INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Earthquake

+27
sambrit10
lucky
Mad_Max
merry
brercottage385
CheenaGringo
Smartalex
LMarkoya
papa chango
GBATRUCKS
sparks
Milena
ferret
gravy
manymoonsago
Mexican Yankee
brigitte
Grizzy
johninajijic
juanrey
Big Daddy Mexico
kipissippi
solajijic
Jim W
Southbound
CanuckBob
Trailrunner
31 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Earthquake - Page 3 Empty Re: Earthquake

Post by Mad_Max Fri May 18, 2012 9:51 pm

merry wrote:
GBATRUCKS wrote:
brercottage385 wrote:Anyone know where the epicenter was located - I remember a devastating quake in Guadalajara about 20-25 years ago that flattened large areas of the city. We ahve been having a couple of felt rumbles up here in No Cal recently too

RIGHT HERE...READ THE COMMENTS ABOVE: http://www2.ssn.unam.mx/website/jsp/ultimos.jsp.

On that link I get "Estado HTTP 404 - /website/jsp/ultimos.jsp."

A clue would be the period at the end as internet addresses do not end in a period. Try this http://www2.ssn.unam.mx/website/jsp/ultimos.jsp

No. of Event: 11 (B)
Date: 17/05/2012
Time: 22:07:59
Latitude: 20.34
Length: -103.42
Depth: 15
Magnitude: 4.5
Epicenter:
6 km north of JOCOTEPEC, JAL

Mad_Max
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Fri May 18, 2012 10:05 pm

Thank you kindly, Mad Max. I am sure I am not the only one who had that problem, especially since I am a former Web Professional(tm).

Merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by lucky Fri May 18, 2012 10:17 pm

i expect that if it was a meteorite that caused the earthquake, then the locusts will be showing up right after the solar eclipse on sunday.

or, as R.E.M. said: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0GFRcFm-aY

lucky
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Fri May 18, 2012 10:24 pm

it starts with an earthquake, birds and snakes, an aeroplane...

Thanks for that link.

Merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by juanrey Fri May 18, 2012 11:40 pm

ferret wrote:It did not feel like a normal earthquake to me...the whoosh of wind, noise and straight up and down movement all makes me think that a meteorite could possibly explain it. Meteorites can be the cause of earthquakes.
Anyone else smell the sulphur afterwards?

I'm not totally sure of the meteroite theory; however, YES I did smell the sulfur. The earthquake hit at 10:08pm, I drove some friends home at 11pm.
I drove from the libriemento to Chapala and back to Doñas Donuts and from about Walmart to Doñas, on the carretera we smelled a gas leak smell.
And it was quite strong and we couldn't for the life of us figure out what it was. It was hugging low, because once I started up the mountainside it no longer smelled. Hmmmmm
juanrey
juanrey
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : George Carlin

https://sites.google.com/site/ouradventureinchapala/

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat May 19, 2012 12:02 am

Thank you juanrey. I was starting to think someone was slipping koolaid into my diet coke. :)
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sat May 19, 2012 12:25 am

juanrey - Could easily have been a ruptured gas line. Propane gas is very heavy and would hug the ground. The reason for many boat explosions, propane leak goes into the hull below deck and a spark ignites it.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by sambrit10 Sat May 19, 2012 7:27 am

ferret wrote:It did not feel like a normal earthquake to me...the whoosh of wind, noise and straight up and down movement all makes me think that a meteorite could possibly explain it. Meteorites can be the cause of earthquakes.
Anyone else smell the sulphur afterwards?

Interestingly enough we had a major meteorite come down in California (near Lake Tahoe) just last month (apr 22). Made a huge bright trail in the sky in the daylight, then a VERY loud bang, but no shake as far as I know, except the window rattling that comes from a sonic boom. The bang was from the superheating as it came through the atmosphere and exploded, not from hitting the ground. People are now finding bits of it .. usually less than fist-sized and apparently worth about $10,000 each. What I'm trying to say is, most meteorites don't actually last through the atmosphere to hit the ground, and when they do, the explosion creates a crater and flattens things.

Also, in reference to the huge earthquake that hit Guad in 1985 ... it was actually epicentered near Alcapulco and the city it took out was Mexico City, not Guad. Mexico City is on a lakebed that amplifies seismic waves and 10,000 people died. In Guad a church collapsed and 25 people died.

Not trying to sound like a know-it-all (although God knows I'm guilty of that sometimes!!) but I do like to stick to the facts.

sambrit10
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat May 19, 2012 7:31 am

What some people know helps the rest of us learn and grow. Thanks for your input.
Another potential theory...it was a huge underground meth lab that exploded. All of the cartels had collaborated on this one and a massive rally was taking place. All cartel members died in the explosion.
Ah well, I can dream can't I?
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by juanrey Sat May 19, 2012 8:04 am

johninajijic wrote:juanrey - Could easily have been a ruptured gas line. Propane gas is very heavy and would hug the ground. The reason for many boat explosions, propane leak goes into the hull below deck and a spark ignites it.

That was our first thought as we drove down the carretera and smelled the sulphurous smell.
Don't know, but it sure was strong.
juanrey
juanrey
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : George Carlin

https://sites.google.com/site/ouradventureinchapala/

Back to top Go down

Post by manymoonsago Sat May 19, 2012 8:43 am

Sambrit10 -- I am with you all the way on your post, including the part about liking to stick to the facts. I too don't want to sound like a know-it-all but sometimes I just can't help myself...probably because part of my DNA came from the "show me" state (Missouri.)

Ferret: I love the idea of a giant underground meth lab going up in flames.
The image of that has already made my day and it's early yet!
manymoonsago
manymoonsago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Ironic; Over the Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by papa chango Sat May 19, 2012 9:29 am

Since the so called earthquake has not shown up on the USGS maps yet, I think that the meteorite theory maybe valid.

On the other board somebody suggested that possibly it was a meth lab explosion since it was centered over near Las Trojes which many people think is "mafia" territory. If so, it must have been a hell of a big meth lab explosion for people over on this side of the mountains to feel it. Actually I think the poster of this was trying to make a joke.
Earthquake - Page 3 374777

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what else is said about the event.
papa chango
papa chango
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : wit and sarcasm Cheech and Chong

http://lakechapalaexpat.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat May 19, 2012 10:44 am

For you "conspiracy theorists", apparently the aliens are sending projectiles at Mexico:
http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?act=url&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=es&tl=en&twu=1&u=http://www.informador.com.mx/primera/2012/377294/6/puebla-y-veracruz-investigan-reportes-de-supuesto-meteorito.htm&usg=ALkJrhjTvGgt0QFhNFYktb0Jld-VvSVeYg

Get ready as your friends and relatives NOB will now be questioning your safety from space objects!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Sat May 19, 2012 10:51 am

juanrey wrote:
johninajijic wrote:juanrey - Could easily have been a ruptured gas line. Propane gas is very heavy and would hug the ground. The reason for many boat explosions, propane leak goes into the hull below deck and a spark ignites it.

That was our first thought as we drove down the carretera and smelled the sulphurous smell.
Don't know, but it sure was strong.
. I agree and the earthquake could have started a fire and boom. I sa pics of a meth lab and the one I saw was huge. Lab when they blow make a huge explosion
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat May 19, 2012 11:00 am

Things are sure dull at our house. Was sitting in the living room. Didn't hear or smell a thing, but felt two small jolts. Reporting from downtown Ajijic .

How about it was that observation space station taking off.....you know, the one that sits at the bottom of the lake and little light pods hop out and fly around from time to time? Works for me.
Pass me some of that koolaid. Takes my mind off the murders.
Beer

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat May 19, 2012 1:25 pm

The aliens are leaving? Hell, maybe it's time to pack up and go too. Pass the koolaid. Somebody beam me up.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Humbleclectic Sun May 20, 2012 9:54 am

I think it would be fun if it were a meteorite, AND the hole it made shaped like the Virgin of Guadalupe...A sacred place that would draw many visitors and it would be named "Guadalupeland"....Rides for the kids, meteoricycles, holyhilados,,, and many jobs for our Mexican friends and neighbors...

Humbleclectic
Humbleclectic

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sun May 20, 2012 10:06 am

Humbleclectic wrote:I think it would be fun if it were a meteorite, AND the hole it made shaped like the Virgin of Guadalupe...A sacred place that would draw many visitors and it would be named "Guadalupeland"....Rides for the kids, meteoricycles, holyhilados,,, and many jobs for our Mexican friends and neighbors...

You did go through the imagination line twice right? Wish I could think like that but I can't. How about giant Hologram of the Virgin in the middle of the hole.
Hmmm if you are Catholic better leave this along its drifting toward a mortal sin or something like that. :-)

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3