INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are you safe?

+12
MyHomeSweetHome
kipissippi
espíritu del lago
viajero
CanuckBob
susan
raqueteer
Mainecoons
mikey1953
gringal
johninajijic
Chapalagringa
16 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Are you safe? - Page 4 Empty Re: Are you safe?

Post by johninajijic Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:23 am

The guy murdered in Riberas was last year. It was an unusual situation in that 2 gay men were friends with two young Mexican men who had just returned from LA. A very bad prescription of how things could turn out and it unfortunately did.

I didn't slam you. I don't know where you got that idea. How do I know how long you've lived here when you asked if Rancho del Oro was gated? Your statement made it sound like you hadn't lived here very long. If you drive in West Ajijic often enough, you will realize it isn't gated.

I too have lived here 10 years and knew after looking at houses which communities or fracc's were gated and which were not. I suspect Brisas de Chapala and Chapala Haciendas are good targets for robbery since escape to the highway is easy. I think Chapala Haciendas is more sparsely populated. Not sure.

johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by susan Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:20 pm

the gated places have staff, guards, they also break in. staff has friends & so on. best to do a survey for the last 10 years. (lakeside crime for the past 2 yrs)? see which places have the most break ins, invasions. as for drug cartels, there are different levels. (same w/addicts). its a business w/the top connected to banks & the bottom on the street, & the middle men. forbes magazine had an article about guzman & his holdings. he on a list of the worlds richest people, i think about # 700. put the security on & forget about the drug business.

susan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : none

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:39 pm

johninajijic wrote:I didn't slam you. I don't know where you got that idea. How do I know how long you've lived here when you asked if Rancho del Oro was gated. It made it sound like you hadn't lived here very long. If you drive by West Ajijic often enough, you realize it isn't gated.

I too have lived here 10 years and knew after looking at houses which communities or fracc's were gated and which were not. I suspect Brisas de Chapala and Chapala Haciendas are good targets for robbery since escape to the highway is easy.

Ok, all is well.

I agree with you that the looks of Brisas & Chapala Haciendas for the first time, I thought the same thing. Still doesn't change the fact that I would choose to live there. A buyer/renter needs to recognize that unfortunately, the non gated fraccs, will have to secure their homes to the max. Check out this article written by a personal protection dog trainer in the USA:

Requests for personal protection dogs have grown 25% in recent years. Crime rate continues to grow and in a bad economy, where unemployment rises and law enforcement departments experience cut backs, is inevitable that heinous crimes like robbery, assault, home invasion, rape and murder continue to increase. The worst that one can do is nothing and clinch to a false sense of security. We move to good neighborhoods, gated communities and we put our guard down assuming trouble will go else where but nothing is further from the truth. Thieves murders and rapists are predators and they follow their pray until they are most vulnerable, when they least expect it and where they can get their best return for their risk. They hunt in nice neighborhoods, they follow people with nice cars and kidnap children from families that can pay dividends. You can and should install an alarm system and perhaps even consider a weapon with proper training on how to use it but you cant take the alarm with you and you may not want to bring a pistol why jogging or taking children on a stroller. You may, however, want to bring your dog along so why not have one that will protect you. Do you all can to prevent been a target.

According to the FBI’s most recent crime report, in 2010, an estimated 1,246,248 violent crimes occurred nationwide. Aggravated assaults accounted for the highest number of violent crimes at 62.5 percent. Robbery, forcible rape and murder accounted for the rest.Don’t be the next family to fall victim due to False Sense of Security. Crime is happening in your area as you read this. This is public information available to everyone. Spend a few minutes researching and you will be surprised how many crimes are been committed as you read this and how many sex offenders live immediately or relatively close by.

Who would want to move to retire in the USA after reading that??? It's really a matter if you get caught up with how bad a place is, scare yourself, or take precautions, wherever you live & have a great life. The problem w/our local forums is that it's practically the only resource some people have for news or cautions so I think it looks worse than it really is. When I'm in the states, I don't give a hoot about crime & go about my life as normal. In a foreign country, we tend to feel a bit out of our element. Calling 911 isn't an option. That's why a panicked person goes outside & whistles at their potential intruder. Seriously, that's funny but I was frightened for good reason & didn't know what to do. I'm very vigilant but what am I going to do to protect myself if there isn't a man around? That's why I want a personal protection dog. I don't want to have any doubt that IF an attacker came at me, my dog would respond. It would really suck, if my dog went and hid. lol

We rarely go further than the health food store in Ajijic, don't like the bottle neck traffic there when it's busy & were never interest in living on the SJC side of lake. We are familiar w/interlago's subdivisions, very nice, & a few others but because I didn't comb through there, I still don't know all the names of the fraccs or gated communities. Don't even keep them straight on the libramiento. Unless I know someone who lives there, had a visit, I probably will forget. So thumbs up on security in the gated communities. Let's hope it stays that way. Now for the rest of us that prefer the solitude of living solo, we have to man the fort or get it manned. I think the community is doing a great job talking about it and people are taking action to beef up their personal security. Those of us who choose to be full timers will get it taken care of.

Lakeside Crime is incomplete but it does give an idea. According to that, practically nothing ever happened in Brisas or CH for quite some time. It was never reported that a maid was suspected of robbing several houses. She was hired off of the street. Finally, residences put up signs to beware. There was also another break in after a fire next to a vacant lot. But all these were break ins or no sign of break in but things were missing. If you go and look at these homes, once again, little to no security. We can't afford to keep ourselves vulnerable but live as you like.
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : all natural

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:08 pm

Riviera Alta is also a gated community with a 24 hour guard.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:39 pm

The Raquet is also gated. 24 hour guards at the gate, plus guards which patrol the roads 24/7 in fact just outside our house is one of the sign in locations. However that did not stop the thieves last week, so clearly more precautions are necessary.
We knew that we had a couple of weak spots, but didn't do anything after 12 years with no problems. Anyone who has experienced a break-in while in the house looks at things a whole lot differently. It's bad enough if you're not at home when it happens.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:52 pm

I'm sitting in my home and there is so much noise. Grinding and who knows what else. Wonder what my neighbors are building? It wouldn't surprise me if things start looking different around here. At least more security alarms. Obviously, that's not a big deal since neighborhoods across the US use them, right?? I barely even notice the new razor wire. It's just another thing for the vines to grow into so I can see their flowers. It's a beautiful relaxing day in "paradise."

We have friends in the racquet club that had a unwanted visitor while they slept. Remember that from a few years back? Intruders snuck in while they slept and knew exactly where to go for the goods. All they wanted was cash. It's a good thing the owner had their hearing aids out or didn't awake. Or another home entry, in Las Salvias, where hubby actually wrestled with the guy in his bedroom in the dark. Bad guy got away. These happened during the hot season. A good reason to keep bars on those windows left open at night or security bars over skylight type openings. That's what I made sure we had before moving in, decorative bars!

As I'm pondering these home invasions. Not one of them were break ins. They were a lay and wait type situation which is in our favor. If we're aware of what's going on or as in a video I saw, we can send a trained dog to check the grounds before entering. If the dog is on the grounds, I can't even imagine they'd bother waiting.

Then there's a few nuts out there that are entering the houses but not getting far when the reached locked interior doors and better yet, scared off by big dogs waiting inside. This is another reason why I have dogs outside and in. I at least want a warning. If I have a warning, cell phone is near and can call la policia. They'll come especially if it's at night. They'll come a zoomin! That I'm confident of. It's the seeing a suspicious person or car that I'm not sure about.

Last edited by Chapalagringa on Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added lots of stuff)
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey1953 Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:21 pm

johninajijic:
Are the houses in the gated communities "with an electronic gate and a guard" secured by some other means or is the community so "guarded" that locks, decorative bars, alarm systems, etc. are unnecessary on the houses?

mikey1953

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:42 pm

Sorry folks, should have included Riviera Alta and the Racquet Club in the gated, guarded Communities. My bad.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by susan Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:47 pm

john should answer the question. but i would do the bars as well. if some workers are around, why tempt them? bars can be very attractive. why not feel better?

susan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:50 pm

mikey1953 wrote:johninajijic:
Are the houses in the gated communities "with an electronic gate and a guard" secured by some other means or is the community so "guarded" that locks, decorative bars, alarm systems, etc. are unnecessary on the houses?

Razor wire all along our perimeter walls. Spikes on top of some walls. Some people have alarms and they're really not necessary, just more of a nuisance when your neighbors goes off without reason. Some have bars on skylights. Many have sliding gates over Master bedroom sliders so we can leave our sliders open in the warm weather. Works great, best money I've spent. Most everyone has extra secure extra sliding door locks and boards or rebar in the track. Thieves look elsewhere as we are and have been very secure.

Houses bordering the streets are easier for them to hit and that's what they go for.

Last edited by johninajijic on Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:57 pm

susan wrote:john should answer the question. but i would do the bars as well. if some workers are around, why tempt them? bars can be very attractive. why not feel better?

susan - I would NEVER live with bars on my windows, decorative or not. No matter how decorative, it still looks like a prison. If I had to do that I would move elsewhere. And it's definitely not necessary in a Gated secure community like ours.

If you are afraid of living in Mexico, move back NOB or elsewhere in Mexico. I have never heard you say anything good about Mexicans or Mexican workers. I have probably encountered and worked with more Mexicans than you ever will.

There you go criticizing the Mexican workers again. I would bet most of them have a better attitude in life and are more honest than you. I can tell you that most Mexicans are very hard working people, unlike the lazy frigging Americans in the States who purposely stay out of work for Obama's 99 weeks of Unemployment checks.

Your posts are so off the wall that I do not know where you get your misinformation. It's time for you to get your head out of your a*s because you haven't seen daylight in years. Wake up and smell the roses. There is NO SAFE place to live in the world.

Last edited by johninajijic on Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:01 pm

I'm trying to imagine living with the kind of anxiety expressed by at least one poster. I couldn't think that way and be happy. But that's just me.

If we were in that level of worrysnit, we'd pick up stakes, take our real estate losses, go NOB and move into one of those remote seniors' villages where nothing ever happens....and be bored to death. It's quicker that way. Shocked

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey1953 Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:41 pm

Susan:
You and I know that john does not answer questions that he knows will weaken his argument....
He tries to divert attention by attacking others.

So, I will ask again but in a different way.

John, are the gates and the guard the ONLY security measures on all the houses in your gated community. Or, do people living there also find it wise to use other security measures such as locks on doors, alarm systems, etc.?

mikey1953

Back to top Go down

Post by susan Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:20 pm

mikey, people do have additional security like bars (in gated communities). john chooses not too. if it feels like prison he is correct for HIMSELF. my family retired here, over 30yrs. i know a lot more than john. & i am not looking for a "life coach" as john & others constantly say:" i suggest..." "why dont you......" "why do you........". basically all of the above is its none of their business. either you agree w/my information or you don't. i have my take on mexican workers, & so does john. funny, but this entire thread is how to how "protect" yourself. did i miss something? could have fooled me.

susan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:35 pm

susan, in your 30 years of experience, have you already shared what you and your family are doing to protect themselves since all the changes in the past yearish? How does your family feel about the young police chief in charge? He's what, 22 years old? Do you think that's a potential invitation for more problems or less?

John may have said he didn't have any bars, but I believe he said he had a sliding gate for the bedroom to be able to leave the door open at night, "best money I've spent" he wrote. ok, that's good. Who does your iron work John? Or is it on one of those lists?
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:37 pm

mikey1953 wrote:Susan:
You and I know that john does not answer questions that he knows will weaken his argument....
He tries to divert attention by attacking others.

So, I will ask again but in a different way.

John, are the gates and the guard the ONLY security measures on all the houses in your gated community. Or, do people living there also find it wise to use other security measures such as locks on doors, alarm systems, etc.?

I didn't attack you. You are attacking me. Are you drunk or off your meds??? You obviously didn't read my post above from Today at 2:50 PM. I fully answered you in detail.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:42 pm

gringal wrote:I'm trying to imagine living with the kind of anxiety expressed by at least one poster. I couldn't think that way and be happy. But that's just me.

If we were in that level of worrysnit, we'd pick up stakes, take our real estate losses, go NOB and move into one of those remote seniors' villages where nothing ever happens....and be bored to death. It's quicker that way. Shocked

I think there's more than one poster who lives in fear of NOTHING. This topic has run it's course with the opinions of these aholes. They are accomplishing nothing. If I were the mod, I would delete the entire thread, but I'm not.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:48 pm

Chapalagringa - My iron worker is on my list but his name and business is:
WELDER (DOORS, WINDOWS, TUBULAR & STRUCTURAL)
HERRERIA ARTISTICA - Best Iron Work in Ajijic
Ocampo # 46 - Across from Manix restaurant on right - Ajijic
ROMERO (Hildeberto Romero - Speaks some English)
Tel: 766 3255

He might be a bit more expensive than some others but his work is good. There are several good Iron Workers in Ajijic: Medina, next to Telmex and the guy across from El Serape named Ismael.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:08 pm

He might be a bit more expensive than some others but his work is good.

If he's on time & doesn't change the price, it's worth it.
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey1953 Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:36 pm

what is the difference in a sliding gate and bars?

mikey1953

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey1953 Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:41 pm

Sounds like the gated communities are in need of more than a gate and a guard.

But my point is made. Everyone should live where they want to live and take precautions whether it is alarms, cameras, razor wire, decorative bars, electronic gates, or guards. And no one should assume that he/she knows what is best for the lifestyle of anyone else.

mikey1953

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:46 pm

Very good point!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:47 pm

Chapalagringa wrote:
He might be a bit more expensive than some others but his work is good.

If he's on time & doesn't change the price, it's worth it.

He won't change the price. Mine for BOTH sides of the 8 foot long sliding window was $ 5,000. pesos. You can do one side only without covering the glass on the fixed side for about $ 3,200. pesos. Price depends on the length and height of the window. He will tell you the bars need to be spaced 5 inches apart so no skinny Mexican boy can enter.

mikey - The sliding gate has a track top and bottom. The gate runs on rollers. You slide it over in the daytime when not using it. If you have sheer curtains or curtains on one side of your window, you don't see it in the daytime.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:54 pm

johninajijic wrote:
gringal wrote:I'm trying to imagine living with the kind of anxiety expressed by at least one poster. I couldn't think that way and be happy. But that's just me.

I think there's more than one poster who lives in fear of NOTHING. This topic has run it's course with the opinions of these aholes. They are accomplishing nothing. If I were the mod, I would delete the entire thread, but I'm not.

John, if I deleted all the threads you have not liked, all that would be left is your "Home For Sale" ad.....jajajaja.

Beer

Last edited by CanuckBob on Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:13 pm

mikey1953 wrote:Sounds like the gated communities are in need of more than a gate and a guard.

But my point is made. Everyone should live where they want to live and take precautions whether it is alarms, cameras, razor wire, decorative bars, electronic gates, or guards. And no one should assume that he/she knows what is best for the lifestyle of anyone else.

agreed! If someone has a problem, it's pretty natural for some people to speak up to protect but like I said to one victim, "you can live how you want." But I was glad to see his bigger dog in the front yard yesterday.

Unsolicited advice typically isn't received.

CanuckBob wrote:
John, if I deleted all the threads you have not liked, all that would be left is your "Home For Sale" ad.....jajajaja.

Beer
jajaja and John's recommended lists!! Which came in handy dandy for Hocks the other night!
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:15 pm

johninajijic wrote:

So velly velly true....and we're all so velly velly thankful. Beer
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : goofy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next