INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tripps....bring your credit card!!!!!

+28
coffeeguy
Smartalex
gvprod
JayBear
rjhart
espíritu del lago
Carry Bean
WillieRae
Clueless
simpsca
Hensley
David
oncesubtle
DaveP
slainte39
zenwoodle
ferret
islandiver
Vandre
Gamina
Trailrunner
CanuckBob
gringal
twelveoaks
Lady Otter Latté
hockables
hickton
cornedbeefrick
32 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Tripps....bring your credit card!!!!! - Page 5 Empty Re: Tripps....bring your credit card!!!!!

Post by brigitte Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:28 am

We did not have refrigeration after the war and we ate steach hache which is ground beef or horse meat but I sure would not claim that we ate hamburgers.. same with the Mexicans..
You do not need to tell me Mexicans  eat hamburgers now,, I live a block from Burger King and it is all Mexicans including indigenous so things change but it is still not a traditional Mexican Mexican food and same with pizzas and many other dishes.
In all the joints around and in  the market no hamburgers are sold..

They also sell hot dogs on the street  with the worst winners ...Is that a Mexican dish as well?  I guess in a way they are because they could not be sold anywhere but in France or Mexico where people have no clue  of how delicious they can be.

We have burgers and hot dogs in France to and we consider them as an import from the US culture , we do not consider them French and I do not think the Mexicans look at them as Mexican either.. actually when we have anti US spills around here the burger joints are the first one people are against..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Tripps....bring your credit card!!!!! - Page 5 Empty Re: Tripps....bring your credit card!!!!!

Post by RVGRINGO Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:49 am

US imports? Did they originate in Hamburg, NY and Frankfurt, KY?
All this time, I thought they originated in a country much closer to France. scratch

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:51 am

Sorry but the ones we know are  from the US.. call it what you want they are the symbol of US junk food. In Europe it was not a sandwich,. THe hamburger as we know it is a US invention.. I live near Frankfurt and never had hot dogs from there resembling the US hot dogs either . The wieners are different

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:01 am

Just a thought:  what makes a dish "junk food"?  Is it the poor quality of the ingredients, the preparation or the kind of place it's sold?

Speaking for the humble hot dog, aka a "frankfurter", the local Tuesday market features a sausage maker who offers one that has that authentic taste but honest ingredients.  Some restaurants feature a "hamburger" made with the best of ground sirloin and good cheese.
Can we call that "junk food"?  IMO; no.  
The trouble with those two dishes, in particular, is that they can be made out of "junk" that's bad for anyone's body.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:24 am

I would think the concept of grinding fresh meat, because it was so tough, then adding spices, to disguise bad flavours, grilling the meat mush, and serving on a grain based flatbread, has been around a lot longer than Europe.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:52 am

gringal wrote:Just a thought:  what makes a dish "junk food"?  Is it the poor quality of the ingredients, the preparation or the kind of place it's sold?

Speaking for the humble hot dog, aka a "frankfurter", the local Tuesday market features a sausage maker who offers one that has that authentic taste but honest ingredients.  Some restaurants feature a "hamburger" made with the best of ground sirloin and good cheese.
Can we call that "junk food"?  IMO; no.  
The trouble with those two dishes, in particular, is that they can be made out of "junk" that's bad for anyone's body.

I think of junk food as snack food high in calories with little or no nutritional value like chips, candy, ice cream, and Cheetos type crap. Hot dogs and hamburgers to me are fast food. Although I just saw this article which says its main appeal is that it is cheap.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jul/30/call-fast-food-by-its-real-name-cheap-food?CMP=fb_gu
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:19 pm

It's cheap and fast, as the article states. But cheap is also the wrong word unless you detail why it's cheaper... 1) less rent to pay 2) no wait staff to pay 3) less utilities to pay 4) no dishes to purchase or keep clean or store. In other words, there's a number of reasons why it should be cheaper but does not have anything to do with the cost of the ingredients used. imho.
I probably go to Tripps a couple of times a month. As far as the fast food court at the Laguna Mall goes, I appreciate being able to pick something up and take it home. IT'S CONVENIENT.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:34 pm

Mexicans have been eating tacos de bistec or carne asada for as long as I can remember. These are of res picada, which is nothing more than very coarse ground beef, covered with onion, jitomate, cilantro, salsas, etc., etc. in a tortilla of maiz.
So the evolution to ground beef in pan de trigo is not that great.  Mexicans have had salchichas, (ground meat) known as chorizo, chistorro, hot dogs, etc., that have been around a long time also.  The fact that the Spanish language doesn't use words like wiener, frankfurter, or hamburger, doesn't mean we haven't had a form of this type of eating meat for a long time.
What you probably don't like is names like Burger King, etc. but we had a limited chain of Mexican hamburger restaurants long before McDonald's, called Sanborn's, since at least 1975. Lala milk and Bimbo bread are in the US now, so chalk that up to revenge if that is what you want.
BTW, most burgers places do use Mexican beef. (and Mexican lettuce, tomatoes, cebollas, pepinillos, mostaza, catsup, mayonesa.
Try telling a Mexican he can't use moztaza or mayonesa because it's not traditional Mexican food, and see what you get. lol!

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:45 pm

The first hamburgers I ever saw in Mexico was in the late 60s in Mazatlan. One puesto went up every night, smelling great and greasy, with buns and condiments, and strung overhead with bare bulbs on the malecon and the line of surfers and locals was around the block every night.We loved those Mexican hamburgers, and so did every one else!
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:49 pm

The Mexican's do have a love affair with those cheap crappy (made from lips & arseholes) wieners. They must have 20 different brands at Walmart. You see them at concession stands cut into little chunks and served in cups....raw. Yuck.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:18 pm

Well. as Otto von Bismarck said, from that country famous for making sausage...."If you like sausage, then you don't want to see it being made".
Protein is protein, and waste is not acceptable in countries where the GDP per person is very low.
I remember a person at a slaughtering facility telling me once that mortadela (sausage), popular in Latin America was made from the scrapings off the floor after the day's kill, buthering, and processing was finished.
In Ireland we eat black and white pudding which is animal blood mixed with oat meal, as a filler, and it is absolutely delicious.  (and why the Irish will come out on top in a bar room brawl),,,, lol!

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:22 pm

Bimbo bought out Wonder bread, didn't it? Don't ever eat Fud hotdogs. Lordy, they're revolting. I wish we could get Nathan's hot dogs here but Costco's are good.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:40 pm

My complaint isn't so much about the burgers, unless they are those godawful frozen patties, full of extenders (even if you burn them, they are still mushy), but rather the buns which are often soft, no gluten and stale. Time for B.Y.O.B. burgers - bring your own bun! I like the Scandanavian deli ones - they can take a beating and soaking.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5