INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pot roast

+8
mattoleriver
gringal
dcampbell757
sm1mex
ferret
CHILLIN
RVGRINGO
ComputerGuy
12 posters

Go down

Pot roast Empty Pot roast

Post by ComputerGuy Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:15 pm

Who's got a good recipe? I've got a slow cooker. Last time, I got a "round" roast from Tony's and after 6 hours it certain fell apart, but was tough and stringy. We always used to buy a chuck roast "back home", but even after studying various diagrams of cow parts in Mexico, I am not at all convinced I can find one here. I remember my Mom's.... the cheapest cuts were so tender and the gravy so rich, that dark brown sauce covering the veg, the pulled beef, the potatos.

I read an article that said the majority of the new-fangled pressure cooker/multi cookers just couldn't provide the pressure needed, and that the old-fashioned, solid metal type with the dangerous dinger on top is still the way to go.

I guess I asked this on TOB a long time ago and got the word diezmillo

I'll share my own recipe for better-than-restaurant salmon steak.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Pot roast Empty Re: Pot roast

Post by RVGRINGO Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:29 pm

Chuck would certainly be better than round, but long, slow cooking is the secret, with plenty of root vegetables, beef stock, etc.
Do you have a dutch oven? That is what we use.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

ferret likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:01 pm

Recently had a similar experience. Bought 5 kilos of beef neck bones, meat on. Cooked a long time, but the beef was stringy.
The stock was fabulous. I think it is possible to over cook some of these cuts. The flavors of the meat and bone get absorbed into the liquid, leaving very little taste behind, but, again, wonderful broth.

My Mom, who could hardly used to be called a great cook. Used to use something like a dutch oven, thickly wrapped the steak in aluminum foil, after shaking a whole envelope of french onion soup mix on top, then medium oven for two to three hours. It was pretty good. Sure smelled good.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:18 pm

Tony has Chuck Roast from USA just have to ask for it. Cooked beef stew on the stove top nice and tender and flavorful.
Ms. Chillin
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:28 pm

My mum used a turkey pan with lid. Plunked a Rump Roast in it FROZEN. Surrounded it with quartered onions, carrots and potatoes and cooked it for five hours at 250 F. The tantalizing aroma of it filled our apartment for hours on a Sunday. She made the gravy with the pan drippings and Bisto. My mouth is watering.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

RVGRINGO likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by sm1mex Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:59 pm

Have tried several places for chuck roast including above and tough as nails.

sm1mex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by dcampbell757 Sat May 01, 2021 4:50 am

Diez Millo is the best cut I have found. The carneceria in the Chapala on Lopez Cotilla cuts it as I like.

dcampbell757
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat May 01, 2021 8:59 am

Anyone tried getting it from the butcher near Telcel in Ajic? His beef seems to be better than most.

I used to make it in a low temp oven (back when), like Chillin described. Haven't even tried here. Most beef is just too tough.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sat May 01, 2021 9:00 am

Thanks, everyone. Anyone else?

I don't have a dutch oven. Gave those away years ago... the 50lb. Le Crueset, the Romertopf, all those big pots that rarely got used and took up space. Maybe a lidded casserole dish.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mattoleriver Sat May 01, 2021 10:40 am

ComputerGuy wrote:I read an article that said the majority of the new-fangled pressure cooker/multi cookers just couldn't provide the pressure needed, and that the old-fashioned, solid metal type with the dangerous dinger on top is still the way to go.
There are lots of good stove top pressure cookers out there and the better ones don't have that scary old jiggler anymore. My mother was a pretty good cook but she was one of those who was afraid of the noisy old PCs so I did not grow up with one in the house. Now, I have an Instant Pot and and three different sizes of Fagor (now Zavor) stove top pressure cookers. I prefer the stove top style (15psi) to the all-in-one (12psi)  but I think that most people disagree with that choice. YMMV
mattoleriver
mattoleriver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sat May 01, 2021 12:01 pm

After using something similar to an AIO, I would also prefer a stovetop pressure cooker. But the thought of buying one for maybe one or two meals a year defeats me. I thought I would use the AIO way more often. Of course, that's just me. I know people who use their Instant Pot constantly. Of course, I also know people who used to use it constantly...
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by rafterbr Sat May 01, 2021 1:13 pm

Slow cooking is the secret. In a deep pan place the roast and cover with water one third way up. Wash your potato's and peel them. Use the peelings from the potato's to cover the roast after it has been salt and peppered. The peeled potato's I use to make mashed potato's with. There is something about the potato peelings that gives it a great flavor and helps tenderize it. Now you peel an onion and add the onion to the potato peelings and if desired slices of garlic. I agree it should be baked around 5 hours at around 275 degrees with lid on pan. Of course you need a roast with fat in it. Roast should fall apart with a fork.

rafterbr
Share Holder
Share Holder

ferret and RVGRINGO like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat May 01, 2021 3:15 pm

Get a Sous Vide cooker. I use one for all beef products down here. Steaks, roasts, tenderloins, etc.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

dvinton likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Halfglass Sun May 02, 2021 8:51 am

I have used chuck, sirloin and brisket for my roasts. All seem to come out fine. I use a slow cooker and  they are all fall apart.
First I flower the outside with  a combination of salt and Tony's Cajun Seasoning. I then brown the roast in a cast iron pot with about 1/8 cup oil or bacon fat. .
While is is browning I chop my onions, carrots and celery. Potatoes are cut to size but not added until the roast is about two thirds done. Keeps the taters from becoming mush.
When the roast is browned on all sides I place it in the slow cooker on top of the carrots and celery.
I then take the onions and sauté them in the same pot that I browned the beef. To the onions I add about 2 to 3 tablespoons of the flower mixture. This creates a roué and helps create a nice gravy for the roast.
Once this is done I put the onions around the roast and add the liquid.
Liquid is 4 cups of beef broth mixed with 1/4 cup catsup and a large dose of Worcestershire Sauce.
Turn on low for about 8 hours or high for about 6, depends on your slow cooker.
You will find that the roast is fall apart and the gravy is just right.
Enjoy. Pot roast 1f60b
Halfglass
Halfglass
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sun May 02, 2021 7:13 pm

Thanks; good recipe.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by inthecolumbiagorge Tue May 04, 2021 7:36 pm

I am sure I will be inundated with reasons I should only shop at local carnicerias but I buy my round roasts at Costco and it makes a tender and wonderful pot roast. We also use them for the absolute best French Dip sandwiches with home made Au jus. I like their sirloin stew meat to for excellent birria, beef stroganoff, my style of tacos, stew, shepherds pie, tamale filling, nachos, cheesesteaks and chili. Never disappointed even one single time.
inthecolumbiagorge
inthecolumbiagorge
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Tue May 04, 2021 8:02 pm

All sounds good. If it works, it works.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder