INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

News To Me

2 posters

Go down

News To Me Empty News To Me

Post by hound dog Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:26 am

While browsing Jalisco news this morning on Google, I came across this article printed on 12/22 in some rag calling itself Hispanically Speaking News. The article is entitled U.S. Retirees in Lake Chapala MX Fearful of Crime Spree and, while I would ordinarily give an article like this short shrift,, Google has given this highly distorted article extended publicity by re-publishing it. Among the article´s unsupported assertions:

* That there is a population of 15,000 Americans and Canadians living at Lake Chapala. (who the hell knows that?)
* That there is a "...rising number of for sale signs in the area (coinciding) with the swell of violent crimes as many are fleeing the neighborhoods they once thought were perfect for social retirees"
* That earlier this month, residents (not some residents, mostly foreigners mind you) met with the mayor and state officials to brainstorm ideas to make the area safer and:
"Among the suggestions was to raise taxes, an idea that residents were more than willing to agree to. Some stated that they pay just $50 (USD equivalent) in taxes and wouldn´t bat an eye is asked to double that if it meant a safer community."

As a resident of the Lake Chapala area, I cannot recall agreeing either to have my taxes raised or agreeing that higher taxes would in any way assure a safer community. The fact is that we also live in Chiapas where our property taxes are a tiny fraction of the property taxes we pay at Lake Chapala as is everyone else´s based on assessed values and the community we live in there, which consists almost entirely of Mexican citizens, is much safer than our community here although I certainly don´t buy the fact that, as assserted by this rag, there has been a swell of violent crimes causing many to flee the lake area. We sure aren´t going anywhere.

By the way, speaking of property taxes, in Chiapas we get a 50% discount on our property taxes since we are over 60 as do all property owners down there over 60. We don´t get that discount in Chapala and we sure as hell don´t pay the equivalent of $50 USD a year so, as Yosemite Sam would say, "Whoa camel - when I say whoa I mean whoa!"

Last edited by hound dog on Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:00 am; edited 3 times in total
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

News To Me Empty Re: News To Me

Post by Mainecoons Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:41 am

Yup.
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder