INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

cohetes

+8
MexicoPete
mudgirl
Canada_Mike
Mad_Max
Flamingo
BisbeeGal
Carry Bean
SunshineyDay
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

cohetes - Page 2 Empty Re: cohetes

Post by Lady Otter Latté Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:37 am

CanuckBob wrote:As a side note, in Ajijic the occurrences of cohetes has been dramatically reduced in the 11 years we have lived here. Back then you could hear cohetes almost daily. Now they only seem to be used at 2 or 3 yearly fiesta's (Easter, San Andreas, Day of the dead) and the occasional wedding/party. It is trending in the right direction........

I agree! First years in Chapala the saint’s day celebration was a barrage of cohetes at 6 a.m., noon, 6 p.m., and 11 p.m. every day for the nine days. Also on the first of every month it was a barrage at noon to welcome the new month. Stuff like that.

Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:44 am

Bottom line:  We (presumably) moved here on purpose.  Cohetes were here a long time before we were...so what's to complain about?
Dead Horse

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

BisbeeGal likes this post

Mad_Max and mudgirl dislike this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:33 am

gringal wrote:Bottom line:  We (presumably) moved here on purpose.  Cohetes were here a long time before we were...so what's to complain about?
Dead Horse

You seem to think that it's only ex-pats who object to ear-splitting decibal levels, when in fact many Mexicans hate them as well and are the driving force in noise bylaws.

You also seem to think that just because a person moves somewhere, they are not allowed to have a voice in what goes on in their community. Just because something has been happening for a long time doesn't mean it's okay.

Women being perceived as sex objects or not good for anything but making babies, cooking and cleaning was happening for millennia. Did that make it okay and nothing to complain about?

It's one thing to complain about things like workers not showing up on time, and not calling to say they can't make it- one's choice is not to deal any further with them, and irresponsibilty isn't something that can be legislated against.

But ear splitting decibel levels, whether from cohetes or booming music amps is actually permanently damaging to everyone's hearing, Mexicans and foreigners alike, terrifies pets,and affects one's quality of life. Just like rotting garbage in the streets, or burning plastic.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Carry Bean and SunshineyDay like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:37 pm

All I'm saying is that if the Mexican natives were AS upset about them as apparently some newcomers are, they'd have been gone by now.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:05 pm

Change takes time and is often a matter of education. Many people do eventually change their ways when they are educated as to why what they have been doing is damaging to themselves, others, and the planet.
I had a friend who was a nurse-practitioner in California and the majority of his patients were Mexican or Mexican/American, and obesity, diabetes and heart problems were a major issue. He said the hardest thing was getting them to change their diet (which can be said of many people of any nationality). If he simply told them that the way they were eating was bad for them, nothing changed. So knowing how important family is to them, he started asking them if they wanted to live long enough to see their grandchildren, because if they continued their eating habits, they likely wouldn't make it that long, which in fact made a difference in them eating more healthily.

I'm sure many Mexicans do not have the education to know that these outrageously loud events can actually lead to their babies and children and themselves suffering permanent hearing loss. Knowing that could make a diffference.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:44 pm

The real question is:  Why move in the first place to a location like Mexico where loud noises are common? When I moved here I was aware of the drawbacks and decided to move here anyway. And no, I don't enjoy the noise either, but I don't think it is my prerogative to spearhead a change. Many Mexicans are well educated and are aware of the problem, and in my opinion, changing the situation is their job.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:17 pm

gringal wrote:The real question is:  Why move in the first place to a location like Mexico where loud noises are common?  When I moved here I was aware of the drawbacks and decided to move here anyway.  And no, I don't enjoy the noise either, but I don't think it is my prerogative to spearhead a change. Many Mexicans are well educated and are aware of the problem, and in my opinion, changing the situation is their job.

Aren't there drawbacks to anywhere people move to? People weigh the pros and cons when deciding where to relocate, but that doesn't mean they can't work towards positive change.

I do agree that it is not cool for foreigners who have immigrated to another country to try to impose their own ideas and way of life on the local population, but that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with "spearheading" something, as long as the local population is also polled, and encouraged to be involved if it is something of concern to them.

And if Mexicans appreciate gringo business, being employed to build and renovate homes, having steady work as cleaners and gardeners, having them as customers of their stores and businesses, having those gringos pay property taxes and other fees and taxes which ostensibly raise the money in the coffers which is used to improve roads and other services which benefit all, there is trade-off. Gringo residents should not be seen as someone whose ideas are to be dismissed, either by their fellow gringoes, or local Mexicans.

What you are promoting is what what I call reverse discrimination, thinking that just because a resident relocated from elsewhere, as you did, they should have no voice in how things are done in their chosen community.

Residents being involved in local issues is the backbone of democracy. It's not all about gringos donating money to worthy causes.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Carry Bean and SunshineyDay like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:18 pm

I don’t plan to spearhead a damned thing but a law put in place by MEXICANS not gringos should not be disregarded. Should we disregard rape, murder, arson etc. because we aren’t Mexicans?

I was in Guad this morning and returned to 5 frantic, suffering dogs who still haven’t recovered. Animal suffering is not something I condone because of the “culture” when laws are in place put there by MEXICANS.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

SunshineyDay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BisbeeGal Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:20 pm

mudgirl wrote:

Residents being involved in local issues is the backbone of democracy.

I think this is more accurate-- Residents Citizens being involved in local issues is the backbone of democracy.

Many of us are eligible to become citizens, but few do.  Those who feel so very strongly about any social or political issue in Mexico should become citizens so they can vote, participate in government meetings, back political candidates who share their views.  

As far as dogs that can't tolerate the cohetes:

**  There is a new dog park at Tobolandia where a fee gives you all-day admission.  https://www.tobolandia.com.mx/dogpark

**  Most eateries here welcome dogs so you can take a few hours break at least 3 times a day.

**  I am told there are some nice boarding facilities if you want to drop them off for a few days; if you stay in town you can visit them, walk them, etc.  

**  If the owners and dogs want to escape together, go on vacation.  Most Airbnb's, VRBOs and hotels accept pets these days as well as airlines.
BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

gringal likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:55 pm

I hardly think I would be welcomed anywhere with 5 dogs and boarding 5 would be pretty pricy besides these fireworks aren’t on schedules. They pop up at odd times.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:34 pm

Question Carry. Are your dogs from up north or are some of them at least? My dogs from up north which only had for the first few years I was lakeside could never get used to the cohetes. And even my then new local dogs would get upset, because my dogs from up north would get them going.

Now, all of my animals, 2 dogs and 3 cats are from local rescue shelters and never seem to get upset. Again, I am in upper Ajijic where the cohetes are loud, but not that loud.
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:47 pm

BisbeeGal wrote:
mudgirl wrote:

Residents being involved in local issues is the backbone of democracy.

I think this is more accurate-- Residents Citizens being involved in local issues is the backbone of democracy.

Many of us are eligible to become citizens, but few do.  Those who feel so very strongly about any social or political issue in Mexico should become citizens so they can vote, participate in government meetings, back political candidates who share our views

Political issues, yes- for one thing, it's illegal to get involved in politics if you aren't a citizen here. And of course if you can vote, you have a lot more power to try to change things.
But I don't agree that one needs to be a citizen in order to be involved in social or environmental or health issues.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Carry Bean likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:51 pm

MexicoPete wrote:
Question Carry. Are your dogs from up north or are some of them at least? My dogs from up north which only had for the first few years I was lakeside could never get used to the cohetes. And even my then new local dogs would get upset, because my dogs from up north would get them going.

Now, all of my animals, 2 dogs and 3 cats are from local rescue shelters and never seem to get upset. Again, I am in upper Ajijic where the cohetes are loud, but not that loud.

All local rescues. They all are panting, quivering messes but these cohetes are very close by. I really feel for the sick animals at Ladron’s clinic and hope he’s keeping them tranquilized because they are only a couple doors away from the church where the fireworks are set off. Hoping since this is the last day we won’t hear them for a while. My bed is quite crowded.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Rory2u likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2