels - Page 2 87465 Does anyone have a live trap I can borrow? I'd like to relocate them.

Thanks in advance!

Jim W

Jim, check with the vet, Pepe Magaña in Riberas. I borrowed a live trap from him to catch some stray feral cats and all I wound up with is some 'possums. I guess the cats were too smart.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:46 am

slainte39 wrote:
Jim W wrote:SQUIRRELS ARE WINNING!!!! MAJOR problem with Squirrels - Page 2 87465 Does anyone have a live trap I can borrow? I'd like to relocate them.

Thanks in advance!

Jim W

Jim, check with the vet, Pepe Magaña in Riberas. I borrowed a live trap from him to catch some stray feral cats and all I wound up with is some 'possums. I guess the cats were too smart.

LOL,Thank you Slainte, I'll check with him. Live traps aren't available for sale in Mexico....so I've been told, takes a government permit.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:56 am

Jim W wrote:
slainte39 wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Jim W

LOL,Thank you Slainte, I'll check with him. Live traps aren't available for sale in Mexico....so I've been told, takes a government permit.

Heads up on the possums down here. Theysa the furriest thing I ever saw complaired to em in Oregun ( said with my maine accent). Almost stepped on one in my pool tomb when cleaning out sand filters. My leg is still here so they act the same as up north but I am not use to that face. Looks like those wierd owls we have up north. Anyhoo my maid said they were harmless and here to eat the avacados. So if you get a animal in your trap that looks kinda like a possum but not quite right...... Can't remember the name anybody know in Spanish?

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:02 am

¿¿Tejon?? long tail??....just a guess.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:08 am

A government permit for a squirrel trap?You crack me up Jim,maybe Spencer can help you with the paperwork.
Here's an idea,buy a bird cage,put some bait in it and prop the the door up with a stick tied to some fishing line that runs to to your porch,get comfortable and when you see them go in yank on the line,then relocate them to Los Arroyos Sur.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:17 am

viajero wrote:A government permit for a squirrel trap?You crack me up Jim,maybe Spencer can help you with the paperwork.
Here's an idea,buy a bird cage,put some bait in it and prop the the door up with a stick tied to some fishing line that runs to to your porch,get comfortable and when you see them go in yank on the line,then relocate them to Los Arroyos Sur.

TFF, Chris, I'm serious about the permit. I volunteered with the Wildlife group here for 4 years, rescuing and relocating animals. NOB we could buy them at most hardware stores, here NADA.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by DonPito Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:34 pm

Jim W wrote:
slainte39 wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Jim W

Really? http://listado.mercadolibre.com.mx/trampa-para-gato-tlacuache-o-pequeños-animales

DonPito
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:54 pm

Thanks Don, Maybe it's just in Jalisco? I can't locate them anywhere in GDL.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:24 pm

Call in an exterminator. They will have live traps, and up and down ladders like magic. In my experience, if you have squirrels, that means no one is baiting for rats/mice. They are too close to the same size. You can't have one without the other - country life.

I mentioned Jurgens, whose is a general contractor working out of the handymail office, he is fully bilingual, seems to know everyone, and advertises pest control on his card. He seems like would know about 'green' techniques.

If HD can mention Maynard Kreps, I can mention that DO NOT call Carl Spackler Enterprises Inc (this is little more hard to get).
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:21 pm

Get a dog...we love watching the squirrels run by on the power lines.
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : all natural

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:33 pm

Chapalagringa wrote:Get a dog...we love watching the squirrels run by on the power lines.

Would love to, however, would be cruel to the dog, with our schedule, besides we have our friend that passed cat, until we can find him a home. Deb dropped his cat @ Pepe's gave him a donation, felt guilty, went back and picked him up 2 hours later...and I'm not a cat person. Now enjoying itchy watery eyes. Surte
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:53 pm

Jim W wrote:
Chapalagringa wrote:Get a dog...we love watching the squirrels run by on the power lines.

Would love to, however, would be cruel to the dog, with our schedule, besides we have our friend that passed cat, until we can find him a home. Deb dropped his cat @ Pepe's gave him a donation, felt guilty, went back and picked him up 2 hours later...and I'm not a cat person. Now enjoying itchy watery eyes. Surte

aww Jim... that kitty loves you!! and he might become your squirrel's best friend!!
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:10 pm

Squirrels? I cannot believe that I am reading this. This Alabama boy knows that intelligent squirrels hang out around pecan trees and I have never seen a pecan tree around Lakeside so these must be some sort of flying rodents. Come to think of it, I guess squirrels are acrobatic rodents.

Back in the 1950s when Dawg was a lad in Alabama, the way one paved the way to a secure retirement was to plant pecan trees while still young and those trees, which took a number of years to prolifically bear fruit, provided a nice and usually dependable income for old farts later in life. Squirrels were the main problem for those dependent upon the pecan trees as squirrels love pecans.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:33 pm

I've seen squirrel traps in Racquet Club. They have a problem with ground squirrels I guess, so we were told. Squirrels stay on the power lines around our house, avoiding our dogs I suppose, great entertainment. Sorry about the eyes, you could try contacts.
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : all natural

Back to top Go down

Post by Trevor "poncho" Armstrong Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:33 am

you want to borrow our two rotties? they like to chase or growl at anything near our yard. And they are also really great at snuggling and stealing my bed! (thanks to the wife letting them up when im not there!)
Trevor
Trevor "poncho" Armstrong
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : sarcastic s.o.b

Back to top Go down

Post by sampati Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:37 am

When we lived in Lomas del Manglar we were overrun with squirrels in our sloping back yard. We were doing some remodeling in our house and our construction crew would bring squirrel traps to work and trap squirrels all day. They would put them in 5 gallon buckets and take them home at the end of the day. One day I asked them what they did with all those squirrels and they said they ate them. MAJOR problem with Squirrels - Page 2 374777 If you have any Mexican workers/gardeners around ask them to trap the squirrels for you, they have a real knack for that. Worked for us.
sampati
sampati
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:28 am

Jim maybe you could sell them to Dawg as a substitute for his "chipmunk stew".

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:54 am

GREAT IDEA Slainte....rather I'll make them a gift. These guys eat Papaya, Avocado's, Oranges.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:08 am

Coming soon to a store near you: Jim W's Squirrel Sausage! Investor packets available.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:43 am

CheenaGringo wrote:Coming soon to a store near you: Jim W's Squirrel Sausage! Investor packets available.

Naw, Neil maybe call it "Little Weanie Sausages", since BD ruined the other name. Basta
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by little italy Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:02 pm

sampati wrote:When we lived in Lomas del Manglar we were overrun with squirrels in our sloping back yard. We were doing some remodeling in our house and our construction crew would bring squirrel traps to work and trap squirrels all day. They would put them in 5 gallon buckets and take them home at the end of the day. One day I asked them what they did with all those squirrels and they said they ate them. MAJOR problem with Squirrels - Page 2 374777 If you have any Mexican workers/gardeners around ask them to trap the squirrels for you, they have a real knack for that. Worked for us.

We were poor folk when I was younger and my Dad use to shoot squirrels, rabbit. We also had frog legs, rattle snake and yep they all taste like chicken. We ate mostly vegetables as we had a huge garden. Sounds yucky I know MAJOR problem with Squirrels - Page 2 374777

little italy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:48 pm

Since Sampati is from Vallarta now - she should be warned that there are a couple of boys who work a scam in the hiking hills there. They have an Iguana on a piece of twine and they are pulling the poor creature down the trail. The gringos on holiday, especially families, stop, take pictures, etc. They ask if it is a pet. The boys say no - we are going to eat it!! We are hungry and can't afford tacos. The gringos are typically horrified and give them 50 pesos if they let the iguana go. They agree, and everybody walks away happy. What the gringos don't know is that boys go back and catch the same, or another Iquana, to scam the next group!
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:12 pm

CHILLIN wrote:Since Sampati is from Vallarta now - she should be warned that there are a couple of boys who work a scam in the hiking hills there. They have an Iguana on a piece of twine and they are pulling the poor creature down the trail. The gringos on holiday, especially families, stop, take pictures, etc. They ask if it is a pet. The boys say no - we are going to eat it!! We are hungry and can't afford tacos. The gringos are typically horrified and give them 50 pesos if they let the iguana go. They agree, and everybody walks away happy. What the gringos don't know is that boys go back and catch the same, or another Iquana, to scam the next group!

Now that you know if you see kids doing that just lick your lips and offer to help cook it right there on the trail LOL
giving your best overacting routine. Trust me they don't taste good. Had to eat a reptile for a survival desert course
I went to. Not very good but very very chewy. Did not taste like chicken.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by sampati Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:01 am

CHILLIN wrote:Since Sampati is from Vallarta now - she should be warned that there are a couple of boys who work a scam in the hiking hills there. They have an Iguana on a piece of twine and they are pulling the poor creature down the trail. The gringos on holiday, especially families, stop, take pictures, etc. They ask if it is a pet. The boys say no - we are going to eat it!! We are hungry and can't afford tacos. The gringos are typically horrified and give them 50 pesos if they let the iguana go. They agree, and everybody walks away happy. What the gringos don't know is that boys go back and catch the same, or another Iquana, to scam the next group!

I have not seen this scam since I do not spend any time in the hiking hills, but I have seen many Iguana's on the beaches being used as props for picture taking. Poor Iguana's here take a beating. Scams for money in Mexico are everywhere. When we first moved to Mexico we gave away a good part of our monthly income to all kinds of beggars, kids, old women and men, etc., but we now give only to those that are truly needy and we have learned to help only certain people. Yep, the gringos on vacation do take it in the shorts when these scams are put on them. Still feel sorry for the Iguana's tho. I see one almost daily in the trees crossing over the river and he has the name "Beto" written on his body. Thumbs down
sampati
sampati
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms Mac Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:05 am

I was raised in the country and learned to hunt squirrels. They are delicious cooked with onions, mushrooms and gravy.

Ms Mac
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next