INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bad accident

+21
Ms.Thang
hockables
RVGRINGO
Lady Otter Latté
suegarn
Zedinmexico
gringal
DaveP
Intercasa
brigitte
islandiver
SunshineyDay
CanuckBob
David
DeborahM
windrider17
Flamingo
Carry Bean
Trailrunner
cajunman
zenwoodle
25 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Bad accident - Page 2 Empty Re: Bad accident

Post by CanuckBob Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:28 pm

islandiver wrote:
CanuckBob wrote:They can start with random "brake checks" at the top of the hill. Massive fines and vehicle confiscation for those that fail.

We know that won't happen so I wouldn't be surprised if we see about a 20 topes starting way up the hill, similar to what they did coming into Chapala.

Remember the hill before driving down to the Horseshoe bay ferry, the brake & GVW check?

I haven't seen any govt. weigh scales anywhere in Mexico and the only brake check/runaway lane I have seen is on the 15D between Magdelena and Chapalita just before that very steep, curvy section. Of course I have never seen any enforcement there.

The ironic part in this is the residence on the libremiento have been petitioning to eliminate the use of truck's Jake brakes because of the noise and this is what prevents a trucks brakes from overheating and failing.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:37 pm

Maybe trucks should only be allowed to access the Ribera by entering at Chapala?
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveP Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:43 pm

It's one great long hill coming into Chapala, just as bad as the Libramiento and a brake failure on that hill would be absolutely catastrophic
DaveP
DaveP
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : A little English

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:45 pm

Well that's probably why they put in those big cement barriers and all those topes. They have to slow down way before the light and if not they can run up against the barriers.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:48 pm

Trailrunner wrote:Maybe trucks should only be allowed to access the Ribera by entering at Chapala?

It would be difficult, if not impossible, for a tractor and 53' trailer to make the right hand turn out of Chapala onto the caraterra.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:57 pm

Trailrunner wrote:I just asked my maid from Joco and she said she hasn't heard anything about the truck or the driver, only that he fled.

Imagine the weight of that truck as it hurled down the hill out of control. I'm guessing it was full, maybe it was empty . . .

I'm still impressed with the safety of that Honda Fit - at least for front seat passengers, back seat would be moosh. Anyone looking to buy a small new car, that would be one to look at!

That was the primary reason we bought that particular small car. Since then, got rear ended once; hit large animal another time. No injury; runs like new. The pitts on the topes, though. It does make it if we go sloooowly. Very slowly. Very Happy

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:33 pm

Hard to tell but it was a HRV which is a newer Fit with a bigger body. Our old style Fit Gringal are only four stars. Newer Fits/HRV are five stars. Not sure she would have done as well with older Fit like we have.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by islandiver Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:55 pm

How many air bags does the Fit/HRV have in Mexico?

islandiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:51 pm

I heard (and sure hope it's not true) that 2 of the people in that accident have died. Again, nothing official.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:17 pm

Again, we've heard nada about the occupants of the van. If there were people in the back of it they were surely unrestrained and are probably fatalities. If the person/people in the front were restrained they could be ok. Or not.

I heard today that the pipa truck accident that day was followed by a motorcycle accident around 9pm at the same location. I don't know anything about how those people did either.

In terms of the Santorini accident into the vivero a few days prior, Pepsi has insurance but they are refusing to pay for the plants they destroyed, saying 'they were only plants' - 24,000 pesos worth.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by suegarn Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:42 am

Trailrunner wrote:Again, we've heard nada about the occupants of the van. If there were people in the back of it they were surely unrestrained and are probably fatalities. If the person/people in the front were restrained they could be ok. Or not.

I heard today that the pipa truck accident that day was followed by a motorcycle accident around 9pm at the same location. I don't know anything about how those people did either.

In terms of the Santorini accident into the vivero a few days prior, Pepsi has insurance but they are refusing to pay for the plants they destroyed, saying 'they were only plants' - 24,000 pesos worth.

24,000 pesos worth of plants, as compared to what could have happened? Big deal! I think the Santorini driver should be commended for his quick thinking and avoidance skills.

suegarn
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:55 am

Sue, the point Trailrunner made is that Pepsi is refusing to pay for the damage, not that the driver should have gone through the intersection instead. If the truck had crashed into your property and done 24,000 pesos worth of damage would you joyfully pay for repairs yourself because it was no big deal?
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by suegarn Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:19 am

Lady Otter Latté wrote:Sue, the point Trailrunner made is that Pepsi is refusing to pay for the damage, not that the driver should have gone through the intersection instead. If the truck had crashed into your property and done 24,000 pesos worth of damage would you joyfully pay for repairs yourself because it was no big deal?

Given what could have happened, yes, I would much rather pay for the repairs than think of what the alternative might have been.

I find it hard to believe that Pepsi is refusing to pay for the plants.....can someone show me the proof of that? Why would they damage their reputation over such a small amount of money?

suegarn
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:54 am

Read carefully: It is the insurance company which is refusing to pay for the plants.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:57 am

The bigger, far more important question, is why did the brakes fail on the Pepsi truck. I hope Pepsi gets a huge fine for having either improperly maintained equipment and/or improperly trained driver.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:58 am

So, companies and drivers should not be responsible for damage to property as long as not causing the damage would been worse? No need to properly maintain trucks, obey laws or train drivers because the company is not responsible for property damages? Sounds like a brilliant plan.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by suegarn Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:23 pm

Lady Otter Latté wrote:So,  companies and drivers should not be responsible for damage to property as long as not causing the damage would been worse? No need to properly maintain trucks, obey laws or train drivers because the company is not responsible for property damages? Sounds like a brilliant plan.

If you are making this comment to me, I never said that companies and drivers shouldn't be responsible. In fact, I said that I believe that Pepsi will pay for the damages, instead of harming their reputation over such a small amount.

suegarn
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by suegarn Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:27 pm

CanuckBob wrote:The bigger, far more important question, is why did the brakes fail on the Pepsi truck. I hope Pepsi gets a huge fine for having either improperly maintained equipment and/or improperly trained driver.

I'm sure there will be a complete inspection done on that truck by either the police, Pepsi, or their insurance company to determine what exactly happened. We can't assume automatically that it was due to improperly maintained equipment or improperly trained driver.
And in the case of the driver, as I said before, I think that he should be commended for his quick action to avoid something which could have been much worse.

suegarn
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by cajunman Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:00 pm

I didn't see a Pepsi/Santorini Truck in the vivero, BUT I did see a Coca Cola Truck

cajunman

Back to top Go down

Post by islandiver Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:44 pm

cajunman wrote:I didn't see a Pepsi/Santorini Truck in the vivero, BUT I did see a Coca Cola Truck

The real thing, Eh

islandiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by suegarn Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:58 pm

cajunman wrote:I didn't see a Pepsi/Santorini Truck in the vivero, BUT I did see a Coca Cola Truck

Sorry cajunman, but you better look again closely. It's definitely a Pepsi-owned truck!

http://www.theguadalajarareporter.com/index.php/news/news/lake-chapala/48846-deft-truck-driver-avoids-serious-accident-at-libramiento-junction

suegarn
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:08 pm

islandiver wrote:How many air bags does the Fit/HRV have in Mexico?

My 2013 or the last of the old Fits had two in front and two in side of front seats.  Newer Fits have same and add curtain airbags for rollover.  Older old Fits may only have front bags. Check for details as old Fits for US are made in Japan and are different from Brazil made old Fits we can buy on used market here.   In other words your mileage may vary due to localization of models. FYI almost all the old Fits have been recalled for airbags as Honda was the biggest user of the defective airbags. Age and humidity added to the failure rate. I received a recall notice for my 2013 Brazil made model from my dealer next to Gallerias. Check your VIN number with a dealer in Guadalajara. I know nothing about HRV other than it uses the Fit as its base.

Last edited by Zedinmexico on Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:18 pm; edited 2 times in total

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:10 pm

suegarn wrote:
Lady Otter Latté wrote:So,  companies and drivers should not be responsible for damage to property as long as not causing the damage would been worse? No need to properly maintain trucks, obey laws or train drivers because the company is not responsible for property damages? Sounds like a brilliant plan.

If you are making this comment to me, I never said that companies and drivers shouldn't be responsible.  In fact, I said that I believe that Pepsi will pay for the damages, instead of harming their reputation over such a small amount.

Having spent 25 years in the trucking business I can assure you it is one or the other. Properly maintained brakes along with a competent driver don't fail down a minor hill such as the libremiento is.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:20 pm

Nailed it.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:26 pm

C.B. is correct brake failure on trucks is much rarer than it was when we were young if you do the required maintenance.  The hill while long is not that steep. After driving five years in the mountains with a 35,000lb straight rig truck without exhaust/Jake brake I do assure you many mexican mid size truck drivers do wait to the last minute to brake and sometimes thats too late. Not making comments on the skill of the drivers just commenting on what I see from all these freightliner two axle trucks that are all around us.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:07 pm

Wait . . . You guys were big rig drivers?
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next