INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vitamin D, essential for your health

+4
saege007
Chapalagringa
frkshnwa
drmike
8 posters

Go down

Vitamin D, essential for your health Empty Vitamin D, essential for your health

Post by drmike Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:39 am

I am enclosing a link to an article about Vitamin D and its ability to help with muscle tiredness, lift depression, fight off colds and flu and other uses we don't know yet. Canadians and northern U.S. resident need to take more Vitamin D as supplements because the northern sunlight, esp. in winter, does not help the body make Vitamin D. The upper limit for daily Vitamin D is very high, at least 4,000 IU a day. The RDA is only 400 IU a day. RDA's are not a reliable sources of what you need to maintain health. It means the minimum dose required to keep a healthy person from getting sick from a deficit of that vitamin. It is not a therapeutic dose.

Read the article and learn:

http://www.newsnetscotland.com/index.php/affairs-scotland/4268-vitamin-d
drmike
drmike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : yes

http://smarthealthchoices.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Vitamin D, essential for your health Empty Re: Vitamin D, essential for your health

Post by frkshnwa Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:55 am

One of the questions I have about our relocation to Ajijic in March is about the availability of supplements (at a reasonable price). The one I am most concerned with is DGL (deglycyrrhizinated licorice root). I don't really want to carry a case of DGL and ote more common supplements down with me but DGL is something I need to take. Anyone know if it and other supplements are readily available?
frkshnwa
frkshnwa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Location : Ajijic, Jalisco & Mazatlan, Sinaloa, Mexico (From Washington State)

Back to top Go down

Vitamin D, essential for your health Empty Re: Vitamin D, essential for your health

Post by Chapalagringa Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:25 pm

I'm not sure what the DGL is all about but I buy licorice root sticks at the health food store in Ajijic. I cut them into small pieces & make a tea out of a few. Strain as I use it. The longer it sets in the water, the more flavorful the tea is. Amazing! Initially tastes like a stick but then gets so sweet! Fantastic! Good for so many things. Licorice grows wild around the lake.

Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : all natural

Back to top Go down

Post by drmike Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:26 pm

Does anyone on this board know if the health food stores in the area can order special supplements for their customers?

Do any of you know if any of the health Food stores or Doctors of Naturopathy in the area carry DGL (Deglycerized Licorice Root)?

frkshnwa, you might check with the Naturopaths and Chiropractors in the area along with the health food stores. I know in the States many of the Doctors of Naturopathy and chiropractors carry supplements. I know I used to carry DGL for those who needed it.

Dr. Mike
drmike
drmike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by frkshnwa Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:10 pm

DGL Deglycyrrhizinated liquorice is used in the treatment of GERD to soothe and protect the esophageal lining. DGL is a form of the Licorice Root Extract in which the Glycyrrhizin has been removed. The Glycyrrhizin is known to cause negative side effects, such as hypertension and edema; removing the glycyrrhizin is meant to avoid these symptoms. Deglycyrrhizinated liquorice plus antacid is marketed in Europe and Canada, as a the medicinal preparation Caved-S. In the United States, DGL is marketed as an herbal supplement. Does the health food store in Ajijic have a website? flag waver
frkshnwa
frkshnwa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:20 pm

Did a quick search myself on the licorice root sticks as it was already on my list of things to buy, in fact, hubby just brought me home some sticks. My question that I'm still searching for is that being it's the sticks and not processed into a "supplement," should I have concern that the sticks contain Glycyrrhizin?
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by frkshnwa Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:02 pm

Doc??
frkshnwa
frkshnwa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by saege007 Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:40 pm

I have some bark type stuff (I cannot remember the name of it, but i think it starts with a C) that you steep in hot water, and then cool and drink that helps with GERD. My Mexican ex-boyfriend got it for me and it does nicely. I wish I could think of the name of it. Sorry.

Vitamin D is awesome. I have Fibromyalgia and natural doses of it from the sun help me a ton. Part of why I moved here. When it is cloudy or I don't get to be in the sun as much, I take at least 4000 IUs of D.
saege007
saege007
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by drmike Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:01 am

No to get DGL, you have to use Deglycyrrhizinated licorice. I used licorice to treat adrenal fatigue in both capsules and in IV therapy. It works great with adrenal fatigue. That may be why you like it so much. DGL is used for a different reason, stomach ulcers, GERD, etc.

Look up Enzymatic Therapy and see if they have DGL listed, it may tell you. That is the company I used to use for DGL. I purchased IV Licorice from a compounding Pharmacy in Texas.

Last edited by drmike on Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:06 am; edited 1 time in total
drmike
drmike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by drmike Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:04 am

Chapalagringa,

I found this on Wikipedia, maybe this will answer your questions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deglycyrrhizinated_licorice
drmike
drmike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:40 am

There are other more reliable sites, other than wikipedia, & found that information yesterday as it was something new to me. I'm personally not big on supplements however, whole foods, yes. My question is whether the licorice root sticks, the whole food form, contains Glycyrrhizin? Here is my answer, fantastic information! States how to use as a tea & to use in place of chocolate when craving:
http://www.herbsarespecial.com.au/free-herb-information/licorice.html

"It contains a unique substance called glycyrrhizin; by analysis found to be 50 times sweeter than refined sugar. It is detectable if only one drop is added to 15,000 drops of pure water. The glycyrrhizin has no calories, but the natural licorice root (from which the glycyrrhizin comes) does contain a few calories due to the presence of a very small amount of dextrose (1.4%) and sucrose (3.2%). This sweetener can be utilized by diabetics. Due to its sweetness and flavouring properties, it is used to make the bitterness of other medicines more palatable."

The answer is yes as it is the sweet in licorice. I'm also using licorice tea for healing adrenal glands as I have over exercised & stress.

Here's why it may be a concern to some:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/317509-benefits-and-side-effects-of-licorice-root-tea/

"Side Effects
The compound glycyrrhizin has many positive health benefits; however, the University of Maryland Medical Center reports that it may also cause several side effects if excess licorice is ingested for long periods of time or if the individual is predisposed to some disorders. These unwanted side effects include hypertension or high blood pressure, headache pain and low potassium levels in the blood. Licorice may also have negative interactions with medications and should be used medicinally under the supervision of a doctor."

Since my blood pressure is optimal, sometimes low, it is not an issue for me. And since I'm drug free, aside from an occasional Advil, interference not an issue. However, low potassium levels would concern me. It's hard enough getting potassium from food, which I do.

signed~complete whole food health nut

Regards to Vit D: Have a sit in the sun w/out sunblock a few minutes & eat your egg yolk. Can't wrap my head around buying a supplement when it's that easy.
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:29 am

I've never been to this health food store but they have an email address online:
http://www.lakesideguide.tv/shopping/ajijic/vital-health-food-store

The health food store we go to is also in Ajijic across from the tianguis. Since licorice is grown wild here, I have to imagine they would have some in the form you need it. PRASAD TIENDAS DE NUTRICION, No website, sorry.

DISTRIBUIDORES EN AJIJIC, JALISCO
AFRODITA
Beauty Clinic
Atn Karina Pantoja
01 (376) 7666187
Carretera Chapala-Jocotepec #155
San Antonio Tlayacapan, Chapala
cuatita25@hotmail.com
NANCY CHALONER
MINDS EYE

Organic market & Health Alternatives
Colon 30A
Ajijic, Chapala
www.mindseyeajijic.com
01 376 7664887

PRASAD TIENDAS DE NUTRICION
At´n Gil Velasco Viana
Carretera OTE 117-B
tel. 766-00-06
Ajijic, Jalisco
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by frkshnwa Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:51 pm

Thanks Chapalagringa for the informacion. I will bring down a three months supply of the DGL and hope I can either find it in Ajijic or Guadalajara or streatch it our untill friends or family can bring me some down.
frkshnwa
frkshnwa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by alfnannie Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:18 pm

You can order vitamins/supplements from www.iherb.com and they will ship to Mexico for only $4.00. Their prices are discounted, so they are very good. They carry the DGL, vitamin D3 and products made by Enzymatic plus a lot more.
It usually takes approx 4-6 weeks to receive your shipment.
If you place an order, enter code VED811 and you will receive a $5.00 discount on your first order.

alfnannie

Back to top Go down

Post by frkshnwa Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:44 pm

Thank-you for the information. Have you ordered their products? What were the import fees and were there any import brokerage fees required?
frkshnwa
frkshnwa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by alfnannie Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:07 pm

Yes, I have ordered from this company several times. Only once did I ever have to pay some duty (which was very low, approx. 50 pesos). The products were delivered directly to my P.O. box in Chapala. I also know of some other people Lakeside who have ordered from this company and some have had their parcels delivered right to their front doorstep.
If you have your order shipped to Mailboxes, you may have to pay them "duty".

alfnannie

Back to top Go down

Post by borderreiver Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:19 pm

Get yourselves tested for your vit D level. In BC the medical plan covers 1 test/yr. subsequent tests are $120/ea. I was taking 5,000 IU/day (not a typo). My levels were low - way low. I doubled to 10,000 IU's/ day. now my levels are good. I, like some, probably absorb poorly, and I live in Vancouver - hockey, yes - sun, not so much.
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : humor is spelt incorrectly

Back to top Go down

Post by alfnannie Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:06 pm

If your medical plan doesn't cover vitamin D testing, you can order a self test kit through www.grassrootshealth.net for $60.00. I ordered one when I was in Chapala and it was sent to me there, however, I heard of someone else ordering one and it was stopped (confiscated) at the Mexican customs, so you never know, but grassrootshealth had it shipped to an address in the US when they were advised that it had been confiscated by the Mexican customs. They will ship to anywhere in the world I believe.
Actually, 5,000 IU's a day is basically the most common dose being suggested today. Pregnant women are advised to take between 4 - 5,000 IU's a day. Have you noticed some of the children in Chapala/Ajijic who are suffering from rickets? It is becoming quite common again, even in sunny climates.
There have been several cases of rickets reported in the UK recently too.

alfnannie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:38 am

alfnannie wrote:If your medical plan doesn't cover vitamin D testing, you can order a self test kit through www.grassrootshealth.net for $60.00. I ordered one when I was in Chapala and it was sent to me there, however, I heard of someone else ordering one and it was stopped (confiscated) at the Mexican customs, so you never know, but grassrootshealth had it shipped to an address in the US when they were advised that it had been confiscated by the Mexican customs. They will ship to anywhere in the world I believe.
Actually, 5,000 IU's a day is basically the most common dose being suggested today. Pregnant women are advised to take between 4 - 5,000 IU's a day. Have you noticed some of the children in Chapala/Ajijic who are suffering from rickets? It is becoming quite common again, even in sunny climates.
There have been several cases of rickets reported in the UK recently too.

Rickets Lord have not seen that since I was a kid travelling with my parents around the world. \

Thats a sad one... :-(

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:43 am

Whatever happened to Eat Right, Exercise Regularly, And Get Plenty O Rest
Answer:

TELEVISION

hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by alfnannie Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:41 am

GrassrootsHealth.net - Vitamin D Action

‎"RICKETS, scurvy... words we associate more with Horrible Histories than 21st century. Except that rickets, at least, is becoming so common that 1 in 4 toddlers are now being found to have a deficiency in vitamin D, causing poor bone development and muscle weakness." This is a frightening statement coming from the UK... and it is closer to home than we might think. Where is the US' attention on this matter?~

alfnannie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:27 pm

alfnannie wrote:GrassrootsHealth.net - Vitamin D Action

‎"RICKETS, scurvy... words we associate more with Horrible Histories than 21st century. Except that rickets, at least, is becoming so common that 1 in 4 toddlers are now being found to have a deficiency in vitamin D, causing poor bone development and muscle weakness." This is a frightening statement coming from the UK... and it is closer to home than we might think. Where is the US' attention on this matter?~

That is shocking but while milk has problems it is good for vitamin D. Maybe in the US we drink more milk than the UK.????

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by alfnannie Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:53 pm

This article may be of more interest to expats living in Mexico, since it is unlikely that many of you plan of having a baby. Another website that you might find interesting is : www.vitamindwiki.com

http://www.fraserhealth.ca/about_us/media_centre/news_releases/2011_news_releases/new_vitamin_d_protocol_helps_prevent_falls_and_fractures_in_residential_care

alfnannie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down