INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SLR Digital Cameras

+4
gringal
simpsca
CanuckBob
Jim W
8 posters

Go down

SLR Digital Cameras Empty SLR Digital Cameras

Post by Jim W Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:52 pm

I've been researching, and come up empty....as prices are over the place for 18 + mp cameras....Has anyone purchased lately, and what did you buy, why, and are you satisfied?

Call me a boy named sue.....LOL,

Thanks for your input,

Jim W Beer Beer Beer
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

SLR Digital Cameras Empty Re: SLR Digital Cameras

Post by CanuckBob Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:55 pm

Well Sue, what do you need 18mp for? Pretty hard to tell the difference between 12mp and 18mp without professional equipment. Unless you are blowing images up into wall sized murals I think 18mp is overkill....IMO.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:09 pm

What do you want to use it for Jim - that determines what makes sense to buy? If it's just for the occasional photo something cheap and simple. I'll look at my brand - older model - but easy to use.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:35 pm

I just bought a Sony Cybershot 16.2mp (yes overkill) with all the bells and whistles. HD Video, 3D pics, GPS tagging, 10x optical zoom, etc. for $350.00. Probably has more gadgets than I'll ever use. This thing even detects if someone was blinking or not smiling when the photo is taken........jajaja.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:43 pm

CanuckBob wrote:I just bought a Sony Cybershot 16.2mp (yes overkill) with all the bells and whistles. HD Video, 3D pics, GPS tagging, 10x optical zoom, etc. for $350.00. Probably has more gadgets than I'll ever use. This thing even detects if someone was blinking or not smiling when the photo is taken........jajaja.

Bob at my age everything is overkill....like my android......still looking for book called Droids for Dummies....LOL Beer
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:00 pm

Hi
Check out some of the sources in the states, and compare with Mexican $$. If you can find a good sale and free shipping, you can go the Merkalink route to get it here and maybe save a bit.
That's what we do with computer equipment as well as camera stuff.

It isn't overkill until you're dead twice.
Beer

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:04 pm

I was looking at some of the cameras at Lakeside Walmart last time down and the selection & prices looked reasonable to me. I would get one there or at Costco. If you want simplicity get the highest mp's with the fewest gadgets. Should be around $200.00 to $250.00 USD for a suitable one.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:12 pm

[quote="gringal"]Hi
Check out some of the sources in the states, and compare with Mexican $$. If you can find a good sale and free shipping, you can go the Merkalink route to get it here and maybe save a bit.
That's what we do with computer equipment as well as camera stuff.

It isn't overkill until you're dead twice.

Thanks Gringal....will check it out, however we are doing the every 60 day change in climate....AZ & Mx. Being dead twice reminds me of a funny.....When I owned a Cantina.../Sports bar at the end of my business life, ...I had a surprise Birthday Party for my 80 year old father....Brought in A Female Cop......had him arrested for Assault with a dead weapon.....Crack me up....My Mother couldn't stop laughing Beer Very Happy
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:17 pm

CanuckBob wrote:I was looking at some of the cameras at Lakeside Walmart last time down and the selection & prices looked reasonable to me. I would get one there or at Costco. If you want simplicity get the highest mp's with the fewest gadgets. Should be around $200.00 to $250.00 USD for a suitable one.

Bob, I enjoy doing time lapse photo's......plus others........I have 3 cameras and all work, just want to explore the world of creative photography.....I used to be a fan of Minolta, but there release from 101slr to 7000i.....would not allow interchange of lenses....which to me was a stupid marketing plan by the MFG. Smokealot
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:26 pm

Picking a brand is a matter of personal preference. Myself, I have always leaned towards Canon or Nikon but you can find plenty of opinions in that area too.

A little over a year ago, I decided that I wanted to upgrade from my compact Canon and did a fair amount of research. I accepted the fact that I certainly wasn't anything close to a "pro" and didn't have the inclination or patience to want to tote a bunch of different lenses around. So I was looking for a camera that might be a good compromise. At that point in time, Nikon had released a new camera that was getting good reviews and I put in a Santa request: http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product/Compact-Digital-Cameras/26212/COOLPIX-P100.html
Even at 10.3 megapixels, I have been more than satisfied with the photos. I really like the 26X zoom and even after taking 3000+ photos, I am still learning all of the features.

Nikon has released a newer version called the P500 and just for a "boy named sue" - it is available in red:
http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product/Compact-Digital-Cameras/26256/COOLPIX-P500.html
They have increased the zoom to 36X and the megapixels to 12.1.

I would agree with CB on the 18 megapixel thing. Even my 10.3 megapixel will produce clear prints up to 16"x 20". Now if you are really hung up on the megapixel thing, Nikon offers cameras up to 24 megapixel (D3X): http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Digital-SLR-Cameras/index.page
I have a friend at the Lake who just upgraded from a D3000 to a D5000 but since I haven't seen any dazzling new photography out of him, I am thinking the upgrade was ego driven. One also needs to keep in mind that with the new photo software programs, there isn't much that one cannot do!

Will writing this, a number of comments were made regarding various optional features such as time lapse that you mentioned. If I had the time I would make more progress with learning all of the features mine has by signing up for a Graduate Photo Course at the University of New Mexico!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:35 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:Picking a brand is a matter of personal preference. Myself, I have always leaned towards Canon or Nikon but you can find plenty of opinions in that area too.

A little over a year ago, I decided that I wanted to upgrade from my compact Canon and did a fair amount of research. I accepted the fact that I certainly wasn't anything close to a "pro" and didn't have the inclination or patience to want to tote a bunch of different lenses around. So I was looking for a camera that might be a good compromise. At that point in time, Nikon had released a new camera that was getting good reviews and I put in a Santa request: http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product/Compact-Digital-Cameras/26212/COOLPIX-P100.html
Even at 10.3 megapixels, I have been more than satisfied with the photos. I really like the 26X zoom and even after taking 3000+ photos, I am still learning all of the features.

Nikon has released a newer version called the P500 and just for a "boy named sue" - it is available in red:
http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product/Compact-Digital-Cameras/26256/COOLPIX-P500.html
They have increased the zoom to 36X and the megapixels to 12.1.

I would agree with CB on the 18 megapixel thing. Even my 10.3 megapixel will produce clear prints up to 16"x 20". Now if you are really hung up on the megapixel thing, Nikon offers cameras up to 24 megapixel (D3X): http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Digital-SLR-Cameras/index.page
I have a friend at the Lake who just upgraded from a D3000 to a D5000 but since I haven't seen any dazzling new photography out of him, I am thinking the upgrade was ego driven. One also needs to keep in mind that with the new photo software programs, there isn't much that one cannot do!

Will writing this, a number of comments were made regarding various optional features such as time lapse that you mentioned. If I had the time I would make more progress with learning all of the features mine has by signing up for a Graduate Photo Course at the University of New Mexico!

Thanks CG, Just doing research now.....When I buy will probably do it on Ebay, unless the counterfeit product issues hits photo like it has golf equipment.

Jim W
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:53 pm

Jim:

We happen to be firm believers in buying product from Costco and that is where my Nikon P100 was purchased. Their warranty policy is one of the best and we have never had a hassle when returning a product for whatever reason. Between their store inventory and Costco.com inventory, one might have to wait for a product to appear but it usually does. My second choice would be Amazon since they also have a relatively painless return policy.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:58 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:Jim:

We happen to be firm believers in buying product from Costco and that is where my Nikon P100 was purchased. Their warranty policy is one of the best and we have never had a hassle when returning a product for whatever reason. Between their store inventory and Costco.com inventory, one might have to wait for a product to appear but it usually does. My second choice would be Amazon since they also have a relatively painless return policy.

Neil, I am with you on the Costco deal........Thanks Again....When are you heading South?

Jim W
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:20 pm

"Carrying one of those around in Mexico is about as wise as wearing a Rolex and huge gold chains!"

The first thing that I did when I got my Nikon is that I tossed the Nikon neck strap! I got your basic black more comfortable strap and the camera doesn't draw attention with big lenses and ostentatious advertising.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:18 am

Jim W - Are you in Mexico or NOB? If you're in Mexico, cameras and electronics are 25% to 40% more here. I would NEVER buy either here. If you're in Mexico, pick a brand you like, go to the mail order houses in NY and have it shipped to a friend who will bring it down for you.

Several years ago we did that and had my casita tenant bring down an entire outfit.

We've been involved in photography for over 40 years (bllack & white and color) and have always had Canon cameras. The two best cameras are Canon and Nikon and if someone tells you different, it's the optics that matter. Both have excellent optics. Currently we have a Canon Rebel XT with an 18 - 80 mm lens. It's a good walkaround lens. If you're looking at quality Canon or Nikon, the starting price will be $ 600 - $ 1,200. You don't need 18 mp. Way overkill unless you're making 4 foot x 8 foot posters. 10 - 12 mp is way more than enough.

Look at two very reliable mail order houses, 47th Street Photo and Beach Camera. Do NOT buy a camera and lens package. The lenses are usually less sharp. Buy the camera body only, then select a zoom lens of your choice depending on what you want to photograph. Order a Skylight (1A) filter and a good Polarizer, a blower brush and lens cleaning kit. One extra battery. Depending on how much shooting you'll do, order one or two extra 8 MG memory chips. You can buy SANDISK memory cards in Costco here.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by frkshnwa Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:24 am

The original question was about an SLR. The reason you would go with an SLR over a point and shoot is sensor size. The larger sensors allow the camera to have larger photo sensitive receptors (pixels) which means they do a better job in low light conditions and produce better dynamic range potential. I am a Pentax SLR user from way back and I love my Pentax SLR but the SLR will be a thing of the past because of the advent of new "mirrorless" cameras. The 4/3 mirrorless have been around for a few years (Panasonic and Olympus). But the 4/3 sensors are much smaller than the Full Frame and APS-C sensors used today in SLR cameras. The new exciting developments are in the use of APS-C and full frame sensors in "mirrorless" cameras. By getting rid of the mirror more light gets to the sensor, and the camera and lens size can be drastically reduced. The Sony NEX-5N (16 MP) and the NEX-7 (24 MP) ($1200 body) are proving to be very excellent cameras. I would love to get my hand on a NEX-7 but the floods in Asia have delayed the shipment to the US. Originally scheduled before Christmas now they are talking April. Remember more megapixels does not mean a better camera. To get more MP you have to decrease the size of the light receptors on the sensor. Go to http://www.dpreview.com/ for comparisons between cameras and take a real good look at the mirrorless. They are very small and make a much better incognito street camera with the performance of the high end SLR cameras. They will be seen everywhere in the coming years including in the Pro-photographers camera bag. I also like the Samsung NX200 mirrorless with 20 MP ($875 w/ 18-55mm) which is more readily available today but it is also in high demand and the supply is fairly limited. What I like about the Samsung is their association with Pentax and Ricoh. They also have a good lens adapter that would allow me to utilize my collection of Pentax lenses. They also have a large assortment of NX lenses available and in design. We are coming down in March and I am hoping to be carrying a new NX200 with me. I was really looking at the NEX-7 but it is just not going to be available before we leave. The new mirrorless cameras also have the video capabilities found in most of the high end SLR cameras. They are not capable of recording for 3 hours straight but limited to about 25-29 minutes. But even pro-videographers seldom "film" takes longer than 5 minutes. I would purchase from B&H http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ or Adorama http://www.adorama.com/ and have someone bring it down for you. As previously mentioned keep in mind that the kit lenses are not necessary the sharpest tool in the shed. If you want to carry a small large sensor camera the new mirrorless is the way to go. If it to be really small profile get a wide angle pancake lens for it. You would probably use that 80% of the time unless you would rather zoom into your subject. I prefer to walk up to my subject and compose my photo. Best of luck on you quest.
frkshnwa
frkshnwa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Location : Ajijic, Jalisco & Mazatlan, Sinaloa, Mexico (From Washington State)

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:30 pm

Since we are having a discussion about photography, I thought I would pass on two spectacular travel photos I received in one of the travel newsletters that I subscribe to.

This first one taken in Puerto Vallarta is terrific:
[img]SLR Digital Cameras Stm4f010[/img]

Not sure I would have wanted to be in the position to shoot the following:
[img]SLR Digital Cameras Stm4f011[/img]

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringomojado Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:52 pm

My post about carrying around expensive cameras as well as watches and gold chains got deleted. I wasn't trying to be a jerk (maybe I don't have to try), only saying that when one flashes expensive objects in front of poorer people, one should not be surprised if they become targets of thieves.

Better to carry a simple camera and phone, no watch,no gold, and only the money needed. Also a simple home and auto can bring tranquility.

gm
gringomojado
gringomojado
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:36 pm

frkshnwa wrote: The original question was about an SLR. The reason you would go with an SLR over a point and shoot is sensor size. The larger sensors allow the camera to have larger photo sensitive receptors (pixels) which means they do a better job in low light conditions and produce better dynamic range potential. I am a Pentax SLR user from way back and I love my Pentax SLR but the SLR will be a thing of the past because of the advent of new "mirrorless" cameras. The 4/3 mirrorless have been around for a few years (Panasonic and Olympus). But the 4/3 sensors are much smaller than the Full Frame and APS-C sensors used today in SLR cameras. The new exciting developments are in the use of APS-C and full frame sensors in "mirrorless" cameras. By getting rid of the mirror more light gets to the sensor, and the camera and lens size can be drastically reduced. The Sony NEX-5N (16 MP) and the NEX-7 (24 MP) ($1200 body) are proving to be very excellent cameras. I would love to get my hand on a NEX-7 but the floods in Asia have delayed the shipment to the US. Originally scheduled before Christmas now they are talking April. Remember more megapixels does not mean a better camera. To get more MP you have to decrease the size of the light receptors on the sensor. Go to http://www.dpreview.com/ for comparisons between cameras and take a real good look at the mirrorless. They are very small and make a much better incognito street camera with the performance of the high end SLR cameras. They will be seen everywhere in the coming years including in the Pro-photographers camera bag. I also like the Samsung NX200 mirrorless with 20 MP ($875 w/ 18-55mm) which is more readily available today but it is also in high demand and the supply is fairly limited. What I like about the Samsung is their association with Pentax and Ricoh. They also have a good lens adapter that would allow me to utilize my collection of Pentax lenses. They also have a large assortment of NX lenses available and in design. We are coming down in March and I am hoping to be carrying a new NX200 with me. I was really looking at the NEX-7 but it is just not going to be available before we leave. The new mirrorless cameras also have the video capabilities found in most of the high end SLR cameras. They are not capable of recording for 3 hours straight but limited to about 25-29 minutes. But even pro-videographers seldom "film" takes longer than 5 minutes. I would purchase from B&H http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ or Adorama http://www.adorama.com/ and have someone bring it down for you. As previously mentioned keep in mind that the kit lenses are not necessary the sharpest tool in the shed. If you want to carry a small large sensor camera the new mirrorless is the way to go. If it to be really small profile get a wide angle pancake lens for it. You would probably use that 80% of the time unless you would rather zoom into your subject. I prefer to walk up to my subject and compose my photo. Best of luck on you quest.

Thank You for the links....have you picked up your NX200 yet? Any significant +/- yet? Very Happy
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:43 pm

IT SEEMS THE DOWNSIDE OF the samsung 200 is no view finder......Spendy camera.....using the screen....mas energy loss....how good is screen during sun light
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by frkshnwa Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:54 pm

I did receive my new NX200. I ordered for B&H in New York my preferred vender. This is actually the second NX200 that I have had my hands on. The screen would not power up on the first one. I was shipped another by B&H with two day UPS shipping and received great customer service from them. I have done some limited testing of the camera since we have experienced a freak snowstorm here in the Western Washington area. I am very impressed with how it handles and with the result I have gotten. I shoot in RAW format and am very impressed with the performance of the 20mp sensor. I also tested the video which was a major consideration I took into account in selecting the camera. So far I am very impressed. I tested it with the 18-55mm OIS kit lens that came with it and I was favorable impressed with it. Seems to match the online review by Photozone. I tested it with my Pentax glass using the Samsung (NX-Pentax K mount) adapter and found the results very exciting. You lose the autofocus and stabilizer capabilities when you use the adapter but since I primarily do Landscape and Real Estate work using manual focus and a tripod this is of no consequence to me. For a walk around camera the NX200 will work well with the kit lens. If I had my choice for a kit lens I would have selected the 20-50mm compact Samsung lens which is reviewed very favorably on Photozone and it is more compact. I found it online and it is very reasonably priced so I may still order it before we leave. As for pancake lenses the 16mm (a favorite focus length of mine) does not review well on Photozone and the pictures I have seen are not to impressive. If I was to get a pancake I would probably get the 30mm since it reviews very well on Photozone. The other option I am considering is the GPS which plug into the hot-shoe. I have a GPS unit but it is quite a task to get the files to sync with the photos. I think the auto functions available on the camera would make it pretty easy for the average user. But the manual and advanced capabilities are there for those who are more advanced. As far as the cost which some reviewers have frowned at I don't think it is bad....the NEX-7 is coming out with a price of $1400 with a kit lens. The price has been reduced since the preliminary reviews. The cost yesterday at B&H was at $899 but today I see it is down again to $699 see: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=samsung+nx200&N=0&InitialSearch=yes. I did a quick test of the video capabilities and liked the results. I have posted a couple of "snow" pictures at: http://500px.com/Imagenes_del_Paraiso . I can't wait to get it out on a more colorful day and start taking some shots. With this snow we are experiencing we are very excied about getting down to Ajijic before Easter.
frkshnwa
frkshnwa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Location : Ajijic, Jalisco & Mazatlan, Sinaloa, Mexico (From Washington State)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down