INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Traffic congestion

+8
Gamina
Kiri
jrm30655
slainte39
ferret
CanuckBob
Trailrunner
David
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Traffic congestion Empty Traffic congestion

Post by David Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:22 pm

I had an idea today that might reduce some of the traffic backup that we are seeing daily: The two stoplight intersection is actually a glorieta (roundabout). Why not make it function like a true glorieta; block the Carettera and force all traffic to go around. This would keep traffic moving and allow continuous entry from all four directions. I wonder who to talk with to make this suggestion?
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Traffic congestion Empty Re: Traffic congestion

Post by Trailrunner Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:35 pm

Wouldn't around 90% of the traffic be going straight, with maybe 10% getting off laterally? How would that help? 

What about the daily gridlock through SA? Would a glorieta in LF help that?
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:19 pm

Good idea. It would help that the through traffic never has to stop and wait. The gridlock in SA is caused by the two lights in front of SuperLake. No room for a glorieta there. They should tell SuperLake to relocate up the libriemento and then remove those lights. Perhaps they could offer them a tax incentive of some sort.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by David Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:51 pm

Trailrunner wrote:Wouldn't around 90% of the traffic be going straight, with maybe 10% getting off laterally? How would that help? 

What about the daily gridlock through SA? Would a glorieta in LF help that?

It would help because no one would have to stop! The lights are there so that La Floresta traffic can get onto the Careterra but there's little of it. With a Glorieta they could get out and the East/West traffic could keep flowing.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:35 pm

That's true. There is very little cross traffic there.

What if the did away with all controls at that intersection and put one light (with bulbs) at Revolution instead?

Hahaha Bob. Tax break. Considering they probably own the whole block and half of SAT, not likely.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:45 pm

What little there is couldn't get out (left turns) until the lights went in. A glorieta solves the problem with no lights.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:35 pm

CanuckBob wrote:Good idea. It would help that the through traffic never has to stop and wait. The gridlock in SA is caused by the two lights in front of SuperLake. No room for a glorieta there. They should tell SuperLake to relocate up the libriemento and then remove those lights. Perhaps they could offer them a tax incentive of some sort.

I already suggested on TOB that the middle opening into the Superlake plaza be closed up... that's the one with the huge tope that you have to go over. Traffic gets backed up from people travelling west turning left there. Close it up and put more parking there.
What happens is that, if travelling east, you have to turn right at the stop lights at Fenix Realty to get into the parking lot. If travelling west, then you need a flashing light to help you turn left at that intersection to get into the parking lot BUT there is also enough room that those continuing west can get around those turning left.

I also agree with David that a REAL glorieta at the double lights in La Floresta would significantly help the traffic flow.

Don't know that lights at Revolution would help. It is a dog's breakfast there but most people are considerate about letting others in/over/through. If a Glorieta goes in La Floresta, then I do think lights may be needed at Revolution.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:10 pm

CanuckBob wrote:Good idea. It would help that the through traffic never has to stop and wait.

Traffic rules worldwide, no matter which way you go in the glorieta/traffic circle (right side/left side driving), the traffic in the circle has the right of way, so you have to wait entering the circle from the Carretera to see if the approaching traffic, in the circle, is leaving at your entering point or a collision would be the entering  vehicle's fault. Those coming from the opposite direction would not be indicating if they were doing a 180, a 270, or making a 360 because they forgot something "back there".
That's why they have traffic lights at Minerva and Ninos Heroes/Lopez Mateos glorietas in GDL, where there aren't any dissecting lanes through the glorieta.
It would be worse here because it is only one lane traffic each way.  Multiple lanes would maybe allow you to sneak in if you think/act fast.

Or maybe you  will just "assume" everyone is going straight through.... lol!
Auto roulette.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:19 pm

Maybe we should find photos of other traffic problems in other countries and it would make ours seem like a piece of cake. Six lanes of car traffic all turning left in Rome just about gave me a coronary...and that was 40 years ago... and I was the passenger.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:22 pm

Most are going straight thru.  Mexican are polite drivers.  I wouldn't expect anyone entering from La Floresta to have any difficulty.  Besides, Eastbound there's a 2nd lane for merging . OR, just leave it the way it is where NO ONE enters from La Floresta and East/West traffic backs up.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:52 pm

How many drivers moving eastbound wanting to turn north (left) into La Floresta each day. or the opposite going westbound.
In each case, unless you are willing to stop to see if that is going to happen, you are depending on someone's "politeness" to let you cut in front them? (head shaking).
I can imagine there are multiple people wanting to make this kind of exit every hour during the main traffic hours.  I certainly wouldn't stop in the traffic circle to let an approaching vehicle to cut in front of me, that's not the way circles are supposed to work. Then you might a well let them make left hands turns as the situation presently is.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by jrm30655 Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:04 am

You people have no idea about "traffic". Try Atlanta or LA in rush hour one day. At least this moves a little bit.

jrm30655
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:46 am

We're talking about how to improve traffic flow, not complaining aboout how bad it is here or elsewhere.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:08 am

I'm more concerned about the flow of traffic through the Libramiento/Carretera intersection in front of WM. It is a complete free for all, fortunately everyone is scared and drives slowly, but people are driving where there are no lanes, traffic to enter the intersection is backed up and impatient, there are few marked traffic guides, no legal way to turn left when exiting WM, and everyone is just hoping to get through it alive. Toss in a handful of pedestrians trying to dash between cars and runaway trucks barreling down the hill.

People are dying at this intersection.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:14 am

It's truly a mess and none of the authorities are addressing it.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiri Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:04 am

Trailrunner wrote:I'm more concerned about the flow of traffic through the Libramiento/Carretera intersection in front of WM. It is a complete free for all, fortunately everyone is scared and drives slowly, but people are driving where there are no lanes, traffic to enter the intersection is backed up and impatient, there are few marked traffic guides, no legal way to turn left when exiting WM, and everyone is just hoping to get through it alive. Toss in a handful of pedestrians trying to dash between cars and runaway trucks barreling down the hill.

People are dying at this intersection.

Unfortunately all too true! It would help immensely if concrete barriers were placed along the two lanes adjacent to Black Coffee and Walmart, so as to have only one entrance and one exit. Now it's like playing "Whack a Mole" with the car and pedestrians...
Traffic congestion Whack-a-mole1
Kiri
Kiri
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:31 am

I think some of worst drivers in the world are in the Lake Chapala area, Mexican and foreigners, conscious and unconscious, asleep at the wheel and more asleep at the wheel, ATV's and golf carts, That coupled with our 16th century streets (which can't be changed), garbage trucks and buses, which are essential, makes it very challenging.
That's why I prefer driving in GDL anytime of the day, any day of the week.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:34 am

I have no problems driving around here. Try driving in Vancouver if you want to see some crappy drivers. This place is a breeze.....

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:54 am

slainte39 wrote:I think some of worst drivers in the world are in the Lake Chapala area, Mexican and foreigners, conscious and unconscious, asleep at the wheel and more asleep at the wheel, ATV's and golf carts,

IMHO, the worst drivers are the snowbirds who seem to believe there are no traffic laws in Mexico! e.g. U turns in the village! I find the Mexican drivers to be courteous, they'll always let you in a merge and often wave you to make a left turn, etc..
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:54 am

Any other practical suggestions for reducing traffic congestion?
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:33 pm

The other alternative is sensors for the lights so they detect a car waiting. As it is now they turn red for no reason. The ones in La Floresta and further along in the village would be green most of the time. You would need push buttons for the pedestrians.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:59 pm

That would be good but likely too much to hope for!
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:52 pm

David wrote:
slainte39 wrote:I think some of worst drivers in the world are in the Lake Chapala area, Mexican and foreigners, conscious and unconscious, asleep at the wheel and more asleep at the wheel, ATV's and golf carts,

IMHO, the worst drivers are the snowbirds who seem to believe there are no traffic laws in Mexico!  e.g. U turns in the village!  I find the Mexican drivers to be courteous, they'll always let you in a merge and often wave you to make a left turn, etc..

Except on Sun. PM, when they are in a hurry to get back to GDL.  lol!

But true, the drivers violating traffic rules and Transito that are ineffective or just too lazy to police offenders even for mordida.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:02 pm

CanuckBob wrote:I have no problems driving around here. Try driving in Vancouver if you want to see some crappy drivers. This place is a breeze.....

I don't have a problem either and I'm driving a long Voyager, but I still find it more amenable in GDL.
In fact, in GDL, everyone (drivers) is so predictable that it is almost boring.  Very Happy  Less stupid violators and more cops on their toes.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamina Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:47 pm

When the traffic fines get returned to the municipio, I think the transitos will be encouraged to be more diligent.
Gamina
Gamina
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next