INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Japanese

+7
Rosa Venus
RVGRINGO
gringal
brigitte
Trailrunner
CanuckBob
slainte39
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Japanese - Page 2 Empty Re: Japanese

Post by Clete Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:24 pm

gringal wrote:
One thing I've learned about dining out in Mexico: stop worrying about "authenticity" much.  If it tastes good, enjoy it.
Mexican cooks seem to tweak just about everything; some to the point of being a very far cry from the ethnic restaurants we were used to in the States.  Cream cheese sushi?  Haven't tried it yet, but.....open mind and mouth.
Rolling Eyes

No different than most places in the US outside of major cities. The garbage a lot of places try to pass off as Mexican are barf city. Cheddar cheese topped tasteless beans and rice, taco salads? Fettuccini alfredo is unheard of in Italy.

Clete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:40 pm

Clete wrote: Fettuccini alfredo is unheard of in Italy.

Not true Clete. Google is your friend. I think you may be mixing up the origins of fettucine alfredo with the origins of a Caesar salad.

Anyway, in the end, "it's what you're used to". If it pleases your palate, who the hell cares.

ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Clete Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:58 pm

ferret wrote:
Clete wrote: Fettuccini alfredo is unheard of in Italy.

Not true Clete. Google is your friend. I think you may be mixing up the origins of fettucine alfredo with the origins of a Caesar salad.

Anyway, in the end, "it's what you're used to". If it pleases your palate, who the hell cares.

I took your advice and googled it. The original recipe is really al burro and the cream was added in the USA. I know my Italian son in law has never seen it served in Italy and he has a cheese brokerage company there.

But I'm with you, if it pleases you, then who cares.

Clete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by borderreiver Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:57 am

My wife and I went to Suehiro in Guad for New Years eve probably 4 or 5 years ago. Short notice New Years eve, it was are only option and we had to decamp early. Sat at the bar. Ya gotta go just to see the place. It's a time warp with koi ponds, etc., totally retro. The sushi guys, one Turk, 2 Mexicans. Not the best knife wielders on the planet but awesome fish quality. Sashimi portions - HUGE. One of their portions would be 3 here in Vancouver. Sides plus a good little bottle of Sake $C100.00 plus the cab back to the Morales. Will repeat. The meet and greet hostess was Japanese, a student in Guad. VERY sweet and managed to get us a cab.
She was well aware that she was "the token Jap".
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : humor is spelt incorrectly

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:03 am

"She was well aware that she was "the token Jap"".

That's a little cruel, don't you think.
The restaurant has been owned and operated by the same Japanese-Mexican family for over 40 years.  Usually one or more are somewhere on the premises.
My family, and myself, go there at least a half dozen tines a year.  A family favorite.
Otherwise, your review is right on.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Clete Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:00 pm

slainte39 wrote:"She was well aware that she was "the token Jap"".

That's a little cruel, don't you think.
The restaurant has been owned and operated by the same Japanese-Mexican family for over 40 years.  Usually one or more are somewhere on the premises.
My family, and myself, go there at least a half dozen tines a year.  A family favorite.
Otherwise, your review is right on.

And the family has resided in Guadalajara for many more years. Japanese have lived in the city since colonial times. In fact there are far more multi-generational Japanese-Mexican families living in Guadalajara than most people on this board would ever imagine. My wife's best friend is from school days is 3rd generation on her mother's (Minakata) side

Clete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Luisa Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:31 am

Try Usagui, wonderful Japanese restaurant in Guadalajara. Not as elegant as Suehiro, but many Japanese diners. I especially like the fried tofu. https://www.usagui.com.mx

Luisa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2