INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

paperhite issue

+2
ferret
beener
6 posters

Go down

paperhite issue Empty paperhite issue

Post by beener Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:13 pm

Can anyone out there give me directions on how to download books from flashdrive to new Kindle Paperwhite.
It is the newest model of paperwhite.

beener

Back to top Go down

paperhite issue Empty Re: paperhite issue

Post by ferret Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:20 pm

This is a SUGGESTION. I believe that you have to use a computer as a go between. This means that you will plug your kindle into your computer via usb and then plug your flashdrive into another usb port on the computer. Then right click on a title of a book and choose "send to" and choose the drive that is the kindle.

That should do it. And I hope that the files you are sending from the flashdrive are in Mobi format otherwise they won't work on a kindle.

Just send ONE book then, in the bottom right of your computer screen, there is an icon that says "eject safely" to disconnect the kindle and test it to see if your book has arrived safely. If all is well then plug your kindle back in and repeat the above steps until all your books are safely on your new kindle.

ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:21 am

Best to open the file  on your flashdrive, highlight all the books and move to kindle drive. If you send as a whole file the kindle may not "see" the file. That's what I do with my Kindle Fire.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:28 am

Sorry. That is what I meant but assumed that the OP would know that you had to open the flashdrive to access the books to be able to right click to send them to the kindle drive.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:07 am

Well you could slide the unopened file over there but the kihdle doesn't see the books within if done that way.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:34 am

Your best bet is to copy the books to your PC, then use the program CALIBRE to send them properly to your eReader. https://calibre-ebook.com/download

If copying files to your PC is a concept that leaves you blank, a friend will probably know how. You may also need the friend to download and install Calibre for you.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:29 pm

Calibre requires a bit of effort to figure it out. I use it to convert files to either epub or mobi depending on what kind of reader being used. However, if you already have the files in the correct format, I don't see the need to even use Calibre. If I download a mobi file, I can send it via e-mail as an attachment in that format or load it directly to my kindle in that format. For my hubby, I had to use Calibre to convert it from mobi to epub so he could read it on his ipad using the kindle app. Don't ask why but the kindle app for ipad only reads epub.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:48 pm

There are all kinds of ways, as you describe. For most people, Calibre is quite simple and helpful.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ltollefs Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:51 pm

Plus 1 for Calibre. It's a great piece of software if you have a significant number of books to manage. You can manage metadata which permits searches and sorting based on author, book title, publication date, publisher and others. You can add and edit tags and search for books based on these tags. You can convert book formats and you can read books from the built-in reader, and copy books to your e-reader. The price is right, too. Free. Runs on MAC, Windows, and Linux,

https://calibre-ebook.com/
ltollefs
ltollefs
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:59 pm

One thing Calibre has that I really use with every book is the POLISH feature. This takes the .opf information (usually the writing that you would find on the back cover of a book, or the inside flaps, along with the cover image) and inserts it into the front of your eBook. When you pull a regular paperback out of your library shelf, you give it a quick skim on the back to see what the story is about. With POLISH, you can do the same thing without having to read any of the book.

Since I usually have to convert my epubs to mobis for friend, I use the POLISH function first, and then the conversion includes that "back-cover" information (what Calibre refers to as metadata).

It does a few other things, too, like smarten up any off-kilter punctuation, upgrade the contents to the latest epub version (eg 3 vs 2), embeds fonts, that kind of thing.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:08 pm

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Calibre but don't see the need in the OP's question UNLESS the books are in the wrong format. Doesn't mean he/she can't download it and use it in the future. I got the impression that he/she just wanted to read the books on their new kindle.
BTW, if you have all your books in Calibre and somebody wanted to read one of them, you can just highlight the book and drag it to the desktop. Send an e-mail and attach the desktop copy to the e-mail. Then the recipient just saves the attachment to their desktop, hooks up the kindle or ? to their computer and sideloads it to the device of their choice.
Can't think of an easier way to share books amongst  friends.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by beener Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:20 pm

Thanks for all your help. All done Gracias

beener

Back to top Go down

Post by mattoleriver Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:27 pm

ltollefs wrote:
The price is right, too. Free.
https://calibre-ebook.com/
It is easy to donate a few dollars if you find Calibre useful. It is an excellent program and deserves support from the users.

ltollefs wrote:
Runs on MAC, Windows, and Linux,
One glaring exception is that Calibre does not run on a Chromebook. So far that is the only reason that I have found compelling enough to sideload Linux onto my Chromebook.
mattoleriver
mattoleriver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ltollefs Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:02 am

HelperGuy wrote:One thing Calibre has that I really use with every book is the POLISH feature.

Thanks for this. I was unaware of this feature, and I can see it being quite handy. Now, if it would only do a decent job of converting pdf to epub.
ltollefs
ltollefs
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down