INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Big Daddy's Sausage

+19
Jim W
Big Daddy Mexico
hockables
kipissippi
Solovino
David
CheenaGringo
Zedinmexico
prorader
Parker
borderreiver
fastrak
hound dog
Bartdude
gringal
johninajijic
viajero
ferret
CanuckBob
23 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Big Daddy's Sausage - Page 3 Empty Re: Big Daddy's Sausage

Post by ferret Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:02 pm

David, Gringal's quote is the first line of your post...Johninajijic wrote the second line. ;) funny combo though to be sure.

And I, like Gringal, want to know what those "additives" are. If I'm gonna get a headache, I would like to weigh the pros and cons of whether it will be worth it. They may not be sausages that can be eaten with Mac 'n Cheese for example.

ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:10 pm

Would that be Kraft Mac n' Cheese in a box?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:06 pm

Could be but I prefer the Swiss Knorr. If it's any kind with the "orange" cheese, then I'm gonna pay dearly for enjoying it. BTW, I did find Kraft with "white cheddar" at Superlake the other day.
Nuthin' compares to homemade Fettucine Alfredo but it'll do in a hurry.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:19 pm

ferret wrote:Could be but I prefer the Swiss Knorr. If it's any kind with the "orange" cheese, then I'm gonna pay dearly for enjoying it. BTW, I did find Kraft with "white cheddar" at Superlake the other day.
Nuthin' compares to homemade Fettucine Alfredo but it'll do in a hurry.

I thought the orange tint in cheddar came from added beta-carotene from carrots?

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:44 am

Solovino wrote:
I thought the orange tint in cheddar came from added beta-carotene from carrots?

That is a possibility but it could also be from Annatto. I just try to avoid foods that are coloured orange to avoid reactions but it's getting harder and harder to find "truth" printed on labels. Carrots are no problem for me...unless, maybe, Monsanto starts messin' with 'em.

http://cheeseunderground.blogspot.mx/2010/10/why-is-wisconsin-cheddar-orange.html

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-annatto.htm

...from the food intolerance network...
http://fedup.com.au/factsheets/additive-and-natural-chemical-factsheets/160b-annatto
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:12 am

Came across this link this morning. The comments are very interesting and bring us almost full circle back to "Obnoxious Children". We are what we eat...or in the kids' cases...they are what we feed them.

http://blog.fooducate.com/2010/06/30/articial-colors-in-food-a-poison-rainbow/

ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:29 am

I keep hoping that Prorader, the guy who told us good things about Big Daddy's Sausage, will find out what those "additives" are, and tell us.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:15 pm

Big Daddy makes the most difficult mistake a sausage maker can make. Big Daddy´s sausages are bland and without interest to true sausage lovers. A melangue of tasteless ingredients of no interest to the most unadventurous among those who presume themselves among those acquainted with fine sausages. Anyone who likes this bland sauasage has never tasted real sausage. What a pity that these folks may prevail And continue to serve tasteless crap to unsuspecting morons from the Canadian outback where Tim Horton´s is king. No wonder these folks have an overwhelming inferiority complex.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:52 pm

Time to pull a "Dawg" and reminisce:

My finest sausage memories were experienced on various trips through Germany in the 60's and 70's. I don't remember just what they were called but it seemed that most city blocks had one or more sausage bars. Generally these were small hole in the wall joints with a grill and bar style seating. So many varieties of sausages that I really didn't know what they were but I don't remember having a bad one along with some incredible varieties of mustard, good hard rolls and a cold beer. Back then, I certainly gave no thought to the ingredients but they set a sausage standard never again met!

It could have been the experience at the time and I am remembering a fantasy?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:03 pm

Last evening we opened the package and split one. Boring. So, additives or no additives, it was not a success. Too much fat; not enough flavor. The fate of the rest of the package is still to be determined.

I'll follow Cheena's reminiscences with memories of the Corralitos Sausage Co. on the way to Watsonville, CA. Good stuff. They always had a booth at the county fair featuring an Italian sandwich on sourdough rolls which included the sausage, carmelized onions, green peppers and ? Worth going to the fair.

Another sausage memory: On the road from San Miguel de Allende to Queretaro was a place selling Spanish sausages. More good stuff.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:53 pm

Docter Hogly Wogly Hot Links from Van Nuys by way of Tyler,Texas.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:35 pm

hound dog wrote:Big Daddy makes the most difficult mistake a sausage maker can make. Big Daddy´s sausages are bland and without interest to true sausage lovers. A melangue of tasteless ingredients of no interest to the most unadventurous among those who presume themselves among those acquainted with fine sausages. Anyone who likes this bland sauasage has never tasted real sausage. What a pity that these folks may prevail And continue to serve tasteless crap to unsuspecting morons from the Canadian outback where Tim Horton´s is king. No wonder these folks have an overwhelming inferiority complex.

I had heard that you were a "sausage expert" as are many from the booze soaked bayou where sister is mother..........jajajaja.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:40 pm

[quote="gringal"]Last evening we opened the package and split one. Boring. So, additives or no additives, it was not a success. Too much fat; not enough flavor. The fate of the rest of the package is still to be determined.
quote]

Which variety did you try? We had the Chicken Bratwurst; too smoky and salty and didn't taste at all like bratwurst. Today we had the Pork Breakfas sausage; I liked it a lot, good flavor and pleasantly spicy. Wife thought it good but too salty. We'll try others as we both love sausage.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:08 pm

The jury is still out on the "additives" before we try anything else of Big Daddy's.
Yes, it was the chicken bratwurst.......and it just didn't taste like bratwurst.
Too smoky and too salty, yes.

I think I'll do some market research on the various sausages at Costco next time around, as in label reading (I'll bring my magnifying glass).

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:02 pm

CanuckBob wrote:[quote="I had heard that you were a "sausage expert" as are many from the booze soaked bayou where sister is mother..........jajajaja.

Unlike Acadian morons who remained upon the frozen tundra or those who, after having been thrust from France just ahead of the lynch mobs who had the good common sense to emigrate to Alabama and Louisiana, it must be said that those who re-emigrated to the swamps after having had frozen their asses off in the arctic wilderness, are among the intellectuals who realized that rice and beans had it over poutine any day simple Canadian moron self-effacing jimbohead. After all is said and done, booze beats beans, Canadian fartblossom.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:18 pm

Jajaja.......sounds like you need another sausage, hillbilly butt nugget.

CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:04 am

CanuckBob wrote:Jajaja.......sounds like you need another sausage, hillbilly butt nugget.

Hillbilly Butt Nugget?

South Alabama Boys are known as Swamp Bunnies. Hillbilly Butt Nuggets are native to the Appalachian foothills that extend from your butt ugly frozen tundra into Northern Alabama, Appalling geographical ignorance on your part but you are forgiven since you are from a nation that boasts Manitoba Where, as my friend from Saskatchewan tells me, you can spot a lost dawg up to 29 kilometers down the prairie if you can find and wear your only pair of shoes bequeathed to you by your long dead but unmissed Uncle Sergie from Vladivostok who arrived in Canada circa 1897 for reasons that escaped him until he died in 1947. If you will remember, Uncle Sergie left Vladiostik for Canada because, as best he remembered, he heard it only rained 360 days a year and was, thus, a tropical paradise.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:07 pm

The dawg is in rare form Beer

Cousin Kippy
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : goofy

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:09 pm

Big Daddy must be proud of his "Sausage" with all this attention!!! LOL
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:28 pm

John get your mind out of the gutter,this is a kid friendly forum.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:43 pm

Lissen here, folks. When a guy names his product "Big Daddy's Sausage", the less elevated comments are bound to flow like beer in a local pub.
lol!

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:14 pm

viajero wrote:John get your mind out of the gutter,this is a kid friendly forum.

Kid friendly, you mean like PG 13 rated. Don't think so. Just a bunch of old farts here.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:52 am

Dawg stopped by the market at Hole In One yesterday morning for my weekly ration of Smokey Market´s BBQ pulled pork which Bama Dawg buys even though it is produced by a (shudder) Texan and, therefore, while quite good, cannot be considered authentically Carolinian but Dawg forgives them their accident of birth since none of us had any choice over where we would pop out onto the planet and he and his associates had the good sense to move to Mexico so, at least later in life, their cognition level went up beyond Houston suburbia so Dawg has become a devoted fan of both Smokey Market and Smitty´s BBQ which is also at that market but run by Maria and not the sorry Smitty who apparently cannot rise from the sack before mid day but, it happens that, upon having acquired some pulled pork and pork ribs from these two fine purveyors of South Alabama junk food, Dawg spotted a booth manned, or personed, as it were, by none other than the personnel producing and selling the infamous Big Daddy´s self-designated "Artisan Gourmet Salchichas Ahumadas¨ (the French, with whom Dawg has been associated for some 41 years by marriage, call this sort of self-aggrandizement "farting higher than one´s asshole" ) but, what the hell do they know if they let the Dawg into the clan based simply on hormonal imbalances the French have always admired and sought from invading foreigners.

Be that as it may, Dawg exited the market with a package of Big Daddy´s "spicy" Infierno Mexicano Sausages which Big Daddy Hissef warranted to actually be spicy and, perhaps to actually contain some habanero chiles but, as with George Zimmerman, the jury is still out on that so we shall see once we jurians have met over ice cold XX Lager to make our decision.

Now, Dawg found Big Daddy and his crew to be affable and Big Daddy and Dawg share some physical attributes indicating a profound, life-long love of sausages and dedication to the consumption of pork, or as we say in Alabama, "poke", so Big Daddy is OK in Dawg´s book which is filled with an excess of monosyllables and is only four pages long becuse of Dawg´s ADD which was not a recognized affliction in the public schools of South Alabama in 1953 thus Dawg only graduated from high school because thirty year old retards were unwelcome on campus, especially those whose life´s ambition was to drive a choo-choo train between Mobile and Montgomery.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:40 am

I should have mentioned that what one does with BBQ´d pulled pork is make a sammich which must be served on a hamburger bun (preferably toasted with garlic butter) with cole slaw and spicy South Carolina-style vinegar based spicy BBQ sauce. This really fine and addictive sammich must be consumed with ice cold beer or another libation in accordance with where one resides at the time and I say that because Dawg has resided in numerous places - some really nice and Fresno. If one is in Alabama, that beer should be Pabst Blue Ribbon. If in Jalisco, XX Lager and if in Chiapas (where they make some dynamite BBQ themselves), dark. well- aged Havana Club Rum with Big Cola and lime. If you are in San Francisco where Dawg lived for many years, a Stoli Dry Martini.

To make the proper pulled poke sammich, one must use a top quality cole slaw so Dawg suggests you exit the Hole In One Market and drive down to the eatery-under-a-tent known popularly as The Dusty Chicken which is in a field just west of WalMart on the right hand side as you head toward Chapala which you will probably be doing since you will have missed the tent only to have arrived at the WalMart parking lot and have turned around and headed back toward Chapala if you get my drift.

The Dusty Chicken sells fantastic small BBQ´d chickens in the afternoon with delicious sides one of which is very good cole slaw sold by the cup. Dawg loves this place even though I drove by it almost daily for years until told about it by a fellow I met while walking my Xolo LaLo on the beach in West Ajijic. Damn good food and a hell of a bargain.

That cole slaw they sell is authentically southern U.S. and this cole slaw and pulled poke is so southern, after eating this meal you´ll be saying "yáll even if you are from (shudder) Wisconsin.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:01 am

Today while reading an article about age and the ability to taste, this may be a partial explanation why some desire more spice than others?

“Getting older means that smells become more blunt and difficult to distinguish. As a result, our ability to taste food diminishes. As we said before, we are really only able to distinguish four tastes- salty, sweet, sour and bitter. The sense of smell enhances taste and provides those thousands of nuances that help us identify a flavor. As these senses diminish, food tastes blander.”

“Scientists have found that the sense of smell begins to decrease after age
60.”

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by fastrak Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:23 am

Was just at Big Daddy's and he is working on his newest Hot Sausage called the "Suicide Dawg" which should be ready for the Wednesday Tianguis. Should also have the Greek Meatballs and Souvlaki with Tzatziki Sauce. He also wanted to mention that the word 'Additives' on his old labels might have been a little bit vague. The only additives to his all natural sausages are jalapenos, cheddar cheese, apples, pineapples, mangos, habaneros, etc. he apologizes for the confusion. He also would like to remind evryone that all his sausages are available to sample before your purchase them at the Monday Market in the Hole-In-One and at the Wednesday Tianguis in Ajijic. Also, if you are not satisfied with the sausages that you purchased for any reason, he will offer a 100% money back guarantee. Sounds pretty good to me.
fastrak
fastrak

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next