INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

After Tonights Meeting on Ajijic Plaza Please Post the Facts

+28
Smartalex
Zedinmexico
2mexicos
GBATRUCKS
viajero
casi nada
slainte39
espĂ­ritu del lago
Trailrunner
Mad_Max
brigitte
LMarkoya
IslandGirl
Mainecoons
fastrak
Big Daddy Mexico
Ms.Thang
Grizzy
David
NoTengoNada
CheenaGringo
hound dog
gringal
manymoonsago
hockables
solajijic
Irish Gal
johninajijic
32 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

After Tonights Meeting on Ajijic Plaza Please Post the Facts Empty After Tonights Meeting on Ajijic Plaza Please Post the Facts

Post by johninajijic Wed May 16, 2012 12:48 pm

I hope someone who goes to the meeting tonight will take a pen and notebook and take down the facts. After the meeting on Ajijic Plaza, I hope someone will post the facts ONLY.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

After Tonights Meeting on Ajijic Plaza Please Post the Facts Empty Re: After Tonights Meeting on Ajijic Plaza Please Post the Facts

Post by Irish Gal Wed May 16, 2012 1:59 pm

Why not show up at the meeting yourself so you can hear it first-hand? That way you will hear the "fact" only.

Irish Gal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

After Tonights Meeting on Ajijic Plaza Please Post the Facts Empty Re: After Tonights Meeting on Ajijic Plaza Please Post the Facts

Post by solajijic Wed May 16, 2012 2:03 pm

You aren't going to hear any "facts".

solajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : "I a, a practical woman. Sentiment only takes one so far. At some point, practicality must enter the room."

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Wed May 16, 2012 2:03 pm

Irish Gal wrote:Why not show up at the meeting yourself so you can hear it first-hand? That way you will hear the "fact" only.

Original Thinking like that would get U Kicked Off Of the Other Board!!
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by manymoonsago Wed May 16, 2012 2:27 pm

Okay, so it's irritating to be asked for a report to people who could be there and choose otherwise, but there are people who would be there but for physical impairment, responsibility for others who are impaired, or serious commitments that cannot be canceled on such short notice.
manymoonsago
manymoonsago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Ironic; Over the Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed May 16, 2012 2:32 pm

manymoonsago wrote:Okay, so it's irritating to be asked for a report to people who could be there and choose otherwise, but there are people who would be there but for physical impairment, responsibility for others who are impaired, or serious commitments that cannot be canceled on such short notice.

Exactly. Cut a little slack for the other people in your world. Can't hurt.

Cynically, I agree with Solajic about whether anyone will be any the wiser after the meeting, but at least they will have a chance to express their concerns.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Wed May 16, 2012 5:30 pm

"....Cynically, I agree with Solajic about whether anyone will be any the wiser after the meeting, but at least they will have a chance to express their concerns.[/quote]

They´ll be barking at the moon.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Wed May 16, 2012 5:45 pm

Irish Gal wrote:Why not show up at the meeting yourself so you can hear it first-hand? That way you will hear the "fact" only.

Why are you too lazy to post it or are you not going? Thanks for your smart remark because I'm Handicapped and cannot go! razberry
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Wed May 16, 2012 5:46 pm

manymoonsago wrote:Okay, so it's irritating to be asked for a report to people who could be there and choose otherwise, but there are people who would be there but for physical impairment, responsibility for others who are impaired, or serious commitments that cannot be canceled on such short notice.
Thanks.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed May 16, 2012 5:50 pm

John:

Sorry to hear that you are now housebound and no longer have the ability to go out. I guess the dinner group will have to dine at your house from now on?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Wed May 16, 2012 6:03 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:John:
Sorry to hear that you are now housebound and no longer have the ability to go out. I guess the dinner group will have to dine at your house from now on?

I didn't say I was housebound, but I have difficulty walking and cannot stand for long periods of time. The Dinner Group will go on. Special people will still be invited here.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by NoTengoNada Wed May 16, 2012 9:04 pm

Well, we learned a lot here.

NoTengoNada

Back to top Go down

Post by David Wed May 16, 2012 10:10 pm

OK newbie, did you got to the meeting? Got anything to report? Anybody?
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzy Wed May 16, 2012 10:14 pm

I did not take notes and I am not sure I bought the party line but there was a lot of promises to be there for us, the Police Chief wants to know about any unusual happenings, etc.
He outlined the events of the bodies being found last week and the arrests.
He will not report back to the public every time an arrest or an apprehension is made.
He wants everyone to report anything suspicious and is committed to doing his best to keep the area safe.
He wants everyone to carry on going to work, school as normal.
There is no curfew.
There were no threats against women and children.
Oddly enough the man held overnight who had his dog shot reported back that he was told gringos are not the target.
There were no kidnappings in Joco today or yesterday.

It was what we wanted to hear but I doubt anyone really believed it. Kudos to him for facing the people. I don't envy police in Mexico at the best of times.

They were handing out some kind of a brochure but I didn't get one nor did I know anyone there with one that I could look at. It might have been the designated cell numbers.

Many of the questions asked were specific to events. A doctor was pulled over in front of walmart with her 12 year old daughter and told her vehicle was suspicious. They patted down or searched her daughter but not her.
I had trouble hearing the translation when the questions were asked so missed a lot. I think she or another person asked how to tell if a roadblock was genuine or a fake.

The answer sounded like "when we do a roadblock we are obvious about it". Again I could only hear parts of it.

I hope someone else who was closer to the front can fill in the details I missed.
Grizzy
Grizzy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : mandatory

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Wed May 16, 2012 10:52 pm

Well, at first it was very difficult to hear what El Comandante was saying , it started out kind of like a pep rally but without the enthusiasm. Contreras made a considerable effort to point out what WE were doing wrong and what we should be doing (taking precautions, not listen to rumors....reporting crimes to the MP), that got a big roar from the crowd. . .and that together we could beat this thing Rah Rah Rah.
. After a short while things got more real and Right off the bat someone asked about the kidnapping of two real estate agents in Ajijic... the story was on TV news, GDL noticias, and printed in a special edition of a newspaper but Contreras flat out lied and said ...and I quote "Yo no se nada de eso"...which got a rise out of the crowd but he rushed over that and into chastising the crowd about rumors on facebook and social media. Of course someone pointed out that the police had remained quiet about everything that was happening and how were we supposed to get information? He said that all questions posted on the Oficial Gobierno Chapala facebook page would be answered promptly and the Chapala Gobierno web site was just a fountain of information as well.
Contreras did say that an American had been "deprived of his liberty for a few hours and then released. I could not hear the details of this.
After a while things got pretty heated, Contreras got pissed which increased the decibel level of his voice considerably and everyone could hear all that was said after that. There was a translator and I thought she did an excellent job, and a tough job it is.
Someone asked if women and children were being targeted, with carefully chosen words he said "at this time, no" . And he reported that there had been no more kidnappings either. This inspired a lot of shouting and and someone behind me even made an insult to Contreras....an insult that made reference to his mother.....which was thankfully lost in the crowd,
Someone asked why the president of the municipality was not there and Contreras said that he did not need to be there because this was a matter of security and did not concern the president. Big Boo on that one.
People complained of being harrased and brutalized by the police (local, federal and state) . Again Contreras made no real comment on this except to advise that victims make note of the number on the trucks and report the incident. someone pointed out that the numbers on the trucks are often covered up and he really didn't have an answer for that one.
The overall attitude of the Mexicans was one of hostility and lack of credibility toward Contreras and company. The Americans were polite , but some were visibly indignant when Contreras suggested they make more of an effort to learn Spanish so that they could know what was going on, but to is credit he said this with all the diplomacy possible.
The cell phones purchased by CSI for the patrol in each area with a direct # that people can make a direct call and summon the patrulla sounded like a great idea, especially when Linda Fossie said that a help would arrive within 3 minutes. People werte incredulous that they were being given the cell phone #'s of actual policemen but lined up in a disorganized and lengthy line to get their stickers or magnets with the numbers on them. ....This is going to be painful to watch, is my prediction but I hope they surprise me. I think this plan has great potential, both to succeed or fail in a big way. We shall see. I;m sure I left out a lot of highpoints but , I couldn;t hear and kept moving around. Maybe some others could elaborate, I know for some people events like this are very difficult to attend....few benches and half of them occupied by 10 year olds.
Dale Palfrey was there so there should be a good story in the Guadalajara reporter, but if there are any specifics that you are dying to know I;ll answer if iI can.

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Daddy Mexico Wed May 16, 2012 11:03 pm

Thanks to both of you for your effort and reporting of the events. Not that I agree with what was said. Appreciate the effort.
flag waver
Big Daddy Mexico
Big Daddy Mexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

http://www.bigdaddyssausages.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Wed May 16, 2012 11:55 pm

Big Daddy Mexico wrote:Thanks to both of you for your effort and reporting of the events. Not that I agree with what was said. Appreciate the effort.
flag waver

What was said that you disagree with...Would like to hear your perspective and what you gathered from the meeting from your point of view...

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Thu May 17, 2012 12:17 am

Grizzy and Ms. Thang - Thank you for your lengthy and detailed reports.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by manymoonsago Thu May 17, 2012 12:24 am

An unqualified thanks for reporting on the meeting!

Perhaps Contreras responded "Yo no se nada de eso" because the police action took place in GDL - not in his jurisdiction and possibly never reported to his office.

Was anything said about the Rancho del Oro raid which, again, was not conducted by local police?
manymoonsago
manymoonsago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Ironic; Over the Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by fastrak Thu May 17, 2012 1:01 am

Ms.Thang wrote:
Big Daddy Mexico wrote:Thanks to both of you for your effort and reporting of the events. Not that I agree with what was said. Appreciate the effort.
flag waver

What was said that you disagree with...Would like to hear your perspective and what you gathered from the meeting from your point of view...

My apologies, i was not questioning the reporting. Just what yoou had said the police had said and were reporting. Just like your comments when the people were booing etc. i really appreciate the effort you guys did. I feel the policia are whitewashing this to keep people happy. I do not feel we are getting all the correct facts.

I was just commenting on your report, which I appreciate, but have heard different info from local people.

Thanks.
fastrak
fastrak

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Thu May 17, 2012 6:54 am

Question: Aside from the small players who seem more active at the moment, it appears to me that pretty much all of the recent big action is attributable to one group and they have been pretty much handled with arrests and busts of their safe houses in Riberas and Rancho del Oro.

Is that your impression as well? Or is it too optimistic?
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by NoTengoNada Thu May 17, 2012 7:10 am

I too really appreciate Grizzly and Ms. Thang's really good reporting. I hope that when the opportunities arise, you two will be our "official" reporters.

I personally feel that Contreras and company are under-trained, under-paid and unable to control the situation whatsoever. And you can't blame them. They are scared to death. However, in saying that, I still feel that they, like the realtors and TOB, are also in denial. That being said, we need to get either the Jalisco police or the Federales to be the "cops on the beat" each and every day. Lakeside would collapse economically without us. And they know that.

And yes, Chief Contreras, we need to learn more Spanish. So please help us. Have your people make us a brochure of phrases needed to deal with the terror of the times. And get it out to us, all of us.

NoTengoNada

Back to top Go down

Post by IslandGirl Thu May 17, 2012 7:30 am

NoTengoNada wrote:I too really appreciate Grizzly and Ms. Thang's really good reporting. I hope that when the opportunities arise, you two will be our "official" reporters.

I personally feel that Contreras and company are under-trained, under-paid and unable to control the situation whatsoever. And you can't blame them. They are scared to death. However, in saying that, I still feel that they, like the realtors and TOB, are also in denial. That being said, we need to get either the Jalisco police or the Federales to be the "cops on the beat" each and every day. Lakeside would collapse economically without us. And they know that.

And yes, Chief Contreras, we need to learn more Spanish. So please help us. Have your people make us a brochure of phrases needed to deal with the terror of the times. And get it out to us, all of us.

I was there; could not hear the speakers very well, but got most of the gist of the Spanish. I haven't been here that long and am really trying hard to learn the language, but it was unnerving to hear the anger of the crowd when someone asked for something in English and then the Chief telling us that we should be learning Spanish. I think most of us know and respect that, but it doesn't happen overnight.
That being said.... I don't think that the Captain gave me any information that made me or my Mexican neighbours feel more secure. Telling everyone that these incidents should be reported so that they an do something about it is little comfort when people are just plain scared to do that.
When I drove from Jocotepec yesterday afternoon, I saw about a dozen army trucks full of men lined up along the road at the 'seafood' restaurants. That was the most comforting thing about the whole day.

IslandGirl

Back to top Go down

Post by LMarkoya Thu May 17, 2012 7:38 am

I too would simply like to thank the posters for the time taken for the detailed reports of the meeting. While not there yet and still looking forward to getting to the area, all infio is great to get and much appreciated.
LMarkoya
LMarkoya
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu May 17, 2012 8:36 am

If there haven't been any recent events in Jocotepec, then how come a suspension of classes is being announced on Twitter?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next