INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How many of you are in the same or similar position as I in this issue?

+11
E-raq
RoofBob
brigitte
sandykayak
Trevor "poncho" Armstrong
CanuckBob
zenwoodle
barbicheesecake
espíritu del lago
sparks
Talosian
15 posters

Go down

How many of you are in the same or similar position as I in this issue? Empty How many of you are in the same or similar position as I in this issue?

Post by Talosian Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:39 pm

I came down to Lakeside 8+ years ago and literally on a whim, bought house on my third day here. My middle name is impulsive. I have never regretted it for a moment and I plan of getting back to dust here.

In the three months between buying and moving, I read enough to know it wasn’t realistic to bring a lot of stuff down with me, so I got rid of my car collection and gave most everything else to my soon-to-be ex wife, including the house and the largest collection of Star Trek memorabilia in California as well as the remints of my collection of automated musical instruments (many large items..

I did bring a few things I just couldn’t part with (pictures below).

With my birthday coming up in May (only consumable presents please), I gain started wondering what would become of these items. I have no blood family and I don’t think anyone I know NOB would want to come and get them if I left them to these people.

I thought about leaving them to my favorite local charity, but I know there is no way they would sell for even 25% of their worth; and anyway, I feel most people Lakeside are not looking to collect things.

I recall several years ago Barbara’s Bazaar was having an “estate sale” at the house of some people who had died and the heirs said to just sell everything. I saw a beautiful late 1800s cylinder music box with a stand and extra cylinders; Being a (former) collector, I knew this box to be worth, in a better economy, several thousand U.S. dollars more than what was being asked. Id didn’t sell and for a long time it stayed at Barbara’s store; I don’t know what ever happened to it.

So I’m wondering how many people here have thought about this kind of thing.

I would be interested in reading thoughts.

Thanks.

How many of you are in the same or similar position as I in this issue? PICT0003

How many of you are in the same or similar position as I in this issue? PICT0005

How many of you are in the same or similar position as I in this issue? PICT0004

How many of you are in the same or similar position as I in this issue? PICT0006
Talosian
Talosian
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : All over the field.

Back to top Go down

How many of you are in the same or similar position as I in this issue? Empty Re: How many of you are in the same or similar position as I in this issue?

Post by sparks Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:54 pm

Only thing of value is my house and don't think family would bother to come and try to deal with the sale. Probably go to Mexican friends

My grandmother did give me a similar music box with about 15 disks. My sister has that.

Be generous to those that need it most
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The joke's on me

http://sparksmex.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

How many of you are in the same or similar position as I in this issue? Empty Re: How many of you are in the same or similar position as I in this issue?

Post by espíritu del lago Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:04 pm

sparks wrote:Only thing of value is my house and don't think family would bother to come and try to deal with the sale. Probably go to Mexican friends

My grandmother did give me a similar music box with about 15 disks. My sister has that.

Be generous to those that need it most

I know exactly what you are saying! down to a tee!!! I am trying to figure out what to do with my house when I die!! And everything in it!! I guess I will figure it out before I die. I might just give it away. I have thought who I would give it to. My kid does not want it. I guess he might sell it?? He does not seem to care one way or the other. I still have not decided to sell my house.
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

How many of you are in the same or similar position as I in this issue? Empty What we did

Post by barbicheesecake Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:15 pm

When hubby and I moved here in 2009 we did the following:
-promptly sold both cars and bought a 12 passenger van
-put the house up for sale - sold at short sale six months after we moved here (no dinero)
-had a garage sale
-sold what we could on CraigsList
-left items with an auctioneer (most sold for a fraction of their true worth) - my piano sold for $65 USD Blackeye
-toward the time to move here we GAVE away many, many items to friends
-sold many autographed books; Stephen King, Ken Kesey, etc. at less than I originally paid for them

Anyway, just kinda relating to your situation. Perhaps you could sell on CraigsList or Ebay, however, I think you would need to ship items from the US to ensure that the buyer actually receives the item. Good Luck.

barbicheesecake
barbicheesecake
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : I shoulda been a comedian

Back to top Go down

Post by Talosian Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:34 pm

barbicheesecake wrote:When hubby and I moved here in 2009 we did the following:
-promptly sold both cars and bought a 12 passenger van
-put the house up for sale - sold at short sale six months after we moved here (no dinero)
-had a garage sale
-sold what we could on CraigsList
-left items with an auctioneer (most sold for a fraction of their true worth) - my piano sold for $65 USD Blackeye
-toward the time to move here we GAVE away many, many items to friends
-sold many autographed books; Stephen King, Ken Kesey, etc. at less than I originally paid for them

Anyway, just kinda relating to your situation. Perhaps you could sell on CraigsList or Ebay, however, I think you would need to ship items from the US to ensure that the buyer actually receives the item. Good Luck.

Shipping from U.S. wouldn't work as it would be very, very expensive to get stuff NOB unless I was driving, and I don't plan on doing that.

Just random thoughts.
Talosian
Talosian
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by zenwoodle Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:23 pm

You are dead...
It's just stuff..
zenwoodle
zenwoodle
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic, but nobody seems to get it

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:05 am

We sold our house and gave away everything of any value to friends and family. The remainder was either given to charity or thrown in the garbage. We came here to live with just our suitcases and dog.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Trevor "poncho" Armstrong Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:11 am

just make sure the paperwork is in the vw for me!! lol
Trevor
Trevor "poncho" Armstrong
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : sarcastic s.o.b

Back to top Go down

Post by Talosian Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:29 am

zenwoodle wrote:You are dead...
It's just stuff..

100% right, but the thinking is to make me feel better about what will happen while I am alive.

Talosian
Talosian
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:49 am

Well, how many people have genuinely admired the items? Are they special people whom helped you? Does someone you know need money for a really good cause?

In the event of your death either sell said items or give said items away. Or sell said items and have the money distributed to your chosen ones. Or have the monies set aside for your preferred method of disposal for your final resting place.

OR give to a charity.

I mark on the back of items the names of the people I want to have them. Also I will say handmade, date it, and if appropriate list the approximate value and update the items several years or as needed.

I will have two home to dispose of if I outlive my wife. We will probably eventually sell the place in Texas as it is to large for when we get really old and decrepit.
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sandykayak Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:00 am

Have a will and a designee to handle your affairs. Let that person(or two people for checks and balances) know your wishes and put them in writing. Notarized in the US sense would probably be wise in case of hanky panky

I would reward these people for their efforts by either a stipulated sum in your will or by authorizing them to keep, say, a percentage of sale proceeds. If that person's financial situation is robust, then s/he has the option of donating to another charity or persons they wish to help.

Perhaps you could hook up with a charitable organization in advance. But you need to leave lists, instructions, and photographs, and hope that your wishes will be carried out. Or someone experienced in selling used items (ie Barbara's Bazaar) with instructions for a 50/50 split with your chosen charity.

A friend photographed all her jewelry (and other stuff) and on the back she wrote the name of who she wanted to get which items.

sandykayak

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:15 am

Do not have the police come to your house! Make sure when you are found dead to have a doctor take care of the issue. Make sure whoever finds you dead does that. Hopefully you won't have been murdered.
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:25 am

Why don´t you use the thing as a coffin, that way you will be with it for eternity.
You probably could sell it for some good money to a drug lord, they love fancy coffins and this one sure would fit the bill.
You don´t have a problem just opportunities!

By the way I am not sure why you think you will have time to decide what to do before you die, you could b dead tomorrow and then what?

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RoofBob Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:44 am

What a great idea Brigette. If I chose to be buried ranter than creamated I'd buy that thing in a minute. bounce
RoofBob
RoofBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:54 am

Try Christies in D.F. just send them the photos, at least you'll get some idea of their value. Then either ship them over there, or have a chat with Tommy at Barbara's Bazaar. Great idea getting rid of stuff you no longer want or need, have been doing exactly the same thing. Things fall into three categories, antiques worthy of auction, higher end second hand stores, or garage sales.

Yes I have been there before a couple of times, so don't be fooled, do your research first. Check out E-bay, etc. before even talking to anyone.

I can tell you there's going to one helluva garage sale at our place pretty soon. I have no idea how we accumulated all this junk.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:58 am

Talosian, what do you want for the coffin? Is it authentic? Where did you get it?
I know someone who might be interested.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:01 pm

Well I admire the Egyptian Bookcase. Enjoy your stuff but don't worry about it.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:04 pm

If you die without a will someone will grab it and sell it or keep it, one way or another someone will be happy to have something for nothing.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:41 pm

Don´t worry Talosian; when you die, whoever comes upon your corpse will already have an Egyptian coffin and a rack of Guy Lombardo hits from the 40s to play at your funeral.

By the way, fellow Insiders, Talosian may be new here on this board but he is a local Lakeside veteran poster on Chapala. Com and/or Mexico Connect. A prolific poster at that. Hound Dog, then known as "Bubba", was one of Talosian´s historical webboard antagonists although not seriously so. Talosian used to write about his property(s) in the Caribbean which he left for Mexico then disappeared and has now resurfaced with his Egyptian and other less noted paraphernalia. Welcome back, I say.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by sandykayak Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:51 am

I STILL think of you as Bubba! And remember Talosian from several years ago...especially since I had to google "Talosian!"

sandykayak

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms Mac Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:50 am

Hi Sandy, good to see you on board! Yeah, Bubba goes way back.

Ms Mac
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down